Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TheBandOffice posted:

:unsmith: okay....the manager I liked just called me and said he doesn't want me gone and will work around any schedule I want. He's on the same level as the manager that termed me. I'm back on for now pending a review by the manager above them. That, if it goes against me, I get to appeal again to the manager above them. And then HR.

Good luck, man, meanwhile, this just in...

If I'm late just 1 minute in December, I'm fired. Incidentally, you should never try a new route to work you're unsure of, especially when you're on the same shift as the manager that hates you. I found this out the hard way, this morning. I ride my bike to work, and I decided to try a different road. Well, that road is 98% uphill, and my bike has no gear shift.

And I really like it there... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

manguero posted:

The store I used to work for always threatened to do this, and I think they sort of did actually. They had to have something to hold over our heads since the wage (7.50) was hardly much motivation and we didn't make commission. I can't say about company-wide; I think it was up to the GM/scheduling manager of each store.

Fake edit: I assume what you're talking about is that people who get more sales (or in our case, more store credit cards) get more hours and more say in when those hours are scheduled.

The place I work is hourly (no commissioned sales thank god) but instead it is corporate policy for the department managers to rank the schedule based off of merit. I'm really confused by this because, well, we don't actually make money off of our sales. Pretty much my entire job entails me cleaning up after dirty customers who can't loving put Juicy Couture gloves back in their box and getting over priced watches out of a case to show to people.

It wouldn't bother me if all the managers did it based off of job performance but it looks like they're doing it by who can brown nose the best. The girl who got number 1 in my department ( I got number 2 out of 6, but still ) doesn't do poo poo all day. She sits behind the watch case and untangles tangled necklaces and watches everyone else in the department scramble around doing go backs and servicing customers. The only reason she got number 1 because she sniveled her nose in between my manager's rear end. All of my other co workers are really hard workers and get their poo poo done in a timely manner.

We don't get paid more based off of the merit system but they do lay off people from the bottom up and I'm going to really hate seeing my hard working co-workers get laid off because they didn't compliment my manager every day on what boots she's wearing. It really, really, really irks me.

Oh also co-workers who talk to you about the abortion they got YESTERDAY is just plain awkward.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Also jesus christ the women's restrooms are loving disgusting.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Nothing brings the team together like a good ol' fashioned abortion discussion.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

TheBandOffice posted:

:unsmith: okay....the manager I liked just called me and said he doesn't want me gone and will work around any schedule I want. He's on the same level as the manager that termed me. I'm back on for now pending a review by the manager above them. That, if it goes against me, I get to appeal again to the manager above them. And then HR.

Yay! :D Good luck with that process.

elf pr0n posted:

The place I work is hourly (no commissioned sales thank god) but instead it is corporate policy for the department managers to rank the schedule based off of merit. I'm really confused by this because, well, we don't actually make money off of our sales. Pretty much my entire job entails me cleaning up after dirty customers who can't loving put Juicy Couture gloves back in their box and getting over priced watches out of a case to show to people.

It wouldn't bother me if all the managers did it based off of job performance but it looks like they're doing it by who can brown nose the best.

That blows. At our store I think it was equally selfish on the managers' part but more pragmatic: store meeting its credit card enrollment goal for the quarter -> bonus for managers. Therefore, tools who rope in a lot of cards (or are just lucky to get suckers in their line) -> $$ in managers' pockets. It was as if sales were ancillary to those store cards (and if so I wouldn't really be surprised; clearly financial chicanery is where the real bucks are made).

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

elf pr0n posted:

Also jesus christ the women's restrooms are loving disgusting.

They always are, everywhere.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Der Kaktusfreund posted:

Thanks, I needed this. At one point last night I had six people in a crowd just standing in front of the register with at least one angry glare. If you make sympathetic eye contact with them you just make your own problems worse. I have a new respect for retail employees.

Any service where they can see what's going on is the worst, it really is. Food, your line of work, people just get stupidly impatient. It's so much better when people remain ignorant to what's going on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, is there any place that's good to work your first job? I pretty much backed out of Target after reading this thread and seeing how many hoops they would want me to jump through just for a minimum wage holiday job.

I'm generally pretty open to lovely work and rear end in a top hat managers, the only things I want to avoid is (1) pressure to sell people poo poo they don't want like credit cards, magazine subscriptions and the like; and (2) stupid "team cheer" bullshit ala Wal-Mart.

