Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

LvK posted:

Where's the best place to buy Chikara DVDs? I'm interested in the King of Trios DVDs but 1.) Smart Mark Videos only has the last two and 2.) I can't justify dropping 60 dollars for the full event right now :(

Other than ebay, where most will be lovely pirated copies, Smart Mark is the only place to buy them (and they have a sale on at the moment so you'll save 25% on that $60).

Also, they have 2007 and 2008 as well

King of Trios 2007: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-16-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Hellertown-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-17-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Barnesville-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-18-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

King of Trios 2008: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-February-29-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-1-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-2-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm tired of writing and needed a break so I figured I'd count the number of folks I could think of without using Google or Wikipedia who've done a narcissist gimmick.

Buddy Rogers, Ric Flair, Bobby Eaton, Chris Masters, Shawn Stasiak, Scotty Riggs, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell, Jesse Ventura, Billy Graham, Scott Steiner, Cody Rhodes, Rick Rude, and if you'll be generous, Mr. Perfect.

So really only 14 with a possible 15th can I name off the top of my head but I think my point still stands. It's been done to death. Despite that, with the right performer it always seems to work.

Honorable mention goes to Muhammad Ali as he bit his entire schtick from pro wrestlers reportedly.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Gorgeous George?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
How quickly we forget Rob Conway

e:

Based on the appearance of the local wrestlers, he thought it would only take six months to make it to the WWE (then WWF); it eventually took him six years. Conway and his family attend East Audubon Baptist Church in Louisville. He also starred in the movie, "Thugin' It the Conway" featuring Val Venis.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 24, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

LividLiquid posted:

Honorable mention goes to Muhammad Ali as he bit his entire schtick from pro wrestlers reportedly.

Not reportedly, it's fact. He always claimed he took his promos from Gorgeous George who he saw do a radio. Later, he worked with Freddie Blassie and realized he was the wrestler he'd seen and said so during the build-up to the Inoki spectacle. Then he went back to claiming he watched Gorgeous George.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's loving awesome.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

apsouthern posted:

Other than ebay, where most will be lovely pirated copies, Smart Mark is the only place to buy them (and they have a sale on at the moment so you'll save 25% on that $60).

Also, they have 2007 and 2008 as well

King of Trios 2007: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-16-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Hellertown-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-17-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Barnesville-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-18-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

King of Trios 2008: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-February-29-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-1-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-2-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

Yessss thank you. I couldn't find them for some reason. Now, the question is, if I had to get one King of Trios event, which one should I sink my teeth into?

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
withouth question 09 kot, night two.

just awesome.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm tired of writing and needed a break so I figured I'd count the number of folks I could think of without using Google or Wikipedia who've done a narcissist gimmick.

Buddy Rogers, Ric Flair, Bobby Eaton, Chris Masters, Shawn Stasiak, Scotty Riggs, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell, Jesse Ventura, Billy Graham, Scott Steiner, Cody Rhodes, Rick Rude, and if you'll be generous, Mr. Perfect.

So really only 14 with a possible 15th can I name off the top of my head but I think my point still stands. It's been done to death. Despite that, with the right performer it always seems to work.

Val Venis

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Shawn Michaels?
Rick Martel?
Sylvan Grenier?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think we're getting close to simply naming people who worked as heels at some point. So I'll add Earthquake, Viscera, and the Great Khali.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TL posted:

I think we're getting close to simply naming people who worked as heels at some point. So I'll add Earthquake, Viscera, and the Great Khali.

Viscera did have that run as the Love Machine, though.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Viscera did have that run as the Love Machine, though.

This may be the only time anyone has ever said Viscera and run in the same sentence.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Also Mark Jindrak and I guess Cody Rhodes is kinda like that now too.

e: I actually had "Matt Morgan" typed up there before looking up "the Reflection of Perfection". I honestly can't remember what Mark Jindrak even looks like.

1) imagine perfection
2) imagine a mirror image of it

that's what he looks like

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Moose Bigelow posted:

This may be the only time anyone has ever said Viscera and run in the same sentence.

Does it count if someone said "Viscera" and the "runs" in the same sentence? Cause I'm sure that fat man has eaten some bad spicy food many a time.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

joshtothemaxx posted:

Does it count if someone said "Viscera" and the "runs" in the same sentence? Cause I'm sure that fat man has eaten some bad spicy food many a time.

I'll allow it.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LvK posted:

Yessss thank you. I couldn't find them for some reason. Now, the question is, if I had to get one King of Trios event, which one should I sink my teeth into?

