Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

al-azad posted:

When's the point of no return in Mass Effect 2? I finished Horizon, a few pointless "kill Blue Suns" side quests later and now I'm being sent to a disabled collector ship. I know after a certain point when your crew is kidnapped that any dilly-dallying is punished but there's still a butt ton of content I haven't even touched yet. Is the game really on a timed spiral to the end or is there a specific action you take that triggers the punish-if-you-tarry end game?

It's been a while since I played, but I think it's doing the main missions. So you'll want to finish off all the side stuff soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heliotrope posted:

It's been a while since I played, but I think it's doing the main missions. So you'll want to finish off all the side stuff soon.

Thing is, I haven't done a single main mission after Horizon. After a few side quests and Jacob's loyalty mission Illusive Man calls and whisks me away automatically.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Stop playing the main plot once you are told about the "IFF".

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

al-azad posted:

When's the point of no return in Mass Effect 2? I finished Horizon, a few pointless "kill Blue Suns" side quests later and now I'm being sent to a disabled collector ship. I know after a certain point when your crew is kidnapped that any dilly-dallying is punished but there's still a butt ton of content I haven't even touched yet. Is the game really on a timed spiral to the end or is there a specific action you take that triggers the punish-if-you-tarry end game?

There is a main story mission with the letters IFF in the name -- don't do that one until you're ready to start the endgame.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And once you've done the IFF mission, you have time for exactly one more loyalty mission.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

pseudorandom name posted:

And once you've done the IFF mission, you have time for exactly one more loyalty mission.

I thought it was two missions?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Heliotrope posted:

I thought it was two missions?

It's one if you want your crew to survive I believe.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

OneDeadman posted:

It's one if you want your crew to survive I believe.

I meant two before they get kidnapped.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay, beware IFF. Simple enough.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Heliotrope posted:

I meant two before they get kidnapped.

It is two, but the way game lays things out it seems like one for most people.

Activating Legion counts as one even though it's not much of a mission. If you don't bother to do that for some reason, you could do two actual full missions.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

elf help book posted:

It is two, but the way game lays things out it seems like one for most people.

Activating Legion counts as one even though it's not much of a mission. If you don't bother to do that for some reason, you could do two actual full missions.

Quite the opposite.

Only activating Legion will buy you a second mission. And if you're not a douchebag, you'll spend it on Legion's loyalty.

If it hasn't been brought up, you should save Tali's loyalty for after this at least once, and then bring Legion along - it's hilarious.

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom
I started playing Mafia II for the PC today, and am looking for a way to save the game without advancing the story. I want to hit up some stores or crush some cars and generally dick around in the city without the lingering feeling that some bad luck with cops could wipe 2 hours of trying to make some money.

Can you force a save or is the free roaming part of the game a waste of time anyway? Without spoiling anything, will there be a part in the game that will require me to have a small fortune?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mechahamster posted:

I started playing Mafia II for the PC today, and am looking for a way to save the game without advancing the story. I want to hit up some stores or crush some cars and generally dick around in the city without the lingering feeling that some bad luck with cops could wipe 2 hours of trying to make some money.

Can you force a save or is the free roaming part of the game a waste of time anyway? Without spoiling anything, will there be a part in the game that will require me to have a small fortune?

Don't bother. The game at certain points in the story take away ALL of your money. But yes, there is I think 1 point in the story where you have to have a certain amount of money, but the storyline gives you most of it, and its just a matter of crushing 5 or 6 cars.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Renoistic posted:

I'm going to start playing Armored Princess (the Crossworlds version) but I'm not sure which difficulty I should be playing. I'm pretty bad at strategy games but I still don't want to be able to steamroll every enemy with no need for tactics. How hard is normal?
If you play in the style of the master cheesers (I am quite fond of it, no disrespect intended) and run around enemies on the overworld map as often as possible to become powerful without really fighting anything, you can get yourself a good enough start to overwhelm the early monsters and get a feel for the game without being permanently overpowered.

Or, if you want to take a different approach, work with the baby dragon as much as possible, using the "awaken" spell religiously to get in as many actions per combat as possible. By the time I was near the end of the game, the dragon was doing about 50% of the work for my entire side with its "dragon dive" ability as well as one other one involving fire.

Was that the worst advice ever? Possibly. Those games are great, though. If you just hire as many random monsters as you can and march them straight at the enemy, you will still win a lot of the time, so normal difficulty should be all right no matter how you roll.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I just got Nier. What difficulty level should I start on?

Also, would attempting to do everything just take a lot of time or would it also be ridiculously hard to do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

I just got Nier. What difficulty level should I start on?

