Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

This. Here in the US this is rather illegal, you aren't allowed to work for free like that.
If you're not an employee, you can do whatever you want and the owner can most certainly accept your work. You're trying to say that essentially being an intern is somehow illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
I hate applying for jobs with lower pay. Sure the job I'm applying for is full-time (I'm currently only part-time), but it pays a few dollars less per hour, and it's still retail.

I just hope I get the data entry jobs I'm applying for - better pay, office environment and best of all it's not retail!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I think even if she got injured somehow she'd never sue. This is her Friend, after all! Can't sue friends! He needs her help, in her words, is all, and what else are friends for?

I just can't wrap my mind around it. Helping a friend pack to move, yes. Leaving your website building and pay job to do it for a week, iffy. Spending almost a month working with stocking, inventory, painting, tiling, remodeling, for free, but because it's for a friend, it's okay? I must be a lovely friend then.

I'll admit part of my wonder is on some jealousy. I barely have spoken to her since before Xmas because of all this, but she's so super excited that the owner has this new spot and it'll be soooo much cooler and she can help paint the characters on the walls and install the shelves and....and I don't get it. She's been working her rear end off with him, or with Friend 2, who needs help packing to move. So between the two, she is averaging probably closer to 70 hours a week. She said she pretty much gets up, goes to the store to work, does help pack afterwards or on weekends, goes to bed, repeat cycle, and has been since before Xmas. For free. At least if she was working for pay she'd have some cash to show for the labor!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sonic Dude posted:

If you're not an employee, you can do whatever you want and the owner can most certainly accept your work. You're trying to say that essentially being an intern is somehow illegal?

From what I gather, interns in the US have a special rule applying to them whereby they can't do any 'real' work, but they can do things not directly relating to the actual business.

So they can do things like data entry or photocopying, but they're not allowed to do things directly relating to the businesses activity (e.g. if it was a retail store they wouldn't be allowed to serve customers at the desk, but they would be allowed to watch a cashier serve the customer). I believe the reason for this is because the law recognises that people do internships for work experience, but businesses would just turn everyone into unpaid interns if they could get away with it.

Don't quote me on this, this is just what I've gathered from friends who've done internships in the US :ohdear:

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 28, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

froglet posted:

I believe the reason for this is because the law recognises that people do internships for work experience, but businesses would just turn everyone into unpaid interns if they could get away with it.

Don't quote me on this, this is just what I've gathered from friends who've done internships in the US :ohdear:

Interns are also usually students where the work hours contribute to class grade. The employer of the intern still has to follow all labor laws (breaks, lunches, etc) in their state with said intern. There are employment contracts drawn up for interns specifying every little detail.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes, the work interns perform is not allowed to significantly help the business. Google any HR blog or resource and they'll say the same thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

This. Here in the US this is rather illegal, you aren't allowed to work for free like that.

Hell, even beyond that, if you have a business and can't afford to pay an employee, you aren't running a good business.

I see a ton of small businesses open and close in my mall, which is great, but most of the time the owner is there working 50+ retail hours a week to save on payroll. Which is respectable, and small business owners in general have a lot on their plate. This friend is basically doing the owner's roll without any of the ownership benefits. If I were her I would consider it ignition believed in the company, but I would drat well get company equity.

threnody_grey
Jun 27, 2010

Robzor McFabulous posted:

There really was nothing worse than telling someone their total, and watching the elderly customer slowly, sloooowly open their bag, lift out a chequebook and then start looking in there for a pen.

A couple of months ago, my grandmother needed some computer repair work done, and I just happened to ride with her when she went to go pick up her desktop. We get there, guy tells her the total and she pulls her checkbook when he tells her that they don't accept checks. She completely ignores him and starts filling out the check, anyway. He repeats the company policy on checks, and I see her getting ready to have a bitchfit over it. So I hand the guy my debit card and tell him to just run that. He does, hands over Grandma's PC, and then I get yelled at in the car about it. Then I had to wait until Monday to go cash the check she wrote me to cover it.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: "If you aren't paying for rent, or aren't mailing your grandchild some dough, gently caress YOU FOR USING A CHECK."

