Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

If you will not allow me the option of challenging you to an honorable Trial of Possession, I must pass this reward to whoever you would choose as second place. There will be other challenges I will win at more appropriate times, I am certain. In addition, the glory is in the victory and not the reward, quiaff?

That would be permissable, provided we can find the time (and you honor Zell this time!) I do have tomorrow off, fortunately, which means I'll get to do a test run of a MegaMek update as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mukaikubo posted:

What is an honorable player to do? Clearly, I should not bid myself an extra light mech, as that would be strange and odd to be controlling multiple mechs at once- not to mention vaguely distasteful, since this was the bid force. Similarly, resorting to cowardly area-effect weapons would leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth, as well as being a distinctly cowardly weapon.
Technically, the CO bid all the mixed forces guarding the planet. The clan commander would have no one to blame but herself (or her recon force) if extra 'mechs, fighers, or artillery showed up now, considering that this particular match-up is essentially random. I mean it's not that random, since both leaders have shown up near an extremely important control point, but this particular set of 'mechs weren't bid against each other in a vacuum.

Maybe you could designate a second to command the light 'mech, if you didn't want to control two.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would be permissable, provided we can find the time (and you honor Zell this time!) I do have tomorrow off, fortunately, which means I'll get to do a test run of a MegaMek update as well.

Bargained well and done, then. I look forward to the duel and to any hints of test runs for Megamek updates. I'll be on most of the day tomorrow myself and hanging around in IRC.

As for zellbrigen, I have no idea whatever you could possibly be talking about or insinuating about our past fight. Excuse me while I buff out the suspiciously-shaped dents in the foot armor of this Timber Wolf. :ninja:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 27, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

Excuse me while I buff out the suspiciously-shaped dents in the foot armor of this Mad Cat. :ninja:

Sure are a lot of exceptionally solid foot-height rocks around here. Probably what caused that. :downs:

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

EB it is, would you like the fighter to turn up immediately, or in a turn or two?
Ideally I'd like it to turn up around the time shots start to be fired between the two forces. I imagine that that'd be the start of the next turn, but who knows!

Honourable (or not?) Mechwarrior duels are a spectator sport, after all!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mastigophoran posted:

Ideally I'd like it to turn up around the time shots start to be fired between the two forces. I imagine that that'd be the start of the next turn, but who knows!

Honourable (or not?) Mechwarrior duels are a spectator sport, after all!

Will do.

Also, heh... someone just got saved by a hill.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Will do.

Also, heh... someone just got saved by a hill.

Well, that sounds both disheartening and promising at the same time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 3

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B3 Unknown Heavy 1
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault
B2 Unknown Medium 2 jumps 6 to 1014

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops fires LRM 10 at B2 Unknown Medium (4 base + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 8): rolled 11, 8 missiles hit right arm (11/16 armor remains), center torso (21/24 armor remains)!
L* Cyclops gains 5 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 0!

L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1610 with LRM 15 (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 3): rolled 9, hits! Needs 9+ to start a fire, rolled 5! No fire started!
L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1610 with Large Laser (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 3): rolled 5, hits! Needs 7+ to start a fire, rolled 9! Fire started!
L2 Zeus gains 14 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

L3 Banshee fires PPC at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 10, hit left torso (4/14 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee fires PPC at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 9, miss!
L3 Banshee fires Autocannon/10 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 4, miss!
L3 Banshee gains 24 heat, sinks 21! Now at Overheat 3!

L4 Wolfhound holds fire!
L4 Wolfhound gains 0 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 0!

T1 Rommel Tank holds fire!

B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 7, hit right torso (20/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 5, hit right arm (11/21 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra gains 21 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 8, miss!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 10, hit right torso (13/20 armor remains)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 3, miss!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 9, hit right leg (damage absorbed by hill)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 7, miss!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 gains 36 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 2!

