Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I played through Planescape without a guide for the first time just a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem, I think it's a lot better to enjoy playing it yourself and just exploring and getting familiar with the game world that way. It's a wonderful gaming experience. As long as you take it slow and try talking to everything/doing everything before moving on you're not going to miss much.

It is super important to have high Cha/Int/Wis to get the best experience though. The quest to become a mage is worth doing early, that's about the only thing I'd look up (you can do it pretty much immediately once you leave the first area, but you kind of need to know where to look for it). Of course if you're just cheating to get max stats then it's less important since you could just stay as a fighter who happens to have super high Cha/Int/Wis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When do you get Ignis or Fall-From Grace in Planescape? I only ever got Dakkon, Anyah, and Morte as my partners, and I made it to the uh, big market after Morte gets skull-napped by the skull collector

Did I just miss them or something?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, I just picked up F Zero GX the other day. Any suggestions for overcoming its legendary frustration causing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

When do you get Ignis or Fall-From Grace in Planescape? I only ever got Dakkon, Anyah, and Morte as my partners, and I made it to the uh, big market after Morte gets skull-napped by the skull collector

Ignis requires the item that pours out infinite water, don't remember where its gotten. Fall-From Grace is at the brothel and requires a lot of wisdom/charisma to get into the party. She is the only healer, so I can't imagine playing without her.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, I just picked up F Zero GX the other day. Any suggestions for overcoming its legendary frustration causing?

Don't play story mode. Grand Prix, single races, and multiplayer are all fine.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

RagnarokAngel posted:

Layton is as straight forward as it gets, just solve puzzles.

Figured as much, just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
On the whole high Wis/Int/Cha thing, first time I played PS:T I had no idea that it was important dialogue-wise to have high scores in those stats and played a fighter with relatively low scores in all those stats, yet still managed to do most of the things you want to do in PS:T including recruiting Fall From Grace. The dialogue options themselves were relatively boring but I was still able to achieve most things.

You unquestionably get the best experience with high scores in those stats though. I should play PS:T again some time.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
How do factions work in STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl? If I do a mission for one, piss off another, is it permanent? Does it really matter? I'm playing with the Stalker Complete 2009 mod if it makes a difference.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Make sure to calibrate your stick in the options menu!

Lord Nelson
Jan 11, 2006
I just started playing Assassin's Creed II, read over the advice here, but I am wondering-

Are there any side missions or events that are one time only?

Will I lock myself out of certain events by doing memories only?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lord Nelson posted:

I just started playing Assassin's Creed II, read over the advice here, but I am wondering-

From what I remember, nothing is really missable but some things (like Assassin Tombs) can only be visited/done once so enjoy them while they last. I don't think you can replay story memories either. On the subject of one-time events though, be on your guard when you first get to Venice for an important QTE involving hugs. You WILL regret it if you miss it.

VV EDIT: What he said.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 1, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lord Nelson posted:

No side missions can be saved till the end. Most activity missions (Thief chase etc.) are unneccesary at all outside of doing them once for an achievement. Otherwise they just give money which you will learn quickly is not an issue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

The decanter of endless water is found in the flooded crypt area. Fall-From-Grace involves a long rear end series of quests in a brothel which you'll come across after rescuing Morte from the immortal demi-god wizard.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

al-azad posted:

The decanter of endless water is found in the flooded crypt area.

And Nemelle in the Clerk's Ward has the keyword.

