Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Wojtek posted:

Owen going for the pin and then rear end-teabagging Austin (per the stips of the match :v:) would've been great heat.

Don't ask how I know this but that's called a Grizzly so great post/av combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Great, after reading the last page I got to hit up YouTube and watch me some Norm MacDonald.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rusty Shackelford posted:

You should have said "Hey! Pretend Cop!"
So many of those guys thought they were cops that it wouldn't be specific enough.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Great, after reading the last page I got to hit up YouTube and watch me some Norm MacDonald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLm-vD89SQ

This is the best.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

This is the best.

FIVE loving STARS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the best.

Haha I love this video so much.

"I got a title for you, BOX OFFICE POISON!"

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Jerusalem posted:

Haha I love this video so much.

"I got a title for you, BOX OFFICE POISON!"

I saw this when it aired, and to this day a friend of mine and I still remember "I bet Board is spelled B-O-R-E-D" whenever something mildly related to this comes up.

I wish there was some reason, some way that Norm MacDonald would ever do guest commentary, because I have a feeling it'd be some weird meta-version of Art Donovan at KOTR 94.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Norm is the funniest man ever

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it acknowledged on WWE TV that Ziggler and Spirit Squad Nicky are the same person? There was a bit on a Botchamania where a commentator said Dolph had never held a title or something, and pointing out the Spirit Squad's Freebird tag reign, and I thought that might be a bit unfair on them if it's another character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it acknowledged on WWE TV that Ziggler and Spirit Squad Nicky are the same person? There was a bit on a Botchamania where a commentator said Dolph had never held a title or something, and pointing out the Spirit Squad's Freebird tag reign, and I thought that might be a bit unfair on them if it's another character.
There's some joke references to it, if I recall someone (I think Cena) called him a male cheerleader, but yeah they're basically different characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Endorph posted:

There's some joke references to it, if I recall someone (I think Cena) called him a male cheerleader, but yeah they're basically different characters.

Right. It isn't a Festus < Luke Gallows thing, it's more Isaac Yankem < Kane.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I really enjoy documentary style behind-the-scenes looks at the wrestling business and what goes on backstage before/during/after a show. I have yet to see The John Cena Experience (and want to only because of the teaser commercials showing alot of backstage stuff and day-to-day life of the performer) but I have seen the Jericho documentary on his DVD. Are there any other documentaries that I could easily find that deal with this sort of thing? Be it a performers DVD or otherwise. I have seen the Bret Hart dvd (Wrestling With Shadows?) and the ridiculous documentary with the stunt granny and all that.

Another question: I also enjoy hearing stories about the wacky poo poo that guys got into when they traveled together and shoot interviews are good for this kind of thing. I've seen a bunch of them and heard some of the stories - but are there any must hear stories that stand out as hilarious or shocking? Are there any stories of performers traveling together that you wouldn't normally think would be traveling buddies?

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 12, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The strangest road duo I can recall is hearing how Lance Storm and Raven used to travel together.

The best shoots for stories seem to always end up being someone from the Kliq. Scott Hall's RF Video shoot is phenomenal. Kevin Nash always says something funny and Sean Waltman's YouShoot was a loving riot.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Another question: I also enjoy hearing stories about the wacky poo poo that guys got into when they traveled together and shoot interviews are good for this kind of thing. I've seen a bunch of them and heard some of the stories - but are there any must hear stories that stand out as hilarious or shocking?

Raven's story about the Sandman ODing is hilarious, if only because it exposed the fact that Bill Alfonso calls people "daddy" in real life.

Michael Hayes has some good ones about riding with the Iron Sheik as well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

The strangest road duo I can recall is hearing how Lance Storm and Raven used to travel together.

The best shoots for stories seem to always end up being someone from the Kliq. Scott Hall's RF Video shoot is phenomenal. Kevin Nash always says something funny and Sean Waltman's YouShoot was a loving riot.

I think I've seen the Waltman YouShoot one but I'll have to track down Scott Hall's.

CombineThresher posted:

Raven's story about the Sandman ODing is hilarious, if only because it exposed the fact that Bill Alfonso calls people "daddy" in real life.