End Phase
Friendly Fighter Flyover (Turn 1/5)

Physical Combat Phase:
None

End Phase:
None

“To the ‘Mechwarrior in the Cyclops,” A new Clan voice called. “I have you in my sights—”

“Where is he?” Rossi demanded, and Samantha cursed—the only ‘Mech not hidden behind the bulk of the spaceport was the little medium harassing Kempner’s Banshee. “Nothing on sensors, active or passive! Sir, I don’t—”

“—as I watch you from my perch atop the spaceport!” Sam cursed, then remotely tapped into the Colonel’s cameras. There, plain as day, a stooped little ‘Mech was leaning over the edge of the spaceport like a gigantic crow. Its legs did little to disabuse her of the comparison, it was a retrograde chicken walker that drew unfavorable comparisons in her mind with the Locust. Each of the ‘Mech’s arms ended in a blocky collection of lasers that would have reminded her of a marauder were they not capped by a tiny battle fist.

Samantha blinked, that was a ‘Mech? It was tiny, how did you even cram a fusion engine into something that small? She almost felt sorry for the Clan pilot but instead let herself imagine that the unknown ‘Mech’s low profile made it hard to spot. An advantage, if these Clanners ever stopped playing and started fighting for real.

“I, ‘Mechwarrior Knox of Clan Steel Viper, challenge the pilot of the Cyclops to a test of warriors! Since I have you at a clear disadvantage, I will do battle with only half my armament!”

“A meaningless concession and a poor bid,” Star Colonel Dusk called, her tone critical. “Specify which half, ‘Mechwarrior, or I shall make you wish you had never left your sibko!”

The ‘Mech paused, then flexed its right arm. “I shall battle only with my right arm.” The left twisted, curled behind the little machine’s back—a display of skill that Samantha would’ve considered impossible had she not just seen it done. Unimpressed, Rossi let his LRMs reply for him—-She was certain that he had a range and firepower advantage, no matter how many medium lasers the little…

Six beams, tightly focused and barely visible spat from the ‘Mech’s arm. The Colonel’s Cyclops rocked, armor flowing on its chest and dirt flying from several near misses. The Colonel cursed, but Samantha felt a flood of relief—the long range of the shot had surely saved the Colonel a severe beating from a barrage like that.

Still, that little ‘Mech’s pilot had to be baking after a barrage like that—and that was half his armament? Sam toggled over to thermals for a quick inspection. “Motherfucker! Colonel, that little bastard is running cold as a river on Tharkad!”

“I can see that, Lieutnant,” the Colonel replied, chiding her lack of comm. discipline. It seemed like he would’ve liked to say more, but Kempner cut in.

“Sweet Jesus, this little bastard is packing heavy beamers—but they flicker like they’re broken and hit like a goddamned PPC!”

“Where’re the other ones, Sam? The big ones?” Rick asked. He had every right to be a little paranoid—his little Wolfhound wouldn’t last ten seconds against firepower like this.

“I’m vectoring in a spotter,” she replied, slipping back into the casual calm of a professional. “They’ve got something that interferes with our sensors. Switch your secondary monitors to Tac-355 for our orbiter’s camera data.”

Enemy Forces / Turn 0 movement!
B1 Unknown Medium 1 : Runs 4 to 0217!
B2 Unknown Medium 2: Waiting to Move!
B3 Unknown Heavy 1: Waiting to Move!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2: Remains Stationary!
B5 Unknown Heavy 3: Remains Stationary!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Waiting to Move!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (2/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous end position will be in black, current position will be in green!
Map Note: A height 1 tunnel extends from hex 0912 to 1213. It is large enough to accommodate the Rommel, but not large enough for a Battlemech. Due to heat concerns, the Rommel may not fire its weapons while within the tunnel.
Special Guest Note: Tank front arc is the triangle.

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 30/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 13/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
RA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 7, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 20, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Weight: 95 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 30/30 (20/20)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 40/40 (30/30)
CT R A(S): 17/17
RT A(S): 20/30 (20/20)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 21/21 (16/16)
RA A(S): 11/21 (16/16)
LL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
RL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
Heat: 3/30
Heat Sinks: 21
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior Name: Staff Sergeant Major Gerhart von Kempner
Mechwarrior Player: Angry_Ed
Armament:
Autocannon/10 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – LA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
LT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
LL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Richard Hunter
Mechwarrior Player: Spencerb
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – CT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Left A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 4/6 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Tank Crew Twelve: Sergeant Bonnie Hammer, Private Sarah Montesquieu, PFC John Blucher
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That seems like a pretty.....okay round for the goons. Though now that I see what the Clanners are packing, it looks like it is going to end in tears.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
One turn down. About 12 more to go.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is there any chance the Banshee can get behind some partial cover to protect its legs? I think that would really put things in it's favor.

