Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

Your rink has windows? Well I never. :colbert:

And pepsi logos for faceoff dots :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We had our worst game as a team since I started skating down here last night. We lost to a team we've beaten many times 8-1 due mainly to their paying at least 3 really good players to join their team including one of our best players. :mad:

I was trying to be a good captain but I really had nothing to say during the game, it sucked.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

poser posted:

Yeah they got some big deal with Pepsi. They have two rinks at the facility, the nicer one they don't use as much (of course). This one is home to my high school's arch rivals in hockey, Fairfield Prep, where Chris Drury graduated from (and they have his and his brother's numbers retired at the other end of the rink).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Your rink has windows? Well I never. :colbert:

For when it gets hot and you need to let some air in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

We have 4 curling targets on each side of the ice on one of our rinks, right near the faceoff circles. Confusing as gently caress :science:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Doesn't the iPhone use gorilla glass?

Poke around on youtube.. it's seriously tough stuff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could take a puck to the face.
No? At least wiki doesn't mention it. Also, this page doesn't think so.

That gorilla glass looks badass (allegedly can withstand a one pound steel ball at 65MPH), but the iPhone doesn't seem to be made with it.

Nizox posted:

yeah, only some of them have the size stated (hockeymonkey is better than hockeygiant for this).

anyway, I think i will go feel them out before i buy online.

no more bauers though... :(
Bauer is awesome. One95 is amazing. Great feel, great durability, amplified mid kick turns your slapshot into a literal rocket. Trail of smoke and all that.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google searching it, it sounds like some website started the rumor that the iPhone 4 uses gorilla glass, and a bunch of people accepted it as truth.

It sounds like the reality is it uses a product similar to gorilla glass, but isn't actually gorilla glass. :iiam:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Warrior sticks.

If you can afford it, Warrior gloves.

That is all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I want a yellow pair of Warrior gloves from their customize tool, but I can't justify the cost. Would be incredible though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I want a yellow pair of Warrior gloves from their customize tool, but I can't justify the cost. Would be incredible though.

Oh god I love those customize tools, I can spend all day playing with that

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience with Combat hockey sticks? They look really interesting and are priced attractively but I don't want to blow $150 just to try one out.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My pair of franchises are the best gloves I have ever own. If my team that I run becomes a yearly thing I might pick up a pair that match our jerseys.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I just went to my first beginner class the other day, and it was awesome. Everything seemed to fit well except for possibly the pants...they would frequently get stuck under the above knee pad on the shinguards (hopefully that makes sense). Can I solve this by just taping down that flexible upper part of the shinguard so it sticks to my lower thigh?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

robcat posted:

I just went to my first beginner class the other day, and it was awesome. Everything seemed to fit well except for possibly the pants...they would frequently get stuck under the above knee pad on the shinguards (hopefully that makes sense). Can I solve this by just taping down that flexible upper part of the shinguard so it sticks to my lower thigh?

Maybe pull your pants up higher? I wear my pants so the sides come up to the middle of my ribcage-ish, and I've never had this problem.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

coldwind posted:

No? At least wiki doesn't mention it. Also, this page doesn't think so.

That gorilla glass looks badass (allegedly can withstand a one pound steel ball at 65MPH), but the iPhone doesn't seem to be made with it.

Bauer is awesome. One95 is amazing. Great feel, great durability, amplified mid kick turns your slapshot into a literal rocket. Trail of smoke and all that.

break on the shot of what i would assume, is a 12 year old girl in travel league (me)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Nizox posted:

break on the shot of what i would assume, is a 12 year old girl in travel league (me)
Are you still talking about Bauer sticks? You mentioned you broke 3 in 1.5 years. Which is really not that bad. Also, you broke x40's, not One95's. The One95 has a well-deserved (IMO) reputation for quality puck feel, great slapshots and durability. For the past 4 months, I've cycled two while I practiced my slapshots, taking probably about 50 slapshots a week. They're still stiff as the day I bought them.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

robcat posted:

Just tape it down its what I do. Its from the pads being new they'll wear in and be less stiff eventually

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-hockey-gloves-pfx-14.html

Bought a new set of Eagle gloves just for roller hockey. I have a pair of X70's that I use for ice that I love, but I decided to go cheaper since I don't play roller often enough to justify it, nor do I want to ruin my ice gloves.

