Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeneralNelson
Jun 19, 2009

Dog Blogs Man posted:

Australia.

To be fair that's the casual rate with no added benefits, but I also get part time shifts at ~$18 which have sick leave and holiday pay.

Even though we're above 1 USD per 1 AUD now, things are probably a bit more expensive here, but it's hard to directly compare. I think it's pretty good/fair though, for the actual tasks I have to do.

I live and work in Australia (Sydneysider) too, though for about $20 an hour... and I've just been absolutely taken-aback reading this thread by how many people are actually living on like $8 US an hour. I figured Australia was a bit more expensive... but is it really that much more? Even when the Aussie dollar was at its lowest it would still only have been an equivalent of $16AU, and usually more like $12.

I'm only 19 as well.

e:
Oh wait a second, I just remember how much cheaper real estate was in the US. One can probably ignore this.

GeneralNelson fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

GeneralNelson posted:

I live and work in Australia (Sydneysider) too, though for about $20 an hour... and I've just been absolutely taken-aback reading this thread by how many people are actually living on like $8 US an hour.

To be honest, most people who earn that much barely scrape by in most areas. Unless you're in some podunk town with a low cost of living, $8 an hour probably won't cut it. I used to make $8.75 an hour and I barely managed to make rent and utilities and have enough money left over for food and replacing the clothes that got tore up at work.

Not to mention quite a lot of employers like to hire people as part-time and never move them to full so they don't have to pay for medical insurance and the like.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Octofoot posted:

Not to mention quite a lot of employers like to hire people as part-time and never move them to full so they don't have to pay for medical insurance and the like.

Yes this is so frustrating.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

GeneralNelson posted:

I live and work in Australia (Sydneysider) too, though for about $20 an hour... and I've just been absolutely taken-aback reading this thread by how many people are actually living on like $8 US an hour. I figured Australia was a bit more expensive... but is it really that much more? Even when the Aussie dollar was at its lowest it would still only have been an equivalent of $16AU, and usually more like $12.

I'm only 19 as well.

e:
Oh wait a second, I just remember how much cheaper real estate was in the US. One can probably ignore this.

Nah, there are gigantic slums and trailer parks were America's poor live--mostly the people eternally stuck in retail. I'm 23 and still living with my parents because I can't find a job that would even come remotely close to paying me enough to move out, and I've got a degree. $20 an hour is some Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous poo poo.

America runs on the broken bodies of the world's poor and destitute. Never forget that. :)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GeneralNelson posted:

I'm only 19 as well.

e:

No, this isn't something to ignore. The labor laws here grossly favor the employer to the point that employees are afraid to even protect themselves for fear of being labeled as "unemployable". Good luck forming a union as well, most of the time folks will rage on and on about how "if you don't like your job you can find another".

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Plus it's not unheard of for companies to have you work around 53 hours a week and then say "har har, gently caress you, you're not getting time and a half for those extra 13 hours" and laugh because they know you can't afford a loving lawyer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Octofoot posted:

Plus it's not unheard of for companies to have you work around 53 hours a week and then say "har har, gently caress you, you're not getting time and a half for those extra 13 hours" and laugh because they know you can't afford a loving lawyer.

I used to work at a car wash, they did schedules for every other week. Some weeks you might work 50-60 hours during the busy winter season, and be scheduled another 50 the next week only to have it snow a few days and you'd end up working around 20. Even though you worked overtime that first week, you'd not get overtime because you were under 80 hours for both weeks.

It was really, really lame. I don't know if it was illegal, though (Ohio back in 2002).

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Octofoot posted:

That's complete bullshit. Thank goodness Michigan actually has a law that says an employer has to pay time and a half for anything over 40.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
I just recently (today) came back from a 9 day vacation. I work at a large, big box warehouse that might as well gently caress Martha Stewart and trademark the color orange.