Also, if I may: that Zeus doesn't have enough LRM ammo to waste it trying to start fires on a 9 or higher. Use your laser for that.

And I think the Cyclops' best move is to try to get to medium AC/20 range and hope to make some big holes, because an LRM-10 is no match for six large lasers (think of a cERML as a large laser. Makes you take them real serious).

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 27, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

“—as I watch you from my perch atop the spaceport!” Sam cursed, then remotely tapped into the Colonel’s cameras. There, plain as day, a stooped little ‘Mech was leaning over the edge of the spaceport like a gigantic crow. Its legs did little to disabuse her of the comparison, it was a retrograde chicken walker that drew unfavorable comparisons in her mind with the Locust. Each of the ‘Mech’s arms ended in a blocky collection of lasers that would have reminded her of a marauder were they not capped by a tiny battle fist.

Samantha blinked, that was a ‘Mech? It was tiny, how did you even cram a fusion engine into something that small? She almost felt sorry for the Clan pilot but instead let herself imagine that the unknown ‘Mech’s low profile made it hard to spot. An advantage, if these Clanners ever stopped playing and started fighting for real.

I guessed right this time. It's a Nova. This will get painful. :suspense:

V V V V V V V Like I said, a Nova.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 27, 2011

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

What the hell packs 6 ER Medium Lasers in one arm? :gonk:

Edit: Woops. That answers that. Thanks! ^^^

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If tanks aren't covered by zell, will they trigger a grand melee if they interfere in a duel? If not, our little Rommel buddy should start delivering facefulls of AC/20.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The sergeant didn't seem to recognize the large pulse lasers. Does the IS not have pulse lasers in this time period or something?

Or was he just surprised by how hard they hit?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Defiance Industries posted:

Is there any chance the Banshee can get behind some partial cover to protect its legs? I think that would really put things in it's favor.

Also, if I may: that Zeus doesn't have enough LRM ammo to waste it trying to start fires on a 9 or higher. Use your laser for that.

I don't figure my odds of living long enough to use 8 salvoes worth of LRMs are much worth worrying about, honestly. :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Of course it was a Nova. Everybody who knows me knows I always pilot Novas. My beloved Chicken Walker of Doom.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

The sergeant didn't seem to recognize the large pulse lasers. Does the IS not have pulse lasers in this time period or something?

Or was he just surprised by how hard they hit?

The last pulse laser factory in the IS was destroyed almost 120 years ago

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Any objections to the tank rolling up on that Nova and lighting it up?

I hate those motherfuckers.

I'd say he was going for that little lake, but with only half his armament he'll probably stay mobile.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

You know, that's not much of a down-bid, since the Nova can't fire much more than 6 ERMLs a round. 36 heat dissipation, 5 heat per ERML, so it can basically handle 8 or so, rather than its 12 ERMLs. Watch this guy, he seems pretty smart.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

raverrn posted:

Any objections to the tank rolling up on that Nova and lighting it up?

I hate those motherfuckers.

Wait till the Cyclops can join in. You hit the same place and it is gone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

You know, that's not much of a down-bid, since the Nova can't fire much more than 6 ERMLs a round. 36 heat dissipation, 5 heat per ERML, so it can basically handle 8 or so, rather than its 12 ERMLs. Watch this guy, he seems pretty smart.

But, as the Nova has no ammo and dissipates 34 heat per turn, he can safely and reliably alpha-strike every other turn, then spend a turn shut down and venting all his heat. Firing half the armament is more consistent, especially if it's jumping around, but he's passing up on the option to do 70 damage as a last push to finish someone off. It's a bigger concession than it seems.

