Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fun Times! posted:

Anyone have good advice for a guy who's never played Sid Meier's Pirates? I played for 20 minutes and wasn't sure how to handle a boat I destroyed. I made it my primary vessel or something and it has poo poo health and no crew! (Starting over)

Unless you get a Ship Of The Line, only ever make sloops, sloops of war and royal sloops your flagships. In a sea battle, you want to get your ship into theirs as fast as possible without inflicting/taking too much damage, so a nippy maneuverable ship is your best bet. Only ever use grapeshot against enemy ships.

I usually take my starting sloop and camp out around some Spanish cities stealing trade galleons until they send a royal sloop out to get me. Don't worry about being outnumbered in sea battles, swordfighting is easy enough that you can be outnumbered 5-1 and still prevail.

For city battles, I usually try and equal or outnumber the opponents forces. Cover is your friend: Stay in the trees until absolutely necessary. That way cavalry are hosed against you and you take way less damage from gunfire. As soon as you have the manpower, start plundering cities. You get tons of cash, the battles are easy if you're sensible and if you install a new governor, that country will love you.

The best tactic to start out is to take a few trading ships, return to your base port and get promoted and repeat, until you are famous and wealthy enough to do whatever you want. I generally try and keep at least one nation on side at all times, just so I have safe havens to go to if I need repairs.

Download a mod to make dancing automatic. Dancing isn't fun or piratical, but it does get you some neat stuff.

Edit: Oh, and if a barman tells you that a ship is carrying a carpenter/cook/whatever, ignore its nationality and attack it. The special crewmembers are really handy, and the odd ship here or there won't make a nation turn against you.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fun Times! posted:

Anyone have good advice for a guy who's never played Sid Meier's Pirates? I played for 20 minutes and wasn't sure how to handle a boat I destroyed. I made it my primary vessel or something and it has poo poo health and no crew! (Starting over)
  • Working for the Spanish isn't worth the effort. They've got the most treasure/ships flowing through the Caribbean and they're almost always at war with one of the other European powers.
  • Seconding the sloop business. If you want to make ca$h money on captured cargo, just commandeer the galleons the loot came in and sell the leaking wrecks to the shipwright.
  • Unless you really need what they hawk, don't buy anything but treasure maps and gift jewelry from mysterious strangers. Dancing nets you the same helpful things.
  • The native charms and the religious artifacts (impress Indians and Jesuits, respectively) are broken and do nothing. Don't bother with those.
  • Yes, you're going to chase down Montalban and the other villains an awful lot. Keep at it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

scamtank posted:

• Working for the Spanish isn't worth the effort. They've got the most treasure/ships flowing through the Caribbean and they're almost always at war with one of the other European powers.

Working for the Spanish can be pretty rewarding, if you go over to the West Indies (The island chain on the Eastern side of the map), you can merrily plunder away and earn Spanish promotions. I usually save this until I'm fully promoted in all the other countries and am just trying to get all the promotions I can before I retire, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it earlier.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Quarex posted:

Also, for the Drakensang: River of Time guy, I finally have the game now that it came out in America, and I can officially say that my assumption-advice seems sound. The mechanics have changed very little, if at all (the advanced character creation system is the only real change it seems).

What's the difficulty like on the game? I'm going to pick it up at some point in the near future, wondering if I should stick with normal or crank it up.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Palleon posted:

I'm about to start playing Jeanne D'Arc, is there anything missable or any tricks that I should really know about before I play?

Remember that you can only move before you attack. None of that Final Fantasy Tactics attack then move stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In regards to Jeanne D'Arc, can someone just give me a quick spoiler on characters I probably shouldn't level because they'll leave the party at some point? These types of games always have those.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In regards to Jeanne D'Arc, can someone just give me a quick spoiler on characters I probably shouldn't level because they'll leave the party at some point? These types of games always have those.

