Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Coredump posted:

What the hell? Canadians are Americans though. Just like the Germans are Europeans.

Here in North America most Canadians I know would be irritated if you used "American" to refer to people who populate the content(s) of the Americas. "North Americans" would probably be more common/appropriate - after all, if you're being strict with "Americans" that includes everyone from Nome to Tierra del Fuego.

Don't even get me started on Hispanic folks, they definitely look at you weird if you use "americans" in a not-specifically-continental context to refer to them.

edit: I have contributed to the horrible spergin derail about America started by some idiot who isn't even relevant. Nice. The Ram Tradesman looks pretty bitchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

The Ram Tradesman looks pretty bitchin.

Reminder that the Ram 1500 comes with 3 link Panhard rod coil spring rear suspension. It's a Mustang with a bed.

OK back to the US/Canada chat. While thinking of a reply to 14 INCH I looked up the figures for truck sales and realized that on a per capital basis, Canadians buy about twice as many full size trucks as Americans. Ford F series sales in Canada were almost 100k in 2010 compared to ~550k for the US, even though the US has 10x as many people. Numbers for GM and Chrysler are about the same.

It's strange because I'm always under the impression that everything is bigger, cheaper and better in America, and that we in Canada have to deal with smaller, more expensive and crappier stuff as a necessary price of our social-democratic way of life. Since about 1 in 3 vehicles on the road here is a diesel 2500HD/F350 I assumed that in wealthy America, it would be....1 in 2? Or people just drove chassis cab/heavy duties? or surplus Warsaw Pact BTR-60s? I don't even know.

But it turns out that relatively more Americans just drive... cars. :psyduck: I don't even know what to think anymore.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 17, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

Reminder that the Ram 1500 comes with 3 link Panhard rod coil spring rear suspension. It's a Mustang with a bed.

OK back to the US/Canada chat. While thinking of a reply to 14 INCH I looked up the figures for truck sales and realized that on a per capital basis, Canadians buy about twice as many full size trucks as Americans. Ford F series sales in Canada were almost 100k in 2010 compared to ~550k for the US, even though the US has 10x as many people. Numbers for GM and Chrysler are about the same.

It's strange because I'm always under the impression that everything is bigger, cheaper and better in America, and that we in Canada have to deal with smaller, more expensive and crappier stuff as a necessary price of our social-democratic way of life. Since about 1 in 3 vehicles on the road here is a diesel 2500HD/F350 I assumed that in wealthy America, it would be....1 in 2? Or people just drove chassis cab/heavy duties? or surplus Warsaw Pact BTR-60s? I don't even know.

But it turns out that relatively more Americans just drive... cars. :psyduck: I don't even know what to think anymore.

That Canada has harsher weather/conditions which warrant more use of pickups? Since there isn't a compact segment anymore, it's only logical they buy fullsize.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Throatwarbler posted:

Canada spends less than one thirtieth as much on military, doesn't pay pharmaceutical companies full retail price for drugs bought by the ton, and hasn't been steadily cutting funding for education while increasing funding for prisons. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: almost nothing is better or cheaper in America.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not convinced that at 1500/F-150 etc level that it makes a huge difference (if that's supposed to be a complaint about the coil suspension). I hear a lot of DURHUR LEAF SPRINGS UR NOTHIN from some guys I know but they don't really do a whole lot with their trucks - if you are doing poo poo that coil suspension can't handle, you should probably step up to a 2500/F-250 anyway.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not convinced that at 1500/F-150 etc level that it makes a huge difference (if that's supposed to be a complaint about the coil suspension). I hear a lot of DURHUR LEAF SPRINGS UR NOTHIN from some guys I know but they don't really do a whole lot with their trucks - if you are doing poo poo that coil suspension can't handle, you should probably step up to a 2500/F-250 anyway.

I meant that it always gets lauded in reviews and tests for having the best ride and handling out of all the full size trucks because of the coil suspension, and I guess I misremembered because it's actually a 5 link?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hmm, he harps about the rollbar orientation and extra weight that costs, but not the positioning of the calipers?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, he harps about the rollbar orientation and extra weight that costs, but not the positioning of the calipers?

What's wrong with them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

What's wrong with them?