I run a department. I came back today to find that my department was a shambles, and that the only other capable person in the department (ie, capable of using lift equipment to downstock product for customers, lift anything heavy in general) has worked ~12 hours in the past 9 days in my department, and the rest (~48 hours) in other departments. 3 hours into my shift, my direct-report manager informs me the department looks terrible and is a disservice to our customers, and I need to fix it immediately. This is, again, 3 hours in, after I've been slaving away getting poo poo picked the gently caress up, have had time to catch up on essential reports, and really assess how much they hosed me. Keep in mind, prior to my vacation I had left a very detailed worklist for everyone in the department based on capabilities, and of course, the one other capable person really is the tie that binds.

My response? "What the gently caress do you think I've been doing? Maybe if the manager, you, who is responsible for this department paid more attention to it than to loving around her entire career then maybe I wouldn't be working my rear end off to repair 9 days of damage. Tell me something new, and while you're at it, gently caress off."

She walks away pretty aghast at my outburst. This is the first time I've done anything to her in this manner, and well, she loving deserves it. So, 30 minutes later, here comes my store manager:

"Hey, how was vacation?"
"Great."
"Why do you look so pissed?"
"Open your eyes and look around? You guys and your 'teamwork' left me bloated corpse of a department to revitalize. I wouldn't have taken a vacation if I knew I'd be coming back to this shitstorm and find out that your 'managers' have stripped my department of useful people in my absence to suit their own ends."
"I know, I heard from [stupid loving direct-report manager] your tirade. Do you want to talk about it off the sales floor?"
"I appreciate your willingness to discuss this sensibly, but to be honest, coming back to this makes me *really* have the urge to just hand you my notice and claim the rest of my time. I'd rather not 'talk,' and i'd rather see you hold people accountable for their lack of action like you always tell us to do."

Then I walked away. I feel I was justified in everything I said, and I won't be fired for this (God I wish I was though), and I know I won't be even disciplined for the outburst because the store manager was clearly giving off the 'I'm agreeing with you' vibe... but what the gently caress.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
I had an actual good experience in retail today! Somebody spilled their coffee all over the floor and before I could even grab a mop two little girls ran over with napkins and cleaned the whole thing up! (I still had to go over it with a mop and put up the wet floor sign because it would have dried all sticky, but it was still super sweet.) The guy who spilled the coffee was crazy apologetic too. I even offered to get him some more, but he declined. :3:.

That almost made up for that fact that corporate decided randomly that, even though there is nothing in the employee manual that states that it is a problem at all, and that technically it counts as a "lifestyle" which is protected under our non-discrimination policy, we can't have hair that is dyed anything other than a "natural" color. Which means literally half of the cafe has to re-dye their hair, and I can't dye my hair the purple that I was planning. Apparently some customer complained that my co-worker's green hair made her feel "unsafe" :wtf:.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

A Dapper Man posted:

That's complete bullshit. Thank goodness Michigan actually has a law that says an employer has to pay time and a half for anything over 40.
It's a federal law! :eng101:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya, >40 hours in a week or >8 hours in a day is overtime.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Big Taint posted:

See, I looked at labor laws for Connecticut and that's not the case here. The tl;dr of it is anything over 40 hours worked in one workweek is considered overtime, however anything over 8 hours in a workday is not.

However, there's also pretty strict criteria for when a salaried worker is required to be paid overtime v. when they are not. It basically comes down to whether you're a worker or a super, in any industry.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Big Taint posted:

Only in some states, like California.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Big Taint posted:

>8 hours isn't part of the law in Michigan. I work 9 to 11 hour shifts all the time, but if I don't go over 40, no OT.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

BittyWings posted:

I love the 'BUT I'M DOING YOU A FAVOUR BY BUYING IT AT A REDUCTION!?!?!?!' mentality.

You aren't. We'll return it for credit.

So, to start a mini-thread, when did y'all start having to put out Christmas stock? we started on the 15th September.

I'd say about the same time. It was about 2 months ago. I almost think we had it out before the Halloween stuff.

