Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

CM Funk posted:

They should extend Ryder's intro with a dial-up connection sound.
OOOOHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question:

The gently caress is a jabroni, and how does one beat it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dickeye posted:

Here's a question:

The gently caress is a jabroni, and how does one beat it?

It's another word for jobber.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh. Well that makes "jabroni-beating" considerably less awesome.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dickeye posted:

It holds that build for way too long. You get the "oh poo poo" moment plus about thirty seconds of waiting, which defeats the point of the oh poo poo.

Your "aw gently caress" shouldn't be 30 seconds of instrumental.

There's like 10 seconds between the theme beginning and the rapadoo ending. It's fine.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Oh. Well that makes "jabroni-beating" considerably less awesome.

You need to understand that the Rock considers everyone who is not the Rock a jobber.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Atticus Finch posted:

OOOOHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

WOOOOOO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hirams Bitch posted:

You need to understand that the Rock considers everyone who is not the Rock a jobber.

Which is odd, considering his win-loss record.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Which is odd, considering his win-loss record.
Who are you, HHH?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hirams Bitch posted:

Jabroni-beating just got cooler.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
This is only tangential to wrestling, but who is in Captain Charisma's avatar? I only see Road Dogg anytime I look at it, but I know it's not.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Brett Gardner of the New York Yankees.

Not anything to do with Wrestling at all, really.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

HulkaMatt posted:

Brett Gardner of the New York Yankees.

Sometimes when I want an avatar I just do something probatable.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

I meant my question was only tangentially related to wrestling since all I see is Road Dogg :shobon:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lloyd Boner posted:

No, gently caress that. More entrance themes need that subdued intro before the big pop. Like the Hollywood heel Rock theme or Jericho's before they lobbed off the countdown. The big pop intros are good too, but variety is the spice of life :haw:.

Hogan's "Real Americans" has that build too- maybe shorter than Cena's, but it works.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

CM Funk posted:

They should extend Ryder's intro with a dial-up connection sound.

*ten seconds of turning a radio dial complete with bits of talk radio and salsa*

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Blankman posted:

*ten seconds of turning a radio dial complete with bits of talk radio and salsa*

They did something vaguely similar for Danielson when he wrestled at CHIKARA during his WWE hiatus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uee07O1Tgjg

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

apsouthern posted:

They did something vaguely similar for Danielson when he wrestled at CHIKARA during his WWE hiatus

Best wrestling theme in the world!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trollologist posted:

That every (non stipulation) match ends with either a finisher, count-out, small package, or DQ.

Just once I'd like to see a guy get the three count with a superplex.

I have been saying to to my buddies for years, Simply having a few matches sometimes end to things like superpexes or rest submissions would add a lot of suspense to the rest of the matches. If people submit to chinlocks or get pinned by a big spinebuster, the two counts in a big match gain a lot of suspense, since the audience knows those moves HAVE won matches. Instead no one ever gets worried until huge moves or finishers are pulled out.

Lloyd Boner posted:

No, gently caress that. More entrance themes need that subdued intro before the big pop. Like the Hollywood heel Rock theme or Jericho's before they lobbed off the countdown. The big pop intros are good too, but variety is the spice of life :haw:.

I agree, and for what dickeye is talking about they should just pull off the intro for run ins and such, just start at Rapadooo.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 10, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rapadoo is a great "Aw poo poo it's Cena", he comes out at the end of the "word", salutes, runs down.

You get the same intro, without the instrumental, and it'd work a hundred times better. Especially with a quicker, higher energy intro, that wait is bad. It's different if it's the Undertaker and his slow, methodical song and the bells.

Speaking of which, the lights dropping out in Raw c. 1998 is a great "awww gently caress" pop.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hogan's "Real Americans" has that build too- maybe shorter than Cena's, but it works.

The version of "Real American" that they played at shows always cut off the distortion/echo beginning, and went straight for the main lick.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I got in an interesting discussion with a friend about titles in wrestling. This all stemmed from the backlash the WWE has received about the title being taken off Christian. My friend had brought up something Stone Cold had said about titles, I don't remember the exact quote but I believe it was something along the lines of, If you aren't in the business to win the World title then why are you a wrestler?

