Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

poor and weird posted:

Okay, so here's a question: If this were Molly and a wrinkled up old meth hag, how would you guys feel about that?

I would be like "oh Onstad, you nutty guy" and then go have a Pop Tart. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Young Freud posted:

I can already see the end of this arc, with Philipe and Steve waiting for Teodor. Then Pete crashes his van into Teodor's house, the door pops open to expose Teodor going down on Nate.

It'll be the olympics all over again.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

poor and weird posted:

Okay, so here's a question: If this were Molly and a wrinkled up old meth hag, how would you guys feel about that?

I'm pretty sure Molly would have figured her way out of this before the "giving a handjob to an old man" stage. She's pretty smart like that.

Teodor, however, is one of those guys who just rolls with it. And now he's giving a handjob to an old man. Let this be a lesson to you all.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Roast Beef may have depression, but Teodor is the guy who sucks.

No pun intended.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

poor and weird posted:

You're really harping on this, aren't you? It's very important to you that we don't like this arc as much as you don't like it, isn't it?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

If this were Molly and a wrinkled up old meth hag I'd probably feel as disturbed as I do know. Maybe more, but only because she'd be cheating on the little cat Roast Beef.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Molly had that whole webcam arc. That was actually far less disturbing because you knew Beef was trying to save her. No one seems to be coming to T's rescue.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's still early. Maybe Nice Pete will relent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

mackd717 posted:

It's still early. Maybe Nice Pete will relent.

Nice Pete only desires one thing man, to meet President Carter.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

poor and weird posted:

Or rather, if Nathan were straight and Molly were the one in the van, how many people would be defending him? May not be a fair comparison though, because of Societal Reasons

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A cartoon cat with a massive wang and a battered teddy bear are causing so much homosexual controversy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well hey, if people can think this is racist, I guess any interpretation of the current situation goes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It works with Teodor because he's the most likely character to be insecure about his sexuality. Forget Molly, would this work with Mr. Bear? Or Ray? Or Lyle?

(also it wouldn't work if it was a meth hag because 10 inch boners are funnier than any kind of vagina)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If we are learning anything about Nice Pete here, it is that nothing is out of character for him, and there are no specific rules that apply to his behavior.

What I'm saying is, I don't really think Ray is 'safe' either. Southern Ways just do not trump Completely Unscrewed.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm pretty sure I would pay money to see version of this arc staring Lyle. Nice Pete goes to drinking island!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lyle is awesome, helping pre and post op trannies with their self image issues his own special way.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Flying-PCP posted:

Or rather, if Nathan were straight and Molly were the one in the van, how many people would be defending him? May not be a fair comparison though, because of Societal Reasons

You mean that in a horrifying situation a heterosexual pair of people might resort to sex to stave off their fear of impending death?

Because that's pretty improbable and disgusting, dude. I've never seen any situation like that at all, especially not in every single horror film ever.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
You guys do remember that Nathan gave a guy a handie in the middle of a Denny's, was completely unfazed when he saw Teodor bruised and bleeding in the back of a van, and then immediately began coercing him into performing oral sex when he woke up right? This isn't just "two normal guys thrown into a situation".

And if people really think that THAT represents a good way for Teodor to come out of the closet (not that I ever got the impression he was in the closet to begin with), then I don't even know what to say to any of you guys.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody cares about anybody's sexuality but you. This is a story about Teodor being kidnapped by Nice Pete and the hijinks that ensue.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
This is as much of a "Teodor comes out of the closet" story as "Psycho" was a story about embezzling.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Capsaicin posted:

I just think that wherever Teodor's character goes from here, I'm not going to like. Either he's happy-go-lucky T again and getting raped in the back of a van doesn't affect him at all, or he turns into an even crazier version of Beef.

I mean, rape isn't something you just laugh off. :\

It's also not something that necessarily destroys your world. It's highly traumatic, yes, and this particular instance more than most (being abducted by a serial killer would be traumatic enough on its own) but it's not necessarily going to ruin his life.

