Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
There's a simple rule of thumb for North America -- if it's interesting and made in Europe by an American company, we don't have it.

The Fiesta is apparently about to break that rule, but by and large it's practically a law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Where's the Caravan turbo?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

el topo posted:

There's a simple rule of thumb for North America -- if it's interesting and made in Europe by an American company, we don't have it.

The Fiesta is apparently about to break that rule, but by and large it's practically a law.

Speaking of the fiesta: http://www.freep.com/article/20100626/BUSINESS01/6260322/Ford-Fiesta-arrives-helps-complete-lineup

Freep posted:

The Ford Fiesta subcompact car began arriving at dealerships across the country earlier this week after a marketing campaign that began more than a year ago.

Tara Balogh-Niedermeier, 26, who picked up her black Fiesta on Friday at Gene Butman Ford in Ypsilanti, said she ordered her car in March before she even drove the vehicle or saw one in person.

• PHOTOS: Ford Fiesta Arrives at Dealers

"I liked the idea of getting something that would support an American car company as well as a car that would do well with gas," said Balogh-Niedermeier, who describes herself as an environmentalist.

The car is rated for 40 m.p.g. on the highway and 29 m.p.g. in the city with a six-speed automatic transmission.

She also said buying a car with a hatchback was a priority. As an art student, she said she needs to be able to easily fit her art portfolio as well as large art materials for her sculptures into her car.

The Fiesta is Ford's first subcompact car to be sold in the U.S. since 1997, and it's the first time Ford has sold a car bearing the Fiesta name since 1980 in the U.S.

Ford is building the car for North America at its plant in Cuautitlan, Mexico.

To raise awareness, Ford began a marketing campaign called Fiesta Movement in the spring of 2009, opened a Web site to begin taking orders in December and started a national advertising campaign several weeks ago.

So far, Ken Butman, owner of Gene Butman Ford, said only two Fiestas have arrived at his dealership but he is expecting about 20 more over the next 30 days.

The base model of the Fiesta sedan starts at $13,320 while the hatchback starts at $15,120, excluding destination charges.

Jessica Caldwell, automotive analyst for automotive Web site Edmunds.com, said the Fiesta helps complete Ford's lineup.

"It's definitely a great small car and it helps bring more variety" to Ford dealerships, Caldwell said. "They are not just going to be a truck-SUV company, and it lets them target a broader range of customers."

Through May, Ford sales are up 30.3%, with the gains fairly evenly split between cars and light trucks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
^^^ one thing that bugs me a little is that the NA Fiesta is 200lbs heavier than the Euro one, somehow. How?!

The new Grand Cherokee is good, which is good for Chrysler:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/06/26/2011-grand-cherokee-a-dream-come-true/

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

kimbo305 posted:

^^^ one thing that bugs me a little is that the NA Fiesta is 200lbs heavier than
the Euro one, somehow. How?!

Air conditioning unit, longer and heavier bumpers for US Crash standards, bigger standard engine 1.6l vs 1.25l and bigger standard wheels 15" vs 14".

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Pretty sure A/C is standard in every non shitbox car in Europe. The rest probably explains it though.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Blacknose posted:

Pretty sure A/C is standard in every non shitbox car in Europe. The rest probably explains it though.
No, the Fiesta Studio doesn't have AC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

Air conditioning unit, longer and heavier bumpers for US Crash standards, bigger standard engine 1.6l vs 1.25l and bigger standard wheels 15" vs 14".

I assume the weight comparison was between models of at least the same motor. Anything else would be unfair. Assuming that, could bumpers and wheel tack on 200 lbs? Heck, even a bigger motor, when the displacement is pretty small, that couldn't be more than 50 lbs, especially if the 1.6 is bored from the same block.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They added some sound deadening materials and things.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's the 1.6 Zetec-S, it's the same block as the 1.25. Hell, it should be lighter with bigger bores! :haw:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Blacknose posted:

yeah, everything in the golf class and up, basically. however, the option lists are still a mile long and you get raped for everything.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

kimbo305 posted:

^^^ one thing that bugs me a little is that the NA Fiesta is 200lbs heavier than the Euro one, somehow. How?!