What is the general consensus among wrestlers superstars in regards to titles? Is it really a huge deal for the majority of them or is being over more of a concern? I ask because I just can't imagine Christian being extremely upset about dropping the title to Orton considering how over he is with the crowd.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Dickeye posted:

Rapadoo is a great "Aw poo poo it's Cena", he comes out at the end of the "word", salutes, runs down.

You get the same intro, without the instrumental, and it'd work a hundred times better. Especially with a quicker, higher energy intro, that wait is bad. It's different if it's the Undertaker and his slow, methodical song and the bells.

When you're in the crowd however that instrumental builds a sense of anticipation and atmosphere. I'm not a huge Cena fan but the start of his tune sends goosebumps down my arms when I'm watching in the crowd. It works.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

LAWLandMine posted:

So I got in an interesting discussion with a friend about titles in wrestling. This all stemmed from the backlash the WWE has received about the title being taken off Christian. My friend had brought up something Stone Cold had said about titles, I don't remember the exact quote but I believe it was something along the lines of, If you aren't in the business to win the World title then why are you a wrestler?

What is the general consensus among wrestlers superstars in regards to titles? Is it really a huge deal for the majority of them or is being over more of a concern? I ask because I just can't imagine Christian being extremely upset about dropping the title to Orton considering how over he is with the crowd.

I don't think there is a general consensus. I've heard about just as many belt marks as I have guys who don't care too much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LAWLandMine posted:

Someone else on here mentioned that he achieved a lifelong dream, got to hug his best friend about ten seconds after it, and has a world title belt in his study, regardless of what comes next. I can't imagine him being too bent.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

apsouthern posted:

I am so in that video. Super fun moment and a nice tease by the Chikara folk.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

John Cena's theme music is fine. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here. When he wins matches they go right into the hook. The whole intro is because people go crazy for it every time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neodoomium posted:

John Cena's theme music is fine. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here. When he wins matches they go right into the hook. The whole intro is because people go crazy for it every time.

I think he could use a new theme but I have no issue with how his theme works.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dickeye posted:

Someone else on here mentioned that he achieved a lifelong dream, got to hug his best friend about ten seconds after it, and has a world title belt in his study, regardless of what comes next. I can't imagine him being too bent.

Yeah, the company showing no faith in you is something you just shrug off.

There's never been a bigger time to push Christian, and his time on ECW shows he can be a credible champ. I can't imagine he was happy when he read the script that day.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I can't imagine he was happy when he read the script that day.

I'm certain he knew before he won the belt that he'd be losing it to Orton on SmackDown.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What's "shooting the half"? :shobon:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Atticus Finch posted:

Going for a half nelson into a pinning combo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Does New Japan still have an english website? And is there anyway to follow Recent New Japan shows besides Youtube?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

BigRed0427 posted:

Does New Japan still have an english website? And is there anyway to follow Recent New Japan shows besides Youtube?

Turn back time, move to Japan. Otherwise employ a great deal of patience.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Memory escapes me, what is hold #723?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Merlot Brougham posted:

Memory escapes me, what is hold #723?

The Jericho Screwdriver?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcTHmZ9luY

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

apsouthern posted:

The Jericho Screwdriver?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcTHmZ9luY

No, and with your wrong answer, you're totally asking for a Saskatchewan Spinning Nerve Hold. Don't test me.

e: wow, that clip was from the live feed. In this one, it's the "Super Blizzard". I must have still been a little shaken up from that arm bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_62-8LsVFE

You're still wrong though, per the Ed The Strangler Lewis Loophole.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 10, 2011

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
My more serious question, as I enter a mid-life crisis and get nostalgic about all of the great Jericho moments I lived for on Monday nights while I was in High School....Is there any video on the internet of the bit he did when he wore sunglasses to the ring, where he whipped them off, revealing another pair of sunglasses underneath?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atticus Finch posted:

Throwing a half nelson and pushing them over onto their back, in Greco-Roman it's babby's first pin technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So apparently UFC has just given their fighters insurance policies for injuries sustained in fights and the fighters don't even pay a premium for their policy. During a recent Wrestling Observer Radio they said that WWE picks up the tab for some of the major surgeries for things that happen in the ring - is there any chance they may follow suit and insure all the wrestlers?

I'm guessing the answer is 'not a chance' but UFC putting 350 fighters (according to Wrestling Observer Radio) on an insurance policy can't possibly make the fake fighting company look good in regards to taking care of their workers.