At this point, since I'm going to Disneyland in January, I'm thinking of just walking into their "casting" office to see if I can get a job there and just relocate to do it. Entire books have been written about the slavish work and near-fascism of Disney management, but it's a company that I actually like (I pretty much studied Disney service culture and employee guidebooks as a teenager, since it was my dream job. I think I actually have the Operators Manual for Space Mountain in Florida around here, with all the startup/shutdown checklists.)

Given that I've already brainwashed myself as a teen to the Disney mold, to the level that no matter where I work I'll be pointing with two fingers and picking up and disposing any garbage I see even if it's not in my job description, I might as well work at a place that will appreciate those habits.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
My manager's a loving idiot.

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to scare someone when they're cleaning out the VERY hot chip tray. And then, without offering help for the burns I have on my hand, which by the way, even at that point, hurt like hell, just laughed at me. And then, while I had my hand running under cold water - and despite him being perfectly able to do it himself - he has the nerve to ask me to tend to the one, rather drunk customer in the store.

I love my job. My co-workers are great, and 99% of the customers are amazing. But my, god, do I want to injure this man. Very, very seriously.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

So, is there any place that's good to work your first job?

Restaurants. Can't speak for fast food, as I've never worked it, but you might have to settle for that at first with no experience. My entry into restaurants (as host/togo) was backed up with lots of other work experience at least. You should be able to get a dishwasher job though, and hopefully you can move up from there, especially if you want to keep working back-of-house. Sure washing dishes is dirty work, but mostly you don't have to deal with people and time passes quickly. (As someone who had worked more abstract jobs like teaching, for me it was refreshingly concrete.) As for front of house (meaning hosting, serving, etc.), you still have to deal with customers of course, but in general they are nicer to you than in retail for several reasons, and personally I had a lot more camaraderie with my coworkers and respect from my managers.

All this is based on my admittedly limited impressions of both retail and restaurants, as I didn't have to do either for very long. I can say that I was done with retail after four months but could work in the restaurant I was at for years.

Re-edit: if you are curious about working restaurants, watch the movie Waiting. I think it does a good job showing the good and the bad.

manguero fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 4, 2010

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
:stat: - Customer
:) - me

:stat: Hey young man, do you have any more roasts back there? I found these two, but I want to see more than what you have over there. The rest there are crap, they are junk.

:) Sure, I'll have a cutter cut you some non-crap chuck roasts for you. It'll just be a few minutes.

Of course the customer is shocked when I use the same attitude as him and just leaves. Some people are just so drat rude out of the blue. Meat is a perishable item that we can't cut too much of at one time or else you risk having to throw it away. In my case, it was fairly early in the morning so we haven't gotten the chance to cut fresh for anything.

Is it really hard to ask or say:

"Do you have any more [insert roast name here]s?"
"Your selection of roasts are low, do you have anymore?"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

One guy at the comic book store was debating about buying a model, I suggested he buy it now despite the lack of space in his model shelf as they go quick and don't have huge runs. He freaked on me. "So my dog can eat it!?" And quickly fled the store in a huff.

Customers are weird at times.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
A customer had a breakdown today because my co-worked started putting the stuff that she left in her unattended shopping basket back onto the shelf. Yelling, crying, stomping feet, the whole works. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel bad for her, to be worried for my co-worker in case of violence, or to start laughing. I hate to see old people crying, but Jesus Christ, it was a basket of vegetables...

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~
Today at work was an extra-special employee discount day where we get 50% off instead of 30%. I wasn't scheduled and popped by after class to get some Christmas gifts and take advantage of this sweet deal. There is a counter behind the cash register counter as there is more customer-accessible merchandise back there. I was waiting for my boyfriend to finish shopping and was leaning on the secondary counter. Completely ignoring my unoccupied dress-code + bright yellow apron clad coworker, some lady holds up something and asked me, weighed down by boxes of stuff and bags from other stores, how much it was. I just sputtered and pointed to the person who was actually getting paid to answer questions and be nice. It didn't help that the coworker had, just minutes ago, asked me if something went with something else for a customer, possibly the same one. I'm not on the clock! Quit asking me questions unless you intend to pay me! :argh:

Also, I am going to be quitting this job soon as I have not been getting enough hours or, if I do, they are scheduled in absolutely retarded manners. 2pm - close (turned into a ten hour shift) Saturday and then open to close (eight hours, less than ten hours after my previous shift had ended) the following day? Followed by five work days free of being scheduled, then five hours the next Saturday. What.

