Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

mobo85 posted:

Doesn't the ad show that the lighter is powered by two sticks rubbed together?

ETA: Oh, the seahorse teacher is Master Shake.
I didn't notice. Watching these makes me realize how much I miss watching the Flintstones. There's just something endearing about animals in every scene reacting to the poo poo going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfmWWZ9uSE&feature=related

I find it funny that when he pulls it off the shelf it already has cigs sticking out. It's so out of place in a show where they use stone for everything. Is there even paper in the Flintstones world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Having seen the whole thing:

This show is mediocre at best. I know a goon made it and, sorry dude, but this show isn't very good.

Clamantha is the only redeeming thing about it.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
^Some of the jokes were pretty out there, which I liked (the realistic human foot, Clamantha exploding, the whole "FRIENDS!" thing) and appear to show the influence of Atoms and Greenblatt. It was definitely better than the preview episode.

ETA: There also seems to be a bit of humor playing on the predictability of underwater-set cartoons- rather than having a clever punny name, they just flat-out say something unoriginal with "Fish" attached to it like "Fish Broadway" or "Fish Austin, Texas."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 25, 2010

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
No paper, always stone tablets.

Ice Blue posted:

Apparently there's some shakedown going on at Cartoon Network west coast HQ (maybe the whole company). I was invited to have a tour of the studios by a dad of one of the producers that works there (who worked on Chowder) but then I heard it fell through because of some shakedown at the company making it a bad time to visit.

:ohdear: I wonder what that means. They've finally hit a wonderful stride with Regular Show, Adventure Time, just coming off Chowder and Flapjack, their action is awesome with Sym-bionic Titan and Star Wars, I hope none of these are affected.

It's kind of like when they had their massive block of Cartoon Cartoons when I was younger, everything is just kind of fun and awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mobo85 posted:

ETA: Oh, the seahorse teacher is Master Shake.

Dude only does one voice really, it's impossible to miss him.

Also yeah Fishhooks was pretty mediocre. Sorry goon that worked on it.

At least there's a new Phineas and Ferb to cleanse the palate.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Fishylungs posted:

No paper, always stone tablets.

:ohdear: I wonder what that means. They've finally hit a wonderful stride with Regular Show, Adventure Time, just coming off Chowder and Flapjack, their action is awesome with Sym-bionic Titan and Star Wars, I hope none of these are affected.

It's kind of like when they had their massive block of Cartoon Cartoons when I was younger, everything is just kind of fun and awesome.
I don't think Cartoon Network will ever hit the stride they did back then when they were experimenting on so many new shows by new talent. It was basically a renaissance in their programming. There's definitely some great stuff being made now but it's not the same as when they were premiering new and original content every week on their programming block dedicated to new shows/pilots. I remember when Friday was a huge night for them showing all their big new hits and premiering new stuff to see what would stick.

You basically just named a handful of good series, back then we had more than I can name.

Anyways I don't know if it's just nostalgia glasses but I really miss the old days of CN. I don't mean none of the new stuff is good but I remember watching a lot of classic stuff like Flintstones, Jetsons, Popeye, Tom and Jerry as well as random stuff on Toonheads and even a lot of black and white stuff. Then they started working on new original shows like Two Stupid Dogs and the Cartoon Cartoons, which were great. These days it's mostly new shows and reruns of shows that came out within the last few years. Most shows that come out seem pretty derivative, though we get some gems in there. It's not to say classic shows weren't poo poo either. For every Flintstones where was Jabberjaw, Hong Kong Phooey. For every Wacky Races there was endless Screwy Squirrel and Pirates of Dark Water.

I guess I wish I had Boomerang.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 25, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shadow The Rat posted:

Regular Show is pretty awesome and I shouldn't have put off watching it as long as I did.

fist-pump

Dude go post in the RS thread so it gets bumped and doesn't die horribly! (It's my baby)

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Ice Blue posted:

Apparently there's some shakedown going on at Cartoon Network west coast HQ (maybe the whole company). I was invited to have a tour of the studios by a dad of one of the producers that works there (who worked on Chowder) but then I heard it fell through because of some shakedown at the company making it a bad time to visit.