Seems to me the minor cost savings of a thinner sway bar mounted front is looking for the same performance benefit as rotating the calipers forward for the savings in polar moment (in a truck, I know).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

heat posted:

Canada spends less than one thirtieth as much on military, doesn't pay pharmaceutical companies full retail price for drugs bought by the ton, and hasn't been steadily cutting funding for education while increasing funding for prisons. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: almost nothing is better or cheaper in America.

On the other hand, Canada is why US-spec 911s have those loving horrible lumps sticking out either side of the rear license plate.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
MINI is righting the universe by building a car smaller than the current Cooper Hardtop. They will be showing a concept version at the Geneva show. It has a carbon fiber frame, seats 3.5, and gets 94 miles to the English gallon. It's called the Bitch is Back Rocketman.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/02/22/world-premier-mini-rocketman/

Production version should be interesting, assuming it isn't too expensive. They are working on a Turbo 3-cylinder that's making the same power as the current Turbo 1.6 and it should fit in this just fine.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 23, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Chance of any of those features, barring the general shape of the thing making it to production are ... remote. Calling it now - they tack two sets of doors on, slope the rear greenhouse, and market it as a shrunken X6.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

hedge posted:

MINI is righting the universe by building a car smaller than the current Cooper Hardtop. They will be showing a concept version at the Geneva show. It has a carbon fiber frame, seats 3.5, and gets 94 miles to the English gallon. It's called the Bitch is Back Rocketman.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/02/22/world-premier-mini-rocketman/

Production version should be interesting, assuming it isn't too expensive. They are working on a Turbo 3-cylinder that's making the same power as the current Turbo 1.6 and it should fit in this just fine.

Wait, so you're saying this bitch will get 90+ mpg and produce around the same 170 hp as the current R56 Mini? Somehow I'm skeptical. To me, this looks like a possible compact-hybrid contender, although I doubt this thing will ever see production. Most likely the 3rd gen Mini, whenever that comes about, will take some styling cues from this (hopefully not the taillights, wtf).

It seems like Mini's lineup will be changed up to include 3 or maybe 4 model ranges, each on it's own platform. With this "Rocketman" it looks like the Mini as we know it will be scaled down in size to differentiate from the Clubman (which will probably evolve into that Paceman concept) and Countryman. I remember seeing a Roadster concept last year, so maybe sometime in 2012/13 that'll make its way into the lineup as the 4th Mini offering, delivering more power than perhaps the current MCS and RWD (oh please oh please).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know if a RWD drivetrain could ever fit under a snub Mini hood.

BMW might even take issue with Mini's brand identity and heritage by going RWD.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

BMW might even take issue with Mini's brand identity and heritage by going RWD.

I'm sure BMW gives a poo poo about mini's heritage

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

^^^ and it's still the size of a Honda Fit.

Yeticopter posted:

Wait, so you're saying this bitch will get 90+ mpg and produce around the same 170 hp as the current R56 Mini? Somehow I'm skeptical.
The concept has some kind of hybrid powertrain but the production car should accomodate the gas 3 cylinder engine. So you get either the power or the economy. The MINI lineup in 2013 would be:

Hardtop (probably next gen car with I3)
Convertible
Clubman (probably the Paceman concept but with the addition of two rear-hinged doors)
Countryman (hopefully with road legal WRC variant)
Coupe
Roadster
Citycar (?)

I don't think any of them would have unique platforms. The whole point of all these new models is to spread the cost of development around, as the current MINI lineup is actually quite expensive to build.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

Exactly. The only obstacle preventing the production of a faster RWD Mini is that it would probably outperform a lot of the current BMW lineup. As long as it doesn't touch the M3's coveted throne I don't see it really being a problem.

hedge posted:

^^^ and it's still the size of a Honda Fit.

The concept has some kind of hybrid powertrain but the production car should accomodate the gas 3 cylinder engine. So you get either the power or the economy. The MINI lineup in 2013 would be:

Hardtop (probably next gen car with I3)
Convertible
Clubman (probably the Paceman concept but with the addition of two rear-hinged doors)
Countryman (hopefully with road legal WRC variant)
Coupe
Roadster
Citycar (?)

I don't think any of them would have unique platforms. The whole point of all these new models is to spread the cost of development around, as the current MINI lineup is actually quite expensive to build.