Anyway, I already have another job, but the manager (who was my manager at a prior job) doesn't think she'll be able to give me 15-20 hours per week and more during winter break. I know my schedule at my first job up until new year's (all one day on weekends for the next three weeks). Should I hand in my "three week's notice" and work until the end of my scheduled days, or should I just try and keep both jobs? I'm going to be taking classes over winter and am a full time student during "regular" semesters, and I really don't want to work at my first job anymore but money is kind of important. :(

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Joonami posted:

Should I hand in my "three week's notice" and work until the end of my scheduled days, or should I just try and keep both jobs?

Well, in my experience, when you hand in your notice, they just schedule you zero hours until the time comes for you to leave. So unless you're on really good terms with the HR manager, and the manager who makes the schedule, just leave whenever you need to. Also, if they're dicking you around on hours, there's no guarantee that they won't schedule you to work when you're scheduled to work at your other job. So just be aware of that possibility.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Well, in my experience, when you hand in your notice, they just schedule you zero hours until the time comes for you to leave. So unless you're on really good terms with the HR manager, and the manager who makes the schedule, just leave whenever you need to. Also, if they're dicking you around on hours, there's no guarantee that they won't schedule you to work when you're scheduled to work at your other job. So just be aware of that possibility.

This is true. I'm on really good terms with the boss at the second job, who even offered to work around the scheduling at the first job to try and give me the number of hours I want (especially since job #1 typically has schedules posted months or several weeks in advance - I knew about new year's day thanksgiving weekend). In addition to the whole retarded-scheduling thing, I think I'm more tired of being kept 1-2 hours past closing to clean at job#1 while the supervisors don't do a whole heck of a lot aside from count drawers and delegate work. This isn't my first retail job, and I would help my managers close at other jobs before so I know they aren't completely busy because youtube is not in the closing procedures, sorry.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Got my hours cut from 40 to 26

ugh

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

elf pr0n posted:

ugh

Your boss is an absolute fucker.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

elf pr0n posted:

ugh

I went from 40 to 22 :smug:

P.S. :smithicide:

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Why the hell do people think it's ok to haggle in a corporate owned store? This guy comes in and starts asking about the used Xboxes. I tell him that we're sold out, and he gives me this look like I'm an rear end in a top hat for daring to sell out days before he graces us with his presence. "What kind of deal can you give me on this?" like he's going to be doing me a huge favor by buying a brand new Xbox 360. I told the guy "You give me the money, I give you the Xbox. That's the deal." He gets mad and says "Well merry Christmas to you too!"

I hope there's a rabid squirrel in his tree.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
My district manager visited today and demanded that I sell a post-paid cell phone during the hour and a half he was there or I would be written up. I sold an 84 year old woman a 2 year contract at $40 a month when she'll probably barely use it. :smithicide: I hope she returns it.

I asked the DM, "What happens, then, if no customers walk in the door in the next hour and a half? It's happened before in this store."

His response? "Doesn't matter. Sell a postpaid while I'm here or you're getting written up."

Thank gently caress I have a job interview next week to work IT at a school district.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My workplace is going to start requiring that we wear black shirts in January. Since we can wear any black shirt we like, it's not considered a uniform and the company won't pay for it. I didn't care a few months ago when I got hired, but as January looms closer, it makes me sad. I really don't want to wear black every loving day. But since they don't mandate what type on pants/skirts we need to wear, I think I'm going to invest in the most brightest obnoxious pants/skirts I can. I already have a sherbet orange skirt with silver threaded accents burning a hole in my closet.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

My district manager visited today and demanded that I sell a post-paid cell phone during the hour and a half he was there or I would be written up. I sold an 84 year old woman a 2 year contract at $40 a month when she'll probably barely use it. :smithicide: I hope she returns it.

I asked the DM, "What happens, then, if no customers walk in the door in the next hour and a half? It's happened before in this store."

His response? "Doesn't matter. Sell a postpaid while I'm here or you're getting written up."

Thank gently caress I have a job interview next week to work IT at a school district.

Should have tried to sell him one :haw:

But seriously, he's a horrible human being.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

The General posted:

But seriously, he's a horrible human being.

This. gently caress managers who demand you be able to sell something to someone on the spot. We're human beings, not magical sales wizards. Human beings making closer to minimum wage than is comfortable, at that.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Joonami posted:

I'm not on the clock! Quit asking me questions unless you intend to pay me! :argh:

I had a girl at my work get wrote up for not helping a customer when she was off the clock. She was heading out to pick her up her kids from school, and handed the customer off to an employee that was right there when the lady came up to her and asked about an item across the store. Yet....... YOU HORRIBLE BITCH WE WROTE YOU UP NEXT TIME IT'S YOUR JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB.

Also, yesterday, I had a customer who let her kid take apart the vacuums in our cleaning department for fun. Not for fun while she shopped, she literally just watched him and was like: "Ok you have one more minute until we have to go."