Michael Hayes has some good ones about riding with the Iron Sheik as well.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

One of my favorite road stories was when the WWF was snowed in in Baltimore around 99 so Edge, Christian, Mick and the Hardys all take turns jumping out of 2nd story windows into snow banks.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I really enjoy documentary style behind-the-scenes looks at the wrestling business and what goes on backstage before/during/after a show. I have yet to see The John Cena Experience (and want to only because of the teaser commercials showing alot of backstage stuff and day-to-day life of the performer) but I have seen the Jericho documentary on his DVD. Are there any other documentaries that I could easily find that deal with this sort of thing? Be it a performers DVD or otherwise. I have seen the Bret Hart dvd (Wrestling With Shadows?) and the ridiculous documentary with the stunt granny and all that.
Well it goes without saying that you need to see "Beyond The Mat" if you hadn't already. Fascinating look at both the WWE and some local promotions. The bulk of the footage follows Mick Foley, Jake Roberts (so fasicnating and :smith:), and Terry Funk in early 1999, plus you've also got some other bits like Droz in Vince's office (the famous "HE'S GONNA PUKE!" segment).

Also definitely watch the documentary they did during Wrestlemania 19. It's available as a bonus disc on the WM19 DVD, not sure where else. That one's an in-house WWE project, but they completely ignore kayfabe and give a really open look backstage.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Have you read scummiest wrestling stories? While I'm sure a lot of it is purely rumor I think there are some travel stories in it which sound believable from memory.

Edit: Where did the txt version of scummiest wrestling stories go?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2011

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The best travel story is Mark Henry travelling alone for fear of being killed by any of the pill popping junkies employed by WWF at the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I recall, Kane and Goldust travel together, and Santino and Orton are bffs.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Minidust posted:

Also definitely watch the documentary they did during Wrestlemania 19. It's available as a bonus disc on the WM19 DVD, not sure where else. That one's an in-house WWE project, but they completely ignore kayfabe and give a really open look backstage.

It's actually a bonus on the WMXX DVD, not XIX. I don't think it's available anywhere else; I know they showed it on television once, but that's about it. I'll agree, though, it's a great behind the scenes look, high production values, and there were a few compelling stories going on around that Wrestlemania (Austin leaving, Shawn coming back, Angle going into surgery the next day) so there's a lot of good material they cover. The DVD also has a few deleted scenes covering some of the more minor issues going on during that time.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

servo106 posted:

One of my favorite road stories was when the WWF was snowed in in Baltimore around 99 so Edge, Christian, Mick and the Hardys all take turns jumping out of 2nd story windows into snow banks.

That's awesome, haha. You'd think someone at WWE would have lost their poo poo if they found out about that.

Minidust posted:

Well it goes without saying that you need to see "Beyond The Mat" if you hadn't already.

Also definitely watch the documentary they did during Wrestlemania 19.

Gonna hunt down Beyond The Mat if I can find it and I'd love to see that Wrestlemania 19 documentary but I can't see myself buying the DVD for it. Maybe I'll look around youtube and hopefully someone there will have put it up.

Sue Denim posted:

Have you read scummiest wrestling stories? While I'm sure a lot of it is purely rumor I think there are some travel stories in it which sound believable from memory.

I have read it and it was very entertaining regardless of how true or false the stories might be. Great recommendation though, thank you.

Endorph posted:

If I recall, Kane and Goldust travel together, and Santino and Orton are bffs.

Orton probably loves hanging with Santino because he's funny and Orton never has to worry about him getting more popular, haha.

El Duke posted:

It's actually a bonus on the WMXX DVD, not XIX. I don't think it's available anywhere else; I know they showed it on television once, but that's about it. I'll agree, though, it's a great behind the scenes look, high production values, and there were a few compelling stories going on around that Wrestlemania (Austin leaving, Shawn coming back, Angle going into surgery the next day) so there's a lot of good material they cover. The DVD also has a few deleted scenes covering some of the more minor issues going on during that time.

drat, I really want to see this now. I may have to see if I can find the DVD somewhere on the cheap just for that.