It's funny when we start removing all the summer stuff from our seasonal room, to make room for Christmas stuff....... when it's still summer.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

I had an actual good experience in retail today! Somebody spilled their coffee all over the floor and before I could even grab a mop two little girls ran over with napkins and cleaned the whole thing up! (I still had to go over it with a mop and put up the wet floor sign because it would have dried all sticky, but it was still super sweet.) The guy who spilled the coffee was crazy apologetic too. I even offered to get him some more, but he declined. :3:.

My Bed, Bath, and Beyond is right next to a Starbucks in the mall. People tend to constantly come in with lattes and whatnot... then when they get tired of them they just walk up to a shelf, remove an item, put their drink there, and place the item back in place hiding it. I've walked up front to throw away about 6 coffees at once before just because I was walking through 2 rooms of the store at the time :( Your coffee spill reminds me of that.

I also love how many people drop candles, causing glass to explode everywhere, then just sneak away and mention nothing about it.

Or the other day an Indian guy was pulling boxes off a shelf (I don't know why... maybe he was going to find one in good shape... maybe find one in bad shape and ask for a discount) and he ended up knocking over all like... 40 of them. Search through them, grabbed one, and looked at the next item on the wall and ignored his idiocy he spilled all over the floor.

At the same time I found someone had been opening cake dome boxes and left all of them all over the floor in the dinnerware department. Took me forever to get them all packed back up... I just loved looking in that room and seeing glass items all over the floor... loving morons...

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

we can't have hair that is dyed anything other than a "natural" color.....
Funny thing is... our store has a sign up in the hallway, next to a mirror. It says something like: "Are you presentable for work?" And one thing it lists is having facial hair neatly trimmed. I usually look at this and laugh because I have a beard... and I'll often be lazy / not have any time (full time school + almost full time work hours + me being lazy) for shaving... and I'll have gone about 2 weeks without shaving and over a month without trimming my beard haha.

But at the same time... One thing on the list is "No pastel hair colors." We've had this girl, Shameka, there for almost a year now. She's spent about 80% of the time with a big purple streak in her hair. I mean.... it's maybe ~1/4 of her hair? No one's ever said anything about it that I've noticed.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A Dapper Man posted:

>8 hours isn't part of the law in Michigan. I work 9 to 11 hour shifts all the time, but if I don't go over 40, no OT.

Wow, I thought that was federal. WTG California :hellyeah:

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
Can't speak to salaried employee situations, but in Virginia anything over 40 in one week counts as overtime. The length of time spent in any single shift is irrelevant. If you work a single 39-hour shift, for instance, that is *not* OT until you pass that fortieth hour.

Don't think that means salaried people get away with anything, though. "Mandatory unpaid overtime" is a fairly common thing to inflict on salaried people, because they're often considered part of "management" and so are not subject to the same overtime rules as hourly workers.

I don't know what to think about unions. It's certainly good to know that someone has your back, especially when going up against your employer. Even if all the union does is have a lawyer on call to investigate claims of fraud or abuse or what have you, that would be helpful.

But... Both my folks work for manufacturers, and apparently it's an accepted thing in manufacturing for union sites to have big, sturdy barbed-wire fences surrounding the facility, in addition to the normal cameras and rent-a-cops you'd expect to find pretty much anywhere. Non-union sites don't have these fences. I asked about it, and apparently the purpose of the fences is to safeguard company property against union protests. The implications of that are rather off-putting. So, my jury's still out on unions.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Pops posted:

But... Both my folks work for manufacturers, and apparently it's an accepted thing in manufacturing for union sites to have big, sturdy barbed-wire fences surrounding the facility, in addition to the normal cameras and rent-a-cops you'd expect to find pretty much anywhere. Non-union sites don't have these fences. I asked about it, and apparently the purpose of the fences is to safeguard company property against union protests. The implications of that are rather off-putting. So, my jury's still out on unions.