This thing looks good! I might consider buying a newer Jeep if they keep this up. I'm sticking with the XJ for another year or two though (15 years strong!).

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Frank Dillinger posted:

yeah, everything in the golf class and up, basically. however, the option lists are still a mile long and you get raped for everything.

I know :smith:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

anonumos posted:

This thing looks good! I might consider buying a newer Jeep if they keep this up. I'm sticking with the XJ for another year or two though (15 years strong!).

They look nice, I'd forgotten how expensive SUV's can be though. No wonder the automakers ended up relying on them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sanchez posted:

They look nice, I'd forgotten how expensive SUV's can be though. No wonder the automakers ended up relying on them.

I don't know if it can draw away buyers from other luxury SUVs, but it seems to do what Jeep fans would want an SUV to do, so at least Chrysler is really delivering on the Jeep image. Hope it gets Chrysler back to form instead of making GBS threads out Compasses and Nitros.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Well, there doesn't seem to be a thread about Gordon Murray's T25 so it probably belongs in here.

Gordon Murray, designer of countless winning race cars, the LCC Rocket, and the McLaren F1 road car, has been working away on a city car, the T25. Now, it is a city car. Yes it's small. Yes it would be terrible on a US freeway. That is besides the point, it is a city car. Now I've got that out the way, will it succeed as a city car? The 3 seat layout is cool, and it's Gordon loving Murray, but look at that door and then imagine what happens when you want to get out and it's raining. Or you want to go to work but there's a foot of snow on the roof, because it still rains and snows in cities.

Here's what Autocar have to say:

quote:

It foreshadows a new era of tiny, great-to-drive economy cars as well as a highly original manufacturing process called iStream that slashes the investment, factory space and energy required for manufacturing.
The T25, which it has been confirmed weighs around 575kg, has a much smaller road footprint than today’s smallest production cars, the Smart Fortwo and Toyota iQ.
It is 240cm long, 130cm wide and 140cm high - meaning it can be forward parked in spaces, and that three T25s would fit in the space traditionally occupied by one parrallel parked car. It has a turning circle of six metres

It has independent suspension front and rear and is designed to be powered by a rear-mounted 51bhp 660cc, three-cylinder engine with 42lb ft of torque, linked to a five-speed clutchless transmission.
That translates to a restricted top speed of 90mph, 0-62mph time of 16.2sec . Co2 emissions are rated at 86g/km, while economy is 74mpg.

It also has anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control and an airbag, plus front and rear crush structures. Murray says the Formula One inspired tubular steel and composite floor chassis frame design creates a safety cell that is “immensely strong”.

Murray is aiming to have the T25 ready for production in two years’ time, and there are strong indications that the first iStream factory will be in the UK.

Eventually they could appear across the globe, close to the biggest population centres. Murray said the car’s unusual design and progressive values have powerful appeal both to leading automotive and non-automotive brands.

The car is also noteworthy for its revolutionary single door, which swings up to allow easy access even when the car is tightly parked.

The driver sits centrally with a passenger on either side and slightly to the rear.
Despite the T25’s compactness, there is still space for several large suitcases. The rear seats also fold, meaning it has an official capacity of between 160 litres and 720 litres.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

but look at that door and then imagine what happens when you want to get out and it's raining. Or you want to go to work but there's a foot of snow on the roof, because it still rains and snows in cities.

Okay? What would happen? If it was rain, I guess you'll get a little rain inside the cabin. If it's snow, it would just slide off the front, and you should clean off snow from the top of your car before driving in any case. The car's designers are British and have probably been wet their entire lives anyway.

Other than the weird door and 3 seats, this doesn't seem all that different from any number of Japanese Kei cars, some of which even have SUPERIOR IRS HANDLING just like this one. If there was a market for this kind of thing Mazda, Suzuki and Mitsubishi would already own it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I think it's stupid. Completely unoriginal and pointless.
My graduating class this year was full of this sort of crap.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Friend of mine just bought a Midget II, which I should see for the first time in two weeks or so and which is almost exactly the same size. Be interesting for scale.

For the poster two down: the friend with the Midget 2 (who fits in just fine) is 6'2".