VVV That too. He can't turn around and say "Welp, I lost my right arm. I guess I'll start using my left" without a major loss of honor (They don't keep score, but it DOES go into his Codex as a failure, and that's pretty much a death sentence for his career).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 27, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

He sacrificed all his redundancy. If he loses his right arm he will be forced to request hegira, as he has no other weapons he can use.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

He sacrificed all his redundancy. If he loses his right arm he will be forced to request hegira, as he has no other weapons he can use.
What is the honourable response to having no weapons left to fight with, either through destruction or not bidding them?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Wait till the Cyclops can join in. You hit the same place and it is gone.

I've got 20 shells and there's a 'mech within medium range. What's there to lose?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I've been looking at the battle values for mechs on the wiki. A Nova has a signiicantly higher battle value than an Atlas. :gonk:

Perhaps I'm not interpreting the values right, but that frightens me. I know Clan tech is much better than 3025-era IS tech, but I didn't know exactly how much.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

raverrn posted:

I've got 20 shells and there's a 'mech within medium range. What's there to lose?

Breaking Zellbrigen and then allowing the Clan mechs to focus fire?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Revenant Threshold posted:

What is the honourable response to having no weapons left to fight with, either through destruction or not bidding them?

He's allowed to kick, but he bid away the use of his left arm (for this fight. He'd be allowed to fire his left-arm weapons at the tank).

Alternatively, he could go prone in an adjacent hex and try to kill you with his jump jets.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 27, 2011

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The idea of a pissed off clanner running around kicking 'mech shin with a perfectly serviceable armload of lasers is hilarious.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

If you have no weapons left to fire, you basically have two options: One, you can admit defeat and request Hegira, which is an honorable withdrawl. Depending on the situation, the enemy may claim you as a bondsman in that case.

Second, you can move into melee combat. This is nearly a death sentence for a clan pilot, but if they lost all their weapons but which to continue fighting, they can do so with physical combat. It is also the ONLY time they can use physical combat without losing honor.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taking a Clanner as a prisoner would blow poo poo wide open.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, I didn't expect the Clans to have this much technical superiority. Those mediums are packing as much firepower as a mid-range Inner Sphere assault mech. Seems like one of the clan's less obvious but still very important advantages is that their mechs are set up to do things well. Inner Sphere mechs from this time period seem to kinda suck at every role they're put in, except for the odd master design or Star League era mech.

I mean stuff like having a mech that is clearly based around a PPC have four medium lasers, two of which face backwards, and an SRM system as its other armament. It should be obvious that a large laser and LRM system would make a lot more sense. They're just poorly designed and configured.

I was going to start typing something about how the autocannon rules are completely insane when you compare them to how ballistic weapons actually behave, but I remembered I shouldn't apply any sort of real-world knowledge or logic to BattleTech.

The point, anyway, is that the Clan mechs seem to have been designed with a purpose in mind. The Inner Sphere may claim to be all about combined arms but most of their mechs seem to sacrifice competence in a clear battlefield role for mediocrity in a variety of situations. This is probably why designs that seem marginal on paper like the Hunchback or Rifleman are actually so popular, because they are actually set up to do something well. So the Clans seem to have an advantage that goes above and beyond the ability to stick 12 heavy lasers onto a 50 ton chassis -- they have the foresight to realize the benefits of sticking 12 heavy lasers and nothing else on that platform outweighs the potential downsides of a homogeneous armament. Inner Sphere techs would want to make sure that some of those lasers were mounted in the chest, and that a couple of them faced backward, and then decide to remove 8 lasers so they could add a couple AC/2s and an SRM system.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 27, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You really gotta account for how much double heat sinks change the game. It's not just extra sinks that you add at weight that sink more, it's the ten free ones that don't weigh anything built into the engine, too. Take, for example, the TDR-5SS Thunderbolt. It spends eleven tons of weight on heat sinks. If you did nothing but switch it to double heat sinks, you would get back ten tons and sink one MORE point of heat.

Honestly, not all IS1 mechs are totally retarded. There's quite a few really good ones out there, it's just that a lot of them are limited by the tech base as to their options and you need to use them together to their best effect. Alone, an Enforcer or a Dervish aren't that great, but together they are one hell of a team.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I didn't expect the Clans to have this much technical superiority. Those mediums are packing as much firepower as a mid-range Inner Sphere assault mech. Seems like one of the clan's less obvious but still very important advantages is that their mechs are set up to do things well. Inner Sphere mechs from this time period seem to kinda suck at every role they're put in, except for the odd master design or Star League era mech.