Sounds to me like a point in favor of unions. v:shobon:v Not because I'm a big fan of violence, but because if the capitalists really had it their way we'd all be working all the time for next to nothing. Someone's gotta push back.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

manguero posted:

Sounds to me like a point in favor of unions. v:shobon:v Not because I'm a big fan of violence, but because if the capitalists really had it their way we'd all be working all the time for next to nothing. Someone's gotta push back.

At the same time some union things seem ridiculous. A friend of mine up in Buffalo had a union job and he was telling me about all these rules that the place had to follow... The main one I always remember was that if they asked him to come into work at some time he wasn't schedule, they had to pay him overtime for it.

Even if he didn't show up.

Pops posted:

Don't think that means salaried people get away with anything, though. "Mandatory unpaid overtime" is a fairly common thing to inflict on salaried people, because they're often considered part of "management" and so are not subject to the same overtime rules as hourly workers.

Yeah Bed, Bath and Beyond is a bad place to be a manager at because that. Almost all the managers work 50-70 hours every week at a set salary.

We had one step down lately because she was going to kill someone if she had to stay in until 2-3AM again fixing stuff when she was scheduled to be there only 1PM-11PM.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well I got passed over for the Starbucks Team Lead position even though the store manager, HR, and basically every other employee I've ever talked to or worked with said they think I should get it.

The reason?

The district manager decided after 3-5 questions in a less than 15 minute time span that I was not leadership material. Oh and for the first 4-5 minutes he was texting on his phone while I was sitting right in front of him.

The store manager apologized and said there's nothing she can do. Tomorrow I'll be handing in my two-weeks and start seriously working on getting my resume out to companies again. I'm tired of retail.

Peppergirl
May 6, 2007
My assistant manager is in need of a life, seriously one hour after the mall opened today she comes up to me and says we are not meeting our sales goals for the day! (Acting like it is my fault)Luckily she had to eat her words, because by afternoon we were packed. I do not get why she does that every morning, on weekends our mall gets slammed with tourists and bus trips. She drat well knows we will get busy, just like every weekend. The manager isn't a bitch about it, so why does the assistant manager have to be? Sorry for the rant, it was a hectic day. Tomorrow will be even better, we are scheduled to get 36 buses stopping at our mall.:v:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Almost the exact same thing happened to me today too. A little girl was being kinda rowdy while sitting in the shopping cart and ended up spilling her Dads iced coffee. Instead of A) Freaking out on the kid, B) Making it somehow my fault, or C) Both, he cleaned it up himself. He insisted. I grabbed paper towels and went to wipe it up (it was small spill) and he insisted on cleaning it up himself.

I was like whoa and he was like :c00l: and the girl was like :bubblewoop: tha end.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pops posted:

I don't know what to think about unions. It's certainly good to know that someone has your back, especially when going up against your employer. Even if all the union does is have a lawyer on call to investigate claims of fraud or abuse or what have you, that would be helpful.

It's not an issue of "union violence", but an issue of being able to effectively lock them out. To be honest I can't think of any case of mass (or singular) organized union violence in the past several years. We're not France or Greece or England.

The implication you should have is that at non-union sites the company can do whatever the gently caress they want to you with no recourse or due process. Say what you will about individual rules or unions, but unless it's totally in bed with the company you're better off in than out.

The thing to remember is that unions are composed of their individual members. ANy group of people is going to be less than perfect, and when you look at the scope of groups of people, some groups are going to be hosed up. It's like looking at a government or a corporation. Some are well run, others aren't. But for the same reason one shouldn't go around blaming corporations or governments as a whole for their problems, one shouldn't blame unions either.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
I don't know. As much as I despised most of my various managers, they mostly came across as a bunch of self-serving incompetent morons and officious pricks, not mustache-twirling evil slavers. ...Well, one of them might've been sinister enough for that, but he got fired - and maybe arrested! - for embezzlement. I wasn't there on the big day to see the police escort him from the building, unfortunately. Oh well, better luck next time v:v:v

Besides, I don't want to be responsible for dragging the thread into a shouting match about unions. One of the things I *do* understand about them is that discussions about them tend to really set people off. That's the sort of thing that needs its own thread.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Today was my 2nd day of working retail. I spent 3 and a half of the 4 hours just watching someone and helping bag. I got to watch an astounding melt down.