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

At the store I work at, the check processing is way faster than I've seen at other stores, but it's still a pain the rear end.

I actually asked an older couple that insisted on paying this way if they ever considered using a debit/check card, and they gave me this smug laugh and told me that they weren't the suckers that would use that kind of thing. I do not understand this at all. I've used debit cards before, the only danger is overdrawing your account. Why do they think it's a bum deal? Is it because they are old? Can't they read the agreement and see that it's not like an extra dollar gets added with every transaction? I'm drawing a blank

Oh, and by the way highschool girls, you are not the hot poo poo you think you are. You are not some bon vivant, where every word that drips from your mouth is a glittering witticism. Weirdest thing, college boys have been the politest of everyone. Might be because I'm in the South, but there you go.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

SapphireC posted:

I've used debit cards before, the only danger is overdrawing your account.

With a legit Debit card (no visa logo) you can't even overdraft your account, it'll decline the transaction. They're just old.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
My bank even gave me a ledger with my debit card so I can keep track of expenditures exactly like with a check book. There is absolutely no reason to ever not use a card unless the electricity is out in the store or you're in some mom-n-pop run by people who predate Social Security.

There are also just people who think everyone, everywhere is trying to scam them for every last penny. At the gas station I worked in, I actually had an old man come up to prepay for $20 of gas, but then ask me what guarantee he has that I'm not going to steal the remainder of that 20. I had about three cameras and a microphone pointed right at me! The company honestly trusted me with the store's money less than it does the customers. Dude just wanted a receipt, but he asked about it in the most rude way. It makes me wonder if he's ever actually prepaid for gas and when he went to get his change was just met with "nope!"

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

SapphireC posted:

Oh, and by the way highschool girls, you are not the hot poo poo you think you are. You are not some bon vivant, where every word that drips from your mouth is a glittering witticism. Weirdest thing, college boys have been the politest of everyone. Might be because I'm in the South, but there you go.

I've noticed that too, honestly. I'm in the south too- born and raised- and college guys are always "yes sir, no sir" even though I'm probably only 5 years older than them..

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today I got myself another job with another traveling retail company.

Comparatively speaking, I'll be making 1.25 less an hour and 7 dollars less a day for per diem, but at least they'll be giving me work.

Here's hoping to be able to work more then one month out of the year :unsmith:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
When I have nothing to lose, I swear I'm going to blow that stupid grocery store up.
Every single person - EVERY SINGLE PERSON - who came through my line yesterday was on their loving cellphone. That's so loving rude.
I hate people.
I hate everyone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone got fired from the local grocery store for throwing potatoes in people's carts to boost the lovely produce department numbers. :wtc:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone got fired from the local grocery store for throwing potatoes in people's carts to boost the lovely produce department numbers. :wtc:
Wait. Are you saying an employee was sneaking potatoes into unsuspecting shoppers carts, just to look better in sales? That's hilarious! (and also sad) I've been tempted to sneak stuff into other's carts as a shopper (not sure why) but as an employee I wouldn't dream of it!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meow Cadet posted:

Wait. Are you saying an employee was sneaking potatoes into unsuspecting shoppers carts, just to look better in sales? That's hilarious! (and also sad) I've been tempted to sneak stuff into other's carts as a shopper (not sure why) but as an employee I wouldn't dream of it!

Yep, that's exactly what happened. I... don't know how he thought that was a good idea, but whatever.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

silversiren posted:

When I have nothing to lose, I swear I'm going to blow that stupid grocery store up.
Every single person - EVERY SINGLE PERSON - who came through my line yesterday was on their loving cellphone. That's so loving rude.
I hate people.
I hate everyone.