As I recall it has the opposite happen, where you get a character that sucks (Rufus I believe is his name, its the ugly looking dog man) that when leveled up a bit becomes one of the hardest hitting characters in the game due to his crazy stat gains. Ultimately the characters you will end up using are the ones that can transform anyways, but I don't recall there being much of a penalty for leveling a character that you then don't use, since it doesn't take much time to catch up and a lot of the progress can be transferred via the magic/skill equips thing.

This is all from memory from 3 years ago, but long story short, don't worry about it, no one leaves forever (well one does, but is replaced by a character that inherits the old persons stats).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the difficulty like on the game? I'm going to pick it up at some point in the near future, wondering if I should stick with normal or crank it up.

Given my personal quest to use strict non-magic parties in every game, and this being a game where magic is more effective overall, I am probably a bad judge, but until the area where huge packs of wolves and boars suddenly mow you down if you wander there (likely just to stop you from going there too soon), everything feels pretty well balanced. If you were good at the first game you could certainly play on hard at the beginning at least (and you can change it anytime, so why not?).

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
I just started playing Dragon Age since it's a game I really should have played a while back considering my love for Baldur's Gate and BioWare in general. I'm planning on doing all the origin stories, but what are some possibly missable events/items.characters/etc. in the main game? Any other tips that you would think could help a new player are welcome as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

eyebrow posted:

I just started playing Dragon Age since it's a game I really should have played a while back considering my love for Baldur's Gate and BioWare in general. I'm planning on doing all the origin stories, but what are some possibly missable events/items.characters/etc. in the main game? Any other tips that you would think could help a new player are welcome as well.

Don't leave Lothering until you've done everything. That's about it, really. The mage's tower has a dungeon that's filled with permanent stat boosting items but it's a linear, straight forward level. Can't think of much else. The game is generous with backtracking to old areas.

EDIT: I don't know if it was patched but one of the characters in the elven camp has a quest where he asks for wolf pets to woo some girl. I forget the details, but if you say the wrong thing (it basically amounts to calling him a pussy and talking to the girl which fails) the quest remains in your list but can't be completed. If you wait too long to get the pelts then the same thing happens.

There's another bug where talking to Shale at the camp will reset her quest. I don't know if this was ever fixed.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 2, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

eyebrow posted:

There are some very obvious parts where you can permanently loose a party member or two; one is a little less obvious.
Your second rogue will need to be around 50 or higher approval when doing a lot of quests in Demerin.

The other ones are literally things like don't destroy something holy with the nun present.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

eyebrow posted:

There are a couple of quests in the game that need you to collect things. These are a REAL pain if you don't start them early, since you might sell off an item you need or forget to explore a room in a dungeon. So look out for Love Letters (you need 12), Scrolls of Banastor (5), Corpse Galls (9, or 18 for a better reward) and Garnets (10). Remember that if you want to turn in the 18 corpse galls instead of the 9, you can't interact with the chanter at all (even to turn in another quest) until you have 18. If you speak to him with 16 or 17 or 10, he'll just take 9 from you and give you the shittier reward.

I would highly recommend purchasing the Soldier's Peak DLC if you think you're going to play this game for a while. It's a short dungeon quest, but the reward is a chest you can store items in. Also, the chest will upgrade the material tier of anything left in it long enough, so it's a great way to make some cash.

There are 6 glass phylacteries scattered throughout the game world. Each one, when activated, triggers a tough encounter. Finding and activating them all is part of a quest, so keep an eye out to avoid having to retrace your steps.

There is a quest that requires you to go to the woods and fire an arrow as a signal. They might have fixed this, but it would ONLY let my PC interact with the quest area, and I couldn't complete the quest because my PC couldn't use any bows. So if you get this one, finish it early while bows have low attribute requirements.

You can collect two NPCs from Lothering, one from the Circle Tower, one from Orzammar, one from a wilderness encounter, and one from a DLC. Late in the game, you can force a prominent NPC to join your party by conscripting them into the Wardens, but doing so will cause another of your companions to leave out of protest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah, what key is it that highlights everything? I was playing the PC version and didn't find out about this until about 10 hours in which could have saved a ton of backtracking especially in the mage's tower which has about 100 hidden objects.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Astfgl posted:

There are 6 glass phylacteries scattered throughout the game world. Each one, when activated, triggers a tough encounter. Finding and activating them all is part of a quest, so keep an eye out to avoid having to retrace your steps.

