Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

brc64 posted:

I'm honestly not sure how to tell. When I installed 4, it installed to a different folder from 3.6, but the installer brought over all my extensions and bookmarks and everything automatically.

Then both are sharing a profile; this is not recommended. Try not to run 3.6 unless you set up a clean profile for it (firefox.exe -P).

quote:

Everything is working fine now, it was just a pretty weird occurrence. As far as I can tell, it was only SALR that disappeared, too. The other handful of extensions I have (half of which are disabled) were still there.

I'll see if it happens to me after I fix my desktop. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

astral posted:

Then both are sharing a profile; this is not recommended. Try not to run 3.6 unless you set up a clean profile for it (firefox.exe -P).

I haven't touched 3.6 since I installed 4 beta. It's still around, presumably, but I don't have much interest in using it. If I run into any more weirdness, I'll give the new profile thing a try. For now, everything is working okay. I should probably just uninstall 3.6.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

brc64 posted:

I haven't touched 3.6 since I installed 4 beta. It's still around, presumably, but I don't have much interest in using it. If I run into any more weirdness, I'll give the new profile thing a try. For now, everything is working okay. I should probably just uninstall 3.6.

Gotcha. I'd just chalk it up to the beta doing something funny to your profile then (stuff like this is why it's recommended to use a clean profile if you're using a beta version, and sometimes even if you're using a new big release version). Uninstalling 3.6 would probably be a good idea if you don't intend on using it, just to make sure it doesn't try to load the newer profile in the older version.

anhyderous
Dec 21, 2006

Your day has finally come
So wear the hat and do the dance
And let the suit keep wearing you
This year you'll sit and take it
And you will like it

I'm still having this problem. Is there some setting I'm missing?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

anhyderous posted:

I'm still having this problem. Is there some setting I'm missing?

It's added by forums javascript. Make sure javascript is enabled for SA.

anhyderous
Dec 21, 2006

And you will like it
Unless it's put there by googleapis or doubleclick, it's enabled. I've had SA whitelisted in adblock and noscript for a very long time. Any further suggestions? It shows up fine in IE.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

anhyderous posted:

Unless it's put there by googleapis or doubleclick, it's enabled. I've had SA whitelisted in adblock and noscript for a very long time. Any further suggestions? It shows up fine in IE.

Enabling javascript from googleapis should fix it for you.

The forums use the jquery libraries:
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.2/jquery-ui.min.js

anhyderous
Dec 21, 2006

And you will like it
That did it, thanks guys.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100802 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:
  • Stopped mouse gesture navigation images from appearing after mouseup when selecting something in the contextual menu of an embed (e.g. clicking 'Stop Download' on a YouTube video)
  • Re-enabled grabbing the forum list from forumdisplay pages (this was overdue; SALR was only grabbing the forum list from thread or stats pages)

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Thank you for all the hard work that you and duz do.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100803 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:
  • Added a "Mark This Thread Unread" option to SALR's contextual submenu from within threads
  • Disabled grabbing the forum list from stats pages (if you visited there, it would add a bunch of hidden/closed forums and clog up the list)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100804 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

In this update, SALR adds a "Search thread" box to showthread pages.

:siren:Read these notes!:siren:
  • This search box requires a platinum SA account to work since it uses SA's new search.
  • It will show up (but not work) in archives.
  • It can be hidden with an salr pref in the threads prefpane (if you don't have plat or don't want to see it).
  • It should self-destruct if/when the forums thread search box comes back.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

astral posted:

Update! v1.99.100804 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• This search box requires a platinum SA account to work since it uses SA's new search.
  • It can be hidden with an salr pref in the threads prefpane (if you don't have plat or don't want to see it).

:aaaaa:

This is awesome. Thank you so, so much for this!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

astral posted:

Changes:

This is really cool and is gonna be extremely useful in mega threads. Really appreciate this!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100807 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• Added an ubobtrusive 'Added by SALR' note to the search box to (hopefully) save forum support any grief in case something goes wrong someday.
  • Added "SALR Thread" and "BountySource Page" links to SALR's "About" preference pane.