Other general PS:T tips:
  • Keep the Bronze Sphere when you find it. Hang on to it until the end of the game.
  • Keep a hammer and prybar with you at all times.
  • Keep a single piece of junk with you. Once you figure out what it's for, you should be able to figure out when it's safe to throw it away.
  • Keep the Decanter of Endless Water, and be sure to get the keyword.
  • Make sure you retrieve both your abilities (Raise Dead and Stories-Bones-Tell), by speaking to Deionarra in the Mortuary and Stale Mary in the Dead Nation, respectively.
  • Morte's teeth can be upgraded, or swapped out for different sets of teeth. You just need to find the right people who have teeth to give away.
  • In Sigil, you may be approached by a man called Mar who wants you to deliver a box for him. Do it without opening the box. Then, much later in the game when you return to Curst, explore the whole map before gating to Carceri. There will be a large, high-level demon called Mar's Fiend or something and if you manage to kill it (it's a very difficult fight) it will drop some of the best items in the game. The demon will only be present in that map, however, if you delivered the box to Mar without opening it.
  • Keep Soego's head. You'll be able to trade it for something valuable.
  • The bartender at the Smoldering Corpse has something that belongs to you.
  • When you're in the sewers/catacombs below The Hive in Sigil, explore all the small rooms and crypts thoroughly. In one of them, you'll find a severed arm. It's hard to explain why this is so important without spoilers, but it really is. Be sure to take the arm to Fell (the tattooist), and when you do be sure to get Dak'kon to translate (even if you're capable of translating yourself).
  • Check out ALL the globes in the Sensorium. Most are just flavour text, but some are integral to the story.
  • This is a Black Isle game so most of your companions (Dak'kon, Morte, Nordrom, Vhailor) can get their stats upgraded through conversation. It pays to talk to them a lot, and to save before you do.
  • Be sure to unlock ALL the Circles of Zerthimon if Dak'kon is traveling with you. And as a word of advice, there are most likely more than there appear to be.
  • Finally, speak to everyone with a name. PST is a game of conversation and dialogue, not combat. Many people in Sigil will have information about your previous incarnations, whether they realize it or not, and the only way you can access that information is through dialogue, more often than not. Especially once you hit the Foundry and Clerk wards. You won't spend the whole game in Sigil, so make sure you finish everything you possibly can before leaving. Not only will you get more experience and items, but the more you know about YOURSELF the more dialogue options you have for the rest of the game.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 1, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ahem, Black Isle game but I digress. Be sure to keep your intestines if you find them as well. Aside from that massive list, my only piece of advice is that there's a central character you meet midway through the game. Be nice to her. You'll know what I'm talking about instantly when you get there.

Seriously, be super loving nice to her for both A) a really creepy and disturbingly sweet conversation, B) bonus points to wisdom, and C) gently caress ton of experience points.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, if you have the stats for it then flatter the poo poo out of her. It may seem weird (as she'll quickly be revealed to be an insane sociopath), but you get great rewards from feigning adoration.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Astfgl posted:

Other general PS:T tips:

I am saving this in a text file on my desktop and keeping it there until the day I finally get round to playing PS:T again.

Y'know, after I've ran through the Thief series, and Dragon Age. And Phsyconauts.

Because if I'd started with it, I don't think I'd have gave up.

Also, can someone familiar with Planescape Torment confirm whether I've done these things in my latest playthrough. Its just I've done the first 4 hours of that game a handful of times so I'm not sure about the progression:

I stopped at a part where I had to mend a talking wall. Does this mean I've done the whole underground segment with the Many-As-One? I really can't be hosed going through with that section again but I don't remember if you do that before the wall mending quest.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 1, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

I am saving this in a text file on my desktop and keeping it there until the day I finally get round to playing PS:T again.

Y'know, after I've ran through the Thief series, and Dragon Age. And Phsyconauts.

Because if I'd started with it, I don't think I'd have gave up.

Also, can someone familiar with Planescape Torment confirm whether I've done these things in my latest playthrough. Its just I've done the first 4 hours of that game a handful of times so I'm not sure about the progression:

I stopped at a part where I had to mend a talking wall. Does this mean I've done the whole underground segment with the Many-As-One? I really can't be hosed going through with that section again but I don't remember if you do that before the wall mending quest.

The fact that you got that far means you obtained the bronze sphere. I don't think you have to actually encounter the wererats and cranial rats as a necessary means to progress so it's impossible for me to say whether or not you did.