I'm here at CN and I haven't heard anything about any type of craziness going down other than the usual craziness from the adult swim guys.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sockser posted:

Verdict on Fish Hooks:

edit: It's a clam that makes oysters. the clam is the best character

Absolutely. Clamantha's voice is great.

I also like the photorealistic collage elements, like the lobster during the credits (I laughed) and the bug-eyed cat (I laughed again).

It's all right so far. I see some serious potential here. I was reminded of My Gym Partner's a Monkey, but Fish Hooks is thankfully steering clear of the fart and rear end humor so far.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Deja vu all over again!

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 25, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I was surprised to see that Fish Hooks appears to be going for the "original song every episode" thing, since there wasn't a song in the pilot. I guess they're going for the Phineas and Ferb type of thing. (Then again, Phineas and Ferb didn't have a song in its pilot episode either, although it did have the Perry the Platypus theme in its closing credits). I also like the fact that Fish Hooks runs a cast list at the beginning of each episode. More cartoons should treat their voice cast like a real cast that way, and it also prevents the "hey, who's that?" sort of thing by not having to wait till the closing credits to see who the voices were- I was surprised that Rachel Dratch was the monosyllabic Koi, for example. (With recurring guest stars such as Jerry Stiller and Richard Simmons coming up, I'm sure a number of the voices will be recognizable.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Heck, that's brief prose compared to the Phineas and Ferb Wiki's description of the episode, which is 15 paragraphs long.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, on a related note, Wikipedia has a lot of way-too-detailed-and-academic episode write-ups for P&F :psyduck:
The TV Tropes page for P&F is equally bad.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhineasAndFerb

Notice how small the scroll bar gets. :ughh:

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I'm here at CN and I haven't heard anything about any type of craziness going down other than the usual craziness from the adult swim guys.
At the west coast headquarters?

an uncanny otter
Mar 31, 2010

WV?: Rise up.
So what's the general goon consensus on iCarly?

My little sister watches the show a lot and while I've tried to like it, I just can't do it. The only character that's remotely likable is Freddie, and Miranda Cosgrove's voice is grating beyond belief. None of it is really all that funny and it just seems to be really obnoxious.

There seems to be a fair amount of people that like the show though so is there something I'm not getting?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!
^^^^ Above all, I think Nickelodeon and Disney try to sell a fantasy to their younger audience. Yeah, it's unrealistic, but it's positive. Same way with Victorious: everyone is supposed to assume that everyone who graduates will continue to pursue their education through college, and they'll be an instant hit with employers after graduating and going to their first real auditions. However, consider how screwed the ones who suck at their talent or just didn't find success would be having to find an entirely different career, or just stick to minimum wage jobs the rest of their lives?

an uncanny otter posted:

So what's the general goon consensus on iCarly?

My little sister watches the show a lot and while I've tried to like it, I just can't do it. The only character that's remotely likable is Freddie, and Miranda Cosgrove's voice is grating beyond belief. None of it is really all that funny and it just seems to be really obnoxious.

There seems to be a fair amount of people that like the show though so is there something I'm not getting?

It's pretty much like every other over-the-top Nick sitcom, but the setting of the show and the characters just somehow make it work. Not amazing television, in my opinion, but I've been sucked in beyond reason. :psyduck:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Holy crap.. I'm watching the Re-Run of the 2nd episode of Symbiotic Titan. Sure. It hits a lot of cliche's of the Giant Robot/Team but.. it's also really fun and over the top.

Also, drat brutal. Good fight scenes, a nice chase scene.. and it never forgets about the home world.

I like the characters, and it's fun with awesome art.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

PicklePants posted:

Holy crap.. I'm watching the Re-Run of the 2nd episode of Symbiotic Titan. Sure. It hits a lot of cliche's of the Giant Robot/Team but.. it's also really fun and over the top.

Also, drat brutal. Good fight scenes, a nice chase scene.. and it never forgets about the home world.

