Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
I can't wait to deal with the infestation of retards who come in on Friday.

:haw: "You guys having a BF sale? hahahahah!"
:) "No, no one in this area is."
:haw: "Man, ya'll are whack!"

That being said, gently caress parents (usually the mothers) who come in and leave their kids unattended. What makes it worse is that these ladies will shout their kids name every now and then just to "make sure" they didn't run off. The kid obviously never responds, so why the hell do you keep calling their names?

teknetik fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My store has three different sales this week; Normal, week-long sale, 5-10 Wednesday night sale, and weekend sale. Our flyers specifically said the dates for EACH SALE.

How many people got mad at me because I told them the sale started later tonight/Friday? A WHOLE loving LOT.

"If the sale doesn't start until 5pm, what did I come down here for!?" I don't know, you rear end in a top hat! You're the one who can't read, it's not my problem!

Jerks. :mad:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There are merely three things that you need to survive retail:

1. Patience
2. Common sense
3. A fuckton of Weed.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Got into work this morning and got sent home because my department was closed because of the snowstorm :)

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
Register #1 (of 2) went down today. Register 2 feeds off of the database in 1. We're closed tomorrow. Friday is going to be awesome.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm 3-ish months into my new retail *cough* career *cough*. When I get a complaint, I pass it along to management (that often brushes it off since it's a lame complaint). I also often suggest the customer fills out a feedback form to corporate. Do you veterans think that will backfire on me? I honestly just want my customers to be heard.

And to contribute to the thread's theme...

I've recently learned how to do returns/refunds/exchanges. Today a well-kept homeless person came in with a product we haven't sold for almost 2 years, although it was clearly new in box/clamshell. I could only offer him 2.99 in store credit, since it was obsolete and he had no receipt, and that was the cheapest we ever sold it for. I know he was trying to get money for something he didn't buy, but it was a perfectly good product, and I felt really bad for him. He ended up keeping the item, and asked if he could buy more, but we hadn't had any since April of last year.

This job hasn't broken my soul yet, but I fear it might. The good part is, is that I really love 95% of the people I work with, and 95% of my customers. I'm somewhat ashamed to say it, but I was born for retail (even though I have multiple college degrees, none business/retail related). If only it would pay more, it would be great.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
:corsair: Ay you gots wonna dem walrus ipawds speakurs?
:) Excuse me?
:corsair: yew no, walrus speakurs fer thuh ipawd!
:)...
:corsair: WALRUS. SPEAKURS.
:) Sir, uh, I don't think we have any walrus speakers...
:corsair: NOT WALRUS, WALRUS!!!
:) ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! wireless! nope!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

If only it would pay more, it would be great.

And this is why it loving sucks.

We get paid absolute poo poo to deal with the worst of people. Stores like mine will pay you as little as possible, and claim that you can get a higher wage by selling other things to the customers, like memberships or credit cards. But what if you do something that you can't add on to?

I just got transferred to the gift registry department of my store from a year and a half on a register and my god I am starting to hate everything in the world. I got a 5% raise for a quadrupling of my work. I'm supposed to cover administrative things as well as sell on the floor, and now I have almost no opportunity to make this extra money. I'm trying to clean up my department and do my job but I'm always being pulled away to do something else, so I fall behind.

I need to get out. I really, really need to get out.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Meow Cadet posted:

This job hasn't broken my soul yet, but I fear it might. The good part is, is that I really love 95% of the people I work with, and 95% of my customers. I'm somewhat ashamed to say it, but I was born for retail (even though I have multiple college degrees, none business/retail related). If only it would pay more, it would be great.