So far they're decent, but I can definitely tell a difference in build quality, with the X70's being superior, but not by a whole lot. I still need to break the new ones in a bit more.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
The palms on the high end gloves is amazing. Its a shame that Eagle wont let people buy MSH2 anymore.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

poser posted:

The palms on the high end gloves is amazing. Its a shame that Eagle wont let people buy MSH2 anymore.
Yeah, I bought a pair of Bauer Pro-Roll 4's over a year ago and my palms are still insanely soft. I love those gloves so damned much.

Had one of our worst games last night, and it figures it was the one the wife and friend showed up to. We were somewhat short handed so we were in it for a while but as the game wore on we just couldn't get anything going and ended up losing by 5 or 6.

Course it didn't help that the other team was getting chippy even though they were up by a bunch, including their one fat guy who couldn't skate for poo poo. So his tactic was to simply attempt to skate towards guys on the boards and basically body check them [in a no-checking league obviously] and then fall down in a way to make it seem like he simply couldn't control himself. Think the ref missed about 5 or 6 of these before he finally called the guy on it.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

coldwind posted:

Are you still talking about Bauer sticks? You mentioned you broke 3 in 1.5 years. Which is really not that bad. Also, you broke x40's, not One95's. The One95 has a well-deserved (IMO) reputation for quality puck feel, great slapshots and durability. For the past 4 months, I've cycled two while I practiced my slapshots, taking probably about 50 slapshots a week. They're still stiff as the day I bought them.

I bought a One95 and XXXV, and then the x40 after those two broke. I play about 2 times a week as I have 3 teams. The One95 lasted the longest 10 months maybe. But the x40 and XXXV were lasted what I would consider 6 months each. I know that's not BAD, but One95s are ~$200, the x40 and XXXV were ~$150. That gets expensive.

I have an easton synergy that hasn't broke other than the toe when I got pissed. So I replaced the blade and that has been my back up. I just went to the shop on the way home yesterday and got a Easton EQ30. We'll see how long this lasts. I wanted a warrior but they didn't have any under 100 flex and i'm a big baby man.

But I got a "hall" curve. Reminds me of a Sakic, Maybe that's what it is but with a new name. (EDIT:cause it is, drat it!!!).

Oh well. If this lasts 6 months, than maybe it doesn't matter. My wood sticks lasted so much longer as a kid. But I hate how they feel now. :(

Nizox fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 3, 2011

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Question for SAS defensemen: What blade/stick are you guys using now? For almost a decade, the only thing I've used are Synergies with a Lidstrom blade, because of the square toe and the loft that kept all of my shapshots low. But, a few weeks back I was on HockeyMonkey to get a replacement, and I saw a deal on Warrior sticks. I bought the 2010 model of a Dolomite Spyne with a Vanek bade, but ended up getting a 2011 for the same price because they were sold out (HockeyMonkey's customer service owns). The blade isn't the rigid square like Lidstrom's, but the toe is flattened enough that I can jam my stick into the boards to keep pucks in, and it has the same loft.

The first shot I took with the thing was so hard it left a notch in our goalie's mask. From having used the same stick for so long, I'd never really put much thought into how it affected my game. But holy poo poo, I have so much more feel for the puck when I'm stickhandling, and my shots seem to be more accurate (confirmation bias, most likely, but whatever). This is also the lightest stick that I've ever held. I love it.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Aggro posted:

Question for SAS defensemen: What blade/stick are you guys using now?

I use CCM's Recchi curve (which I believe they've recently rebranded as Tavares). It's really a jack-of-all-trades type of middle-blade curve. Pretty neutral in the loft department, but it opens up just slightly at the toe if you really need it. Relatively low lie, which is good for the slap shot. Toe isn't square, but it's not too round either. It's served me well for a number of years.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Green Submarine posted:

I use CCM's Recchi curve (which I believe they've recently rebranded as Tavares). It's really a jack-of-all-trades type of middle-blade curve. Pretty neutral in the loft department, but it opens up just slightly at the toe if you really need it. Relatively low lie, which is good for the slap shot. Toe isn't square, but it's not too round either. It's served me well for a number of years.