I make it a point to talk to the people when they do that. I had a guy who barely spoke English on his cell phone trying to figure out the credit card machine today. I tried to "talk him through it" to be snarky while he was on the phone. I'd put up a sign asking people not to do it if the company would let me. The local Chick-fil-a has one on their drive thru speaker.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

TShields posted:

I make it a point to talk to the people when they do that. I had a guy who barely spoke English on his cell phone trying to figure out the credit card machine today. I tried to "talk him through it" to be snarky while he was on the phone. I'd put up a sign asking people not to do it if the company would let me. The local Chick-fil-a has one on their drive thru speaker.
I loved talking to them as though there was no cell phone stapled to their ear. They'd get so frustrated. It brought a little joy to my black, shriveled heart.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I had a lady come in today and try to purchase several pay-as-you-go phones but she wanted them tax free because "they were for her business" and she produced this form:

The first thing I noticed is that it says "This permit must be prominently displayed in your place of business." which to me indicated it was not meant to be used in this manner. Second, the name on it was "Mohammad A Mohammad" and I don't remember seeing a business name.

Luckily the store manager was just an aisle away and I called for her help using her name and not indicating she was the store manager. She flat out told the woman no and the woman was like "I do this all the time!" and "I've never had a problem before!" but the store manager knows her poo poo and explained why it wasn't being done. Then the woman was like "I'll just go to guest services, they'll do it for me there" :smug:

After the woman left, the store manager called on the walkie to guest services and told them to deny it. It made me happy :unsmith:

My theory is that she was buying them to sell them at a mall kiosk since they were on sale and she wanted a lot of them. This kind of thing has happened before but we've never had someone try and get them tax free by presenting their business permit.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

SpartanIV posted:

So I had a lady come in today and try to purchase several pay-as-you-go phones but she wanted them tax free because "they were for her business" and she produced this form:

The first thing I noticed is that it says "This permit must be prominently displayed in your place of business." which to me indicated it was not meant to be used in this manner. Second, the name on it was "Mohammad A Mohammad" and I don't remember seeing a business name.

Not to mention the line that says:
Merchants: DO NOT accept a copy of this permit in place of a resale or exemption certificate.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

SpartanIV posted:

Luckily the store manager was just an aisle away and I called for her help using her name and not indicating she was the store manager. She flat out told the woman no and the woman was like "I do this all the time!" and "I've never had a problem before!" but the store manager knows her poo poo and explained why it wasn't being done. Then the woman was like "I'll just go to guest services, they'll do it for me there" :smug:

After the woman left, the store manager called on the walkie to guest services and told them to deny it. It made me happy :unsmith:

My theory is that she was buying them to sell them at a mall kiosk since they were on sale and she wanted a lot of them. This kind of thing has happened before but we've never had someone try and get them tax free by presenting their business permit.

Hmmm, we have people buy stuff tax free all the time at my store, but no one has ever tried to use a document for proof. All we ask for is a tax exempt ID, and a little paperwork. I know things vary from state to state, but I'm not convinced that your customer was doing anything wrong. At least in my state, you CAN buy things tax free, if you are going to resell them in a place of business.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, the work interns perform is not allowed to significantly help the business. Google any HR blog or resource and they'll say the same thing.
This is like the dumbest rule though. First, nobody follows it, and everyone knows nobody follows it; why would a business hire an intern if they weren't going to help the business? Second, how can a student learn things that are useful, except by doing things that help the business? Is learning things that aren't useful to the business what students are aiming for? Of course not, they want marketable skills.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

This is like the dumbest rule though. First, nobody follows it, and everyone knows nobody follows it; why would a business hire an intern if they weren't going to help the business? Second, how can a student learn things that are useful, except by doing things that help the business? Is learning things that aren't useful to the business what students are aiming for? Of course not, they want marketable skills.

