Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

savinhill posted:

He looks like the Brain.

Playing the role of Pinky is Santino. NARF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Horse Pepsi posted:

Playing the role of Pinky is Santino. The NARF!

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Can someone explain the "pay windah" thing to me. I gather it's something Dusty said but can you point me to a video?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

servo106 posted:

Can someone explain the "pay windah" thing to me. I gather it's something Dusty said but can you point me to a video?

Oh man he would say it at least once an episode on old episodes of WCW Saturday night. He said it all the drat time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

servo106 posted:

Dusty was referring to the kayfabed universe where wrestlers were paid more if they won that Gorilla Monsoon often referenced. Anyway, in this universe, after your match, you go to the Pay Window to get paid. Dusty would often say that a wrestler was on a roll and would take it all the way to the Pay Window or "pay windah" with his ridiculous accent.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like to think that everybody in Texas talks like Dusty. It makes everything seem a little better.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

savinhill posted:

He looks like the Brain.

This is a gimmick I support.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Faxman posted:

This is a gimmick I support.

It's basically Jesse and Festus if they ever turned heel.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

It's basically Jesse and Festus if they ever turned heel.

Would be WAY better.

Though I think Santino becoming unexpectedly super-smart, and using Kozlov as dumb muscle, would be a better fit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

Would be WAY better.

Though I think Santino becoming unexpectedly super-smart, and using Kozlov as dumb muscle, would be a better fit.

Reverse that and you've got something.

"So-a Vladamir! Whatta we gonna do tonight?"

"Same thing we do every night, Santino. Try to take over double-double-E!!!"

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Gaz-L posted:

Reverse that and you've got something.

"So-a Vladamir! Whatta we gonna do tonight?"

"Same thing we do every night, Santino. Try to take over double-double-E!!!"

I wholeheartedly support this.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Has Warrior ever stated what steroids he was on during his run in the late 80's/early 90's?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

I wholeheartedly support this.

I support it further if all Kozlov's plans involve using Santino as bait/distraction/ a punching bag.

Or if it means Santino actually HITS the all-powerful COBRA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Has Warrior ever stated what steroids he was on during his run in the late 80's/early 90's?
All of them. All of the steroids.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

ChampRamp posted:

As far as I recall he still denies ever using them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

All of them. All of the steroids.

Incidentally this is why he's still on the outs with Vince. He stole some of Vinny Mac's gas.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ChampRamp posted:

Destrucity.

Also the worst thing about Maven was the night cam footage of him loving Nidia on tough enough.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
This is probably an older-school question since I can only think of "modern-day" wrestlers who fit the bill and I'm sure there were more back in the day, but who would you guys classify as being in "could get at least a decent/passable/good match with literally any pro wrestler on Earth" territory? The only names I could come up with are Flair, HBK, and Angle, and possibly Funk, but I haven't seen any Funk matches where he was facing a complete stiff.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Benoit got a good match out of Sid.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So add Benoit to the list, then. And possibly Steamboat (I haven't seen any Steamboat vs. stiff matches either, but he's great).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don't remember either their World or US title matches getting much above average.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

I don't remember either their World or US title matches getting much above average.

For Sid, that's a career highlight.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

CVagts posted:

For Sid, that's a career highlight.

I agree with this post.

A-Train and Billy Gunn also had really good matches with Benoit. I can't think of many other examples of good A-Train or Billy Gunn matches.

I think Bret Hart should be on that list too. Isn't there some story where his opponent was high as gently caress and he dragged them through a ***** match.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

I agree with this post.

A-Train and Billy Gunn also had really good matches with Benoit. I can't think of many other examples of good A-Train or Billy Gunn matches.

I think Bret Hart should be on that list too. Isn't there some story where his opponent was high as gently caress and he dragged them through a ***** match.

Maybe Summerslam '92 against Davey Boy Smith, where Davey was so nervous/pilled up that by the time they got in the ring, he couldn't remember any of the spots they'd carefully planned out beforehand. As the story goes, Bret made the whole thing up on the fly and carried Davey in all regards. I don't know if it was a five star classic but it was pretty great and the atmosphere helped a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bikeage posted:

Maybe Summerslam '92 against Davey Boy Smith, where Davey was so nervous/pilled up that by the time they got in the ring, he couldn't remember any of the spots they'd carefully planned out beforehand. As the story goes, Bret made the whole thing up on the fly and carried Davey in all regards. I don't know if it was a five star classic but it was pretty great and the atmosphere helped a lot.

