Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, Hockey Inside/Out is the Canadiens-focused website for the largest English language newspaper in Montreal.

Background: Chara tried to murder a guy on the Canadiens or something and then didn't even get a suspension!!! and the guy he tried to murder is still injured, and then the Bruins played like rear end in the playoffs and Chara got the pooping flu or something like that and now lots of dumb poo poo Montreal fans are talking about KARMA and Divine Retribution.

HAHA. I thought that was a blog. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Steig kind of, sort of apologizes (not really)

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/steigstory/04-17-2011-steigerwald-column

quote:

I had my audience in mind, and was saying that the incident in Los Angeles was an example of the out-of-control behavior that I had been writing and talking about for years. I never dreamed anybody who knew Brian Stow would read those words, and they wouldn't have if it hadn't gone viral.

It's our fault for linking to it!

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Hahahaha "it really is a world-wide web." Christ that poo poo makes me angry but I'm not going to bother commenting because even if he responded somehow (he won't) it would just make me more angry and depressed and I would be reduced to making more limpdicked tweetjokes about him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Jesus it's like he thinks someone overheard him saying poo poo in a bar and then spread it around. Not that he wrote something clumsy at best and reprehensible at worst in a column published both in print and online.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

A drat FOG posted:

"it really is a world-wide web"

ya know we need a computerweb just for real people like we got here in P-A

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dr_Strangelove posted:

ya know we need a computerweb just for real people like we got here in P-A

The most ridiculous thing is that if there's anywhere where fans are likely to consider themselves part of the team and act like morons, it's Pittsburgh.

Actually, I can almost understand a thought process of "Steelers fans are retarded and think they're more important than they are -> I should write a column telling them to quit -> Oh hey, some guy got put into a coma in LA, this'll scare 'em straight!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

THE MACHO MAN posted:

HAHA. I thought that was a blog. poo poo.

It is a blog, to be fair. They don't let Ole Man Boone near the print edition. But it's still a blog run by the Gazette and the blog carries all their other content and stuff, so it's pretty official.

edit: god drat how fuckin dumb can you be online these days stieggy

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Bob Smizik hates the Pirates

quote:

Of all the controversial trades made by Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, perhaps none raised the passion level of fans as much as the one that sent Nate McLouth to Atlanta. That probably was because fans, quite correctly, saw McLouth as a young, building block of the future and not a soon-to-be free agent, who would cost too much to keep.

Anup Sinha of bucsprospects.com looks back on the trade, which is almost 23 months old, and attempts to evaluate it. One excellent point Sinha makes, and I think it is very crucial in evaluating the deal, is this: "...McLouth had great trade value at the time. Power/speed/gold glove centerfielders who hustle don’t fall off trees! Had they shopped him around, the Pirates surely could have received more than what they got."

That Sinha guy is to blame for some of this, but he's not getting paid to write, so the guy who is can be blamed for repeating his terrible opinion.

e: For humor purposes: Nate McLouth .232/.295/.391, Charlie Morton 2-0, 1 CG, 1.64 ERA (:ssh: I know it's luck shut up), and Jeff Locke (one of the team's top pitching prospects) with 1.93 ERA, 9.6 K/9, 1.9 BB/9 in AA.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 20, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Smizek has always been a tool, his feud with Mark Madden is pretty funny too.

Although I guess to be fair he's just a bad writer, not a bad person like Steigerwald.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is a blog, to be fair. They don't let Ole Man Boone near the print edition. But it's still a blog run by the Gazette and the blog carries all their other content and stuff, so it's pretty official.

edit: god drat how fuckin dumb can you be online these days stieggy
yeah, but that affiliation gives the thing enough legitimacy that that thing should have never appeared! It was like reading some kind of retarded PensBlog post.

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Steig kind of, sort of apologizes (not really)

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/steigstory/04-17-2011-steigerwald-column

It's our fault for linking to it!

So not only did he pretty much say his audience is a bunch of assholes and retards, he admitted that he does poo poo to get hits. Sweet!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
How about some good writing? I enjoyed this.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Kinda surprised that Bill Barnwell is joining the new Bill Simmons site, he doesn't really fit the mold of what they've been going for so far. I could see him working as sort of a generic guy to write a ton of copy.