:siren:Notes about the thread search box!:siren:

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

astral posted:

Update! v1.99.100807 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• Added an ubobtrusive 'Added by SALR' note to the search box to (hopefully) save forum support any grief in case something goes wrong someday.
  • Added "SALR Thread" and "BountySource Page" links to SALR's "About" preference pane.

Thank you very much :)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Would it be too much of a request to do a "open all updated threads" feature like the Chrome companion?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hung Yuri posted:

Would it be too much of a request to do a "open all updated threads" feature like the Chrome companion?

RedKazan wrote a Greasemonkey script for that, if the current devs are still unwilling to add it to SALR proper.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           New Posts in New Tabs
// @description    Adds a button to open all threads with new posts in new tabs.
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @author         RedKazan
// ==/UserScript==

var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{
		where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	for (i = 0; i < eval.snapshotLength; i++)
	{
		node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
		name = node.parentNode.nextSibling.nextSibling.childNodes[1].innerHTML;
		GM_openInTab(node.href,name);
	}

return;
}

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hung Yuri posted:

For now, yes, it is too much. It was discussed a few years back. Use the greasemonkey script if you really want that functionality. The feature might eventually make its way in, but it is extremely low priority and would need some modification beforehand.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100809 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• Removed "#via=salr" text from the bbcode added by our waffleimage uploader. It just cluttered up the forums' search index needlessly (and made it more difficult to do a forum search for SALR).
  • Added a "Select All Threads" button to the ignored threads preference pane for ease of mass-unignoring. This also makes it more obvious that you can highlight multiple entries in that list.
  • Made the 'Added by SALR' note in the search box italic.
  • SALR now claims to be compatible with SeaMonkey 2.0 and later. Please post any bugs you find there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to make my pinned forums appear at the very top of the SALR menu?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is the new search thread box supposed to shove whatever post is at the top of the page over so there is blank space under it until the next post?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2010

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the new search thread box supposed to shove whatever post is at the top of the page over so there is blank space under it until the next post?

Nope. Does it process the rest of the page just fine (adding links like add coloring/note, quick-post/reply buttons, etc)? Does anything SALR-related show up in the Error Console in the Tools menu?

e: What Firefox version / OS are you using?

astral fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 11, 2010

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It doesn't do this for me, and I'm using the 8/09 build with Firefox 3.6.8.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

astral posted:

Nope. Does it process the rest of the page just fine (adding links like add coloring/note, quick-post/reply buttons, etc)? Does anything SALR-related show up in the Error Console in the Tools menu?

e: What Firefox version / OS are you using?

Everything else works fine, it's just that one thing that is screwed up. I'm not sure what SALR-specific errors would look like but I have a bunch warnings of "error in parsing for width/height" and a couple letter spacing warnings. I'm running 3.6.8 on Windows 7 x64.

Let me disable some other add-ons and see if that does anything.

edit: disabled every add-on except SALR and it still does it

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 11, 2010

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's doing that because the text for the button is too large and causing it to overflow the blue area, I can force it to happen by making my fonts massive:

So find what's making that button have big text, and you'll be all set.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Disgustipated posted:

It's doing that because the text for the button is too large and causing it to overflow the blue area, I can force it to happen by making my fonts massive:

So find what's making that button have big text, and you'll be all set.

Yeah, if I set Zoom to text only and zoom in 5 steps, that happens.

Also, in Vykk's screenshot, the text looks zoomed in.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Update! v1.99.100810 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• Prevent the top threadbar from overflowing with large search text

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Yeah, if I set Zoom to text only and zoom in 5 steps, that happens.

Also, in Vykk's screenshot, the text looks zoomed in.