EDIT: I think you're asking "Am I finished with the crypts?" to which I can say "At that point in the game, yes."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 1, 2010

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Barudak posted:

Ignis requires the item that pours out infinite water, don't remember where its gotten. Fall-From Grace is at the brothel and requires a lot of wisdom/charisma to get into the party. She is the only healer, so I can't imagine playing without her.
If I recall correctly, didn't the devs eventually come out and say something like "Just cheat so you can win at combat and you get every and all dialog options. The game is better that way"?

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Okonner posted:

Fallout 3
Skills to avoid Tagging
Energy Weapons - by the time you find good ones you'll be able to raise this skill plenty.

I avoided Energy Weapons my first playthrough, but now the Laser Rifle is becoming a fast favorite. It's plentiful and cheap. Doesn't do much damage, but it has a random chance of zapping any enemy into a pile of dust. Also, zero weapons spread. You can avoid tagging, but pump that poo poo up.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
It's pretty new but does anyone have anything on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? AC2 was pretty straightforward but I was wondering if you guys have any super cool tips.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rakanakle posted:

It's pretty new but does anyone have anything on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? AC2 was pretty straightforward but I was wondering if you guys have any super cool tips.

If you played 2 you really already know what you're doing, the upgrade system is back and it has all the same "problems", buy a few shops and use that money to buy more shops etc. and you'll have more money than you know what to do with. My only MAJOR tip is if you're a trophy/achievement whore, theres 2 achievements that can only be gotten in the present day, Dust to Dust and I forget the other. Get those as soon as you can because you can't play as Desmond once you beat the game.

Otherwise as Ezio the game is designed exactly like 2, you can't miss anything because side quests don't expire and you can return to earlier memories at any time.

Also get the crossbow asap. It's expensive but hella useful because it's like the gun but guards wont hear it, makes stealth a shitload easier and there's a few missions for 100% completion you need to not get seen.

Edit: Sorry I did forget one thing, don't sell trade items. The game is kind of obscure about this but they're not worth much money, after a certain point some shops have "quests" where they ask for trade items. You must turn in all their requested items AT THE SAME TIME so don't sell any!

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 1, 2010

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I'm starting up Persona on the PSP (yes the first one). This will be my first Tensai game, what should I know before I play? Can I just head into it blind or will I be completely lost?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spintzel posted:

I'm starting up Persona on the PSP (yes the first one). This will be my first Tensai game, what should I know before I play? Can I just head into it blind or will I be completely lost?

Do you understand the core Elements of a Tensei game. I.e. hitting weakness with magic is a must, MP is plentiful and spells are cheap, buffs are always good, and that you must capture and fuse monsters to get stronger or else you'll end up woefully behind?

Outside of that you'll probably want to pour over the map in Persona as dungeons get confusing real fast.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
The main thing is to treat the Persona you gain like Pokemon, rather than like Final Fantasy summons.

They're expendable and you're going to end up with a lot of them, so don't be afraid of getting rid of them if you don't like them, or fusing them together to create better Persona.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spintzel posted:

Well, I guess you should know is that Persona 1 isn't indicative of the overall quality of the series. It's one of the worst games in it, actually.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, I guess you should know is that Persona 1 isn't indicative of the overall quality of the series. It's one of the worst games in it, actually.

If you insist on Persona 1, by all means go for it, but I have to echo this. I'd highly recommend going for Persona 3 Portable or Persona 4 as your first if you can.

E: If not, here's a few tips.

- The more you use your personae, the higher your rank will be with them and you'll unlock more skills. This, combined with the fact that Personae have a per-use MP cost rather than one varying per spell means you can very easily get something with, say, Megido for >10MP and just murder everything in the first few dungeons (and then some, if you play your cards right).

- Experience is distributed based on how "helpful" each part member is in battle. If a character does nothing, they'll get very little experience, which can gently caress with your slower characters.