That's not saying he's at all bad, but not someone you would pick for an all-star lineup. If any one from FO was ever going to get snapped up by the mainstream media you would think it'd be Tanier.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think they probably just wanted a football stats guy and he's the most widely known guy with FO aside from Schatz.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Doesn't Tanier have a decent gig already with the New York Times? You'd probably have to blow him away with a contract or offer him a lot of freedom.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Badfinger posted:

Doesn't Tanier have a decent gig already with the New York Times? You'd probably have to blow him away with a contract or offer him a lot of freedom.

If he just writes for their football blog, he's likely a freelancer rather than a full-time employee. I'm sure it pays OK, but that's just supplementary income.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Deadspin posted a great compilation of excerpts wherein Bill Plaschke wonders stupidly aloud whether players are distracted by completely irrelevant things http://deadspin.com/#!5794419

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

stuart scott irl posted:

Deadspin posted a great compilation of excerpts wherein Bill Plaschke wonders stupidly aloud whether players are distracted by completely irrelevant things http://deadspin.com/#!5794419

Ugh that Lindsay Vonn quote still makes me angry. He has no idea about alpine skiing and does not understand how loving good she is.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

Ugh that Lindsay Vonn quote still makes me angry. He has no idea about alpine skiing and does not understand how loving good she is.

But but but she wore TIGHT PANTS that dirty slut :argh:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
he's mad because his daughter became a huge slut after simply viewing that Vonn picture

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

Really? Maybe it's just because the only Reilly I've ever read is from his last few years at the back of SI, but I can't imagine that guy writing anything that isn't a festival of hacky bullshit on one of three topics:
1. Inspirational story about someone using sports to Overcome Adversity
2. A lazy Shame on You story about a universally reviled sports personality or, better yet, a little league coach who has exhibited Bad Sportsmanship
3. A story about how awesome it is to be Rick Reilly

All three of these are filled with bad writing, horrible jokes, moronic similes, really dated pop culture references, and, of course, teeth. I'd really appreciate it if someone could link something that Reilly has ever written that won't make me throw up my hands and start losing the ability to properly Capitalize Words in a Sentence.

About the second thing- I think I might have already posted this but he literally called this kid my brothers played hockey with an rear end in a top hat for playing field hockey in Massachusetts a while back when the kid was 15. No highlight that the kid was from South Africa and was a recent immigrant and that field hockey was pretty big in his family. Also this kid was probably the politest kid ever and was super nice to everyone. Reilly also called his parents assholes. In sum, Reilly is a big bitch.

Aye Doc posted:

the Steigerwald who does Penguins games isn't John, thankfully. his name is Paul! I was trying to find out if they're brothers and I do believe I've found my answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2om0LsSDk8

And I'm sorry but I could not stop laughing when this happened because of how bizarre it was for a pro sportscaster to say this.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

About the second thing- I think I might have already posted this but he literally called this kid my brothers played hockey with an rear end in a top hat for playing field hockey in Massachusetts a while back when the kid was 15. No highlight that the kid was from South Africa and was a recent immigrant and that field hockey was pretty big in his family. Also this kid was probably the politest kid ever and was super nice to everyone. Reilly also called his parents assholes. In sum, Reilly is a big bitch.

Why did he call them all assholes?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Here's the context.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mornacale posted:

morestuff posted:

Here's the context.

Yeah my bad I should have made the context clear. He was a pretty decent sized kid playing field hockey with girls. Still, it was lazy, lazy journalism to just point out how guys were playing field hockey and then say that there parents should get hit in the nuts, ignoring all of the issues as to why Brad played field hockey.

He also played ice hockey and broke the glass with a slap shot during practice once so I'm not sure I would want to play field hockey against him either but I wouldn't call a fifteen year old kid out over it.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Rick Reilly posted:

Boys are a problem that's whittling away at the fabric of field hockey in Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania. "Playing with boys is awful!" one girl wrote on an Internet field hockey site. "When you win, people think it's only because of the boys on your team. It's so defeating."

For feminists it's a nasty little issue. For one thing the reason Ryan can play is that Massachusetts has an equal rights amendment in its constitution.

Eight years ago the state's Superior Court ruled that the amendment applied to athletics. That meant boys could not be barred from playing on girls' teams. Even though field hockey is as male as jock itch everywhere else in the world, the U.S. has zero boys' high school teams. "We lost in court so many times," says Paul Wetzel of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association, which appealed the court ruling, "that we gave up. [The decision] doesn't make sense, but there's nothing we can do."

