Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lone Rogue posted:

For some reason I always thought Hall and Benoit had a Ladder Match after the "Guys who wash your car" comment from Hall to Ric Flair. I guess my memory is busted. I somehow remember a Hall/Benoit match that never existed.

I guess Hall and Bam Bam had a ladder/taser match.

I thought it was Hall?Goldberg who has the stun gun ladder match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Lamuella posted:

I thought it was Hall?Goldberg who has the stun gun ladder match.

Both, actually. Golberg/Hall had one at Souled Out 99, then about a week later Hall/Bam Bam had another one. Which Goldberg interfered in, of course.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

All the discussion of belts the WWE should bring back in this week's thread reminded me of how great the Hardcore title was with the 24/7 rule.

When was the 24/7 rule introduced? And what are some of the better examples of the title changing hands outside of matches? I seem to recall someone winning it by sneaking into the champion's hotel room and pinning him whilst he slept, who/when was that?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
One of my favourite examples of the Hardcore title switch was Hurricane running down the hall with the belt and Mighty Molly slamming the door in his face, winning the title and turning herself heel.

The rule came into effect because the Hardcore champion declared that he would defend the belt anywhere, any time.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
The Hardcore Championship 24/7 rule gave us this Crash Holly video, which made it all worthwhile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aaUzPNvSQ

Also, there was a pretty fun Kane vs Raven vs Big Show match for the title at Wrestlemania X-7

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

Nothing says "hardcore" and "urban" like a fat, rich white dude in a suit & glasses sitting on a couch in an office explaining what "hardcore" and "urban" culture is all about.

take out fat and glasses and you get John Cena!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SnafuAl posted:

All the discussion of belts the WWE should bring back in this week's thread reminded me of how great the Hardcore title was with the 24/7 rule.

When was the 24/7 rule introduced? And what are some of the better examples of the title changing hands outside of matches? I seem to recall someone winning it by sneaking into the champion's hotel room and pinning him whilst he slept, who/when was that?

Crash Holly won the Hardcore title and felt that he could defend it anytime anywhere, so long as the challenger had a referee with them to count the pin/submission. This backfired as every mid-carder tried to take the title from him leading to the 15 minute free-for-all clusterfuck (but in a good way) at WM2000 which Hardcore Holly won, but later that week Crash won it, claiming the rule which he instated was still in affect. The rest is history

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Lamuella posted:

Is there a reason managers don't seem to be used as much in modern wrestling?

In the WWE, the lack of them is a result of too much focus on making people stars by themselves, and this weirdly ingrained belief that the only way that can happen is via making guys into World Title contenders/holders on their own.

It's pretty much the same reason that there's no more tag teams, midcard importance, or outlandish gimmicks. If you want some management, ROH does it fairly well, and so does Chikara.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Writer Cath posted:

One of my favourite examples of the Hardcore title switch was Hurricane running down the hall with the belt and Mighty Molly slamming the door in his face, winning the title and turning herself heel.

Nah, you're mixed up. Christian slammed the door in her face to win it from her, but she did smack the Hurricane in the back of the head with a frying pan while he was doing his super hero pose to win it from him first.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Isn't that pretty accurate to how the business end of hip hop works?

Not really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ColeM posted:

Nah, you're mixed up. Christian slammed the door in her face to win it from her
And then someone snuck up behind Christian when he was getting to his car, whammed him upside the head, 1-2-3, took the belt and stole his car.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Endorph posted:

And then someone snuck up behind Christian when he was getting to his car, whammed him upside the head, 1-2-3, took the belt and stole his car.

and that was Maven... lmao

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Sue Denim posted:

Thirdly he thought that maybe his reluctance to politic may have held him down as he was never one to lobby for himself he just showed up, did what he was told and did the best he could do in the ring when sometimes it seems like a necessity in the WWE.

Over the years I also heard a lot of rumors that Shelton never tried to learn from the veterans or watch other matches, he'd mostly just play video games/ chill out in the locker room.

I want to say I remember an interview Triple H did talking about how a lot of the guys will just read, goof off, or play games in the locker room instead of learning to get better, and Benjamin was one of the guys he insinuated.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

UndergroundHero posted:

Over the years I also heard a lot of rumors that Shelton never tried to learn from the veterans or watch other matches, he'd mostly just play video games/ chill out in the locker room.

I want to say I remember an interview Triple H did talking about how a lot of the guys will just read, goof off, or play games in the locker room instead of learning to get better, and Benjamin was one of the guys he insinuated.

This part is true. It was discussed in the future endeavors thread that all Shelton cared about was the Smackdown vs Raw tournaments being held backstage and he was furious when that video games were banned backstage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ColeM posted:

This part is true. It was discussed in the future endeavors thread that all Shelton cared about was the Smackdown vs Raw tournaments being held backstage and he was furious when that video games were banned backstage.