Invariably the hardtop/convertible would be the same chassis, but the Clubman's extended wheelbase, in my mind, allows it to be considered a different platform, and well the Countryman is of course all on its own.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 23, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

Even that they managed to convince Prodrive to use for WRC, so it's not a complete cashin. Though it is 99% that.
No but seriously, I don't know why they'd want to start from scratch and develop another RWD car. They were already seriously considering introducing a subcompact FWD BMW, so if anything, the pendulum is swinging the other way.

exhaust heat
Dec 23, 2010

by Lowtax

Morphix posted:

:downs:

The Gelendenwagen's arcitecture dates back to the early 1970's, hell it went on sale in 1979, a full decade-and-half before cupholders would would even become ubiqiutous in cars(case in point, my 1992 Integra doesn't have real cupholders, only (useless)ones built into the glovebox door). It was restyled in 1990. Obviously a 32-year old design is not going to have the comfort and convieniences of a new Range Rover you spoon. This SUV was not designed for the 2k's, and was an obsolete anachronism even before the 1990's ended.

The Gelendenwagen is a status symbol, and has near unmatched off-road capability. It owns.The best thing you could come up with is "Hurr Durr cupholder"? Buy another Mercedes SUV then.

exhaust heat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 23, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Why the gently caress would BMW make a RWD mini? Someone give me one not-stupid rationale for it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why the gently caress would BMW make a RWD mini? Someone give me one not-stupid rationale for it.

Because it would be :krad:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Powershift posted:

Oh come off it. Mini's heritage... You know that during the time the original Mini was manufactured they had a station wagaon? Even a pick up truck? If anything BMW IS following in Mini's heritage by releasing models which mirror the original Mini's variations. They are just sized up to modern sizes so you don't die instantly if you get in a crash. There's no way to get around the size gain the Mini's have taken on unless you were to start constructing them out of really exotic materials to maintain the strength they have for modern crash worthiness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The X-bow based 4C is confirmed:
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/263068/new_alfa_romeo_4c_gta_sports_car.html
I have to admit, it totally looks FR there. The baby 8C styling isn't as good as the concept render of the other car, but still looks good.

So how come they had to sully the Giulietta name with that abortion of a Grande Punto rip off, but they can afford to reskin a Xbow to create a fairly irrelevant halo car?

I just don't understand Fiat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

anonumos posted:

Because it would be :krad:

Although this is a totally awesome rationale from the average AI poster perspective, I was thinking more along the lines of something Mini could use to you know, build a business case.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

hedge posted:

They need to make this loving car right now.

Too bad midsize/compact cars are so cheap here, otherwise we could probably have a North American version of the performance kei car segment - tiny engines with well-matched turbocharging. Just look at cars like the Honda City Turbo II. We could have that instead of a Smart Fortwo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They need to make this loving car right now.

Too bad midsize/compact cars are so cheap here, otherwise we could probably have a North American version of the performance kei car segment - tiny engines with well-matched turbocharging. Just look at cars like the Honda City Turbo II. We could have that instead of a Smart Fortwo.

Honda City Turbo II versus Daihatsu Charade GTti is my touge battle dream.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

man that Honda City Turbo II is a sweet motor! I'd never heard of it. It's like a somehow cooler Mk1 Golf GTi.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Carbon Fiber frame? Umm, yeah, call me when that happens.

also:

the article posted:

BMW says that this is the first MINI concept ever to be shown without a specific plan to put it into production

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Porsche's unveiled a new electric Boxster E. The electric motor puts out 240hp and gives 5.3s 0-60 mph times (comparable to the normal Boxster), with an estimated range of 100 miles. It's still undergoing testing so probably won't be on sale for a while.

Porsche's going to start selling Panamera S Hybrids later this year. But at 33mpg, it's certainly not an eco car.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Neither of those were kei cars, they were both much larger and much more powerful. Actually the Fourtwo isn't the right shape either (too wide) which is why the Japanese equivalent (The Mitsubishi iCar) is much longer but narrower.

Unless you've driven an actual kei car I don't think your realise just how small (in particular width) they are.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

New Car?
|
|
V
Is it a Miata? -->YES-->Cool.
|
|
V
NO--->Why can't it be RWD/Lighter/More like a Miata? I would totally buy it then.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 24, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

If could be the same configuration as the Smart cars or the Mitsubishi i (really compact rear engine).