Of course a judge's allowing it doesn't make it right. True, girls play on some teams in boys' sports, but they don't fundamentally change those sports. Ryan Sherburne changes the girls' game, as does Brad Bell. These parents must have half a brain to permit their hulking teenage piles of testosterone to go out in half a dress and whomp on girls half their size. Yeah, they have the constitutional right to do so, but not the moral right. The next dad who allows it gets a field hockey shot right where it hurts.
This post contains some analysis but is mostly opinion. This is a lazy and stupid article. Look, yes, I think we can all agree that the affected class can't be said to have been historically disadvantaged. A law review article could be written on this scenario vis-à-vis the legislative purpose of Title IX but this strikes me as a situation falling well within its statutory language and scope and I would bet that Title IX and Title VI are what the Massachusetts "equal rights amendment" are patterned after

I'm not a chauvinist in any sense of the word but I don't think it's unreasonable for some guys to want to play field hockey and I don't see anything in that article that leads me to believe otherwise. The question I have to ask myself is, "is letting men play in any way adversely affecting the opportunity being afforded to women?" I don't really see how. The risk of physical injury, to me, seems really overstated in order to lend some credence to the article's lovely thesis, that in America, field hockey is a "girl's game". Gender norms, love those in the context of civil rights litigation...

What is this article even getting at, this is a basic equal opportunity issue and one that's been apparently been litigated repeatedly in their favor already, why am I supposed to think that they're assholes? Because some participants are displeased simply because it affects the balance of the game? Because the guys aren't adhering to a traditional American gender norm? gently caress man, I agree that it's not the most constitutionally pressing issue, but that doesn't mean that the affected party doesn't deserve equal access

swizz fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 22, 2011

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
It's just funny that Reilly is trying to take the moral highground while basically saying that women can't be as good as men in sports.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Again, the main thing that people were upset about at the time was that it was such a ridiculous thing to say about Brad because anyone who knew the kid knew that he is literally polite and nice to a ridiculously comic degree even.

It's like calling Stan Musial a bad person or a raci-oh gently caress

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

It's just funny that Reilly is trying to take the moral highground while basically saying that women can't be as good as men in sports.

Hey, don't forget supporting the emasculation of those players because they're willing to put up with some bizarre requirement that field hockey players wear skirts.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It appears that Rick Reilly has never seen nor heard of kilts.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
New boss in town? Time to sniff that crack!

quote:

A lifelong love of baseball is the basis for Bud Selig's approach to job

...The current Milwaukee Brewers are the creation of a small boy who often went with his mother to watch a minor league team that carried the same name. The family business was an auto sales and leasing company in Milwaukee, Selig Ford, run by his father, Ben. The jump from Selig Ford to 19 years as the czar of the game of baseball is an American success story.

It happened because Bud Selig was, is, and always will be — first and foremost — a baseball fan.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

Mornacale posted:

Hey, don't forget supporting the emasculation of those players because they're willing to put up with some bizarre requirement that field hockey players wear skirts.

Rick Reilly's Informed View of the World posted:

Not only is Ryan unashamed to wear the Warriors' pleated plaid skirt on the field -- even in front of his girlfriend -- but he also wears it to school on game days, as do all his teammates.

I am aghast! What kind of a MAN would do such a thing--in front of his dame, nonetheless?!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

Boys are a problem that's whittling away at the fabric of field hockey in Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania. "Playing with boys is awful!" one girl wrote on an Internet field hockey site. "When you win, people think it's only because of the boys on your team. It's so defeating."

Well, based on this post from an internet field hockey site!!!, that guy is clearly in the wrong and is ruining the very fabric of the sport itself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many articles has Reilly written about plucky, courageous girls competing in boys sports because there wasn't a girls team to play on?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

haljordan posted:

Well, based on this post from an internet field hockey site!!!, that guy is clearly in the wrong and is ruining the very fabric of the sport itself.

Taking random posts from mostly anonymous users on websites has been used in all levels of journalism lately. Why anyone thinks this is good journalism is beyond me.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
It's probably on par with quoting the anonymous bystander, which is another journalistic failure that's been repeated as long as I can remember.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
If someone were to break Rick Reilly's writin' hand I'd be much obliged

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

gardenald posted:

If someone were to break Rick Reilly's writin' hand I'd be much obliged

Hasn't he already recycled previous SI articles for ESPN, only changing liked 10% of the story? I seem to remember Deadspin calling him out on this.

I have no doubt that if somebody broke his hand, he'd be able to cut-and-paste some old poo poo and call it a day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's been doing that forever. Like half his columns for SI were [name] was told that he could never play [sport] because of [disability] but he fought and persevered.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
A dude for Forbes wrote this.