- Your level and persona level are considered separate, unlike the later games. While you could neglect using personae and level up fine, you won't be able to equip higher level personas.

- When you reach a certain point early in the game, you'll be asked about what you want to do. You want to respond "That's the plan," especially if this is your first SMT game. The other response puts you on the Snow Queen Quest, something that was cut from the original localization for unknown reasons, and is much, much harder than the main storyline.

- When you level up, you'll be fully healed, including your MP. Take advantage of this, because healing can get very expensive.

- Echoing what others have said, don't treat your personae like they're impossible to get back or anything. You generally want to max out your current persona, and then start looking into what you can fuse them into to keep the power flowing.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 2, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
About to set up Baldur's Gate One, what mods do I need? I'm getting it from GOG if that matters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

crime fighting hog posted:

About to set up Baldur's Gate One, what mods do I need? I'm getting it from GOG if that matters.

Do you have BG2? If so I highly recommend using Tutu to use the BG2 engine/classes/etc.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OilSlick posted:

How do factions work in STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl? If I do a mission for one, piss off another, is it permanent? Does it really matter? I'm playing with the Stalker Complete 2009 mod if it makes a difference.

As long as you don't kill any faction members, you can do whatever missions for whatever factions you want. If you kill faction members, they get pissed. Sometimes you can get away with killing one or two out in the middle of nowhere with no one to see, but you won't be able to do Skull's mission or anything like that and get away with it. Highly recommended that you don't piss off Duty your first time through, it makes visiting the Bar much more complicated.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Do you have BG2? If so I highly recommend using Tutu to use the BG2 engine/classes/etc.

I didn't get BG2 because I never finished 1. If I get 2 I can pretty much get a mod that ports it over to 1?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Other way around, you get a mod that ports BG1 to the BG2 engine. This combines the two campaigns into one huge seamless campaign, and lets you play through BG1 content using BG2 features (and character classes, if you feel like breaking the game over your knee).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

The BG 2 interface is way better, definitely do the tutu thing.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Gaggins posted:

The BG 2 interface is way better, definitely do the tutu thing.

I'll snag my buddy's copy of BG2 this weekend, thanks guys!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone got anything on Two Worlds 2? (the title makes me think of the SA member everytime I read it :()

It's kicking my rear end. I just reached the savannah, and most fights seem to be very "either I get hosed in 2 seconds or I dodge and gently caress someone else in 2 seconds". Is the combat clumsy or am I just not getting it?
Is archery useless?

Any other general tips?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nate RFB posted:

I fully intend to cheat now that I know it is possible. I would have done the same with Fallout 1/2 but couldn't figure it out. I have very little patience for the slow, clunky gameplay of old WRPGs.

Does that mean Windows RPG or Western RPG? And is the gameplay really any slower or clunkier than any game made before all RPGs were action games in disguise? I really am not trying to start an argument, I promise. I will accept your answer!

Barudak posted:

I did use her, but only because there is a fifth spot in the party and I was even less interested in Vhailor (who I always just killed instead) and Ignus (oh boy, an evil man on fire!). I healed with clots like 99.9% of the time in that game. I have no idea why you would rely on a non-basically-infinite source of healing for your fighting. Maybe this is why people find the game's combat irritating? I may have never rested in the entire game, so I never had to go through memorizing spells, which I could see as a particularly annoying repetitive task in 2nd edition gameplay.

Foxhound posted:

Anyone got anything on Two Worlds 2? (the title makes me think of the SA member everytime I read it :()

Any other general tips?

Wait until it comes out in America so we obsessive USAGoons can play it and offer assistance :( :( :(

Did you play the first game? If not, and the combat is anything like the first game, then you are indeed probably getting it fine, and it is just really hard. I remember how I had to basically do the "cast a bunch of pathetic spells at a charging wolf, hit it once, get hit and nearly die in return, run away and get my mana back, repeat a dozen times until it dies" thing for hours when the game began until my character became half-decent in a fight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quarex posted:

Does that mean Windows RPG or Western RPG? And is the gameplay really any slower or clunkier than any game made before all RPGs were action games in disguise? I really am not trying to start an argument, I promise. I will accept your answer!
Western, though I guess it could apply more specifically to old PC games. Seriously, Fallout 1 and 2 are fun to play but often bloody tedious. I have Baldur's Gate in my queue too, but I hear that luckily there's a way to mod/patch it so it is a lot easier to handle.