Also, would attempting to do everything just take a lot of time or would it also be ridiculously hard to do?

There is no reason to play on higher than normal, there is no reward for Hard and the only thing that changes is enemies have about 4x more health.

Do not attempt to do everything. It takes ages, it can be difficult, and the game actively mocks your attempts to do so. Often, the only reason to take quests is for incidental dialog between characters, much of it non-stop bitching.

This doesn't mean don't take any quests, just that if you're not having fun (package delivery especially) just stop. Seriously.

If for some pig-headed reason you have to do them all, 51% is the max completion before the point of no-return leading into the second half and where new game+ starts.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I just got Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Anything I should know? I just finished the prologue mission. Also, I have Two Worlds 2 coming in the mail soon, anything I should know for that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Something I noticed for Two Worlds 1 that I didn't see on the site- Life Shrines (respawn points) will auto-cast Heal on you. If you're having trouble with an enemy, lure them over to a shrine to tilt the odds in your favor (same goes for Mana Sources with MP regen)

EDIT: How viable is playing a mage in this game? Is it simply a matter putting most of your stat points into Willpower and most of your skill points into the magic schools/alchemy?
Speaking of skills, why are some of them greyed-out with no indication of requirements to unlock them? Do I have to go train them somewhere specific?
Lastly, is there a way to hot-key weapons?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 10, 2011

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just bought Batman Arkham Asylum for the 360. Tips?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nwin posted:

Just bought Batman Arkham Asylum for the 360. Tips?

Combat will appear to be button mashing. While this is viable, it's actually somewhat closer to a rhythm action game. Once you get into the swing of it, you'll find you're not just hammering the attack buttons, but smoothly and steadily tapping out sequences that leave everyone around you flat on their backs with no damage done to you.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Barudak posted:

There is no reason to play on higher than normal, there is no reward for Hard and the only thing that changes is enemies have about 4x more health.

Do not attempt to do everything. It takes ages, it can be difficult, and the game actively mocks your attempts to do so. Often, the only reason to take quests is for incidental dialog between characters, much of it non-stop bitching.

This doesn't mean don't take any quests, just that if you're not having fun (package delivery especially) just stop. Seriously.

If for some pig-headed reason you have to do them all, 51% is the max completion before the point of no-return leading into the second half and where new game+ starts.

Also not that most quests only have a monetary reward, and some have no reward at all. If you wanna go story crazy you'll need all the weapons, and some of them are quest rewards so you'll need to look that up.

Personally I'm running through all the sidequests because i'm a sperging devilchild, but some of them are quite nice for shaping the world, especially the Yonah quests that really give you that 'fatherhood is its own reward' feel. So if you like that, then go nuts.

Also in part two get the phoenix spear from Facade, it'll do you nicely for most of the game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Polite Tim posted:

Also in part two get the phoenix spear from Facade, it'll do you nicely for most of the game

That's not untrue, but personally I couldn't stand the spears, they just weren't fun to use (better than two-handed swords, though). I stuck with one-handed swords throughout the game and found combat to be more fun, but this is obviously a matter of personal preference.

The beastbain sword you can buy from the vendor in the starting village is expensive, but well worth it, it's a very good weapon for that early in the game. I recommend getting it ASAP.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Notinghamington posted:

I just got Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Anything I should know? I just finished the prologue mission.
When in doubt: grind for a better gun.

Use this list of weapon/item unlocks if you're stuck and can't do a lot of damage.
Item name spoilers only, missions are referred to as numbers

Don't worry about kills or alerts on your first run, you can replay missions at any time so there's no reason to go for it right away.

Huey will give you a note to deliver, go into the items menu on Mother Base and look at the model viewer for it so you can peek in on his private life.

For bosses:
Again, don't worry about going for no kills. Straight-up murdering dudes will cause you to lose at most 10 heroism, and heroism is pretty much useless.

Supply markers are your friend, and the thrown ones are the most useful.

DON'T STOP MOVING. If you're not moving you need to be behind cover or you are dead. 90% of boss attacks are avoidable by going in a straight line.

If you have any other questions/issues just bring it up in the Peace Walker thread.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's not untrue, but personally I couldn't stand the spears, they just weren't fun to use (better than two-handed swords, though). I stuck with one-handed swords throughout the game and found combat to be more fun, but this is obviously a matter of personal preference.

The beastbain sword you can buy from the vendor in the starting village is expensive, but well worth it, it's a very good weapon for that early in the game. I recommend getting it ASAP.

I used 2-handers for the armoured enemies, 1-handers for those little fuckers and spears for larger enemies, so i mixed it up a bit that way.

Oh, and using reduced magic cost words on dark lance works nicely

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Just got some new games for my DS and I'd love to get some tips.

