Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

foundtomorrow posted:

I would also really enjoy a suggestion for a large wall map if anyone knows of a cheap good one.

Ikea has one, not sure how expensive it is, but it's worth a look. It's in a nice canvas frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've always been a fan of the National Geographic maps, like the ones you used to get folded up between the pages of the magazine. I had them on my wall as a child. Looks like they've got them for sale online now, hopefully without the folds.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/category/maps

Here's the classic world map, 43" x 30", laminated for $25:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/best-sellers/world-political-map-(classic)%2C-laminated

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

And here we go.

I need a world map to put on the wall. Anyone know where to get one?

Do you just mash those giant dock icons with your palm or something?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BorderPatrol posted:

Do you just mash those giant dock icons with your palm or something?

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that. Those are xbox huge. :o

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

What headphones are those?

Sennheiser HD280 Pro. They've been with me for years and are a little more than war-torn at this point. I wouldn't suggest getting them to be honest.

And the Ikea map is loving expensive--like $150 expensive. It looks pretty great, though.

And yes, the icons are huge but I use those 95% of the time and think it looks better. In fact, I've never understood why people have more than 6 icons in the dock. It just seems illogical to me.

Or maybe I'm just an old man.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 18, 2010

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Taking a moment off from moving my junk to a new room to enjoy my new desk and a tasty beverage:

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

Still a little junky, and I haven't exactly gotten all of my monitors in place. I've still got two more I've got to fit on this tiny desk. The triple monitor setup is pretty cool for gaming, though.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

The Leon Hikari posted:

Still a little junky, and I haven't exactly gotten all of my monitors in place. I've still got two more I've got to fit on this tiny desk. The triple monitor setup is pretty cool for gaming, though.

Off-topic, but do you have a link for those wallpapers?

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
It's just one giant wallpaper. Give me a place to upload a 3mb image and you can have it.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

orion nebula wallpaper:

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009

braden posted:

pic
How are you finding the touchpad?

edit: as a minor question (not intended as a derail) to the folks with the MacBook/Monitor setups, how do you guys get your game on? :ohdear: The only reason why I'm using my Windows rig anymore is games, and I'm thinking of dual-booting it with OS X soon at that.

nyoron fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 23, 2010

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
The trackpad rocks. For getting around the desktop, itunes and especially the web it is so nice. The 3-finger swipe to go back in the web browser saves precious seconds that I'd lose if I had to move my mouse up to the "back" button :) And intertial scrolling just owns.

Team Fortress 2 is the only game I truly *play*, and I play it on my Win7 Bootcamp partition (the Mac version is not quite as smooth yet) But this little machine can handle some newer games as well, I played through Batman Arkham Asylum and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games on it. I don't play them much anymore but I had both L4D games on my Win7 partition as well and they both ran fine.

And of course my wired Logitech mouse gets plugged in for gaming.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

braden posted:

orion nebula wallpaper:

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

Thanks. Love that wallpaper.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Here's my overworked desk. That nice fading in the middle is the result of using a mouse without a mouse pad in one spot for too long. Pretty boring, but pretty functional for a student.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Do standing desks count?

Details which can't really be seen due to crappy image:
Dual 23" IPS wide screen monitors for work, sporting boring federal government backgrounds
X200 tablet off to the side for play
Buckling spring keyboard
Yogurt cap for a coaster

The mouse doesn't have much room for movement, but 99% of my work is via the keyboard, so I don't care.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
While the Ikea Jerker is an awesome desk, I finally decided to ditch it for a DIY floating shelf/table.

Before:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

After:

Click here for the full 730x547 image.

Zash
Mar 30, 2010

COMPTUERS

CaptBubba posted:

Do standing desks count?

Details which can't really be seen due to crappy image:
Dual 23" IPS wide screen monitors for work, sporting boring federal government backgrounds
X200 tablet off to the side for play
Buckling spring keyboard
Yogurt cap for a coaster

The mouse doesn't have much room for movement, but 99% of my work is via the keyboard, so I don't care.

Is that a Unicomp Customizer 104? I just got one recently and love the hell out of it.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009

braden posted:

The trackpad rocks. For getting around the desktop, itunes and especially the web it is so nice. The 3-finger swipe to go back in the web browser saves precious seconds that I'd lose if I had to move my mouse up to the "back" button :) And intertial scrolling just owns.

Really? you have never used a mouse with a "back button" ?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

braden posted:

You can get scrolling with interia in firefox with YASS using a mouse wheel, and I'd rather move my thumb 3mm to press a physical back button than take my hand off and swipe with 3 fingers (just to say.. I do regularly use a Macbook with a multitouch trackpad). There are some cool things about the trackpad, but I'd rather have my mouse

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 5, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Tharax posted:

Really? you have never used a mouse with a "back button" ?

I don't believe Apple have ever put extra buttons on their mice, have they?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Centipeed posted:

People actually used those Apple mice?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I know this is an over reaction, but Jesus Christ yes they have. Even though it breaks constantly even the lovely rear end mighty mouse has a side button and a goddamn trackball for scrolling. Apple has sold multi button mice for quite a while.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Juriko posted:

I know this is an over reaction, but Jesus Christ yes they have. Even though it breaks constantly even the lovely rear end mighty mouse has a side button and a goddamn trackball for scrolling. Apple has sold multi button mice for quite a while.