And you've just come to why the vast majority of unpaid internships are total and completely illegal. If a business wants labor they need to pay for it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Meow Cadet posted:

Hmmm, we have people buy stuff tax free all the time at my store, but no one has ever tried to use a document for proof. All we ask for is a tax exempt ID, and a little paperwork. I know things vary from state to state, but I'm not convinced that your customer was doing anything wrong. At least in my state, you CAN buy things tax free, if you are going to resell them in a place of business.

It has something to do with how that business permit says "Merchants: DO NOT accept a copy of this permit in place of a resale or exemption certificate."

This is just the certificate that tells people "these guys are allowed to do business in the State of Texas." There are separate forms and application processes, etc, for various sales-tax-free statuses.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

It has something to do with how that business permit says "Merchants: DO NOT accept a copy of this permit in place of a resale or exemption certificate."

This is just the certificate that tells people "these guys are allowed to do business in the State of Texas." There are separate forms and application processes, etc, for various sales-tax-free statuses.
That's exactly it. The form shown demonstrates that a business is licensed to collect sales/use tax on behalf of the state. It doesn't mean that everything the business purchases is tax-free, because sales tax has to be charged to someone at some point. Every time I buy something to resell, I have to fill out a "Blanket Certificate of Exemption" saying that my use of the product qualifies me to not pay sales tax, therefore passing the obligation to pay that percentage onto the next guy (who can fill out his own exemption form if he's authorized to charge the next person tax, and so on). If I buy a hard drive to resell, I don't pay tax. If I buy a hard drive to use in the office, I pay tax.

Even then, the woman's story about needing them for her business were true, it probably would still be taxable. Unless she was buying them for resale (in which case there would be another form to fill out, which was probably even easier to do than pulling the permit off the wall).

(Can you tell I've just had to train several people in when to allow people to make tax-exempt purchases?)

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Goddamnit, I have a nice new Goon-edited and approved resume, bright shiny new references, and a good background and education. Why the gently caress won't the phone ring?! :bang:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A couple of guys who have been hired sometime after I did are now getting promoted to servers. I'm quite certain now that the managers telling me I don't have to be a shift leader before getting that promotion was a loving lie. I'm seriously working harder than almost everyone else here, but they don't give a poo poo because again, I'm not a shift leader and I don't demonstrate amazing abilities in loving standing around half the time doing nothing while pretending to be competent the other.

A friend of my parents is now going about making my resume look good despite my absolute lack of any credentials, hopefully I might find something out of the range of retail at some point, and that pays well enough with consistent hours. My sister works as an insurance claims agent, and I honestly don't care how early I'd be waking up, at least I'd have a simple weekday schedule, rather than never getting a single weekend to hang out with friends. I'm done with theater work, no matter what the benefits are.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Dilbert principle:

1. People who are good at their jobs and don't make a lot of noise don't get promotions, because then who would do all the work?
2. People who are poo poo at their jobs are hard to fire, it's easier to give them promotions so they stop messing all of the actual work up.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
I'm very close to landing a $40k job in finance, just waiting on them to call my referees and run a police check and I should then in theory be sent an offer.
Please let this happen so I don't have to move a single box of cereal past a barcode scanner again in my life.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Dog Blogs Man posted:

I'm very close to landing a $40k job in finance, just waiting on them to call my referees and run a police check and I should then in theory be sent an offer.
Please let this happen so I don't have to move a single box of cereal past a barcode scanner again in my life.

Hopefully you proofread your application more carefully than this post.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
Referee is a fairly acceptable word in Australia where I'm from, not a typo.

A reference is the document they write about you.

edit: I may be wrong but I went through past emails and other people have used the word referee in emails to me without me using it first, so its not just me

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TShields posted:

Goddamnit, I have a nice new Goon-edited and approved resume, bright shiny new references, and a good background and education. Why the gently caress won't the phone ring?! :bang:

Because you should be calling them back first? It varies job to job, but pretty much every job I have ever gotten has been through either a reference or me calling them first. It takes practice to learn when to and not to call back, and how to talk through it, but trust me, you want to call most of these bastards back.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Dog Blogs Man posted:

Referee is a fairly acceptable word in Australia where I'm from, not a typo.