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brb using my passengers' legs as a crumple zone.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
how the gently caress are you supposed to sit in that thing if you're over 5'6"

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

rscott posted:

how the gently caress are you supposed to sit in that thing if you're over 5'6"

Jeremy fit in a peel p50. But in truth, you don't. Economical cars aren't intended for humans.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Murray is 6'+, I think Its safe to say that tall people can fit in his cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr JonboyG posted:

I'd drive one just to pretend I'm driving an F1 or piloting a fighter jet. I dunno why, but I just love the dash layout for some reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I kind of like it but it will lead to entirely new places to get door dings on your ride. Although, if you live in a place where lifted trucks are common, it's probably only a matter of time anyway.

Hopefully it doesn't have retardedly expensive tires and burn out "clutch" packs like the Smart does.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, Tesla Motors had their IPO today, and it was Wildly Successful, raising $226 Million with shares starting at $17. The market immediately bid them up to over $22, on a day when the overall US market was down hard.

This matters because it indicates that a lot of investors still think Tesla has a good shot, despite GM and Nissan both releasing all-electric cars this year which will have vastly higher production numbers (and might actually be profitable to sell for those companies).

With $226M, Tesla should have enough cash to operate at their current rates of loss for at least a couple more years, too, which is critical since they need to get the Model S out in 2012 to meet the terms of its government loan.

Toyota is among those investing, and it seems that NUMMI is going to re-open as a Tesla/Toyota partnership factory (which will be a very nice shot in the arm to Fremont, CA, although financially it's not the smartest place to build cars).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 29, 2010

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

So, Tesla Motors had their IPO today, and it was Wildly Successful, raising $226 Million with shares starting at $17. The market immediately bid them up to over $22, on a day when the overall US market was down hard.

This matters because it indicates that a lot of investors still think Tesla has a good shot, despite GM and Nissan both releasing all-electric cars this year which will have vastly higher production numbers (and might actually be profitable to sell for those companies).

With $226M, Tesla should have enough cash to operate at their current rates of loss for at least a couple more years, too, which is critical since they need to get the Model S out in 2012 to meet the terms of its government loan.

Toyota is among those investing, and it seems that NUMMI is going to re-open as a Tesla/Toyota partnership factory (which will be a very nice shot in the arm to Fremont, CA, although financially it's not the smartest place to build cars).

The only reason this dog is up is so the people allowed to buy the IPO at low prices can dump the stock on average investors later and sell their positions for a quick short term profit. Classic pump and dump IPO. Electric cars are the dot com bubble of stocks for this decade. If you buy this, it should only be for a short term gain playing the IPO frenzy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kimbo305 posted:

quote:

The new Pentastar V-6 develops 290 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 260 lb-ft. of torque at 4,800...it returns 23 mpg on the freeway.
Is Chrysler trying to go under? I mean, shouldn't your new engine be competitive with the competition?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Is Chrysler trying to go under? I mean, shouldn't your new engine be competitive with the competition?

Do you mean like the Explorer with its 210HP v6, or the 4runner with its standard 170HP I4?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Do you mean like the Explorer with its 210HP v6, or the 4runner with its standard 170HP I4?

The Explorer's engine is being replaced with the new 305hp v6 that gets 31mpg highway. I'm not sure what Toyota is doing, but do people cross shop the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

frozenphil posted:

The Explorer's engine is being replaced with the new 305hp v6 that gets 31mpg highway. I'm not sure what Toyota is doing, but do people cross shop the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee?

Well the 4runner is another midsize SUV with some off-road credentials, although it is live axle/BOF while the GC is Uni-body with IRS (as is the new explorer). The current 4runner that came out in 2009 is available with a 170hp I4/4 speed auto or a 270hp 4.0l V6 with a 5 speed auto. The other one that I can think of is the Nissan Pathfinder, which has either a 270hp 4.0l V6 or a 310hp V8, both with a 5 speed auto. So I'd say other than this Ford Explorer that doesn't exist yet, the new GC compared quite favorably, although it would have been nice if they had been able to bring it out 2 years ago like they originally planned before going bankrupt.