A woman was purchasing a toy and an accessory. Said the accessory was supposed to be free with the purchase. Someone did a price check, brought the sale sign back (the offer was for a cheaper model), and she asked if she could show him what she was looking at. Reasonable so far. They came back with her still insisting it should be free so a manager was called over.

:byodame: This is ridiculous! I don't understand this. They're the same thing.

I got sent to get another accessory while waiting for the manager. After returning, she also took the manager over to the section to where she supposedly saw this sign. Seeing as how this sale didn't exist for the more expensive item, she only bought the toy.

:byodame: This is ridiculous! This is why I won't be shopping here for Christmas. You know what? Take my donation off. I'm never shopping here again.

That's right. She took a $2 donation back from needy children and an organization that has nothing to do with the store all because she couldn't read a sign properly. I'd like to think there's a special level of hell for that sort of move.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
If there is any justice or reason in the world, people who don't fully read sale signs have their own circle of hell. I don't know how many times I've had to deal with people who cause a big stink because they outright refuse to read a sign beyond the big ol' numbers.

I too work for an arts and crafts store chain that I was recently contractually obligated not to mention whose name could also be a person's name that isn't "Joanne." Among other things (which is more like everything else) I set the ad on Sunday mornings with another woman who's been with the store for many years. I've been at this location for over a year, and with the company off and on since 2007. We both know what we're doing and know how to place signs so that they'll minimize confusion, but it's hard sometimes because certain brands will be on sale or an item that only has one facing on the entire shelf will be surrounded by a bunch of non-sale items. They all have to have the same bright orange, seven inch signs. The layout of these signs has the sale on top in huge letters (which can be a flat price, "X for $Y," or the dreaded BOGO), the regular price of the item or price range of items, and a description of what it is exactly that's on sale and any exclusions that might exist, such as "All glitter; excludes Martha Stewart Crafts." Rarely are the signs ever vague enough to cause anyone actual trouble, but there have been a few that just confused my partner and I.

If idiots would just stop and actually read the signs, they wouldn't have half the trouble in a day at the front end. Most recently a woman just couldn't grasp that not all the craft paint was on sale. The sign has the specific brand listed, the signs are only on the sections with that specific brand, that brand is the only paint that normally sells for the price listed in "Regular price," and when I explained to her that she just kept failing to understand. We wound up going through every brand of paint with me having to tell her that no, it wasn't on sale because it's not the one over there, at the end of the aisle!

What's more irritating is when people see a sign at the front of an aisle and don't bother reading it, but assume everything on the entire aisle is on sale. This mostly happens in the jewelery making department, but it's still baffling. As if we would just put one teeny-tiny sign to mark an entire aisle of wildly different items on sale!

Only mildly annoying is when we have a BOGO on an item. Our system doesn't mark off on items like that until the end when the order is totaled out, but everything else it does including X for $Y. People always stop the cashier (sometimes me) with such great urgency when they see on the screen that their crayons mock them with the dreaded full price! I can't help but sympathize with this one though because as a customer, if you don't see anything designating a sale in the computer you want to just stop everything so the price can get checked and minimize the delay. It's just kind of annoying to have it happen so often.

Funny how I'm ranting about this when I have to go do it in about an hour...