I like the characters, and it's fun with awesome art.
Try posting in the Sym-Bionic Titan thread.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ice Blue posted:

You basically just named a handful of good series, back then we had more than I can name.

I don't know. I remember Cartoon Network having a lot more bizarre and weird stuff that never really appealed to me. Though I do have to nothing beats their old advertisements from Devo and They Might Be Giants:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbKby_0kHKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJkZQzyCtU

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 28, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

WB animation/Television will reveal some more info on young justice and the CG green Lantern series at this years New York Comic Con.

edit: As well as some other poo poo.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best Arthur is the one with homages to Beavis and Butthead, South Park, and Dr. Katz (among others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHo8111MLw

Hell, I suppose you could even assume the episode title is a Seinfeld reference.

Holy poo poo.

"Why would anyone want hairy carrots?"
"To go with hairy fish!"

:aaaaa:

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 4, 2010

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Anyone else see the new Scooby Doo! Mystery Inc. episode this week? It seems to have taken a turn for the deranged with that visit to the animal asylum (e.g., Yogi being hauled on a dolly a la Hannibal Lector). I'm starting to like it a bit more, as the story seems to be getting deeper and weirder, with shades of X-Files, even (maybe?).

Also, Fred being so absolutely clueless about women is pure gold.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best Arthur is the one with homages to Beavis and Butthead, South Park, and Dr. Katz (among others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHo8111MLw

Hell, I suppose you could even assume the episode title is a Seinfeld reference.

Honestly the weirdest part about this for me is that they're writing stories about themselves for a show that's about them. :psyduck:

I did really enjoy the "Five years later" joke, especially since they did actually age them.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

sickinwyoming posted:

Honestly the weirdest part about this for me is that they're writing stories about themselves for a show that's about them. :psyduck:

What's even more bizarre is that this story was suggested by the winner of a TV Guide contest (who is namedropped at the end of the episode.) So basically, she won a contest to come up with an idea for an episode of Arthur with an idea about a contest to come up with an idea for an episode of Arthur. Or something.

It's been a while since I've seen Arthur (surprisingly, it's still running), but I do remember this being a memorable episode. I especially like the gag about Hulk Hogan fighting the Associated Press, among others.

Other random recent kids show thoughts:
*T.U.F.F. Puppy I liked. Planet Sheen...not so much.
*MAD seems to be improving each week. Last week had a Glee parody I thought was pretty amusing, while this week was probably the best so far with a lot of memorable sketches: A Wall-E/Terminator crossover where Wall-E travels to the present and starts terminating producers of trash (ending with, of course, the MAD offices), a spot gag with a celebrity being slimed at the Kids' Choice Awards causing her to turn into a monster, a bit involving the other Lucky Charms leprechaun that no one wants to catch because he's the one who makes the cereal part ("But I've got all your favorite shapes! Brown square, brown X, brown...I don't know what that is? A bell, maybe?"), and Extreme Makeover: Fortress of Solitude Edition (a door leading to the Phantom Zone, where Danny Phantom is chasing Casper, General Zod: "Would you keep it down? I'm trying to watch Victorious! Superman: I'll show YOU who's victorious!," "Next week, we make over this House!" [cut to Dr. House]"). Sure, they're silly pop-culture gags, but they're funny silly pop-culture gags. Tom Richmond's caricatures help. Here's a sampling of some of his caricature work: David Caruso for CSiCarly, cast of Glee, Superman's Extreme Makeover

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 7, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

*MAD seems to be improving each week.

Really? Oh god. I really liked the artistic style--especially the caricatures--but, for me, the whole show was just a bitter reminder that all of the funny people at MAD Magazine died 10 years ago. Now, just saying "Justin Bieber" counts as a joke.

Some of the ideas were clever, but the execution was just too blunt and hamfisted, and it reeked too strongly of self-applause, if that makes sense.

But, this was my first episode, so I'll take your word for it that it's improving.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 7, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone posted some info on the cast of Robotomy. Most of the page is about Adventure time though.