Its the 5% that will make you hate it. It is honestly a soul crushing, repetitive, underpaid, overworked job that will leave you broken and bitter, but better off in the end. Nothing will do so faster than working in a toy store/department and watching as your well maintained section is leveled in about 5 seconds by some lovely parent and bratty kid. Or when you are lied to/managers lied to by customers who aren't getting what they want. "BUT I'M THE CUSTOMER I'M RIGHT", they decree, attempting to manipulate you with their tantrum. gently caress off, you aren't right and you've just proven to me that you can't loving read. Thanks for telling two different sob stories in an attempt to get me fired you disingenuous rear end in a top hat. Or throwing a fit after a curse word slips out after your poo poo rear end kid rams into my Achilles tendon with a cart they can't loving see over.

Can you tell I had a bad night?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

hawk989s posted:

Register #1 (of 2) went down today. Register 2 feeds off of the database in 1. We're closed tomorrow. Friday is going to be awesome.

Oh man, I just woke up my dog, laughing so hard. You guys are so hosed, and I kind of wish I could see the fallout. Haha, I'm a terrible person.

I think I'm just in a good mood because I learned a few days ago that because of a gently caress up in the computer system (I'm being accused of taking too many sick days, but I can't prove I was there because the days they say I took off were days I wasn't scheduled to work in the first place), I can't transfer to another store until next December. Which wouldn't matter, except I'm moving 1200 miles away this March, and that's a bit of a drive. So, since I have to quit anyway, it's only a matter of time at this point. Which means anytime I get fed up with the bullshit, I can just tell management to gently caress off, and leave.

It's really a liberating feeling.

Meow Cadet posted:

I also often suggest the customer fills out a feedback form to corporate. Do you veterans think that will backfire on me? I honestly just want my customers to be heard.

They'll just ignore it too. Unless a customer is super-bitching about something, no one above grunt level cares.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

waar posted:

Are customers really expected to neatly pack the clothing they tried on back on the shelf? I don't even know the proper way to fold clothes in a presentable manner.

No, they aren't. Its usually not even clothes they try on. They usually leave those in the fitting room, which is fine. But when they pull out 2 to 3 different sizes of the 3 different colors of the same pattern, to see how they look, not even try on, and shove each one back in a ball, or wherever they fit, it becomes annoying, quick. I actually appreciate it more if you just hand it to me, and say " I don't want these, sorry", then to find it later on when tidying up the place. I can fold them up really quick,adn get them back out. It looks bad to other customers if I don't catch it, and makes my life harder. It also atleast shows that you consider me some what human, and not some piece of trash there to satisfy your every shopping need. I have had people look at me, and tell me they want that color there, in that size, and point at it in the stack, 6 inches from their finger. And keep pointing till I pull it out for them. They then do this for 2 or 3 more items. Pull the loving thing out yourself. I am not your personal shopping assistant.

I had a guy the other day who got mad at me, and badgered me and my ex-coworker for 5 minutes, because I wouldn't give him 30% off on the coat he admitted he didn't even want. He even told me he would buy it at the discount, then return it for a full refund in a few weeks, when we get more coats in. I told him no, I will not do that. He got so mad he walked out, told me that I was lucky to have that many customers, and said he would go to Men's Warehouse, where they press his suits, while he waits. Entitled people piss me off so bad. Its worse since our only competition in the area went out of business. I can't wait to graduate college.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
This is sort of retail-ish.

We had a customer come in to pick up her computer from repair yesterday. She refused to pay. Why? Because she thought "someone else" should take care of it for her. I asked who would be paying then, and she said she didn't care, and that I should pick.

So, I was supposed to hand her the fixed computer for free, and tell some other random person "hey, you owe us $180 because we fixed some dumb whore's computer." And she was loving serious; she left the computer there and said she'd be back Friday. I was too stunned to respond.

Where the gently caress does she go that a plan like the would even come close to working?

And the joke's on her, because we're closed until Monday.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

We had a customer come in to pick up her computer from repair yesterday. She refused to pay. Why? Because she thought "someone else" should take care of it for her. I asked who would be paying then, and she said she didn't care, and that I should pick.