I got Pokemon Black after never playing since Red/Blue. Anything I should know?

I also got The World Ends with You. Anything there?

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

GeauxSteve posted:

I also got The World Ends with You. Anything there?

You can alter your level to earn more experience for your pins, this is a great way to level up your pins faster. Also there are three ways to level up pins, and depending on how you level them you might get some new off shoot pins.
The three ways of level up your pins are.
Normal EX through battles.
By time, and I mean, by not playing your game. You gain experience for not playing, yes.
Another way is by fighting other players, you might not be able to get those pins unless you can find someone who also plays.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where did you get this chart? This chart is amazing.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
It's in the OP of the LP of Nier in the Let's Play forums, which I suggest is a must read even if you have played the game. The thread's . . . quite long now though so that might be a problem slogging through.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I did all of the sidequests in Nier and am a better person for it. :colbert:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Notinghamington posted:

You can alter your level to earn more experience for your pins, this is a great way to level up your pins faster. Also there are three ways to level up pins, and depending on how you level them you might get some new off shoot pins.
The three ways of level up your pins are.
Normal EX through battles.
By time, and I mean, by not playing your game. You gain experience for not playing, yes.
Another way is by fighting other players, you might not be able to get those pins unless you can find someone who also plays.

To clarify, when a pin that can evolve maxes its PP bar, it looks at how much is filled by each of the three types:

1) Battle PP, gained by in-game battles;
2) Shutdown PP, gained when you start the game after a period away (stores up to one week, with diminishing returns each day past the first);
3) Mingle PP, gained by either playing Tin Pin Slammer against someone, or putting the game into Mingle mode. Mingle mode gives PP for encountering other people in Mingle mode, people playing other wifi games, or aliens (random chance, stay in mode long enough and you will encounter one.)

Whichever of the three makes up the MOST of the bar is the type of evolution it will follow. Note that this is not a simple one-to-one comparison: each Shutdown PP is worth 9 Battle PP in this calculation (at equal BP and SP gained, the bar will show 90% SP), and Mingle PP is worth 20 Battle PP. So you can feel free to get most of your actual PP from battle as long as you have enough Shutdown/Mingle PP to overwhelm it in the final calculation.

Anyway, if the pin has that particular evolution it will evolve, otherwise it will just master. It's worth it to check the charts once you need to start narrowing down what evolutions you're missing.

One more tip: Scarletite should be spent on game mechanic stickers first, Fusion Boost second, and ATK/DEF Boost absolute dead last. As in, if you have any left over, save them for New Game+ when a few extra game mechanic stickers open up. New Game+ does open up a method of grinding for Scarletite, but you really want the NG+ mechanic stickers open before you have to do that.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mr E posted:

I did all of the sidequests in Nier and am a better person for it. :colbert:

Most of them involve spearing robots for parts as well, and as we all know the only good robot is a dead robot

Molts
Jan 4, 2011
I'm getting Dragon Age 2 tomorrow, is there anything relevant in the beginning of the story that I should now that could be a pain in the rear end ? Or bugs ?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Molts posted:

I'm getting Dragon Age 2 tomorrow, is there anything relevant in the beginning of the story that I should now that could be a pain in the rear end ? Or bugs ?

One thing springs to mind. I play a lot of RPGs, and I instinctively do all side quests that are available before advancing the main quest. In the first act of DA2, you should NOT do this. The main quests in the first act unlock extra characters for your team, so you probably want to do those first and then focus on all the side quests afterwards. The cut off point for act 1 is pretty obvious, so you needn't worry about accidentally finishing the act before you're ready too.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Molts posted:

Max Cunning ASAP for the rogues in your party, so you won't miss out on chests you can't open. "Max" is defined as 40 Cunning, you don't need any more than that. Other than that it's a good idea to put all your starting points into the character's main attribute, eg Strength on Warriors, so that you can use good weapons and gear.

Remove all good gear from your sibling by the end of Act 1.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

GeauxSteve posted:

I got Pokemon Black after never playing since Red/Blue. Anything I should know?