BMWs 1-series has proved that FR packaging just can't work well in a small hatchback

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

New Car?
|
|
V
Is it a Miata? -->YES-->Cool.
|
|
V
NO--->Why can't it be RWD/Lighter/More like a Miata? I would totally buy it then.

The Miata is really the only affordable roadster out there, the Z3 used to be good but the newer Z4's have grown tremendously in size, and the S2000 has been dead for years.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dissss posted:

If could be the same configuration as the Smart cars or the Mitsubishi i (really compact rear engine).

BMWs 1-series has proved that FR packaging just can't work well in a small hatchback

How's that? You're making out like the 1 series is an edsel. As opposed to popular and successful, which it demonstrably is.

If you don't personally enjoy driving them, great, your all-action Almera awaits, but it's not like they have particular problems selling the 1 series, nor is it a bad car in ways that, say, a 3 series isn't (no LSD check, a bit porky check, unduly complicated like all modern cars check). It doesn't have a huge boot, but neither does a "Mini". Or even a Mini Countryman, for that matter.

It also depends on what your definition of working well is. Personally, I don't think small FWD hatches make much of a case for themselves: the packaging is such that it's almost impossible to accomplish routine service tasks without a fully equipped commercial garage, unless you're an AI god, which most buyers patently are not. I wouldn't want to even think about a belt change on my wife's Berlingo, for example - the whole bay is a loving nightmare. And that's an older and roomier design than the compact hatches that are coming off the lines now. There are cars out there (*Marseilleise plays softly*) where the average buyer physically can't change a headlight bulb without taking apart the entire housing. Or in some cases, the front of the car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What I meant was there isn't one hell of a lot of space inside the 1-series for its external size. Which perhaps isn't a problem for the segment its in but I don't see the same applying to the Mini.

I'd say ease of servicing is not something the average consumer contemplates when buying a new car - very few people change their own oil let alone would attempt to replace a belt. Also I don't see what drivetrain layout has to do with headlight bulbs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/24/breaking-spyker-sells-car-unit-to-coachbuilders-cpp/

Spyker buys Saab
Spyker sells Spyker car business

So now Spyker builds Saabs and CPP builds Spykers.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

ozziegt posted:

Carbon Fiber frame? Umm, yeah, call me when that happens.

also:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-02/bmw-weaves-city-car-out-of-carbon-fiber-used-in-f1.html

Here they are crash testing it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
CFRP has quite a way to go in terms of cheapness, right? There's no special or rare stuff in it, just thread and plastic?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dissss posted:

I'd say ease of servicing is not something the average consumer contemplates when buying a new car - very few people change their own oil let alone would attempt to replace a belt.

Because...people who don't do this themselves pay someone else to do it. And if your car is a nightmare to work on, you get shafted. If FR is a failed concept in a hatch because the cabin space is slightly reduced, why is FF not a failed concept because the car becomes a bitch to work on? And therefore expensive and/or extremely time consuming for the owner.

And yes, people do care about servicing costs and reliability. Hence only in AI do people who are not Jay Leno or congenitally stupid voluntarily buy old Jaguars, and hence the resale values of modern Alfas.

dissss posted:

Also I don't see what drivetrain layout has to do with headlight bulbs.

Really? Again, have you looked under the hood of a modern FWD car with the regulation transverse engine? Cabin space is maximised by having stupid-rear end packaging. Stuffing a transmission and two half shafts between the front wheels and then squeezing everything as tight as possible to generate that extra cabin space means stupid poo poo happens as soon as you have to try to reach anything.

If for example you own a Modus, prepare to remove the bumper or alternatively wheelarch trim or alternatively both in order to replace a dead bulb. On our Clio 182, which is at the sensible end of things, you still needed to be Oskar Schindler to get the job done. Timing belt is a five-hour (plus) job by the book. Dealers like to go for £1,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

CFRP has quite a way to go in terms of cheapness, right? There's no special or rare stuff in it, just thread and plastic?

Carbon fiber weave is pretty expensive per yard and aircraft manufacturers use a ton which keeps prices up. The biggest cost with CF is the prep work usually though. With metal you can just press it but CF needs to be laid out, impregananted, and baked for it to do it's poo poo. Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.