Thanks for all the answers :)

Edit: Found "The Mania of Mania" on youtube but sadly an entire part is missing (the Austin and Rock stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVicVOH6jXA Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeS0OwuWZ_U Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g077TLDUClU Part 4

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 12, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Edit: Found "The Mania of Mania" on youtube but sadly an entire part is missing (the Austin and Rock stuff)

drat. The Austin/Rock segment is my favorite of them all (though I'm pretty biased towards Austin) and honestly, if you follow Austin now through his twitter and his other antics that he does today, you feel so great for the guy. He honestly is a mess during 19, both physically (he ends up in the hospital the night before, with hyperactivity in his knees and a heart rate at near heart attack levels) and personally (there's a great contrast with the Rock smiling and bouncing around, hanging out with his family, while Austin is walking head down in the arena, JR his only company, and the person who possibly saved his life the night before). Also, Wrestlemania XX is a pretty drat good WM, and the DVD set contains that, the Hall of Fame, and a few other extras, so if you can get it for a decent price I'd pick it up. Make sure it's the three disc version, though, I can't remember but I think they eventually released it without the third disc and that MIGHT be the Mania of Wrestlemania doc, can't remember. It's either that or the Hall of Fame induction.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Another question: I also enjoy hearing stories about the wacky poo poo that guys got into when they traveled together and shoot interviews are good for this kind of thing. I've seen a bunch of them and heard some of the stories - but are there any must hear stories that stand out as hilarious or shocking? Are there any stories of performers traveling together that you wouldn't normally think would be traveling buddies?
WWE's released a couple books on the matter (Are We There Yet & Rumble Road); I don't remember if they ever got reviewed in the 30-second review thread, but I have both books so if there isn't one I'll do it when I get home.

From what I remember they were both pretty good books that didn't appear PG-edited. Also enlightening that that big black guy who did the touchdown dance with a loaf of bread on the original Tough Enough wasn't just a zany skit for that show, it was the kind of thing wrestlers do all the drat time to amuse themselves.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Duke posted:

It's actually a bonus on the WMXX DVD, not XIX.
Whoops! Good call.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wow, I completely forgot Jesse Ventura narrated this. Watching a minute of that makes me really wanna pop this in and watch it again. Also gonna have to check out "Wrestling With Shadows" now that it's on Netflix; haven't seen that since I rented it on VHS ages ago.

Kind of tangentially related to the documentaries, but it's impressive how well they nailed everything in "The Wrestler." Drawing from the aforementioned documentaries, my own obsessive fandom, and limited indy experience, I could tell that that crew really did their homework.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Sue Denim posted:

Edit: Where did the txt version of scummiest wrestling stories go?

Is that the one with this story?

Source posted:

Ahmed Johnson did a lot of coke back around 1996 at the height of his WWF pay. I don't think I have to tell you that Chris and Tammy enjoy their fair share of nose candy. Well once they had blown through their cash but were still jonesing, they got desparate. They asked Ahmed for an eight ball on credit. He laughed and said, "Black people don't believe in credit. But we can barter." Chris asked what he wanted and Ahmed nodded in her direction. Chris looked at Tammy who shrugged before he said, "Well hey don't hurt her, okay?"

So like twenty minutes later Ahmed finishes and Tammy leaves his room with the tiny, paper envelope. Instead of going back and using it with Chris (who was in their room freaking out), she did the coke with Shawn Michaels and spent the night in his room. A few hours later a frantic Candido starts banging on Ahmed's door. Ahmed answers the door and Candido asks, "Is Tammy here?" Ahmed shrugs and Chris says, "Where the gently caress is Tammy?" Ahmed says he doesn't know because she left hours ago. Candido immediately abandons his search and says, "Well did she take the dope with her?"

The next morning he still hasn't seen Tammy so he goes to the front desk where he runs into Shawn Michaels in the lobby. Shawn walks up to Candido and pushes a nostril close, sniffs, and says, "Thanks for the bump, Chris." Chris asked where Tammy was and Shawn said, "She's probably back in your room now." Candido stormed up to see her, got in a big argument, went to the building, and quit on the spot. The agent told him he couldn't quit w/o a written notice. So he picked up a booking sheet, flipped it over, and wrote:

"I quit. Chris Candido"

And that was the end of his WWF career.