One of these, in Denerim, is actually missable since it appears in a semi-random encounter map that you can't revisit after you leave it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

No one leaves permanently, don't worry. Certain characters are forced to be around on some maps, however.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

eyebrow posted:

There are very few games where I will say this: Don't pay too much attention to guides, walkthroughs, etc.. For whatever reason, there is more poo poo advice for DA than most games. Most of it is people getting heated up about totally unnecessary min/maxing strategies.

DA is very forgiving. Pick whatever race/class/origin you prefer and just play the game. The difficulty level is higher than most games (of this type) these days (yay!) but it is not quite Baldur's Gate level. The party AI is about the same as BG!

It is very hard to miss a companion or lose a companion. It is very hard to complete some quests without a guide or paying very close attention to your surroundings (or holding Alt down a lot). However, most quests have fairly nominal rewards so it is not that important to finish them all. Most of your Experience Points come from fighting and completing main quest stages, so missing a few quests is no big deal (and these side quests tend to be the tedious ones). All the best items are sold by vendors or part of the main quest.

Warriors need Dexterity to tank, and enough Strength to wear armor. If you prefer to be a damage dealer then just put a lot of points into Strength. It is hard for any one character to withstand damage early on, but if you give a warrior dexterity and a shield he will eventually be able to avoid most damage.

Rogues need to balance Dexterity and Cunning, with a little Strength (for armor). Cunning is useful mostly for rogue talents/skills. I think a balance between Dexterity and Cunning gives you the best all round rogue, but guides will expound the supposed benefits of extremes. Only the main character can be a rogue who is good at combat and rogue talents/skills, your companions do not get enough points to master both.

Mages need Magic. Try and have a mix of spells. Crown control spells (anything that freezes, paralyzes, sleeps etc.) are very useful.

Don't overdo Willpower and Constitution. It is natural to assume they are useful, but quite often points you place there might be better used elsewhere.

Talk to your companions every so often to see if any new dialogue has opened up. Like with Baldur's Gate, it is fun to mix characters and see what they say to each other. Unlike BG, I don't think any combinations result in losing party members.

Specializations rarely offer more than some flavor. Some are better than others but overall they are not that important. Arcane Warriors are really boring.

There is a lot of advice on what your party "must have" but really all you need is someone who can open locks/disarm traps. A mage who can heal helps a bit. A mage who can cast AOE damage spells helps speed up some of the more tedious areas where you are constantly slowed down by trash mobs.

DA is one game that gives you some important choices. If you have to decide something then do not treat it trivially. Think about it, but do not stress over it. You cannot screw up your game by making the wrong decision.

Like with Baldur's Gate, the toughest fights are usually the optional ones. Depending on what order you do things you could encounter a tough fight at a low level. Just remember that you can always come back later.

Avoid reading about the story. Avoid trying to make the "best" choices. It's a lot more fun if you just play through and see what happens. You can't "lose".

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Three things! (Everything else was good advice!)

Limorkil posted:

It is very hard to miss a companion or lose a companion.

Not true! Sten, Wynn and Zevran are all easy to miss, and with Zevran and Sten if you miss them then they're gone for good. And companions will leave if you do something that pisses them off, even if they're waiting back in camp. So sometimes you won't know how your decision will affect people until you return to camp, and if they're angry enough to leave they will do so immediately and you won't be able to convince them to stay OR unequip them (so they might disappear with some good items if you're not careful).

By and large, though, companions will only leave when you've done something major, which is usually whatever decision you have to make during the culmination of each of the main questlines (Redcliffe, Circle Tower, Sacred Ashes, Orzammar, Dalish Forests, etc.). The minor reputation bonuses and losses you incur don't count for much beyond how talkative the NPC will be in camp.