I have more stories, including some dreaded Coupon Ladies, but I'll save those for another time. Until then, have a crazy druggie/compulsive shopper:

It was around 20:55 one night, five minutes to closing, when a woman came in to do a little last-minute shopping for some sash she was making. Since we are completely unallowed to kick any peaceful customer out, we just have to let her shop. We do as much of our closing duties as normal, but until she is gone from the store we can't close the register or count it down. She refuses any help given to her and continues to wander the aisles, mostly in the apparel crafts section. Finally, at 21:30 she comes up and I happen to have been stuck on the register. Her cart is to the brim with stuff. Small stuff. The kind of quarter centimeter-thick packages that iron-ons come in. It looks like she just stuck and arm out and ran down the aisle, knocking everything into her cart. We can't do quantity scans because I don't have the authority to do that and her crap was so jumbled-up there was no way of knowing how much she had anyway. I start ringing her up as I hear a part of me die inside. After about 20 minutes of scanning things and her half-heartedly apologizing, I see an error I've never seen before: "Transaction Limit Exceeded." My manager on duty has no idea what this means. It won't let me scan anything else, so I just tell her we'll have to do it in two transactions. We get everything done and it's about 9:50, she just bought what came out to about $1,200 in iron-on letters, rhinestones, fabric paint, etc. The transaction limit error I later found out was because there can only be so many items scanned at once, about 200 or so.

$1,200, about 300 items.

In one night.

Half an hour after we close.

To make one sash.

She returned half of it during my next shift.
:smithicide:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

kdc67 posted:

That's right. She took a $2 donation back from needy children and an organization that has nothing to do with the store all because she couldn't read a sign properly. I'd like to think there's a special level of hell for that sort of move.

Yeah, someone did this while I did support for government software. See, in Texas, you can put a checkmark in a box to donate a dollar to a school for the blind when you renew your driver's license. You have to go out of your way and CHECK THE BOX YOURSELF to do this.

One guy apparently ... did this and then changed his mind. He calls us going 'hey, I want my dollar back'. I felt a little ill that someone waits for his charges to go through then thinks, hm, you know what, gently caress blind people. They can't even SEE the money. Over one dollar. Customers and callers are some of the pettiest people on earth I guess.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, someone did this while I did support for government software. See, in Texas, you can put a checkmark in a box to donate a dollar to a school for the blind when you renew your driver's license. You have to go out of your way and CHECK THE BOX YOURSELF to do this.

One guy apparently ... did this and then changed his mind. He calls us going 'hey, I want my dollar back'. I felt a little ill that someone waits for his charges to go through then thinks, hm, you know what, gently caress blind people. They can't even SEE the money. Over one dollar. Customers and callers are some of the pettiest people on earth I guess.

Makes you wish you could at least shame the person and make them feel like the horrible person they are.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

manguero posted:

Makes you wish you could at least shame the person and make them feel like the horrible person they are.

Pretty much. Or the lady who saw the organ donor box and TOLD me 'hur hur, what do they need my organs for? they're gonna DIE ANYWAY'. I half wanted to tell her sure, go tell some dying child/person's family that. Go tell the dying person that, you royal bitch.

But we can't. We can't even have a 'negative or frustrated tone in our voice' or 'make the customer feel defensive'. Meaning I can't even call someone on an outright lie. I just have to go 'Are you Suuuuuuuure?' repeatedly.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

manguero posted:

To be fair, somebody tried pulling this on me once and I felt indignant. I'd told some sort of environment protection group at a bus terminal that I would give them $2 after getting a bus ticket home as I only had a $5 bill on me. Instead of them saying 'hey I'll just swap you that fiver', they instead accused me of being a cheap bastard.

I ended up walking away from them and making a donation to their cause over the internet

Actually, that's a good reason to hate retail - lovely donation panhandlers outside the shops. Sometimes they're really good, like when my former workplace sold cakes and biscuits for a hospital, but last year around Christmas time some kid showed up at the shop I worked at, and started busking for money. He wasn't even any good and we all very quickly developed an intense loathing for the French Horn and every Christmas carol written for that instrument because he was there the entire day and we could hear him.

I wish they'd just called the police on that kid - parents should be giving him pocket money, not the general public and there's an excellent reason why people need a busking licence.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 8, 2010

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
So earlier today, my manager was giving me strong hints to get someone to open a Macy's account (it's not like I haven't been trying, it's just that people usually already have one or are really not interested). She had me talk to a co-worker who had just opened an account for someone. Co-worker was like, "I just asked, and they wanted one."