Guy A. Person posted:

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the Pat story arc?

I thought it was hilarious.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

poor and weird posted:

:qq:

That's fascinating thanks for sharing, also have you considered reading a different webcomic instead? I hear User Friendly is hilarious there are a lot of computer programmers getting into jams all the time :xd:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

poor and weird posted:

You guys do remember that Nathan gave a guy a handie in the middle of a Denny's, was completely unfazed when he saw Teodor bruised and bleeding in the back of a van, and then immediately began coercing him into performing oral sex when he woke up right? This isn't just "two normal guys thrown into a situation".

And if people really think that THAT represents a good way for Teodor to come out of the closet (not that I ever got the impression he was in the closet to begin with), then I don't even know what to say to any of you guys.

Forget it Jake, it's Goontown.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
this is hardly the optimal condition for a cartoon bear to experiment with his sexuality:qq:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The polarizing nature of this arc is fascinating for so many different reasons.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

poor and weird posted:

I'm unconvinced that Nathan gave Nice Pete a handie. He DID probably touch Nice Pete's dick, but I don't believe that it went further than that.

Also, seriously, shut up, stop obsessing over cartoon dicks. Nathan isn't representative of all old gay men, he's representative of Nathan, a Huge Freaky Creepshow.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Grilldos posted:

The polarizing nature of this arc is fascinating for so many different reasons.

If by that you mean poor and weird having a sexuality freakout over a teddy bear giving an old man a handjob, then yes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah it's amusing the hell out of me to see so many people just getting completely up in arms over one "cartoon cat cock". As far as I'm concerned this arc is still about Nice Pete kidnapping Teodor and Nate isn't some sort of frigging way to out Teodor, set up by concerned friends or something, jesus: he's just the consequence of Nice Pete's weirdness in the diner, which was all part of some sort of delusion of high school life taking place in between Kidnapville and Murder City. Pete intends to kill (or simply terrorize) Teodor, and he came across the opportunity to make tonight into a twofer.

I'm thinking the whole HJ thing is either gonna be
1) tied into Teodor's escape plan: The shot of the padlock was him getting an idea how to get out of the locked van (with a penis? I do not know, it is Achewood).
2) used as a source of embarrassment for Teodor: The shot of the padlock reminds you that he thinks he is completely done for, and in his state of confusion/exhaustion/panic he is touching the old cat's penis because the old cat told him to. All of a sudden Ray, suspended from Airwolf, busts into the van, sees the awkward moment, makes that awesome frowny face of his, and after rescuing Teodor does not talk to him for the next couple of days.

Despite being not as weirded out by this turn of events as some, I still hope this awkward interlude in what was up til this moment a simple "how can the stuffed bear prevent himself from being murdered tonight" story is resolved by the next strip. I really don't want further... detail. For the whole HJ thing. Let us not have to dwell on it any more than we already have.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Diet Poison posted:

I'm thinking the whole HJ thing is either gonna be
1) tied into Teodor's escape plan: The shot of the padlock was him getting an idea how to get out of the locked van (with a penis? I do not know, it is Achewood).
Perhaps it is indeed ten inches long, but very very thin, and can be used as a lockpick of sorts. That padlock doesn't look like it could hold more than like two tumblers, tops.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Just since you guys don't really seem to be getting it, I'm not complaining about the characters within the story, I'm taking issue with Onstad's writing choices. Specifically appealing to a "gay horror" tactic and playing into some really old and really ugly stereotypes about gay people. I'm a big Achewood fan, and that's why it makes me uncomfortable to see Onstad including this kind of thing.