Limorkil posted:

However, most quests have fairly nominal rewards so it is not that important to finish them all.

This advice is pretty dependent on what style of gamer you are. Dragon Age is entirely scripted--there are no "random" encounters, and once you clear out an area of enemies, it will stay clear for the rest of the game. So there is actually a finite amount of experience (and money, for that matter) to be obtained during the game. If you're like me and you love making obscenely powerful characters, you may want to play meticulously to ensure that you don't miss any quests (and the experience you get from completing them), and to ensure that you kill every monster possible.

If you're less concerned about that stuff, then yeah just play without worrying about it. But as any BG player knows, these games are a grind.

Limorkil posted:

DA is one game that gives you some important choices. If you have to decide something then do not treat it trivially. Think about it, but do not stress over it. You cannot screw up your game by making the wrong decision.

I disagree. Dragon Age is pretty biased in that the "good" playthrough is infinitely more rewarding than the evil playthrough. Making "evil" decisions at critical points won't end the game, but it will severely reduce the content you get to experience. No choice you make can end the game prematurely, but many choices can greatly limit what you see of the story. If you want to see the most of the story, it's best to always opt for the most noble decision, or the decision that involves the most amount of extra work.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
This is a little belated since I've already started the game, but I've run into an odd issue in Deus Ex where I did a secondary objective (save subway hostages) before the primary (clear out terrorists and find Ambrosia) and I think I broke things. I've been trying not to kill anyone but when I get to the primary objective area, allies have killed everyone aboveground, though the mission won't resolve until I go underground where there are still live enemies who I incapacitate. Then when I get back to base I have people alternating between congratulating me for not killing anyone, and berating me for massacring the guys who were actually killed by my allies.

The weirdest part was seeing my character talking like a bloodthirsty maniac to the armory guy, who refused to give me ammo because of my attitude...but then gave me everything anyways :confused:

Does this crop up often? I'm all worried about doing objectives out of order now.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 3, 2011

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Just a small tip for Dragon Age, since I'm playing it at the moment. Some of the dungeons are a painful grind. Get some AOE spells to easily clear them out. I use Blizzard & Thunderstorm & Earthquake. Clears out most trash spawn on Hard difficulty.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Does this crop up often? I'm all worried about doing objectives out of order now.

Deus Ex is, honestly, not all that good at keeping track of how violent you are, and even when it does, it doesn't make much of a difference. It's possible to get the game to misbehave in some weird and hilarious ways but hard to break it entirely. I wouldn't worry about it overmuch.

Biomod (which you should probably be using) makes it a bit more robust, but not a lot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

This is a little belated since I've already started the game, but I've run into an odd issue in Deus Ex where I did a secondary objective (save subway hostages) before the primary (clear out terrorists and find Ambrosia) and I think I broke things. I've been trying not to kill anyone but when I get to the primary objective area, allies have killed everyone aboveground, though the mission won't resolve until I go underground where there are still live enemies who I incapacitate. Then when I get back to base I have people alternating between congratulating me for not killing anyone, and berating me for massacring the guys who were actually killed by my allies.

The weirdest part was seeing my character talking like a bloodthirsty maniac to the armory guy, who refused to give me ammo because of my attitude...but then gave me everything anyways :confused:

Did you kill a lot of people on Liberty Island? If you did, that's probably why it's messed up.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Deus Ex is, honestly, not all that good at keeping track of how violent you are, and even when it does, it doesn't make much of a difference. It's possible to get the game to misbehave in some weird and hilarious ways but hard to break it entirely. I wouldn't worry about it overmuch.

Biomod (which you should probably be using) makes it a bit more robust, but not a lot.

Ah ok, I was worried that it was tabulating death statistics which would be significant in the endgame. Biomod sounds nice too, I'll give it a try.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Wow, it looks like I've been playing Kotor all wrong.

