Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Yeah, you can see him plainly yelling at Hebner. Skip ahead to about 3:30.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xchn0g_the-rock-vs-kurst-angle-no-way-out_sport

I know it's been said before but God I miss Jim Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

Davey Richards is a good name only because the first name "Davey" is such an unassuming, completely unbadass name. It just contrasts really well with his persona.

Thats what gets me though. His real name is Wesley. He actually picked a name more masculine than his birth name and still ended up with Davey.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MassRayPer posted:

The Awesome/Tanaka matches are short and constant action. They are sprints.

RVD/Lynn is Spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest. In their first match, they sell moves and lay around after the first move as long as they do after 15 minutes. It's retarded and there is absolutely no logic to the match. Not just psychology, but logic.

Compare this to the WCW cruiserweights who were doing mind blowing stuff with better pacing and it is amazing that people loved the RVD/Lynn series which I never really got that into.

I thought I dispelled this myth. It isn't even remotely true they sell the same in the beginning as they do 15 minutes into the match.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2314650&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=43#post331329710

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, for one thing, in the beginning the big moves are all things like planchas and moonsaults to the outside. They would be more temporarily stunned and hurting from those moves than they would be drained. The fact that one or both of them is back up on their feet in 20 seconds shows that. 20 seconds is not a long amount of time. It would look absurd if they sell those moves for any less time than that. That would totally ruin the match.

It also isn't true at all they sell the same from every big move. The first time when a move done in the ring leaves them both on the mat for 20 seconds is at at the 12 minute mark where RVD gets flipped head first from the top rope on a chair. Lynn had been getting worked on for several minutes, and RVD just got his head slammed onto a chair. I'd hope he would at least be stunned for 20 seconds.

Following that, they do a little sequence where RVD ends up getting an inverted DDT onto the same chair. It takes Lynn a few seconds to cover him and to get up because he's still groggy from the beatdown he had just received a short time earlier.

Next sequence: Fonzie distracts Lynn, Lynn ducks a desperation Van Daminator, and then legdrops RVD's head into the chair. RVD's head is hitting the chair here for the third time. This time Lynn immediately tries to pin him. After RVD kicks out, Lynn isn't selling like he's dead. He's yelling at the ref, and sits there looking frustrated for a few seconds like he's wondering what in the hell he should do to him next.

He decides on a huge move involving the chair from the top rope. As he's setting it up, however, Fonzie grabs Lynn's leg. This spares RVD some time and it eventually leads to a Van Daminator which sends Lynn falling through the table on the outside. They're both down obviously for awhile after this. Lynn had just taken the huge bump and it was only an act out of desperation for RVD. If they had both managed to get up after only 20 seconds, it would have looked completely redicilous and taken me out of the match. Thankfully, RVD isn't trying to drag Lynn's body to the ring until about a minute later. By the time he is finally able to put Lynn in the ring and cover him, it makes perfect sense that he would kick out. Only THEN do they start to sell huge for every big move, because at this time they are drained. That makes perfect sense too.

The reason they can't get a pinfall is because it takes them a few seconds to pin each other towards the end and because two very weakened people are doing the moves now and making the pin attempts.

Since, you brought up Rey/Eddy, I'll say that if you want an example of worse selling than RVD/Lynn, watch any match Rey Mysterio had in WCW. Rey Mysterio vs Ultimo Dragon from World War 3 gets my vote for most horrendous selling of all time. Rey gets his rear end kicked for the entire match, but all of a sudden, he's fine and doing perfect flips. As good as Rey/Eddy is from Halloween Havoc, it had this same issue. There are times where it seems like Rey is dead, and a few seconds later he's running around, doing flips, and jumping on to the ropes with perfect balance and accuracy as if he was never hurt.

One of the main reasons that these are some of my favorite matches is I find they're among the easiest to suspend disbelief with. It looks like they're really trying to kill each other and unlike the majority of the guys in the indies, any Tanaka vs Awesome, and even many of the WCW cruiserweights, they do sell.

El Dude posted:

This. They did pretty much one thing well: convince you it was an epic match when it actually wasn't. It's like they remembered a lot of mid-90s AJPW and decided to incorporate that match style without knowing how to actually work that match style. The matches tell no real story other than "these two guys did a lot of moves."