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Kaninrail posted:

This. gently caress managers who demand you be able to sell something to someone on the spot. We're human beings, not magical sales wizards. Human beings making closer to minimum wage than is comfortable, at that.

My day yesterday:

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO BUY FRAGRANCES AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT IS ALL ABOUT COSMETICS? :byodame:

and

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO OPEN MACY'S ACCOUNTS AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT WAS PRIMARILY ADVERTISED TO MACY'S CARDHOLDERS. :byodame:

Megera fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2010

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Megera posted:

My day yesterday:

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO BUY FRAGRANCES AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT IS ALL ABOUT COSMETICS? :byodame:

and

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO OPEN MACY'S ACCOUNTS AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT WAS PRIMARILY ADVERTISED TO MACY'S CARDHOLDERS. :byodame:

My day:

OPEN RACK FAVORITES WE NEED THEM :byodame:

*cuts hours nearly in half*

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I would have broken that man's jaw on the spot.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Luquos posted:

My manager's a loving idiot.

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to scare someone when they're cleaning out the VERY hot chip tray. And then, without offering help for the burns I have on my hand, which by the way, even at that point, hurt like hell, just laughed at me. And then, while I had my hand running under cold water - and despite him being perfectly able to do it himself - he has the nerve to ask me to tend to the one, rather drunk customer in the store.

I love my job. My co-workers are great, and 99% of the customers are amazing. But my, god, do I want to injure this man. Very, very seriously.

gently caress man you should sue. That's pretty drat serious. That could have gotten you crippled. you could get him out of the job and land you with some needed cash.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MaxDuo posted:

I had a girl at my work get wrote up for not helping a customer when she was off the clock. She was heading out to pick her up her kids from school, and handed the customer off to an employee that was right there when the lady came up to her and asked about an item across the store. Yet....... YOU HORRIBLE BITCH WE WROTE YOU UP NEXT TIME IT'S YOUR JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB.

This is bizarre, because everywhere I've seen, helping a customer while off the clock is not allowed, and I've heard stories of people being written up simply by tidying up an endcap while on the way to the door.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm being a personal shopper until Christmas. Fine. It gets me off my arse and I get to help people everywhere in the store.

But I swear to god if my manager doesn't stop talking to me like a four year old I am going to snap and go loving kill someone.

I was never angry after work until I took this new job. Now I'm angry every day. I don't think it's just Christmas, either. :smith:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm being a personal shopper until Christmas. Fine. It gets me off my arse and I get to help people everywhere in the store.

But I swear to god if my manager doesn't stop talking to me like a four year old I am going to snap and go loving kill someone.

I was never angry after work until I took this new job. Now I'm angry every day. I don't think it's just Christmas, either. :smith:

Welcome to my world. All I want to do is finish picking so I can go home but lazy assholes need to order enough food to get them through a nuclear holocaust. This week I worked more hours than Thanksgiving week, my feet are killing me, my back hurts, and I'm pissed off at our idiot drivers for being spineless assholes. Also a bird is trapped in our backroom and the store wont do anything about it :(

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
The woman returned the phone I sold her, thankfully. My district manager didn't care, though, because there is a new obsession:

Corporate lately has been trying a one-size-fits-all approach with the stores. They're mandating that all stores, regardless of volume, sell 1 post-paid cell phone unit per day. Some stores clear this fairly easily, but my store struggles because we are extremely low volume. We've been scraping by at about 1 1/4 units per day on average - so a few bad days can really wipe us out.

The logical question for some may be "Well, what if my store has a great day and sells 7 units in one day? Are we covered for the week, then, since we'll average 1 per day?"

My district manager's answer is, naturally, "No. You have to sell 1 unit per day regardless of how well you did the previous day. Going two days with 0 units gets everybody written up." Not just the people that worked those two days - everybody. Why? I have no idea. This is a new district manager, and I guess he's trying to impose a reign of terror so that corporate thinks he's doing something.

I did have a :unsmith: moment today - one of my regular customers called the regional office with a compliment for me after I walked him through the basics of his new Android phone. Sometimes, customers can be humans too...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
An older woman was at the register when I came back from lunch. I was later informed that she had been there for 10 minutes already, going through 2 different crossword puzzle dictionaries. One was $7.98, large and heavy. The other was $3.48, small and light. They already had rung her up for her other purchases, no doubt in an attempt to get he to skedaddle.