Robotomy will premiere on Cartoon Network on Monday, October 25

quote:

Robotomy tells the story of Thrasher and Blastus, two outsider teenage droids who are only slightly less horrific than the ultra-powerful robots that populate their planet, Killglobe. Now they face their greatest challenge yet: high school. Armed with a desire to fit in (and little else), Thrasher and Blastus navigate their lives with varying degrees of success. Stand up comedy icon Patton Oswalt (Ratatouille, King of Queens) voices Thrasher, with John Gemberling as Blastus. Other celebrity cameos in the first season include Jack McBrayer (30 Rock), Lewis Black (Daily Show), Eliza Dushku (Dollhouse), rapper Lil Jon, and comedians Gilbert Gottfried and Lisa Lampanelli. Created by Michael Buckley (N.E.R.D.S., The Sisters Grimm), Joe Deasy and co-executive produced by Christy Karacas (Superjail), Robotomy, a quarter-hour series, is produced in at New York World Leaders Entertainment.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/35282/cn-sets-adventure-time-s2-for-oct-11-robotomy-premiere-for-oct-25-2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alright, Gemberling is a pretty funny dude.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I heard somebody in this thread has a general taste for orange soda.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's a new Phineas and Ferb on at 8:30 today just fyi.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lazlow posted:

Anyone else see the new Scooby Doo! Mystery Inc. episode this week? It seems to have taken a turn for the deranged with that visit to the animal asylum (e.g., Yogi being hauled on a dolly a la Hannibal Lector). I'm starting to like it a bit more, as the story seems to be getting deeper and weirder, with shades of X-Files, even (maybe?).

Also, Fred being so absolutely clueless about women is pure gold.

Yes. That last episode was golden.

Fred is such a dick sometimes it's amazing. You can pretty much count on him to say something completely terrible whenever someone else has some sort of problem.

The animal asylum with the malicious giraffe and the evil genius former mascot was just amazing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

mobo85 posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Arthur (surprisingly, it's still running), but I do remember this being a memorable episode. I especially like the gag about Hulk Hogan fighting the Associated Press, among others.

Not only is it still running, but PBS here has been heavily promoting its new season (along with Martha Speaks) that starts next week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone posted some info on the cast of Robotomy. Most of the page is about Adventure time though.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/35282/cn-sets-adventure-time-s2-for-oct-11-robotomy-premiere-for-oct-25-2010
"Killglobe." How very Superjail-esque. Which is to be expected, I suppose.

King Cyborg
Dec 29, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

The animal asylum with the malicious giraffe and the evil genius former mascot was just amazing.

I'm betting that Mr. E turns out to be the parrot. Also, I can't believe I only just got that pun.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

King Cyborg posted:

I'm betting that Mr. E turns out to be the parrot. Also, I can't believe I only just got that pun.

Professor Pericles? Possible, I suppose... I was going to add 'but unlikely' to that but who knows? It's Scooby Doo.

This certainly has a darker undertone than any other Scooby Doo iteration, the allusion to a betrayal within the group is pretty ominous. I keep expecting a Venture Brothers 'Viva los Muertos' type scene to come out of nowhere and end up with someone getting decapitated.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thelaughingman posted:

Patton Oswalt? SOLD!

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

CN will produce a series based on "How to train your dragon"

edit: And some info about the upcoming Young Justice and Green Lantern series.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 13, 2010

Bonkfast
Jul 14, 2007
The shows I watch on kids networks... I watch SpongeBob SquarePants and Victorious on Nick, Zevo-3 on Nicktoons, Hannah Montana on Disney Channel, and Adventure Time with Finn and Jake, Regular Show, MAD, Generator Rex, and Pokémon on Cartoon Network.

If we're talking about The Hub too, I watch Deltora Quest on it.

I'd like to know more about Robotomy, it sounds... weird. Shake It Up looks cool too, from the previews, it looks like it shows that to makes your dreams come true, you must *gasp* actually put some effort into it! :O

I'll watch Taylor Swift: Journey to Fearless next week too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Anyone else like Wizards of Waverly place?