Funny story: that match is actually responsible for the creation of a sixth star. It is the only match in pro wrestling history to achieve such an incredible honor.*

*Source: Bret Hart

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

oldpainless posted:

Funny story: that match is actually responsible for the creation of a sixth star. It is the only match in pro wrestling history to achieve such an incredible honor.*

*Source: Bret Hart

Unfortunately that sixth star kicked him in the head and gave him 30 concussions. :(

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

Unfortunately that sixth star kicked him in the head and gave him 30 concussions. :(

No you're thinking of a six-sided star. :v:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Because nobody could get Sid much above average. If Sid's best match wasn't against Benoit, it was against Shawn, and I can see the argument either way.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Web Jew.0 posted:

Well, A-Train in Japan has really good matches.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CVagts posted:

This is probably an older-school question since I can only think of "modern-day" wrestlers who fit the bill and I'm sure there were more back in the day, but who would you guys classify as being in "could get at least a decent/passable/good match with literally any pro wrestler on Earth" territory? The only names I could come up with are Flair, HBK, and Angle, and possibly Funk, but I haven't seen any Funk matches where he was facing a complete stiff.

Funk was awful against Harley Race and both men say so because both men tried to lead the matches. If they simply rotated who controlled the match they'd have had great ones though.

I'd add the Rock to that list because after he became the People's Champ I can't think of a single match that wasn't exciting.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Some possible contenders, most of these guys aren't ones I'm really familiar with, but I've seen their names come up time and again.

Curt Hennig
Benoit
Dynamite Kid
Macho Man (dude got a ****1/4 match with the Ultimate Warrior)
Chris Jericho (depends on how good his matches with Stevie Ray, WCW era Konnan are in your eyes, along with his WWF/E matches with the likes of Chyna, Shamrock and Kane)
Nick Bockwinkel
Dory Funk Jr.
Ray Stevens
Muta
KENTA
Jumbo Tsuruta
Harley Race

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Well, A-Train in Japan has really good matches.

And there was that surprisingly watchable Albert/Kane Smackdown match from 2001.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I'd suggest Regal could be added to that list, especially as he has had decent matches with Darren Young on Superstars twice over the last few weeks

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I love Regal beyond all propriety, but somethimes he goes inexplicably poo poo for some reason.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

apsouthern posted:

I'd suggest Regal could be added to that list, especially as he has had decent matches with Darren Young on Superstars twice over the last few weeks

and got a variety of moves out of Goldberg.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

and got a variety of moves out of Goldberg.

People watch that match and forget that originally Goldberg was supposed to be the ultimate hybrid wrestler who could do kicks, submissions and power moves along with a little bit of lucha. Goldberg trying submissions on Regal was natural to his character. It's just Regal didn't really sell much and forced Goldberg to work for everything.

I honestly love the Goldberg/Regal match. I thought it made Goldberg look good.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

Also the worst thing about Maven was the night cam footage of him loving Nidia on tough enough.
What...I don't remember this, and I'm glad.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

People watch that match and forget that originally Goldberg was supposed to be the ultimate hybrid wrestler who could do kicks, submissions and power moves along with a little bit of lucha. Goldberg trying submissions on Regal was natural to his character. It's just Regal didn't really sell much and forced Goldberg to work for everything.

I honestly love the Goldberg/Regal match. I thought it made Goldberg look good.
I agree, I wish Goldberg was booked to have more matches like this.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Lone Rogue posted:

People watch that match and forget that originally Goldberg was supposed to be the ultimate hybrid wrestler who could do kicks, submissions and power moves along with a little bit of lucha. Goldberg trying submissions on Regal was natural to his character.

Then why were the announcers selling it in pure shock as if Goldberg had put on a pointy hat and declared himself the Wizard King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Wojtek posted:

What...I don't remember this, and I'm glad.

the reunion show