I just started for the first time a few weeks ago with a scoundrel focusing on blasters. Pretty much playing the exact opposite of all the advice given. I'm not finding it too difficult, because I've started relying on force powers like kill and lightning. I just wished I had spent early level feats and skills more judiciously.

I just hope I don't run into late game troubles. But so far I'm doing well. I've cleared 2 of the 4 planets with star maps.

I guess on the next play through, I'll follow the advice and just tear things up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Argon_Sloth posted:

Wow, it looks like I've been playing Kotor all wrong.

I just started for the first time a few weeks ago with a scoundrel focusing on blasters. Pretty much playing the exact opposite of all the advice given. I'm not finding it too difficult, because I've started relying on force powers like kill and lightning. I just wished I had spent early level feats and skills more judiciously.

I just hope I don't run into late game troubles. But so far I'm doing well. I've cleared 2 of the 4 planets with star maps.

I guess on the next play through, I'll follow the advice and just tear things up.

It's really not a tough game except for the end boss which must be fought solo and has an annoying heal mechanic if you didn't learn kill droid. As long as you remember to bring as much healing poo poo as possible then even the most unoptimized character can beat him.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

Astfgl posted:

Three things! (Everything else was good advice!)

Fair points, but it is all subjective. I find it hard to say anything about Dragon Age without people trying to put it on some sort of pedestal, and I do not know why because there is nothing special about it, particularly for someone used to Baldur's Gate. I was comparing to BG1 and BG2 for the sake of the poster.

1. Compared to BG, you really have to not be paying any attention at all to miss a companion. Big guy in a cage, do we release him or not? Hmmm.

2. Compared to BG, you really have to make a key decision to lose a companion. it is not just "if you put X with Y they kill each other". It is more "If you do that thing which is obviously totally against my character then I will leave you. Now choose."

3. Compared to BG, those side quests that are frustrating to complete without a guide to all the locations (the "find x items" quests) are pretty unimportant and will not make any difference to your level at the end of the game. It is true that if you do not go to locations and fight stuff then you will have less xp, but that is not what I meant because that should be obvious. I just mean that searching every location for letter #12 is not usually worth it.

4. I said carefully consider your choices but you cannot screw up the game. The suggestion that one choice is better than another is entirely subjective.

I think too many people miss the point with some games. Dragon Age has its flaws and strengths like any other game. If you play it like an interactive story, spoiler free, then you play to its strengths. If you play it like a min/maxer, "OMG I must resolve every encounter perfectly and get maximum XP/gold/loot" then you miss the point. Effectively, you will make it less enjoyable. Baldur's Gate was more skewed towards encounter resolution and loot. Dragon Age has that stuff but is more skewed towards dialogue (for example: itemization in DA is less important because there are few items that are substantially better than others, and those items are easy to find). Many people try to treat DA like BG and it's not really necessary. They do not compare all that well outside of marketing spiel. DA is much more like Kotor, if anything.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Limorkil posted:

1. Compared to BG, you really have to not be paying any attention at all to miss a companion. Big guy in a cage, do we release him or not? Hmmm.

Yes, this is a minor point in your post, but something that seems particularly interesting about Dragon Age: Origins. The only reason I released Sten was because I found it so fascinating that the game had an unabashed (if somewhat apologetic) murderer as a potentially sympathetic figure. If I had been feeling slightly less "oh, what an intriguing artistic decision!" and more "why would I let the murderer out of the cage?" that day, I would have never known he was a party member. It even seems they made it like this so that people more likely to enjoy the style of play that meshes with Sten's personality are also more likely to let him out of the cage, though this may be an insane path of thinking.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quarex posted:

Yes, this is a minor point in your post, but something that seems particularly interesting about Dragon Age: Origins. The only reason I released Sten was because I found it so fascinating that the game had an unabashed (if somewhat apologetic) murderer as a potentially sympathetic figure. If I had been feeling slightly less "oh, what an intriguing artistic decision!" and more "why would I let the murderer out of the cage?" that day, I would have never known he was a party member. It even seems they made it like this so that people more likely to enjoy the style of play that meshes with Sten's personality are also more likely to let him out of the cage, though this may be an insane path of thinking.