The story is pretty obvious. Before the match, everyone thought it was going to be an easy win for RVD. Yet during the match, Lynn proves to always be one step ahead of RVD. He counters all of RVD's major moves and outsmarts RVD at nearly every opportunity. It's to the point where at the end, the fans have switched sides and actualy start to root for Lynn, calling him the name "New F'N Show". That never ever happened in a RVD match. The referee was even about to give the title to Lynn at the tie because Lynn had outperformed RVD. No one could have seen that coming at the start. The story of the match was what was responsible for turning Lynn into a major star in ECW.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
My biggest problem with Lynn vs. RVD matches were that, for the super indestructible face, RVD always came off looking like a bitch.

The match almost always ended with Alfonso tossing in the steel chair for RVD to use, or more directly interfering. When I watched the matches originally I could never understand why RVD was so over, I absolutely loathed him. To me, Jerry Lynn looked like a total bad-rear end who this little flexible pussy had to get help everytime to beat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When you start out with big moves and spots that you need to sell an eternity for you completely destroy the pacing of the match and the impact of moves that come later. That is the complete lack of logic. What happens in the opening of the match should not have the same weight as what comes later.

They start the match off with chain wrestling, then start doing high spots. Then some spots and RVD goes to the floor to stall for the third time in the match, FIVE MINUTES IN.

Then seconds after getting back into the ring they do a big spot to the outside and there's another down period. Then Lynn hits his big twisting cross into the crowd and we get a 20 second break in action, after which RVD just takes over on offense and stalls some more.

Then there is ANOTHER giant bump at the 6:30 mark where RVD takes a bump from the top to the floor then he immediately takes over again an RVD stalls AGAIN after a move that sends Lynn into the crowd. Then he does a double axe handle into the crowd and stalls AGAIN. Half of the first 8 minutes of the match with one guy laying on the ground, and much of that time is spent with RVD stalling.

It is the stupidest pacing of a match I have ever seen since it is just STUFF, then REST, then STUFF, then rest, rather than actually trying to have a match.

A match is supposed to build, not happen in random spurts like this match does with TWO GIANT BUMPS FROM THE RING TO THE FLOOR IN THE OPENING MINUTES WHERE THE GUY TAKING THE BUMP THEN JUST JUMPS BACK ON OFFENSE.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Kidman vs. Malenko at Souled Out 2000 when Malenko forgot the loving rules of the match(To be fair, it was a stupid gimmick).

God, what was wrong with WCW? Kidman and Malenko are two guys who you can just grab and say "You've got 15 minutes. Go out there and have a good match." You know they'll deliver. Part of the reason for WCW's success in the glory days was they had an undercard filled with the young, athletic guys putting on awesome matches every single night. When I was in elementary school watching WCW, my favorite guys after DDP were Malenko and Benoit. My dad said he'd rather watch the cruiserweights, who were actually athletic, than the boring main events. Malenko got and kept himself relatively over by being a great wrestler, nothing more. Why would you take two cruiserweights and put them in a stupid loving match where they can't leave the ring?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AKMoose posted:

God, what was wrong with WCW?
Vince Russo.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

El Axo Grande posted:

I hear a lot of people bitching about the names for rookies in NXT, but has anyone sat down and seen how bad some of the ROH names are?

Jimmy Jacobs
Eddie Edwards
Davey Richards

They sound like the secret identities of Marvel comics superheroes

No. All three sound like NASCAR drivers.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

El Axo Grande posted:

I hear a lot of people bitching about the names for rookies in NXT, but has anyone sat down and seen how bad some of the ROH names are?

Jimmy Jacobs
Eddie Edwards
Davey Richards

They sound like the secret identities of Marvel comics superheroes

You can't make fun of Eddie Edwards for having a terrible ring name.

It is sad that his real name is Edward Edwards.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

KungFu Grip posted:

Sad or child abuse.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

KungFu Grip posted:

His mother was a big Twilight fan.

All Twilight fans are big.

Just like Matt Hardy fans.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

KungFu Grip posted:

Holy poo poo I know a guy used to live down the street with that same name.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

AKMoose posted:

God, what was wrong with WCW? Kidman and Malenko are two guys who you can just grab and say "You've got 15 minutes. Go out there and have a good match." You know they'll deliver. Part of the reason for WCW's success in the glory days was they had an undercard filled with the young, athletic guys putting on awesome matches every single night. When I was in elementary school watching WCW, my favorite guys after DDP were Malenko and Benoit. My dad said he'd rather watch the cruiserweights, who were actually athletic, than the boring main events. Malenko got and kept himself relatively over by being a great wrestler, nothing more. Why would you take two cruiserweights and put them in a stupid loving match where they can't leave the ring?