An hour later, I was standing around waiting to help people when someone came up to me out of the blue to open an account. Take that, manager. :colbert:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I'm being moved off of grave yard at the gas station I work at, which is awesome rite? Except that I going from ruffly 30 hours a week to 18, I asked that I please not be put on Friday swing shift because that's the night I play D&D or whatever pen and paper RPG has our interest at the moment and is the only time I get to see my friends, before this our game ended eleven at night so I had plenty of time to get to work. Now I have a choice between a social life and one extra shift that I really need. So I am going to man up and ask to work Friday. :(

What really gets to me is that they never even asked if I wanted off grave yard or not they're just changing my schedule, for some unknown reason and even working Fridays I am going to be working six hours less than I was. What really pissed me off was when my supervisor told me about this, I asked for a reason he just said "I thought you would be glad to get off of grave yard" which, I would be, if, I was able to keep the same total hours and still see my friends. I kind of suspect something fishy going though.

One of the things that gets to me about retail is how bloody inconsistent things are, its nearly impossible to make even the most meager living doing when your hours can change so much. How I wish to have been born in France instead.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 8, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
email from corporate: hay guyz we have a facebook page now please Like it and btw here are some guidelines.

pretty much everyone: uh yeah we don't give a poo poo

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

devmd01 posted:

email from corporate: hay guyz we have a facebook page now please Like it and btw here are some guidelines.

pretty much everyone: uh yeah we don't give a poo poo

Does corporate ever have any idea of what makes people tick?

I've stopped going to Kohl's Department Store and Toys'R'Us simply because the cashiers -- egged on by corporate -- ask a marathon of questions. Hell, I've said no the the charity donation simply because the retail establishment has ticked me off. (I still give the money to charity, but I refuse to support the retailer's numbers.)

I should probably send letters to the corporate offices but they probably have a form letter for people like me.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Missing Donut posted:

Does corporate ever have any idea of what makes people tick?

I've stopped going to Kohl's Department Store and Toys'R'Us simply because the cashiers -- egged on by corporate -- ask a marathon of questions. Hell, I've said no the the charity donation simply because the retail establishment has ticked me off. (I still give the money to charity, but I refuse to support the retailer's numbers.)

I should probably send letters to the corporate offices but they probably have a form letter for people like me.

Please for the love of god do this. At my last job it got so ridiculous that right before I left they announced that we would now be required to sell magazine subscriptions at the wrap desk. It's like they were taking the worst possible leaf from Gamestop's business notes.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Seconded that you should totally do that. If I asked every single question that I was supposed to (and would get in trouble for not asking, if Management found out), each one of my transactions would easily take three times as long as it does. It's ridiculous.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Seconded that you should totally do that. If I asked every single question that I was supposed to (and would get in trouble for not asking, if Management found out), each one of my transactions would easily take three times as long as it does. It's ridiculous.

And thirding. If I did exactly everything corporate has been pushing and mentioned everything every transaction, they'd all take forever, nothing in the store would get done, and we'd have a bunch of pissed off customers. I told my boss that if the store ran the way it does now when I was a customer, I would have never shopped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Duck_King posted:

I told my boss that if the store ran the way it does now when I was a customer, I would have never shopped there.

I really have started wonder what kind of research goes in to making in-store policy and procedure at corporate offices. I feel like someone from Mars comes up with this stuff. And as Duck King points out they make transactions tedious and in some cases down rite hostile for the customers and clerks alike. But of course if a customers gets mad it will be clerks fault.

To continue with the theme of what the gently caress is corporate thinking, I would like to know who writes the scripts for employee training movies. I am amazed that every one I've watched has a scene where the actor play the store manger eventually gives a speech that goes "our job is to make sure that every customer has a great time in our store and its the extra effort put forth to give the customer a great experience which gives us the edge over our comparators and insures repeat business." Because god knows the clerks smiling at you is going to be more important than the selection, prices and location of a given store.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 9, 2010