Not a defenseman, but I use the Sakic (Hall now I guess) and Recchi (Tavares) curves. As a centre, I feel they give great overall performance, allowing me take whatever kind of shot I need, ditto for passing. The Sakic is more open, which lifts the puck better, while the Recchi is slightly less. The reason I like having these two curves in my "repertoire" is because I can switch from on to the other as I need it. The Recchi is absolutely more suited to when I need to be playing a pass first game, while the Sakic allows me to shoot from pretty much anywhere.

I always make sure to have one of each at every game I go to, because without the option of switching between 2 different but similar sticks I'd be lost in games where I needed to change for whatever reason. If I break a stick, the backup is close enough that no adjustment is needed, while the more common situation, where I'm just not passing or shooting well, I can switch to the other to make an improvement on whatever part of my game is lacking. Alternatively, I can improve on whatever IS working and hopefully make an impact that way.

So, the point I'm making here is that the stick your using can create a rather large difference, even if it's just mentally. This is important in part because it ensures that your confidence remains up when something bad does happen. Hell I'll change sticks if I'm just feeling like I'm not playing well, and that little boost is enough.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 3, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dang, I had no idea the wear on your stick tape could indicate the wrong blade lie. Both of my sticks have the P92 Backstrom and the heel of the blade tape is always the first part to wear down by far. Maybe this is why I have some passes rattle off my stick and not the whippy flex...

I've heard good things about the PM9 Stamkos/Malkin (I'm a forward). Looks like it's still open, but more of a mid-heel curve, and slightly less deep on the curve with a lie of 5 (instead of 6). Anyone love/hate this blade?

What model of Bauer blades do you guys usually pick up? I've been rolling with the X:20s since it's the cheapest composite.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 4, 2011

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Green Submarine posted:

I'm also a defenseman and I use the same curve, though I might be getting a new stick soon since mine is pretty worn out now. I'm not sure what curve I'll use if I do. I agree with your assessment of the curve. It's pretty solid, nice for passing since it's not too curved, and the relative balance in the curve provides for good back hands.

My favorite curve that I've used was a Spezza curve. It was great for stickhandling and getting the puck up quick since that curve is (maybe was, god knows they may have changed it by now, haven't had it for like four years) a toe curve. I took the best slap shots I've ever taken with that curve too.

My preferences probably don't come in line with normal defensemen though. I basically have the stick preferences of a forward. I use smaller sticks for better puck control and also because I have more control over my poke check, which I like, and I like toe curves.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aggro posted:

Question for SAS defensemen: What blade/stick are you guys using now? For almost a decade, the only thing I've used are Synergies with a Lidstrom blade, because of the square toe and the loft that kept all of my shapshots low. But, a few weeks back I was on HockeyMonkey to get a replacement, and I saw a deal on Warrior sticks. I bought the 2010 model of a Dolomite Spyne with a Vanek bade, but ended up getting a 2011 for the same price because they were sold out (HockeyMonkey's customer service owns). The blade isn't the rigid square like Lidstrom's, but the toe is flattened enough that I can jam my stick into the boards to keep pucks in, and it has the same loft.

The first shot I took with the thing was so hard it left a notch in our goalie's mask. From having used the same stick for so long, I'd never really put much thought into how it affected my game. But holy poo poo, I have so much more feel for the puck when I'm stickhandling, and my shots seem to be more accurate (confirmation bias, most likely, but whatever). This is also the lightest stick that I've ever held. I love it.
One95 PM9. I got the PM9 because it was sort of neutral and vanilla, I thought it would allow me to be very multi-dimensional. I don't really know if that's the case. I haven't really had much of chance to test that out since our forwards pretty much never involve the d-men in the offense unless they want us to hold the puck in. Most of them are beginners, so it's hard to get too annoyed, but even the more experienced guys do that.