So, I was supposed to hand her the fixed computer for free, and tell some other random person "hey, you owe us $180 because we fixed some dumb whore's computer." And she was loving serious; she left the computer there and said she'd be back Friday. I was too stunned to respond.

Where the gently caress does she go that a plan like the would even come close to working?

This has to be made up. I don't give care :colbert:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sonic Dude posted:

Wow, that's... amazing. From a 'dear god people are this dumb?!' perspective.

The electronics store I worked at had a sign at the front desk saying:
GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP
CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD
WE DO NOT PRICEMATCH WITH LOCAL BUSINESSES
($70 and having to visit us once is better than a $30 callout charge every time something goes wrong with your computer.)

I live in a state in Australia where it's only recently come into code that shops outside of 'tourism precincts' can be open until 9pm on weeknights. Former coworkers are telling me it's wonderful - the numbers of people showing up evens out over the week so it's better for customers and staff. Rock on, retail lads and ladies, may the :btrolls: not rock up to your registers.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 25, 2010

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

I'd say, well, if someone else can take care of the cost, I guess someone else can take care of picking it up too. :D

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

This used to happen all the drat time to me. Clients are quoted up front how much the repair will cost, they'd show up, not want to pay, and just leave it there. They would abandon their computer and not pay. Now we don't do any work without payment up front. gently caress stupid people.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I had my first somewhat yucky experience last night!!!

A homeless dude tried to return a smoke detector to me, without a receipt. The best I could do was give him store credit for the cheapest price we had ever sold it for, which was 2.99. At that point, he wanted to buy more of them since they were so cheap! (we hadn't sold one since April 2009, it was discontinued/obsolete)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

froglet posted:

The electronics store I worked at had a sign at the front desk saying:
GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP
CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD
WE DO NOT PRICEMATCH WITH LOCAL BUSINESSES

My favorite front desk sign was at the photo developing counter in a fairly high end camera shop.

WE PROUDLY PROVIDE GOOD, FAST, CHEAP SERVICE (CHOOSE ANY 2 OUT OF 3)

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

This is why i steer clear of residential end user support though on occasion I do support for friends of family, often getting goaded into it. You can never make it profitable, user expectations are so high because they don't know how stuff works. You get an OS reload due to drive failure or viruses, the bill comes out to half the price of the computer new and people just don't understand that. Contrast that to a corporate environment where I work now; yes you are at the bottom of the food chain but at least they let you make a living off of it.

One time I had a user, senior citizen, want me to make a toolbar on the Windows desktop that is found in Explorer or a program but serves no function on the Windows desktop. She literally thought I was too dumb to be able to do it, she couldn't accept the fact that it was a waste of time attempting to do it. I then asked her show me an example of where you saw it, she proceeded to state "I'M NOT CRAZY". The plus side is she actually paid me for the time spend and am glad I won't be having her as a future customer.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I met a 'banned' customer the other day.

Paul has been banned from our store a number of times, but after a few months I guess we forget about it and let him back in. Paul is an older, lonely man. He comes in just to ask questions, and to tell very dirty jokes to the ladies. He never buys anything. He often stays for the better part of an hour, just wasting the time of our associates with jibber-jabber until we tell him it's time to go.

I've only had to deal with him twice and I was able to brush him off each time, but if he comes in more often while I'm working, I can see how it might break me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I met a 'banned' customer the other day.

Paul has been banned from our store a number of times, but after a few months I guess we forget about it and let him back in. Paul is an older, lonely man. He comes in just to ask questions, and to tell very dirty jokes to the ladies. He never buys anything. He often stays for the better part of an hour, just wasting the time of our associates with jibber-jabber until we tell him it's time to go.

I've only had to deal with him twice and I was able to brush him off each time, but if he comes in more often while I'm working, I can see how it might break me.