Really? The wrestlers spent all their time playing a game about themselves? Now I'm picturing Shelton playing career mode as himself aside a packet of Cheetos while the tears of a failed life fall down his cheeks.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
He should be out after a show partying and doing a ton of drugs like real wrestlers. Not spending his downtime playing video games or reading like a nerd.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Sugar Blaster posted:

He should be out after a show partying and doing a ton of drugs like real wrestlers. Not spending his downtime playing video games or reading like a nerd.

The problem wasn't that he did it in his own time; the problem was that he was doing it backstage during shows instead of watching the card and seeing how other wrestlers did things. The mindset (right or wrong) is that when you're on a show, you stay for the whole show and watch the parts that you're not in.

This is also part of the reason Carlito was never really admired by the backstage higher-ups; there was a promo Ric Flair cut on him for leaving during a show that was based on real-life dissatisfaction with him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair to Carlito (why am I being fair to Carlito?), he then cut a really amazing promo the following week that explained in great detail why he didn't give a poo poo for the opinion of the likes of Ric Flair... except he did it in a foreign language.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They would constantly give Shelton high-end talent to work with for a long time and would constantly start and then stop angles with him. He is probably the only guy with no push in history who got a "I'm from the streets" promo video with the idea of making you care about a guy. . . Who was never pushed after like 2005. That he was pissing off people backstage is basically the only rational explanation for his career trajectory, especially since he was an NCAA wrestling guy and NCAA guys almost always get a push just because.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What was the deal with Mordecai? I have a vague memory of the guy being brought in to feud with Undertaker but then disappearing before it started. What happened? Was the guy just a bad worker? Cause it hasn't stopped them before. And did the guy behind the gimmick ever get another chance in WWE?

Also, did Eddie botch his bladejob from JD04? He can't have meant to bleed that much, right?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

Also, did Eddie botch his bladejob from JD04? He can't have meant to bleed that much, right?

Yeah, he dug too deep, much like the dwarves for whom he served.

Then he went into shock, because mother fucker was seein' dwarves and poo poo.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Rarity posted:

What was the deal with Mordecai? I have a vague memory of the guy being brought in to feud with Undertaker but then disappearing before it started. What happened? Was the guy just a bad worker? Cause it hasn't stopped them before. And did the guy behind the gimmick ever get another chance in WWE?
He was Kevin Thorn in ECW. And yeah, Mordecai was dropped because they sent Fertig back down to OVW for more training.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burrito posted:

Yeah, he dug too deep, much like the dwarves for whom he served.

Then he went into shock, because mother fucker was seein' dwarves and poo poo.

But he'd already slain the Balrog three months earlier, the continuity's all off!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sugar Blaster posted:

He was Kevin Thorn in ECW. And yeah, Mordecai was dropped because they sent Fertig back down to OVW for more training.

Was he really that bad? I mean, these are the guys who gave us Heidenreich! Snitsky! Nathan Jones! 10 years of Mark freakin' Henry!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Was he really that bad? I mean, these are the guys who gave us Heidenreich! Snitsky! Nathan Jones! 10 years of Mark freakin' Henry!

Some shoot promos suggested that he hated his gimmick, was very verbal about backstage, and was apparently way too nervous cutting promos in front of crowds. They wanted to shove him into an angle with either Taker and Eddie Guerrero as the last promos were with Mordecai calling him out in one of his last promos.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Some shoot promos suggested that he hated his gimmick, was very verbal about backstage, and was apparently way too nervous cutting promos in front of crowds. They wanted to shove him into an angle with either Taker and Eddie Guerrero as the last promos were with Mordecai calling him out in one of his last promos.

Speaking of which, I tune into Smackdown every week hoping for the eventual debut of Hade Vansen. It's going to happen eventually, right?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sugar Blaster posted:

That first sentence doesn't hold a lot of weight when the criticism you're responding to comes from HHH, who doesn't drink or use recreational drugs. As for the second, as Goog pointed out, Shelton was the only one who saw that as "his downtime." There's a really easy way to show you're interested in improving your work, and that's talking to the guys backstage who can help you with it. That's what frustrated HHH and the higher-ups.

Shelton didn't think he was getting the push he deserved? Maybe he was right. But he had Flair, Anderson, Michaels, 'Taker, Steamboat, Malenko and numerous others in the same arena willing to take a few minutes to talk about anything and everything wrestling-related with anyone who wants to listen and improve, and what did he do? Showed up, played video games until someone told him it was time for his match, then came back and played video games until he left for the hotel.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The saddest thing about Shelton was he was so drat good in the ring, and they seemed to really want to push him. If he had worked backstage, he could have been big.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HHH is also the guy who thinks so many people who don't look a certain way aren't main event material. He also thought that OVW was a bad developmental territory because the people in charge "never drew money." He has a lot of ideas about a lot of things and many are wrong. Shelton is a guy who had a rep for always being a hard worker.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

HHH is also the guy who thinks so many people who don't look a certain way aren't main event material. He also thought that OVW was a bad developmental territory because the people in charge "never drew money." He has a lot of ideas about a lot of things and many are wrong. Shelton is a guy who had a rep for always being a hard worker.