If I didn't know he was a party member ahead of time, I never would've released him.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Limorkil posted:

I think too many people miss the point with some games. Dragon Age has its flaws and strengths like any other game. If you play it like an interactive story, spoiler free, then you play to its strengths. If you play it like a min/maxer, "OMG I must resolve every encounter perfectly and get maximum XP/gold/loot" then you miss the point. Effectively, you will make it less enjoyable. Baldur's Gate was more skewed towards encounter resolution and loot. Dragon Age has that stuff but is more skewed towards dialogue (for example: itemization in DA is less important because there are few items that are substantially better than others, and those items are easy to find). Many people try to treat DA like BG and it's not really necessary. They do not compare all that well outside of marketing spiel. DA is much more like Kotor, if anything.

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong--I loved the game, bought most of the DLCs including Awakenings, and even convinced my friends to play it because of how fun it was. But to me, the strengths of Dragon Age are the combat mechanics, the strategy involved in setting tactics and resolving encounters, being able to obsess over character builds and load-outs, and becoming an unstoppable killing machine by the end. And those are all hallmarks of Baldur's Gate, where the plot was even thinner.

I love a game with a good story, but I thought the story in Dragon Age was poo poo and that the world was derivative and bland (seriously, it's like a dumbed-down, hot-rodded mix of LOTR, WoT, and ASOIAF, but with the worst elements of all three). The NPCs were laughable in how 2D they were, and the "decision" moments were an absolute joke. More importantly, I hate it when supposedly "open-ended" or sandbox games punish you for deviating from an ideal path, and Dragon Age is terribly guilty of this.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
So... I bought Tactics Ogre on PSP. I played a few hours, I just reached the 2nd chapter and I'm struggling against bounty hunters.

Do you have any general tips for the game? I've never played tactical games btw.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Coulis posted:

So... I bought Tactics Ogre on PSP. I played a few hours, I just reached the 2nd chapter and I'm struggling against bounty hunters.

Do you have any general tips for the game? I've never played tactical games btw.
Archers are fantastic. Bows can fire anywhere outside the displayed range, but you're not likely to hit more than 2 extra spaces on level ground. Firing from higher up makes this easier. You can use the Trajectory skill to make learning this much easier. This also works with Lobbers for tossing items. For skills, knockback and strengthen are good places to start. I often field 2 of these.

Enchantress is best used for tossing status changes everywhere. You really need to keep up with magic accuracy boosting skills to make it work well. Denying or delaying enemy actions gives you a big advantage. Give her Meditation and spam it. The only penalty is that it'll make turns come up a tiny bit slower. Look for armor that gives +1 Meditation. Robes and Magus robes do this when upgraded. 1 enchantress is enough. Especially later on.

Rune fencers/valkyries and knights are nice because they're durable and can toss heals when your clerics are too busy or too far away. Speaking of clerics, you always want one. Two for parties over 6 is an easy guideline.

Give Canopus a bow and use him all the time. He's great in his base class. Named characters like that are generally better all around, but you won't be gimping yourself in the least by using generic units.

For actual tactics, you'll learn to prioritize targets. When your archers have a shot at a caster, it's usually a good idea to take it. Gang up on single enemies, attack from behind and try not to let your slower or more vulnerable characters get isolated. For equipment, upgrading is a pain in the rear end because it's so poorly done. So if you can only tolerate a little, always upgrade weapons. Save before trying to bypass the pointless failure chance and save yourself from even more crafting.