The Megathread is really helpful and will be a great resource for you. This is from the OP:

The following covers some of the most outstanding changes, in order of generation.
  • Generation 2 (Gold, Silver) - Dark & Steel types added (Dark is immune to Psychic and weak to Bug & Fighting; Steel resists practically everything and is weak to Fire, Ground, & Fighting), Genders & Breeding added (species can breed and crossbreed for new moves and species otherwise unavailable), Special Stat split into Special Attack and Special Defense, Time & Day added (the encounter tables and events available ingame depend on what time and day it is IRL), Hold Items added (Pokémon can hold things for automatic use in battle out of turn, like weapons and heal items)
  • Generation 3 (Ruby, Sapphire) - Abilities added (Every species has a built-in passive ability that affects gameplay), Double Battles added (2 on 2, as in you have 2 Pokémon Vs. 2 Pokémon), EV system overhauled (in Red/Blue, you had to grind every stat as a requirement, in Gen 3+ it's a customization tool), Natures added (every monster has a passive 10% boost to one stat and 10% decrease to another), loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
  • Generation 4 (Diamond, Pearl) - Full online capabilities (trading/fighting/anonymous trading/minigames/voice/etc), Individually physical and special attacks (ie: Thunderpunch uses Attack, Thunderbolt uses Special Attack), loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
  • Generation 5 (Black, White) - Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Global Link and Entralink connectivity modes, reusable Technical Machines, loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
But it's still recognizable as the same game, despite being much more intuitive, deep, and tricky than its appearance notes. Pokémon has always been this complicated. In fact, it's gotten much less grindy and unforgiving in terms of complication over the years. Most of the extra stuff is entirely optional.

NOW SOME TIPS
- You really don't need to grind if you don't want to. The new experience formula is based off of relative levels, not absolute levels, so if you're higher than the pokemon you're fighting, you won't get as much XP.

- You won't shoot yourself in the foot with a starter choice. With that said, the grass starter is (maybe) the weakest.

- After the first gym, go to the east and run around in an abandoned building with grass inside for a while.

- Dr.- Trainers are hanging out in some of the deeper places away from poke centers. They will heal your pokemon after you beat them (and then again whenever you need them to with having to battle them again.)

- Make friends with other Pokemon players. You get a great prize if you do 50 trades...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I just posted this in the reccomend me a game thread but it's almost better here:

I apparantly own Gothic 1-4 after a drunk steam sale purchase. If I'm going to play one of them, which one is best/should I play first, and along with that, what should I know about whichever game you're going to tell me to play? I know absolutely nothing about the series other than that the games get compared to the Elder Scrolls games from a gameplay perspective.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

I bought Yazuka 3 today. I've never played any game of the series. Any tips are appreciated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going to be starting Dragon Quest VI soon. My DQ experience includes VIII and the DS releases of IV and V. I assume VI is likely fairly straightforward but it's always a good idea to check first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!

CaptainPsyko posted:

I just posted this in the reccomend me a game thread but it's almost better here:

I apparantly own Gothic 1-4 after a drunk steam sale purchase. If I'm going to play one of them, which one is best/should I play first, and along with that, what should I know about whichever game you're going to tell me to play? I know absolutely nothing about the series other than that the games get compared to the Elder Scrolls games from a gameplay perspective.

I'd say start with Gothic 1 first and if you like it enough to finish it, move on to 2, then 3, but skip Forsaken Gods and ArcaniA unless you're craving more Gothic after 3.

Gothic 1 tips:

TO PICK UP ITEMS, TALK TO PEOPLE OR ATTACK, YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN CONTROL AND THE UP (OR W) KEY. That right there answers the one of the most frequently asked questions about Gothic 1.

You're weak at first, really, really weak, as in a strong gust of wind can kill your character weak. Because of that, I suggest you avoid any and all combat (unless you run into some juvenile scavengers) until you have a few levels, higher strength and a decent weapon.

Alternatively, there's a person who sells bows near the old camp (the big camp you'll find near where you're dumped at at the beginning.) If you can scrounge up the cost for a short bow + arrows (or be lucky enough to find one yourself) you can effectively weaken most low-end enemies to the point where they take 1-2 hits in melee.

In the Old Camp, there's 2 "escort" quests - do them. You won't be escorting anyone - they'll be escorting YOU. The people escorting you are nigh-invincible, strong and will kill anything that gets near them, but you'll get all the experience. Use the last fact to your advantage, as you can draw creatures to them and they'll kill them for you.

The entire game world is open at the start - the only thing preventing you from exploring is the fact that a lot of places are filled with enemies that can and will kill you at the beginning of the game. However, if you're sneaky enough, you can get by a lot of these and collect whatever loot they may be guarding.

After each chapter, new enemies will spawn in at certain locations, so if you clear out a cave of molerats in chapter 1, there may be lizards in that same cave come chapter 4.

Don't be afraid to use a lot of the plants you find - they'll be your main source of healing until you have enough for potions (or start finding them during your dungeon crawls) and they're EVERYWHERE.

As for myself - does anyone have any tips for Cross Edge? (Other than be prepared for an onslaught of PURE ANIME.)

sexual rickshaw fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2011