As for P:T I'm only a little ways in so far and have no real complaints with the gameplay honestly. The advice on what not to throw away and such is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

I did use her, but only because there is a fifth spot in the party and I was even less interested in Vhailor (who I always just killed instead) and Ignus (oh boy, an evil man on fire!).
Nameless, Morte, Dakkon, Annah, Fall-From-Grace, and Nordom is best party. :colbert:

That said, Fall-From-Grace gets some nice healing abilities which are more effective than clots in an emergency, and, if I remember correctly, some excellent buffs as well.

quote:

I healed with clots like 99.9% of the time in that game. I have no idea why you would rely on a non-basically-infinite source of healing for your fighting. Maybe this is why people find the game's combat irritating? I may have never rested in the entire game, so I never had to go through memorizing spells, which I could see as a particularly annoying repetitive task in 2nd edition gameplay.

Spell memorization is (surprisingly) pretty painless, actually, you set it up once and it happens automatically when you rest. You only need to worry about it when you get new spells or more spell slots.

Now, granted, I was using spells for blasting rather than utility, so Nameless's memorization for each level was just "as much of the most powerful attack spell you know in this level" and FFG's was "as much of the best healing you have at this level". I imagine it might be different if you actually used spells for identification and whatnot.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Here's some for Saint's Row 2, after getting all the Hitman and Chopshop lists.

The first thing you should do is go to the projects and do all 6 levels of FUZZ, you will get a Kobra machine pistol (automatic weapon in the pistol slot) for the third level.

The second thing you should do is go to the airport, grab a helicopter or plane, go in the air and jump out, parachute and start the basejumping diversion. You should go northeast towards the hotel outside of the airport because you need to be by roads, and it gets annoying when your target is under the top level highway. To land in the center all you need to do is hold back when you're nearing the ground and you'll barely move. 3 gold stars gets you no fall damage, which is the most useful thing in the game.

Third thing, go to the Factories and do insurance fraud. Pass level 3 and you get 2x the sprint bar, level 6 and you get unlimited sprint. Your time doesn't end if the time runs out and you're adrenaline bar is still going down, it also doesn't end if you say, throw yourself in the back of a garbage truck and bounce around until you get 400K.

Fourth thing, go to the Chinatown and do Snatch, level 3 gives you 2x health regen, level 6 gives you 3x. Snatch in Downtown also gives you GAL-43 for level 3, and unlimited SMG ammo for 6.

Easy gold stars:

Powersliding: Get in a Bootlegger (it's my favorite car in the game, I don't know what other cars work). Hold reverse and right or left, and tap the handbrake, which should keep putting you in a power slide and get you three gold stars quickly. Works best in a big empty parking lot like the one outside of the Saints HQ.

Big Air Jumps: Look for a gas station, get a running start and slam into the pumps.

Bailouts: Work best if you already have the no falling damage unlockable from basejumping. Just get in your best car, speed down a highway, long road or runway and dive out when you're going fast.

Flashing and streaking: Just run down a sidewalk, either letting your goods flap around for all to see or opening your jacket at every group of people you see. When you can't see anyone ahead of you, run across the street and back up the direction you came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded the King's Bounty collection on Steam during the sale last week, and I don't know where to start with the games (got it because I liked the old King's Bounty and the first couple HOMM games, and it appears to be the same basic formula). Are they three separate games that I play one after the other, or is it like the expansions to something like Civ 4 where you install all of them then just pick the most recent one?

Any tips for a new player would be cool too.