While I'm complaining, the guy I got paired with last Friday was refusing to cover a man in front of the net. Also, he was forechecking. Awesome.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

While I'm complaining, the guy I got paired with last Friday was refusing to cover a man in front of the net. Also, he was forechecking. Awesome.

you must be playing with a kid on my team (or he was, at least). dude could not figure out that A) his most important job is to keep the guy out of the front of the net and B) DON'T SKATE DOWN TO THE GOAL LINE WHILE WE'RE ON OFFENSE

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Literally the first thing I learned when I put on skates as a five year old and started playing defense is one defenseman always covers the front of the net.

It always makes me giggle when NHL defensemen of all people forget that and go full retard with two chasing behind the net/into the corner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vigilance posted:

It always makes me giggle when NHL defensemen of all people forget that and go full retard with two chasing behind the net/into the corner.

To their credit, they're so physically fit, they can actually pull it off more often than not. It just looks really silly when it doesn't work out.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I guess I can understand having a lapse, or maybe having a mistake in communication where both D go behind the net. This guy, does not do that. He doesn't even entertain the notion of covering the front of the net. He just follows the puck. At all times.

I talked to him on the bench. "So, you normally play defense, right? Well, we're leaving a lot of guys open in front of the net, so let's make sure we stay on that, ok?"

HA. No.

There's this other d-man on a team I sub for in net. He glides to every puck he's collecting in our zone. Inevitably, there's a forechecker, so he's rushed, so he just shoots the puck out of the zone as hard as he can. Hustle a little bit and give yourself time to make a good pass? Can't be bothered.

Another guy on that team who used to play D with my current team and moved up a league (to the team I sub for in net). Laziest mo-fo ever. Glides to every puck, like the guy above, but this guy doesn't even make sure he has enough to get it out of the zone. I saw him once glide to the puck, get there a split second before a forechecker, and just barely manage to limply "pass" it to his partner with one hand on his stick.

Dude never skated hard unless he had the puck. He'd get by a few forwards and inevitably lose the puck at the blue line trying to get by the D. Then it was back to gliding. He always took long shifts, too. We thought maybe he was just tired of playing defense, but he asked to play defense when he moved up, too, so I don't know.

OK, end of d-man horror stories.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
to be fair I'm also really bad since i just started playing a few months ago but this kid is just terrible. skates slowly to pucks, can't turn forward to backward (or even the other way around, really), and weakly flicks the puck around the D zone. it's really frustrating to play with him.

i think i'm gonna try to stick to playing D, though. i really like being at the top of the offensive zone, since i can be very observant and predict what might happen (the only thing i've ever been any good at in sports. in fact, when i was playing basketball in middle school, i once figured out that the other team's plays were all numbered, and odd numbered plays went to the left, evens to the right. the only thing that coach ever said i did well :3: ). Plus, defenseman don't have to stickhandle or shoot quite as much, which I am not very good at. lastly, i really, really like skating, so getting better at that is very rewarding for me.

now if only i can figure out how the gently caress to even snowplow stop on my right foot i will be pretty happy with my progress this semester. i just can't emulate what i do with my left foot with my right :argh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

to be fair I'm also really bad since i just started playing a few months ago but this kid is just terrible. skates slowly to pucks, can't turn forward to backward (or even the other way around, really), and weakly flicks the puck around the D zone. it's really frustrating to play with him.

Is he trying?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

I guess I can understand having a lapse, or maybe having a mistake in communication where both D go behind the net. This guy, does not do that. He doesn't even entertain the notion of covering the front of the net. He just follows the puck. At all times.

I talked to him on the bench. "So, you normally play defense, right? Well, we're leaving a lot of guys open in front of the net, so let's make sure we stay on that, ok?"

HA. No.

There's this other d-man on a team I sub for in net. He glides to every puck he's collecting in our zone. Inevitably, there's a forechecker, so he's rushed, so he just shoots the puck out of the zone as hard as he can. Hustle a little bit and give yourself time to make a good pass? Can't be bothered.

Another guy on that team who used to play D with my current team and moved up a league (to the team I sub for in net). Laziest mo-fo ever. Glides to every puck, like the guy above, but this guy doesn't even make sure he has enough to get it out of the zone. I saw him once glide to the puck, get there a split second before a forechecker, and just barely manage to limply "pass" it to his partner with one hand on his stick.