My text indeed is way zoomed in. The only downside to using a giant wall-mounted TV as a monitor and sitting twelve feet from it :(

Reducing the font size one step fixed it and I can still read it just fine so I guess everything is good now.

edit: it looks like the latest release fixed that problem anyway. Thanks for the awesome search bar. It's the only thing I'd been wishing the forums had but didn't think we'd ever get.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 11, 2010

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Some of the boxes in the Replies column are not showing up as yellow? The last time it worked correctly was Firefox Portable 3.5.* and salastread v1.99.100707. Right now I am using Firefox 3.6.8 and the latest version of SALR. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

Some of the boxes in the Replies column are not showing up as yellow? The last time it worked correctly was Firefox Portable 3.5.* and salastread v1.99.100707. Right now I am using Firefox 3.6.8 and the latest version of SALR. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

That information is stored in SALR's database in your firefox profile folder (default filename is salastread.sqlite). If you changed firefox profiles and didn't move/copy SALR's database over, you're not going to have a record of the threads you had previously posted in (or your custom user highlighting settings).

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
So something that I've noticed that kind of bugs me is if you have a stickied thread bookmarked, if you have SALR sort bookmarked threads by new posts, whenever the stickied thread has new posts, it jumps to the very top of the list, even if other threads have newer posts. This means that if you bookmarked a stickied thread that you haven't completely read through, even if the last post was days or even months old, it's still at the top of the list acting like it's the thread with the most recent post.

It does not do this if you've read the new posts in the stickied thread, because at that point it isn't resorted. It's not a huge issue since I'm going to read all the posts in my bookmarked threads anyways, but it's still a bug that maybe should get fixed.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

So something that I've noticed that kind of bugs me is if you have a stickied thread bookmarked, if you have SALR sort bookmarked threads by new posts, whenever the stickied thread has new posts, it jumps to the very top of the list, even if other threads have newer posts. This means that if you bookmarked a stickied thread that you haven't completely read through, even if the last post was days or even months old, it's still at the top of the list acting like it's the thread with the most recent post.

It does not do this if you've read the new posts in the stickied thread, because at that point it isn't resorted. It's not a huge issue since I'm going to read all the posts in my bookmarked threads anyways, but it's still a bug that maybe should get fixed.

I'll look into it.

Update! v1.99.100813 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

• Changing your pinned forums no longer requires a browser restart to see those changes in the SA Menu and SA Toolbar Menu.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

astral posted:

That information is stored in SALR's database in your firefox profile folder (default filename is salastread.sqlite). If you changed firefox profiles and didn't move/copy SALR's database over, you're not going to have a record of the threads you had previously posted in (or your custom user highlighting settings).

I always have a backup of saforumlist.xml and salastread.sqlite. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

It's the threads that I have posted in since upgrading from FF 3.5.10 with salastread v1.99.100707.xpi that are not showing up yellow. The threads that I replied in using FF 3.5 are fine.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
The search this thread box is fantastic but would it be possible to have something similar for individual forums?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

I always have a backup of saforumlist.xml and salastread.sqlite. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

It's the threads that I have posted in since upgrading from FF 3.5.10 with salastread v1.99.100707.xpi that are not showing up yellow. The threads that I replied in using FF 3.5 are fine.

I'll take a look. What method are you using to reply (quick reply window vs. regular forum posts)?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

astral posted:

I'll take a look. What method are you using to reply (quick reply window vs. regular forum posts)?

Regular forum posting.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Can I request the addition of the "Rap Sheet" to profiles viewed as well? Hearing someone get probated/banned then requires bringing up their profile, viewing their latest posts, picking one and loading that thread, just to get to an option to see their ban history.

:shobon:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Revolvyerom posted:

Can I request the addition of the "Rap Sheet" to profiles viewed as well? Hearing someone get probated/banned then requires bringing up their profile, viewing their latest posts, picking one and loading that thread, just to get to an option to see their ban history.

:shobon:

You could probably just check the Leper's Colony if it's recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

You could probably just check the Leper's Colony if it's recent.

:effort:

I actually had this exact scenario come up yesterday when someone had a Twitter post about one of our mutual associates being probated. It ended up being bogus but it could have been real! IT COULD HAVE BEEN REAL!

Then again in the eh, 8 years I've been a member that's come up all of once, maybe twice. Still if it's not work to code we may as well add it on, eh?

[redacting this part because I realized that it'd be trivial to get the userid and spit out the URL to the Leper's Colony]

edit 2: Oh gently caress it's been over 8 years? I feel so old :(

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 14, 2010

• Locked thread