Based on hat I've seen, the interior of the new GC is much better than it's competitors, and it looks much better on the outside too. You can also get fancy rock climbing air suspension (the Toyota has this as well), and the Hemi option is always nice. If I were in the market for such a vehicle I would buy it. The one weakness I can see is that the 5 speed Mercedes auto is getting a bit long in the tooth, although in this particular segment it's still pretty competitive. Chrysler is getting the new ZF 8 speed auto online (A new Chrysler automatic transmission with *8* speeds? Sign me the gently caress up. :monocle:) and a 6.4l SRT8 is in the wings too.

EDIT: The Chinese love all Grand Cherokees and this new one is going to sell like hotcakes over there. Unfortunately, MB still owns the Jeep assembly plant in China. :ohdear:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of which, the new SRT8.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/06/spy-photos-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt-8.html

The center exhaust has been removed to you can now tow stuff with it too. Jesus Christ I want to buy and drive the poo poo out of one of these God drat. It's a Cayenne/X5M for people who aren't terrible. :flashfap:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 30, 2010

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A5H posted:

I think it's stupid. Completely unoriginal and pointless.
My graduating class this year was full of this sort of crap.

Supposedly, the 'iStream' manufacturing process is the revolutionary bit here, and keeps the cost way down.

I don't know, $9,000 for a car that gets 74 mpg seems pretty nice in terms of cost/benefit ratio. Hell, people buy plenty of Smart Cars and they are inferior in pretty much every way.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

frozenphil posted:

The new explorer is going to get 31mpg highway with a gas engine? Have they turned it into a crossover? I think you've posted the mustang figure. Do people really care about 10-15hp and ft/lb between engines, assuming it's not detuned to 280hp or so for the explorer.

They've always had nicer interiors than anything from Ford or especially GM as well.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sanchez posted:

The new explorer is going to get 31mpg highway with a gas engine? Have they turned it into a crossover? I think you've posted the mustang figure. Do people really care about 10-15hp and ft/lb between engines, assuming it's not detuned to 280hp or so for the explorer.

They've always had nicer interiors than anything from Ford or especially GM as well.

What I'm saying is that it seems weird to me that you would build a brand new engine and not make it better than existing engines in your category.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

frozenphil posted:

What I'm saying is that it seems weird to me that you would build a brand new engine and not make it better than existing engines in your category.

It is better than the existing engines though? Compare it to the current Ford 4.0 or the Chrysler 3.7

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sanchez posted:

It is better than the existing engines though? Compare it to the current Ford 4.0 or the Chrysler 3.7

Yeah, it's better than those, but Ford and Chevy have both released new engines.

Whatever, I'm not really invested in this discussion as I don't really give a poo poo about the SUV market. They're such a niche vehicle that represent a real danger to others on the road and have gained popularity due to vanity and ignorance. They're basically the anti-AI.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, it's better than those, but Ford and Chevy have both released new engines.

So you're upset that the new base engine in the 2011 GC is on par with other new v6 engines from Ford and Chevy?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

So you're upset that the new base engine in the 2011 GC is on par with other new v6 engines from Ford and Chevy?

More like Chrysler's new engine is the worst of the Big 3's new engines. Which goes back to my comment about Chrysler not really trying to stay afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

frozenphil posted:

More like Chrysler's new engine is the worst of the Big 3's new engines. Which goes back to my comment about Chrysler not really trying to stay afloat.

So i was just looking at this article for the 2011 Explorer and it says that the base engine in the explorer is going to be a 2.0L ecoboost putting out 230hp and a V6 putting out 285...

Leftlane news posted:

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder offering will offer around 230 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, while maintaining excellent fuel economy compared to the outgoing model’s slightly less powerful 4.0-liter V6. The premium engine, the 3.5-liter V6, will share new Ti-VCT technology for increased output and efficiency, with horsepower rated at 285.

That said, power wise the v6 in the GC beats the poo poo out of the I4 in the Explorer as a base engine. Oh and its also slightly more powerful then the next level engine for the explorer too.

A far as Chevy is concerend i dont even know what vehicle is supposed to be matching up with the GC because they really dont make a midsized SUV anymore. Just full sized and crossovers.

You're comparing the engines that are being put in the pony cars to one being put in an SUV. Im sure when the pentastar V6 gets put in the Challenger it will be over 300hp too.