We had a guy like that. A few of them actually. It was okay since we were sort of a mom and pop operation so we had a social function in the town.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

froglet posted:

I live in a state in Australia where it's only recently come into code that shops outside of 'tourism precincts' can be open until 9pm on weeknights. Former coworkers are telling me it's wonderful - the numbers of people showing up evens out over the week so it's better for customers and staff. Rock on, retail lads and ladies, may the :btrolls: not rock up to your registers.

Maybe its just me, but are you saying that it was law that you had a set closing time? that is pretty messed up in my opinion.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Flyboy925 posted:

Maybe its just me, but are you saying that it was law that you had a set closing time? that is pretty messed up in my opinion.

I must admit, the law is pretty retro.
The rules broke down as such:
- Supermarkets/retail stores were to be closed by 6pm and are only to be open Monday to Saturday (unless in a 'tourism precinct')
- Local grocery cooperatives were allowed to remain open until 10pm (and are normally open 7am - 9pm)
- No Sunday trading except for 'tourism precincts' and certain times of the year, or if the shop wants to pay its employees time and a half.

This is just what I gathered from observation/working at supermarkets. The only places open 24/7 are McDonalds and a handful of small businesses with a licence to trade any time they like.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the law is 'messed up'. I get the impression the law was made because lawmakers thought it would be detrimental to society to have a subset of people working all day every day without a break, but it does need changing.
(I also think if this new law was introduced while I was in highschool, my employer would have been making me work 5pm-9pm every school night, then fired me when I objected that I'd never get any schoolwork done during the week)

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2010

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
All I heard for 6 hours yesterday:
"So is there some kind of sale coming soon? Where are the ads??"
"So is this laptop going to be on sale? Why would I buy it today if it's gonna be on sale Friday?!"
"Will there be a line? How many $150 netbooks do you have in stock? I'll just come back Friday."

Only one customer actually bought a computer.

When I started my shift at 5pm Wednesday there was already a lady camping out next to the entrance with a platter of Burger King ._. She's there 36 hours early.

Gonna be fun corralling people in the printer maze line.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

froglet posted:

(I also think if this new law was introduced while I was in highschool, my employer would have been making me work 5pm-9pm every school night, then fired me when I objected that I'd never get any schoolwork done during the week)
This is a fact of working and going to school. If you want/have to do both, be thankful that they aren't trying to schedule you during times you're not supposed to be in school. 5-9 isn't terrible at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RottenWomb posted:

That seems about right as I'm from upstate New York.

Nail, head, etc

I'm in Syracuse and Utica (live in one, school in the other), and it's just lovely. I had way better luck the year I was in NC, when most people didn't pass the required background and/or credit checks because I was in a redneck scumfuck town. Lucky me, I got to work at the "casino" :smithicide:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The General posted:

This is a fact of working and going to school. If you want/have to do both, be thankful that they aren't trying to schedule you during times you're not supposed to be in school. 5-9 isn't terrible at all.

What I was trying to say was that the place I worked at in highschool had chronic staffing problems. If they had tried to get me to cover even half those shifts, I would have needed to tell them that I couldn't because of my schools 3 hours a night homework requirement. Even if I wasn't in school, the boss was constantly making me choose between my studies and work.

Thinking about it now, I really wish I had more of a spine back then and had some idea of what my rights were, because asking a 16 year old to work 20 hours a week on top of full time highschool was a bit rough at times.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Whelp, good luck to you guys tommorrow. :patriot:

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Apocalypse Please posted:

All I heard for 6 hours yesterday:
"So is there some kind of sale coming soon? Where are the ads??"
"So is this laptop going to be on sale? Why would I buy it today if it's gonna be on sale Friday?!"
"Will there be a line? How many $150 netbooks do you have in stock? I'll just come back Friday."

Only one customer actually bought a computer.

When I started my shift at 5pm Wednesday there was already a lady camping out next to the entrance with a platter of Burger King ._. She's there 36 hours early.

Gonna be fun corralling people in the printer maze line.