I like 2010's tournament final but 2009 is easily the best year.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Was the Ultimate Warrior any good in the ring, or did people just like him because of his insane interviews?

EDIT: vv That's pretty much what I expected. Oh well, if nothing else he made screaming incoherently at the camera very entertaining.

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 25, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Stanfield posted:

Was the Ultimate Warrior any good in the ring, or did people just like him because of his insane interviews?

He was awful. Just terrible. But he had an awesome entrance, was huge, and was pushed to the moon so the people pretty much went with it.

But no, he was drat lovely in the ring, and the running joke was he'd blow up during his entrance and have nothing left during the match.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He was awful. Just terrible. But he had an awesome entrance, was huge, and was pushed to the moon so the people pretty much went with it.

But no, he was drat lovely in the ring, and the running joke was he'd blow up during his entrance and have nothing left during the match.

His world title reign was awful and did not do well for business as the WWF would have hoped at the time. I guess 15 second matches weren't cutting it for the main event scene?

Want an example of how horrible he was? Check out his title defense against Rick Rude at Summerslam. That is the definition of someone being carried through a match.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Stanfield posted:

EDIT: vv That's pretty much what I expected. Oh well, if nothing else he made screaming incoherently at the camera very entertaining.

The entrance.

If you don't mark for his entrance, you have no soul.

Now as a worker, he's one of the worst.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

broad question asking for a value judgment here: What's currently the best booked promotion in the US? Not necessarily the one with the best in ring talent, but the one that makes the best use of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

broad question asking for a value judgment here: What's currently the best booked promotion in the US? Not necessarily the one with the best in ring talent, but the one that makes the best use of it.

Either PWG, ROH or CHIKARA depending on your preferences really. I would say PWG right now although they've had the questionable Joey Ryan push, CHIKARA has the BDK angle some people don't like and ROH had Strong on top.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Lamuella posted:

PWG

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Yeah, most people would probably say PWG right now. Best booked promotion worldwide is obviously DDT.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
What is the story behind the David Flair Titantron and subsequent parodies?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Blinkman987 posted:

His original titantron was just like 8 looped seconds and was very bad.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Blinkman987 posted:

I believe the infamous David Flair Titantron is from a brief run (like 2-3 weeks) that David Flair had in WWE. People found it hilarious at how simple and silly the video was, especially the shot of Ric who just seemed so... disappointed.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
I always thought the Greg Helms sunglasses Titantron was funnier, especially since the 8 second looping video apparently has a 3 minute song to go with it

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Faxman posted:

I always thought the Greg Helms sunglasses Titantron was funnier, especially since the 8 second looping video apparently has a 3 minute song to go with it

Is this real, and not a David Flair-esque take off?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I dunno, Hogan v Warrior at WM VI was, imho, a pretty awesome match.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is this real, and not a David Flair-esque take off?

All the David Flair ones have the same music, such as this one, an artistic representation of Daniel Bryan's original WWE run.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Faxman posted:

All the David Flair ones have the same music, such as this one, an artistic representation of Daniel Bryan's original WWE run.

It just looks like an homage. But I don't know when that tron appeared, so I'll assume the Helms one was legit.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
The Helms tron is legit, but it was only used a couple of times, immediately after the gimmick change from The Hurricane to Gregory Helms. After he wrestled a few matches as Gregory Helms, they edited in more footage of him wrestling as Gregory Helms.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Shitty_Wok posted:

I dunno, Hogan v Warrior at WM VI was, imho, a pretty awesome match.

It absolutely was, but about 80% of that was the spectacle and the rest was a mix of dumb luck and actual hard work.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Graic posted:

The Helms tron is legit, but it was only used a couple of times, immediately after the gimmick change from The Hurricane to Gregory Helms. After he wrestled a few matches as Gregory Helms, they edited in more footage of him wrestling as Gregory Helms.

He also went straight to Smackdown where he was given a bigger push as the top cruiserweight.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Karmine posted:

It absolutely was, but about 80% of that was the spectacle and the rest was a mix of dumb luck and actual hard work.

This. It's just a really good example of epic main event 80's style booking. Warrior also had really good matches against Savage at WM VII and SummerSlam 92, but it was pretty much Savage carrying the entire thing. There's no Warrior match you can watch and say that it was good because of his performance. There's always another reason it was great, and he kind of happened to be there, too.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Karmine posted:

Also every single move was scripted and rehearsed .

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

CSammich posted:

Also every single move was scripted and rehearsed .

That too, which is true of the Savage matches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Faxman posted:

I always preferred the Scott Hall tron David Flair Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpy-A6tW2kM&feature=related