Right, but the mighty mouse was the very first multibutton apple mouse. It was released five years ago, which isn't that long, considering mice began to be used in computers ~30 years prior.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Juriko posted:

I knew the mighty mouse had the two top buttons and the scroll ball in the middle, but I wasn't aware that they'd put a side button on there.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Reggie Died posted:

While the Ikea Jerker is an awesome desk, I finally decided to ditch it for a DIY floating shelf/table.
After:

Amazing desk, Ive done a floating L in the past. I am assuming yours doesn't have brackets and is just anchored on either end. If you have any more photos of the desk I would love to see them. Trying to get some inspiration for my new office.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Centipeed posted:

I knew the mighty mouse had the two top buttons and the scroll ball in the middle, but I wasn't aware that they'd put a side button on there.

It has one physical button, but sensors to detect which side of the mouse your finger is resting. When the physical switch then makes contact, it decides which action to take based on the aforementioned sensor. That makes it utterly useless for games where you might press both at once.

It has buttons on the side, well, either side of the mouse, but they only function as one when you "squeeze" the mouse, the default action being expose, iirc

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 5, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

It has one physical button, but sensors to detect which side of the mouse your finger is resting. When the physical switch then makes contact, it decides which action to take based on the aforementioned sensor. That makes it utterly useless for games where you might press both at once.

It has buttons on the side, well, either side of the mouse, but the only function as one when you "squeeze" the mouse, the default action being expose, iirc

This must seem like a pointless attempt at "impressive" technology to more than just me.

But anyway, I was right about there being no buttons for back/forwards on Apple's mice, then.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Reggie Died posted:

After:

What did you use for the top? is it solid wood? Asking because that's totally my future desk and I have you to thank for the ideas I'm going to steal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Centipeed posted:

This must seem like a pointless attempt at "impressive" technology to more than just me.

No everyone hates the Mighty Mouse because it's an awful, pill-shaped input device.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

No everyone hates the Mighty Mouse because it's an awful, pill-shaped input device.

Pretty much. I like the track ball actually, it is really nice for text editors compared to a traditional wheel, but the shape of the mouse wounds it fatally, and the lack of of any way to clean said trackball kills it entirely. On top of that it has like, 2002 era optical tracking.

Also it is a bar of soap, a filthy bar of soap.

Centipeed posted:

You actually get used to the whole touch thing, it is silly but not a deal breaker for the average user. What really kills it is the shape is just horrible, and they break constantly. Well not break so much as get gunked up, and it is completely impossible to service since the entire thing is glued together. If you are very careful you might get buy with superficial damage, but then you have to glue it together again which means you are screwed when you need to open it again in 4 months. It is 100% disposable and 100% lame.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Bucket Joneses posted:

YES. I just replaced my Mighty Mouse at work out of my own pocket because it was such a piece of poo poo. I was ready for a complete computing meltdown between the scrolling ball thing getting all gummed up and refusing to scroll in a particular direction and having to click the furthest top right corner to register a right click. I am easily twice as productive with this $20 Logitech wireless mouse because I don't have to THINK about using the mouse.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
I'm glad to know that this is the thread in which I can argue about the smallest details of a mouse.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Juriko posted:

Also it is a bar of soap, a filthy bar of soap.
Not to derail, but this comment reminds me of 1:40 of this. NSFW for language.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

IsaacNewton posted:

What did you use for the top? is it solid wood? Asking because that's totally my future desk and I have you to thank for the ideas I'm going to steal.

Yeah, it's three pieces of 2x8 (or 2x10, forget, been working out of town past few weeks) of fir. I was going to use plywood but because it's floating and long (almost 8 feet), I think the plywood would have sunk in the middle.

niss posted:

Amazing desk, Ive done a floating L in the past. I am assuming yours doesn't have brackets and is just anchored on either end. If you have any more photos of the desk I would love to see them. Trying to get some inspiration for my new office.

Thanks for the kind words. No brackets, but it's anchored on either end and throughout the middle. I fastened 2x4's to the studs horizontally and then framed them out with pressure blocks. I can take some pictures of the underside when I get home if you want.

The great thing about it is the cable management. I can just nail all the cables to the underside framing material with standard cable staples, and those two small bookshelves on either end (which my computer sits on) are on wheels so it's easy to get to the back of the comp.

The two drawers / keyboard tray were probably the hardest part...I'll take pictures of those if you want too, let me know.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Reggie Died posted:

I'll take pictures of those if you want too, let me know.

Please do, you don't happen to have any in-progress pics as well eh?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Reggie Died posted:

I can take some pictures of the underside when I get home if you want.

The two drawers / keyboard tray were probably the hardest part...I'll take pictures of those if you want too, let me know.

Any pics you wouldn't mind sharing would be greatly appreciated.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

thank you for resizing those :x

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
Crappy lowlight iPhone picture.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Practically everything in the picture has been purchased in the last few weeks and I'm actually kind of proud of how this space has come together. That's actually the edge of my bed to give you an idea of how small the space is, although it means that I can happily watch movies from bed. The desk is an Ikea Jerker with pullout that doubles as a bedside table. Underneath that is one of these for some storage.

Apart from that I think it's mostly self explanatory except for maybe the black blob on top of the books - they're headphones. The chair is really the last thing that needs to be replaced since it's terrible for long stretches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human skumm
Jun 7, 2003

Eyeball, mix, and consume unknown, unresearched, potentially dangerous research chemicals ERRRRY-DAY
Don't post much in SH/SC but here goes!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

notice the state of the art 5.1 dolby digital surround sound system to the left of the CRT monitor