I mean stuff like having a mech that is clearly based around a PPC have four medium lasers, two of which face backwards, and an SRM system as its other armament. It should be obvious that a large laser and LRM system would make a lot more sense. They're just poorly designed and configured.

I was going to start typing something about how the autocannon rules are completely insane when you compare them to how ballistic weapons actually behave, but I remembered I shouldn't apply any sort of real-world knowledge or logic to BattleTech.

The point, anyway, is that the Clan mechs seem to have been designed with a purpose in mind. The Inner Sphere may claim to be all about combined arms but most of their mechs seem to sacrifice competence in a clear battlefield role for mediocrity in a variety of situations. This is probably why designs that seem marginal on paper like the Hunchback or Rifleman are actually so popular, because they are actually set up to do something well. So the Clans seem to have an advantage that goes above and beyond the ability to stick 12 heavy lasers onto a 50 ton chassis -- they have the foresight to realize the benefits of sticking 12 heavy lasers and nothing else on that platform outweighs the potential downsides of a homogeneous armament. Inner Sphere techs would want to make sure that some of those lasers were mounted in the chest, and that a couple of them faced backward, and then decide to remove 8 lasers so they could add a couple AC/2s and an SRM system.

It also doesn't hurt that those particular lasers are really, really, really good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always loved the Black Hawk/Nova in one of the older Mechwarrior games. Possibly 3? It wasn't 4, so it was either one of the iterations of 2, or more likely 3.

It's like the death of a thousand cuts, except with chainsaws.

And purely out of curiosity, not as a complaint regardless of the answer, but was the "I bid my right arm" thing Knox's idea? Kind of a funny, :smug: idea when he picked what mech to change to if so. Very Steel Viper.

Also, love the guy starting fires. :golfclap:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

“A meaningless concession and a poor bid,” Star Colonel Dusk called, her tone critical. “Specify which half, ‘Mechwarrior, or I shall make you wish you had never left your sibko!”

Rather enjoying this Dusk woman already. I'll have to agree that the Nova has a pretty strong advantage, but most of that only lasts until it loses initiative and the Cyclops can get up to smashing range. The AC/20 should be able to do a real number on it almost no matter where it hits, but with the Nova able to jump 5, getting decent to-hits could be an issue. And, 6 cERMLas...

Zaodai posted:

Also, love the guy starting fires. :golfclap:

If it's not on fire...it should be on fire.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Folks, now you see just why people familiar with the game and friendly to the players are freaking out. Think of this as the difference between 2011 America and 1939 Japan.

(Hint: in this case, the bad guys are America.)

Not only do the clans have an absolutely crushing technological advantage - think of them as being two technology levels removed from IS level 1 - because you have IS Level 2, and then Clan - but they have a massive numbers and weight advantage.

To put this in perspective, that Nova's pilot bid away half of his armament because he feels reasonably certain he can kill a Cyclops with only the guns on his right arm. He is not wrong.

Unless PTN has a lot - and I do mean a lot - of Deus ex Machina up his sleeve, this fight is going to be a curb-stomp battle not in the player's favor.

And by an appropriate amount of Deus ex Machina, we're talking about a full company of Star League-era Royals showing up. That's about what it would take to turn this into a fair fight.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm the pilot of the Wolfhound.

What should I do?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Spencerb posted:

What should I do?

Crawl into the tunnel (praying to random deity that there are no RETRACTED in it), turn off your reactor and hope that they won't find you (, they will).

Other than that? Try to manoeuvre for back shots and kicking the legs off of them I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
OK, so what kind of kitbashed Black Hawk/Nova is this that walks and jumps 6? Some kind of special Mechwarrior ability? Little confused.

Spencerb posted:

What should I do?

Run for your life.

Alternately, run north, hope someone spots you and challenges you, then knife-fight them with the smoke and woods up north as cover. If it gets too hot there, literally and figuratively, run around the Union dropship in frantic circles.

• Locked thread