A lot of people suggest recruiting hawkmen to use as archers. This isn't a bad idea at all and they even have their own archer class now! So give someone Recruit and Anatomy and keep an eye out for hawkmen with low loyalty if you want any. Press select and check his name to get an idea how he feels, then lower his HP as much as you can before moving next to him and trying to recruit. You can make it a little less painful if you save before trying and reload or use Chariot if it fails. If it does fail, it'll always fail on that attempt no matter how many times you reload. So just reload and try again next round.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quarex posted:

I had no idea what party members you could get but Sten absolutely SCREAMED "recruitable character". There's literally no other reason to release him unless you're playing as a psychopathic criminal.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

I'm about to start the Blade Runner adventure game. I think I read somewhere that the game runs in real time and there is no way to influence or experience every event. Should I just sit back and play at my own pace not worrying about the stuff going on around me? Also, I've never seen the movie.

id107
Aug 1, 2004
put optional title text here

Palleon posted:

I'm about to start playing Jeanne D'Arc, is there anything missable or any tricks that I should really know about before I play?

Give all fruit with permanent boost to Rufus, if you want an unstoppable tank in the endgame.

In some story segments you are forced to use Roger. In one other Jeanne, the please-do-not-look-at-me-or-I'll-die priest, and the goth spearman (and Liane?). So grind these as well.

Other good party members: Collet (fast runner, huge damage dealer in endgame three hitter ) and Marcel (Skydart)

There is at least one miss-able bracelet. It's in level, Reims Cathedral. It is behind the altar.

You need the Hp Recovery II or III gems for every party member (6 or 7 if I remember correctly) when you start attacking Paris. Then you have no need to heal them anymore.

When in trouble grind.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Sentient Toaster posted:

Cool Tips

Cheers man, you made my day ! It will be easier now.

Marcsism
Mar 17, 2009
Just downloaded Beyond Good and Evil HD on XBLA. Tips or suggestions? Pretty sure there are no content changes, just graphics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hussar posted:

I'm about to start the Blade Runner adventure game. I think I read somewhere that the game runs in real time and there is no way to influence or experience every event. Should I just sit back and play at my own pace not worrying about the stuff going on around me? Also, I've never seen the movie.

Unless a patch magically appeared, you will never be able to save a certain character in game. There is a timer set to processor speed and on a modern computer this means insta-fail.

Other than that, know that the actual core plot of the game has variations that occur both because because of player abilities/skills/choices and randomly, pre-game generated outcomes. Take your time and solve the case. Occasionally the game veers into "click every-goddamn thing, yes, even that pathetically tiny pixel that looks boring" but for the most part you should be fine.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Marcsism posted:

Just downloaded Beyond Good and Evil HD on XBLA. Tips or suggestions? Pretty sure there are no content changes, just graphics.

The game is mostly pretty straightforward, there isn't that much you really need to know. A few things that kind of tripped me up:

- People are animals
- In a lot of the stealth sections you can fight the guards instead if sneaking if you want (though in others you'll be insta-killed if seen).
- When using Peyj's bounce attack, look out for extra things you can smash enemies into for loot or to clear obstacles. If you spot something after you've killed all the enemies, you can usually make them respawn by re-entering the area.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Unless a patch magically appeared, you will never be able to save a certain character in game. There is a timer set to processor speed and on a modern computer this means insta-fail.

Other than that, know that the actual core plot of the game has variations that occur both because because of player abilities/skills/choices and randomly, pre-game generated outcomes. Take your time and solve the case. Occasionally the game veers into "click every-goddamn thing, yes, even that pathetically tiny pixel that looks boring" but for the most part you should be fine.

Shame about the processor speed bug, but at least the game installs and runs fine on modern PC's. Hopefully this satisfies my adventure game itch that Broken Sword couldn't.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Any tips for Civilizaton Revolution that aren't on the wiki? I've been doing fine on Chieftain and Warlord difficulty, but once I start playing on King I just can't keep up with the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Marcsism posted:

The stealth system in this game is incredibly simplistic by design, and should be treated more like a puzzle than a Splinter Cell style game. Guard patterns are extremely simplistic to follow, and when you're holding the L-trigger to crouch, enemies will never hear you no matter how close you get to them or how fast you move. All that matters is line of sight.

Also, there is a point of no return. After buying the last hovercraft upgrade, using it will send you to the endgame, so make sure you finish everything you want to do before that.