:ohdear:: "Which of these do YOU think I should get, young man?"
:cool:: "What are these, for crosswords?"
:shlick:: "Yes! My mother loooooves crosswords."
:cool:: "Hmm. Well, is she very old, does she travel? Maybe the lighter one?"
:ohdear:: "No, she stays at home. Is this one A-Z?" *indicates larger book*
:crossarms:: *opens larger book to first page. Aardvark. opens to last page. Zyxt* "...yes."
:ohdear:: "Are you sure?"
:cool:: "Positive."
:ohdear:: "How can you tell?"
:cool:: "I'm a professional."
:ohdear:: "Oh. Ok. What about this one? This one has sections or something."
:cool:: "That's so you can look something up by subject." *notices line that's been growing for past few minutes*
:ohdear:: "Oh, I don't think she'll need that."
:eng101:: "I beg to differ. She may need to look up famous last names or certain words she may not know the meanings of. Or things from the bible. I think you should go with the smaller, cheaper one."
:ohdear:: "Oh. Well I just don't know." *the line is longer.*
:pseudo: "Ok, well, the copyright date in this one is 2 years older than this one. It's an older edition and I think the newer, smaller one is more comprehensive."
:ohdear:: "Where do you see that?"
:eng99:: "The copyright page at the front."
:ohdear:: "Oh... I still don't know."
:colbert:: "This one is cheaper, lighter, more comprehensive and easier to use. I'm going to go ahead and ring this up..."

I WISH I were exaggerating... She wasn't mean, or anything. I just... I dunno. It's like old people are children that smell just as bad, but can drive.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Today (Thanks to this thread) I told a night manager at Albertson's that a nice lady at the deli did great customer service. The manager thanked me several times and walked over to the deli counter to tell the girl. The smile on her face made my day worth of lovely customers and even shittier managers :unsmith:

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Dodgeball posted:

old lady who won't go away
I had a lady like this on Saturday. She asked how to get to the cheesecake factory (because working in a mall means being a walking, talking mall directory) which I knew how to get to because I'm observant of my surroundings.
:j:: Turn right out of the door to this store and turn right again to go down the hallway. Go directly past the food court, out the door and exit the mall. Cheesecake Factory is to the left.
:zombie::Can I walk there?
:j:: ...yes, there just isn't a door inside the mall to get in, so you need to leave the building.
:zombie::Can I leave my car here or do I have to drive over there?
:j:: [I describe how to get there again]
:zombie:: is it close? I thought the food court was near here.
:arghfist::j:: It is, just [directions, again]

I had to describe to her how to get to this stupid restaurant four or five times and she kept asking about leaving her car where she parked it. And the food court, which is literally behind the store I work at :doh:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
One of my poo poo coworkers got fired today. :toot:

Unfortunately it was after getting into a fight with our assistant manager by the other new guy, who hated his guts and is a massive kissass so will probably be smug as gently caress for the next few weeks. drat it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

AlmightyBob posted:

lazy assholes need to order enough food to get them through a nuclear holocaust.

I feel terribly sorry for UK retail goons at the moment. As usual, as soon as the temperature drops below 0C the entire country slides off the road into a crumpled wreck, which leads to scenes like the one I saw yesterday in my local supermarket:

:( Assistant
:byodame: Customer

:byodame: *stares aghast at mostly empty pre-packaged bread shelves*
:byodame: Excuse me, excuse me! Where is the bread?!
:( I'm sorry, the weather has delayed our deliveries so we don't have any more in stock.
:byodame: Well when will there be more? Today?
:( I'm afraid I don't know, there will be another delivery as soon as the weather allows it.
:byodame: *splutter* This is unbelievable, is there a manager around?
(manager is found, same conversation happens again, :byodame: storms off)

Yes lady, I know it sucks that the government refuses to spend an extra couple of million on grit stockpiles and then stands around looking confused when the economy haemorrhages tens of millions a day because the roads are unusable, but a supermarket assistant and his supervisor are not in a position to do anything about it.

While you were venting your frustration on the powerless, I had time to go over to the bakery counter right next to the bread shelves and pick up... freshly baked bread. *sigh*

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Joonami posted:

(because working in a mall means being a walking, talking mall directory)
I spent a year working for a fashion shop in a shopping centre, and had so many people come in asking about vacancies. That's fine in itself, but when I said we didn't have any, they'd ask "Do you know if anywhere else in here has vacancies?"

There are 30+ shops in the mall, each with their own management and staff. Why would I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Zero Star posted:

There are 30+ shops in the mall, each with their own management and staff. Why would I know?

Because they think those that work in the shopping centre hang out together all the time. :rolleye:
That or they assume you see signs saying 'we're hiring' as you walk in.