A reference is the document they write about you.

Yup, perfectly acceptable here in the UK too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I don't doubt it's usage but it makes no sense. Shouldn't the person who's making the reference be the referrer and the one receiving the reference be the referree?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Sonic Dude posted:

I loved talking to them as though there was no cell phone stapled to their ear. They'd get so frustrated. It brought a little joy to my black, shriveled heart.

Maybe I should try this instead of not acknowledging them at all. Wahahaa.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
I've been unemployed for 2 years, with a smattering of service jobs picked up here and there, no one wants to hire me in spite of my decent experience; gently caress it, I'm starting my own thing.

Bolster your own paycheque, goons.

Scott Adams of Dilbert Fame posted:

Bad Leadership Spurs Entrepreneurship

[After college], I got a job with a large bank.

Though most of my immediate bosses were entirely reasonable and competent, the organization at large was riddled with hamster-brained sociopaths in leadership roles. Surely, I thought, this must be a problem that exists no place else on Earth. Otherwise we'd all be living in caves and holding long meetings on the feasibility of using sticks as stabby things.

Woman.conf_table.alone One day, a position opened above me, and I was the most obvious candidate to fill it. My boss called me into her office and said she had some bad news. She explained that the media was giving our company a lot of heat because almost all of our managers and executives were white males. Promoting me, she explained, would only make things worse. I asked how long I might need to wait for all of this to blow over. My boss was vague, but she said the timeline involved smoothing out the effects of two centuries of corporate discrimination.

I decided to jump ship and go where my talent and hard work would be rewarded. I took a job at the local phone company and soon discovered, to my horror, that banking was not the only industry in the world managed by hamster-brained sociopaths. Once again, my immediate bosses were quite capable, but interacting with other departments was like being the last human in Zombieville and trying to buy groceries at dusk. Still, it was marginally better than shoveling manure, so I doubled down. I finished my MBA classes at night and distinguished myself as an up-and-comer.

Dilbert One day my boss called me into his office and explained that the media was giving the phone company a lot of heat because almost all of the managers and executives were white males. So, he explained, promoting me would only make things worse. You might say that was the day that the "Dilbert" comic strip was born, although I had not yet drawn one. Let's call it a tipping point. From that day on, I considered myself an entrepreneur. All I had to do was figure out what business I was in. The phone company was willing to pay for almost any sort of semi-relevant training or education that I was willing to endure. It was like an accidental school for entrepreneurs. From an economic viewpoint, I was in exactly the right place, with exactly the right amount of career discomfort.

I wasn't suffering alone. Many of my co-workers already had active side businesses and ambitious expansion plans.

Our system requires a continuous supply of highly capable people who are so disgruntled with their jobs that they are willing to chew off their own arms to escape their bosses. The economy needs hamster-brained sociopaths in management to drive down the opportunity cost of entrepreneurship. Luckily, we're blessed with an ample supply.

To put it in plainer terms: The primary purpose of management is to kill any hope that staying in your current job will work out for you. That sort of hope is like gravel in the engine of progress. The economy needs workers who are fed up, desperate and willing to quit their jobs for something better. Remember, only quitters can be winners, because you can't do something great until first you quit doing something that isn't.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

greazeball posted:

I don't doubt it's usage but it makes no sense. Shouldn't the person who's making the reference be the referrer and the one receiving the reference be the referree?

Fairly sure someone who makes a referral is a referrer. There's no such word as referree, so far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Fairly sure someone who makes a referral is a referrer. There's no such word as referree, so far as I'm aware.

I think this may be a US vs UK/Australia issue. Over here, referee is definitely a word and Dog Blogs Man was correct in his usage.

referee [ˌrɛfəˈriː]
n
1. a person to whom reference is made, esp for an opinion, information, or a decision
3. a person who is willing to testify to the character or capabilities of someone
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/referee