Forbes.

http://blogs.forbes.com/tomvanriper/2011/04/21/move-the-dodgers-back-to-brooklyn/

Tom Van Riper posted:

Move the Dodgers Back to Brooklyn
Apr. 21 2011 - 6:07 pm | 1,268 views | 0 recommendations | 3 comments
By TOM VAN RIPER
Dodgers Uniform Script

Image via Wikipedia

How fitting that the Los Angeles Dodgers are wearing throwback uniforms for today’s home matinee against the Atlanta Braves. Throwbacks that include a “B” on the blue cap instead of the “LA” that all but the crankiest old Brooklyn fans have grow accustomed to.

Hopefully Bud Selig was watching, because the obvious solution to his Dodgers-Mets problem was right there on his television screen. Really, it’s so obvious that it’s easy to overlook: move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, and dissolve the Mets. Yeah, we know, as much as Angels owner Arte Moreno has been trying to make Los Angeles his solo baseball empire, leaving that big T.V. market with just one team won’t do. No problem – the virtually homeless Oakland Athletics and Tampa Bay Rays can fight each other tooth and nail to see who gets to move in. That would leave a net contraction of one team, a result that Selig has bandied about before for his over-expanded league.

Mets owner Fred Wilpon, Selig’s pal and a former Brooklyn Dodger fanatic, won’t even mind. His new pad, Citi Field, already pays more homage to the Dodgers than to the Mets. Maybe he can even become a part owner, which he’s shortly to become with the Mets anyway. It’s the move New Yorkers have been waiting and praying for since Walter O’Malley abandoned them for the west coast a couple of generations ago.

Vilified as O’Malley was back east, you really couldn’t blame him. In 1957, America was on the move. Brooklyn was the past, L.A. was the future. With his fans moving to the suburbs, and no deal with New York for a new downtown Brooklyn ballpark by Atlantic Terminal train station, what was left for O’Malley at Ebbets Field, that beloved but creaky old ballyard tucked far into Brooklyn’s crumbling residential streets? Especially when sunshine, rich land and plenty of parking awaited him off the freeway at Chavez Ravine?

But those who remind us that what goes around comes around are right. Fifty-four years after the Dodgers headed west, the cities’ rolls have reversed. Los Angeles, with its smog, bum economy, suffocating state debt and off the charts traffic, is the past. Brooklyn, with its hipsters, gentrification, revitalized brownstone neighborhoods, reformed Coney Island waterfront and soon-to-open Barclay’s Center, is the future. When the New Jersey Nets finally move in, fans are going to see the NBA in Brooklyn as the coolest thing that’s ever happened in sports.

The only thing that could be better? The prodigal son Dodgers return. That’s the sports story of the century, maybe of all time. A retro style, nouveau Ebbets Field right alongside the Barclay’s Center, completing the transformation of a depressing area into a sports nirvana. Make no mistake, fans would flock there every night. It beats Citi Field, a soulless building that’s as close to a dump as a new park can get (really, you get the feeling that the Mets looked around at the new-old style parks in Philadelphia, Colorado and elsewhere and decided, “ok, we’ll build one of those, too, just not as nice.”)

Then there are the cable riches of New York and the limitless marketing opportunities behind one of best nostalgic acts of all time. As long as the new owners go easy on the borrowing and steer clear of any Bernie Madoff types, the franchise would flourish. Note to the Dodgers: Fifty-four years is a nice run in the sun. But L.A.is looking a bit worn these days, and so are you. The town may be an upgrade for the Rays or A’s, but you’re the Dodgers. Time to thank the Mets for holding down the fort, and go home.

gently caress making sense financially, move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, dissolve the Mets, move the Rays to Los Angeles and bingo bango. You have a now-defunct newly-built MLB stadium in Queens, a 29-team league and no place for the Dodgers to play.

I just love the overall "we've been nice enough to let the Dodgers play in LA for the past 50 years, but it's time for them to come home, we deserve this" tone of the article.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

quote:

It’s the move New Yorkers have been waiting and praying for since Walter O’Malley abandoned them for the west coast a couple of generations ago.

Where does he get this from? All the Dodger crazies are long gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

Where does he get this from? All the Dodger crazies are long gone

The ones that are still around post, depressingly enough, at the Baseball Fever forums in the Brooklyn Dodgers subforum.