"You don't make a main-eventer by having him beat established stars" ~ Triple H

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I have to believe that Triple H sweats every time he says this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Every time that's quoted Foley sheds a tear.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

this just kills me every time considering that's the only way Triple H ever got over

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

That first sentence doesn't hold a lot of weight when the criticism you're responding to comes from HHH, who doesn't drink or use recreational drugs. As for the second, as Goog pointed out, Shelton was the only one who saw that as "his downtime." There's a really easy way to show you're interested in improving your work, and that's talking to the guys backstage who can help you with it. That's what frustrated HHH and the higher-ups.

Shelton didn't think he was getting the push he deserved? Maybe he was right. But he had Flair, Anderson, Michaels, 'Taker, Steamboat, Malenko and numerous others in the same arena willing to take a few minutes to talk about anything and everything wrestling-related with anyone who wants to listen and improve, and what did he do? Showed up, played video games until someone told him it was time for his match, then came back and played video games until he left for the hotel.

That is a fantastically ignorant couple of paragraphs.

1. We don't know if Shelton asked or did not ask for input
2. Who the gently caress are we to say that Shelton Benjamin, among others, can't relax while waiting to go out and kill themselves for 4-20 minutes? Just because they sat around with their dicks in their hands/fanny packs for 3 hours back when HHH was Terra Ryzing doesn't mean it should always be like that. It's like if HHH chastised someone for having an iPhone because "Back when I was breaking in, we found pay phones to talk to our friends and loved ones!"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I'm not saying HHH is right. Just that if you want to move up, you need HHH and others like him to think you're a hard worker, so you shouldn't put yourself in a position where he's just as likely to think you care more about video games than about learning wrestling. Because if there's one thing this business has taught us, it's that actually being a hard worker can be about the least important part of getting the push you deserve.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yes it must have all been HHH in an entertainment company that would probably have the record for advancing the careers of various major fuckups if not for TNA.

A company that turned Carlito's real life issues into a storyline in a vain effort to do something with the lazy gently caress just looked at Shelton Benjamin (a guy who went over Triple H, who never lets anybody go over you guys!!! three times and got on a million cards with Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels) and said, "No, we draw the line here. We're sick of giving college athletes with great ring potential chances. It's time to be more WCW about this."

But keep marking out over Triple H I guess.

Shelton Benjamin got about fifteen chances to advance in his career. That he was passed over from the get-go is about the most ridiculous misrepresentation of events you could possibly put forward. Assigning it all to Triple H is also stupid ridiculous because almost every main eventer or backstage veteran (Benoit, Michaels, Flair, even Batista etc.) is on the record as saying "Yeah we have a lot of guys that don't give a poo poo right now and it's our major problem at the moment," especially in the time that Shelton was coming up. It works no differently in any other job so I'm not sure why you guys are hung up on someone having it out for Shelton.

WWE has actually fired tons of guys for completely not giving a poo poo and even then they give most guys at least a year or two to float around and maybe become Randy Orton before they pull the trigger. If you want to make this about Triple H yet again, well it's not very difficult to read into you, I'll put it that way.

quote:

This is a really bizarre statement since when you look at the way Triple H has been booked in the last seven years it's clear that he either doesn't believe this or otherwise has no say at all in booking. Take your pick.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Was thinking about Undertaker and the streak, so:

What are the biggest supernatural gimmicks/pushes in TNA? In WCW? Has ROH ever had one?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

Was thinking about Undertaker and the streak, so:

What are the biggest supernatural gimmicks/pushes in TNA? In WCW? Has ROH ever had one?

TNA? Mesias/Abyss/Black Reign/relliK any one James Mitchell managed, Sting has had some kind of Supernatural aspects to him. Sting was also in WCW too. WCW also had Seven...which was a one night thing, but probably cost a poo poo ton of money. For ROH? Closest could be Delirious, but that is more of a mysterious gimmick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

TNA? Mesias/Abyss/Black Reign/relliK any one James Mitchell managed, Sting has had some kind of Supernatural aspects to him. Sting was also in WCW too. WCW also had Seven...which was a one night thing, but probably cost a poo poo ton of money. For ROH? Closest could be Delirious, but that is more of a mysterious gimmick.

Apparently someone has forgotten about the legendary Black Scorpion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Apparently someone has forgotten about the legendary Black Scorpion.

I'm just mad I forgot about Chuckie from Child's Play in WCW.