:hfive: fellow Yellow/Blue bleeding worker...

Today's the day of my glorious 8-7 shift. As I am a repair tech, I will be given the awesome duty of working the register for the entirety of the shift :smithicide:

Good luck to all of my fellow retail goons, we go into battle today, but we shall emerge victorious!

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

TheBandOffice posted:

:hfive: fellow Yellow/Blue bleeding worker...

Today's the day of my glorious 8-7 shift. As I am a repair tech, I will be given the awesome duty of working the register for the entirety of the shift :smithicide:

Good luck to all of my fellow retail goons, we go into battle today, but we shall emerge victorious!

I get 2-midnight shift, so all afternoon/evening I will be saying "no, sorry, we sold out of that 8 hours ago" and then clean up the unavoidable hellhole that will become the computer department. At least that means I can sleep in and order stuff on newegg!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

froglet posted:

I must admit, the law is pretty retro.
The rules broke down as such:
- Supermarkets/retail stores were to be closed by 6pm and are only to be open Monday to Saturday (unless in a 'tourism precinct')
- Local grocery cooperatives were allowed to remain open until 10pm (and are normally open 7am - 9pm)
- No Sunday trading except for 'tourism precincts' and certain times of the year, or if the shop wants to pay its employees time and a half.

This is just what I gathered from observation/working at supermarkets. The only places open 24/7 are McDonalds and a handful of small businesses with a licence to trade any time they like.

Western Australia?

Got a call today from a recruitment lady at the company that owns my shop. She's seen my resume on a jobhunting website and wanted to know if I'd prefer to work at the Mac-focused shop in town instead of the lovely place I work at now that's a while out of my way. Said yes, ball is now rolling and I'm interviewing for it on Monday. :toot:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

BeardedFerret posted:

Western Australia?

Got a call today from a recruitment lady at the company that owns my shop. She's seen my resume on a jobhunting website and wanted to know if I'd prefer to work at the Mac-focused shop in town instead of the lovely place I work at now that's a while out of my way. Said yes, ball is now rolling and I'm interviewing for it on Monday. :toot:

:):hf::toot:

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Godspeed, fellow retail workers. May your customer-herds be placid this day.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Good luck bros.

I work 5am-9PM.

Today will be hell.

(no, I didn't save you a 200 dollar cell phone because you called two days ago.)

Yes, that's a 16 hour loving retail shift.

invision fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 26, 2010

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Last year someone recommended listening to this speech prior to Black Friday for every retail worker, and I stand by that. Just substitute St. Crispin with Black Friday, and there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
3:30am-12Pm today, 7:30am-4:00pm tomorrow, 7:30am-2pm sunday, school on monday, 7:30am-4Pm on tuesday, school on wednesday, 3:00pm-10pm on thursday, somehting on friday, something on saturday, something on sunda.......

:suicide:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Oh god I just realized that I'm really working a 16 hour shift :suicide:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
It's really telling that I've never experienced Black Friday ever, like even as a customer. I'm really excited to work. :ohdear:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Megera posted:

It's really telling that I've never experienced Black Friday ever, like even as a customer. I'm really excited to work. :ohdear:

Well, where I work, we'll have every single register open (all 19 of them), some sales people will be bagging for the cashiers, and there'll still be at least four to five people in line at every single register. And the customers will still complain that the lines are too long.

I love it though. I love the chaos and the energy and the "GO GO GO" atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Walked into a department store today. It's November the loving 9th, and one of the fifteen billion swing-band renditions of Winter Wonderland was playing over the PA.

You retail guys have nothing but my deepest sympathy.

This was the worst part of retail

Motherfucking Winter Wonderland, Frosty, and Rudolph for two months. Just those three songs, and Jingle Bells. I legitimately hate Christmas after that.

On the flip side, every so often somebody hijacked the music that played in our Rite Aid and we'd get something awesome, like the Ramones' Merry Christmas, which kinda made the shift