The Heartbreak Kid

Edit: Oh wait here is the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270405&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 12, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

Kind of tangentially related to the documentaries, but it's impressive how well they nailed everything in "The Wrestler." Drawing from the aforementioned documentaries, my own obsessive fandom, and limited indy experience, I could tell that that crew really did their homework.

The Wrestler is an amazing movie but I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to go back and watch it again after the first time. They did such a good job of showing the fall of someone who basically gave up everything to entertain and was left with nothing that it's a really depressing thing to watch. The backstage parts of that movie were not only some of the best but some of the saddest as well.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Who is the worse/scummiest promoter Rob Black (Makes scat and 'rape' movies, dances with a black santa he sees in his head, possibly tried to have the Messiah (wrestler not jesus) pecker cut off) or Ian Rotten (Taco Bell check dodger who wailed on Thumbtack jack, over stiffs guys and may have driven several wrestlers to harm through deathmatchery nonsense).

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Who is the worse/scummiest promoter Rob Black (Makes scat and 'rape' movies, dances with a black santa he sees in his head, possibly tried to have the Messiah (wrestler not jesus) pecker cut off) or Ian Rotten (Taco Bell check dodger who wailed on Thumbtack jack, over stiffs guys and may have driven several wrestlers to harm through deathmatchery nonsense).

Didn't Rob Black promote a PPV with a snake eating a live puppy? If so him. Puppies > hardcore wrestlers.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Manwithastick posted:

possibly tried to have the Messiah (wrestler not jesus) pecker cut off)

I think it was his thumb. If fact I think I remember a bit Americas Most Wanted did about Messiah getting attacked and having his thumb cut off. I dont think the peice though mentioned a possible suspect.

Edit: and atleast Rob Black is doing jail time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ian Rotten is a scummy carny, Black is just loving sick.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I think Rotten just wins it due to the whole thing with JC Bailey. First, he offered to pay Bailey for a show with a handful of pills. Then, when Bailey from drug related things, Rotten showed up at the funeral when it was made clear that he wasn't welcome. He then refused to leave until someone gave him money for the gas he used to get to the funeral.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I mean, I'm gleaning from Wikipedia that Rob Black (a) made a porn film about raping a woman in a wheelchair and, as mentioned, (b) hired people to cut Messiah's thumb off for leaving XPW, so. Rob Black was too scummy for even Larry Flynt, I'm not sure this is a fair fight.

Edit: lol the idiot showed up to the wrong prison by mistake and spent a month in solitary for his trouble

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I mean, I'm gleaning from Wikipedia that Rob Black (a) made a porn film about raping a woman in a wheelchair and, as mentioned, (b) hired people to cut Messiah's thumb off for leaving XPW, so. Rob Black was too scummy for even Larry Flynt, I'm not sure this is a fair fight.

Edit: lol the idiot showed up to the wrong prison by mistake and spent a month in solitary for his trouble

I heard he also made a porno about Al Quieda (However its spelt) raping a news chick but I head the thumb thing was because he had sex with Black's wife (who was his valet)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Jesus Christ I thought some of this had to have been made up but it's not. That is utterly loving disgusting.

When Larry Goddamn Flynt thinks you're a disgusting gently caress, holy poo poo.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Jesus Christ I thought some of this had to have been made up but it's not. That is utterly loving disgusting.

When Larry Goddamn Flynt thinks you're a disgusting gently caress, holy poo poo.

I thought you'd be more upset about the rape of the woman in the wheelchair.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moose Bigelow posted:

I am. It's all absolutely hosed up.

I have known people who were legit abused in a personal care context. Sorry to depress you guys but that poo poo actually happens. :(

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Moose Bigelow posted:

I don't know. The way RPM's post is worded, the porno could be about a wheelchair-bound rapist, so I'm still up in the air about it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Has anybody since Rugged Ronnie Garvin used the Garvin Stomp? That move always cracked me up when I was a kid, and I could never take it seriously, even back during my "IT'S REAL YOU GUYS" phase when I was 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has anybody since Rugged Ronnie Garvin used the Garvin Stomp? That move always cracked me up when I was a kid, and I could never take it seriously, even back during my "IT'S REAL YOU GUYS" phase when I was 8.

Randy Orton used it for a while as a heel. The announcers (well, JR) even called it such.