Oh and also, I'm not the one who brought up "maybe this'll make teodor come out!", and I'm not QQing about this. Bringing up criticism, even of (gasp!) a comic you like, is a perfectly valid area of discussion.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
For the record, this whole arc has been pretty drat twisted and I've been enjoying it all the way down.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I think the situation is meant to be just plain horrifying, and not because it involves a gay guy. Nathan's a weird old guy who hangs around in dennys at night, not some kind of gay everyman. A weird old guy who hangs around in dennys at night and looks for action with a naked guy with a caricature drawn on his stomach.

edit: Plus there are other gay characters in achewood who aren't terrifying perverts, and Teodor getting into strange gay situations is a recurring theme

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 12, 2010

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

poor and weird posted:

Just since you guys don't really seem to be getting it, I'm not complaining about the characters within the story, I'm taking issue with Onstad's writing choices. Specifically appealing to a "gay horror" tactic and playing into some really old and really ugly stereotypes about gay people. I'm a big Achewood fan, and that's why it makes me uncomfortable to see Onstad including this kind of thing.

Oh and also, I'm not the one who brought up "maybe this'll make teodor come out!", and I'm not QQing about this. Bringing up criticism, even of (gasp!) a comic you like, is a perfectly valid area of discussion.

I'll bite. First of all, I have never heard of anything Darren is doing as any homosexual stereotype. The fact you think this is the case is very revealing. Forcing a person to do sexual acts is definitely nothing new, but it is certainly not a specifically "gay horror" thing. You have to take the "gayness" out of it. He's gay, so what. If Teodor was a woman would you feel better? If so, re-evaluate what it is you don't like about this arc.

Secondly, this is a comic with a few gay characters already that are not at all like this man. Onstad is not pushing some anti-gay viewpoint with this at all.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I like the comic with the animals that do stuff and say things. I have opinions about them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I don't know from "gay horror" but I once read a Peter Straub short story where the protagonist, a young boy, befriends a homeless man, and is ultimately manipulated into giving him a handjob in a movie theater. Compared to that, T and Nate are just coping with their situation as best they can.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Achewood is a comic where its author makes sure to incorporate the ache and the wood. In this arc it's both!

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

poor and weird posted:

The stereotype is that they try to talk you into gay sex acts when both of you are about to die locked in a serial killer's van? I understand your concern with representations of gay people, but I think putting them off limits to insane Achewood-style situations is like saying movies shouldn't ever have black villains.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

Grilldos posted:

I'll bite. First of all, I have never heard of anything Darren is doing as any homosexual stereotype. The fact you think this is the case is very revealing. Forcing a person to do sexual acts is definitely nothing new, but it is certainly not a specifically "gay horror" thing. You have to take the "gayness" out of it. He's gay, so what. If Teodor was a woman would you feel better? If so, re-evaluate what it is you don't like about this arc.

Secondly, this is a comic with a few gay characters already that are not at all like this man. Onstad is not pushing some anti-gay viewpoint with this at all.

I'm not saying it would be better if it was male on female rape. I would still think it's inappropriate. And I didn't say Onstad was doing it consciously. But the "sex-crazed pervert who tries to take advantage of any straight guy" is a pretty old stereotype and not a very good one to invoke. A better comparison would be "what if it were a black male character trying to take advantage of a white female". If you don't think that has unfortunate implications, then welp, I dunno what else I can say to you.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

poor and weird posted:

I'm not saying it would be better if it was male on female rape. I would still think it's inappropriate. And I didn't say Onstad was doing it consciously. But the "sex-crazed pervert who tries to take advantage of any straight guy" is a pretty old stereotype and not a very good one

This is the one thing that crosses the line into inappropriateness for you? Do we seriously need to compare this to a list of insane and offensive poo poo that's happened in this comic? And this situation is in no way a stereotype. If anything, it's a stereotype blown way out of proportion into hyperbole.

I miss Ray and Beef goofing off and a stuffed otter saying cute things, too, but the discussion this story is generating elevates Achewood to a place it's never been to before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So the moral is that if it was an old female crackwhore forcing Teodor to get her off this arc would be perfectly okay.

Please fix this at once, Mr. Onstad!