Dude never skated hard unless he had the puck. He'd get by a few forwards and inevitably lose the puck at the blue line trying to get by the D. Then it was back to gliding. He always took long shifts, too. We thought maybe he was just tired of playing defense, but he asked to play defense when he moved up, too, so I don't know.

OK, end of d-man horror stories.

At least the one guy has the presence of mind to clear the puck out of the zone. Does he try to keep the puck near the glass/boards or does he clear it down the middle of the ice? My personal favorite are the guys that get the puck and immediately make the blind cross ice pass, which is inevitably is intercepted right in front of the crease and puts you in a horrible situation. That's right up there with your D-man holding his stick off the ice and having it deflect off of his stick and into the net.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

Is he trying?

i think so. he's really tall and awkward as gently caress on his skates, but he's definitely trying.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

i think so. he's really tall and awkward as gently caress on his skates, but he's definitely trying.

Then I'd let it slide. As long as people are giving 110% on the ice, I tend to believe they'll get better eventually. What pisses me off are the folks that coast, no matter how good they are.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

Then I'd let it slide. As long as people are giving 110% on the ice, I tend to believe they'll get better eventually. What pisses me off are the folks that coast, no matter how good they are.

I'm not hyper competitive or anything, but it can sometimes be frustrating to play with someone who is really, really bad. i think most people would agree?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^No, because that's a lovely attitude to have. If you're in a league for beginners you either (a) are a beginner yourself or (b) should not be playing in a league for beginners. If you're frustrated with playing with people who try but aren't good, play in a higher league and BE the person who frustrates another player for not being that good.

On another note, just a random yay: I started playing defense again, after growing up in that position and then getting moved to center when everyone else in the league outgrew me in Bantams (10 years ago :gonk:) I missed playing defense more than I thought I did. It owns. That's all. :3:

also we entered our women's team in one of the adult divisions in Roseville and we've actually won a few games. Weren't expecting it so it's nice. :)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 4, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

At least the one guy has the presence of mind to clear the puck out of the zone. Does he try to keep the puck near the glass/boards or does he clear it down the middle of the ice? My personal favorite are the guys that get the puck and immediately make the blind cross ice pass, which is inevitably is intercepted right in front of the crease and puts you in a horrible situation. That's right up there with your D-man holding his stick off the ice and having it deflect off of his stick and into the net.
I don't remember. It was probably a mix. He wasn't making any blind passes, he wasn't really making any passes at all. He may have been slapping some up the middle. Nothing nearly as bad as that blind cross ice pass.

I haven't deflected one into my own net, yet, but I have definitely stood right in front of the goalie with the "I'm gonna stop this shot" mentality. Yeah, that ended up in the back of the net. I'm learning.

Learning how not to screen the goalie is a difficult thing to learn because naturally you want to stand directly between the puck and net. Which is right down the sightline. Plus, for me, our goalie constantly gushes us with praise and I can't get him to tell me when I'm screening him. I'll ask him, and then he'll say "a little bit, but it wasn't for very long." I can't get him to yell "get the gently caress out my way!!" Or even yell "screen!!"

Lawnie posted:

Sounds like the guy is just a beginner. Yeah, it can be frustrating to play with these guys, but I'll take this guy over lazy-and-or-stupid any day. People gotta learn somehow, and not everybody's going to have learned all the skills, yet.

BTW, I forgot to tell you guys about our two "pond boys." They just started playing ice hockey in a rink this year having played pond hockey before. They are good skaters, good stick-handlers, decent shots. It's almost like they've been playing since childhood. EXCEPT they don't know any rules/strategy. The first two weeks, we had to tell them the ref blew the whistle because of offsides. One of them plays RW and we had to tell him for two weeks not to stand behind the defencemen on faceoffs. One of them didn't know he could come out of the penalty box after the PP scores a goal.

Not trying to be judgemental, but how do you have an interest in hockey that long and never learn these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

coldwind posted:

Not trying to be judgemental, but how do you have an interest in hockey that long and never learn these things?
It is odd because I always thought interest in the NHL came naturally with interest in hockey.