Well, that match was supposed to be Jarrett vs. Benoit as part of a series of 3 matches, but Benoit injured Jarrett on Nitro that week, then they moved Benoit into the main event against Sid since Bret Hart had a concussion. So they just put Kidman in 3 matches for a very good reason.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Burrito posted:

His mother was a big Twilight fan.

All Twilight fans are big.

Just like Matt Hardy fans.

Is there a difference between Matt fans and Jeff fans? I'd think the Matt fans must be bigger messes.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is there a difference between Matt fans and Jeff fans? I'd think the Matt fans must be bigger messes.

Some have Mattitude, and some are Jeffing Retarded.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

redscare posted:

The sad part is how right you are

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Matt fans are like the groupies who gently caress the bassist because they think it'll help them get closer to the lead singer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So he is like a less talented David Crosby in Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Who was the original heel commentator?

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

redscare posted:

I thought Jimmy Jacobs was a NASCAR driver.

Ninja edit: The pic on Jacobs wiki looks an awful lot like a skinny Matt Hardy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Triple-Kan posted:

Who was the original heel commentator?

Jesse Ventura, maybe?

I didnt watch the territories or WCW growing up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Vince Russo.

That was actually Kevin Sullivan. Benoit hated him and that's what led to him, Eddie, Malenko, and Saturn leaving. I think Shane Douglas and Konnan wanted to go too but they realized they had burned their bridge with Vince.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Jesse Ventura, maybe?

I didnt watch the territories or WCW growing up.

Weird, Meltzer posted a brief run down of next week's Hall of Fame issue and:

Dave Meltzer posted:

5) Jesse Ventura, the former governor of Minnesota. Ventura is being considered for his work as an announcer, not a wrestler, although he did headline as a wrestler. Ventura was not the first wrestler or first heel to be a color commentator, but he was the one who made the role of the heel in the booth into something that nearly every promotion tried to copy.

I have no idea who the first would be, but it might be Ernie Roth. He was an announcer but I'm not sure if it was before or after he adopted his heel persona. I have a feeling he was always a heel, but I'm not totally sure. If it was as Abdullah Farouk it would have to be as a heel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

When I was growing up, there was a kid who lived down the street from me, and his name was Mathew Mathew.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Timby posted:

When I was growing up, there was a kid who lived down the street from me, and his name was Mathew Mathew.

To further this derail I knew a kid growing up that's name was Jason Street that lived on Jason Street.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I know a guy named Rob Erts

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I know a guy named Dick Butt, and he's from a town called Dildo.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Dildo, Newfoundland?

I had a Canadian Studies professor named Doctor Nurse.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I know two different Robert Roberts

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Better name than "Magic Ceiling Fan".

Edit: There was allegedly a mixup where someone named "Ken Kennedy" won a MITB briefcase.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Dildo, Newfoundland?

I had a Canadian Studies professor named Doctor Nurse.

Did you ever go "Helloooooooooooooooooooooo Nurse" to him?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So wrestler's and drugs...

Thinking about wrestling as a career, I actually think it's possible to party hard regularly and not be a total flake to the industry and still be a reliable worker purely with self control, are there any examples of wrestlers who are open about recreational drug use and have been able to not let it effect their performance?

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
Andre the Giant?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sue Denim posted:

Thinking about wrestling as a career, I actually think it's possible to party hard regularly and not be a total flake to the industry and still be a reliable worker purely with self control, are there any examples of wrestlers who are open about recreational drug use and have been able to not let it effect their performance?

RVD
Kendrick
Well, relatively.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sue Denim posted:

Ric Flair never wrestled looking like he had a hangover.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

PsiKoTicK posted:

Did you ever go "Helloooooooooooooooooooooo Nurse" to him?

He asked me not to. :saddowns:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Sue Denim posted:

It's called being a functional alcoholic, it happens in every business.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sue Denim posted:

In an interview, Joey Mercury talked about being completely messed up most of the time, but able to pull it together for the fifteen/twenty minutes he was performing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Road Dogg said his last match in WWE, he was messed up and went out and did the match, came backstage and got fired. But looking at the match, he said he couldn't tell he was messed up. So he was able to work for 15 minutes and went right back to being zoned soon as the match was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Getting thrown around by a 250 pound guy is bad enough, I can't imagine trusting a drunk or hungover 250 pound guy not to drop me on my head.