Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bought the Wizardry 8 guide.

I had not bought a cluebook since they called them "clue books." So, you know, a decade at that point.

As soon as I got home, I stared at it, and wondered what the hell was wrong with me, as the Internet surely had all the information I could need about this game.

YET SOMEHOW I enjoy owning it. Probably because it helped tie into the whole end-of-an-era feeling of the game.

Cluebooks were so awesome :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tae posted:

I don't really enjoy games that gently caress you over with a bad/mediocre ending unless you do very specific things, which put me on a guide addict.

I never want to go through a non-108 Suikoden V again. God drat it.

yeah for all the Suikoden games I've looked up all the missable characters and made sure to get them, most annoying part of those games really. Started playing Exit Fate and I like that none of the characters in it are missable

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So is there any news on a Suikoden 6 at all or is it in the same limbo as RoTK games

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

I don't really enjoy games that gently caress you over with a bad/mediocre ending unless you do very specific things, which put me on a guide addict.

I never want to go through a non-108 Suikoden V again. God drat it.

And Ogre Battle 64. You saved the world. Get the gently caress out of the country because lol chaos frame never explained.
Yeah, this always bothers me a lot. Valkyrie Profile was pretty bad too in this regard, I refuse to believe anyone can get the good ending without painstakingly following a guide.

I'm actually going to have to make a Suikoden III decision soon. I've beaten S1 and got pretty far in S2 (I need to start over so I can get all 108 stars), but I've heard enough musings of mediocrity regarding S3 that I'm wondering if I can just stop after S2. I have enough JRPGs in my queue as it is anyway. Then it's a matter of whether I should give S5 a try I guess.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Even with it's painfully slow start Suikoden 5 is the best one in the whole series

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm a guide addict to the point where I can't play stuff like Super Mario Bros. or Harvest Moon without a guide. At least the internet has saved me a lot of money, the only paper guides I get now are the free ones they send you when you resubscribe to Nintendo Power or something.

quote:

I'm actually going to have to make a Suikoden III decision soon. I've beaten S1 and got pretty far in S2 (I need to start over so I can get all 108 stars), but I've heard enough musings of mediocrity regarding S3 that I'm wondering if I can just stop after S2. I have enough JRPGs in my queue as it is anyway. Then it's a matter of whether I should give S5 a try I guess.

S3 was my first Suikoden game and I nearly quit it after three chapters of doing the same thing over and over. I hated the characters and the plot seemed to be going nowhere. A friend told me to keep going, and I finally started liking it about 30 hours later. It's a drat long game, my playthrough was around 75 hours. I'd say play S5 first, it's also long (about 60 hours) but it's worth it. Just get past the 10 hour intro.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Tae posted:

FFXII was the worst about that. I don't know how it got into design. Hay let's make the ultimate weapon impossible to get if you happen to open any of these specific chests spaced out through the game. It was even more annoying that chest contents were somewhat random. It used a system where a chest could have 3 different items, each of them with its own chance to appear, so you could get all three or just one of them. There's a specific chest in the tomb where it could drop a pretty powerful sword much earlier than you can buy it. If you leave the area by moving 2-3 zones away the chest will respawn so you can try over and over but the chance to drop was like 5% or lower.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I remember playing FFX-2 and then hearing I couldn't get 100% because I didn't talk to a moogle or something during the introduction.

Guides have their place. I really hate physical strategy guides aside from their art though. The Ogre Battle Tactics one actually HIDES information from you, like a super secret that not even the guide you paid for is allowed to tell you

(It's also wrong in a few places, but a good guide side from that)

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Ice Blue posted:

FFXII was the worst about that. I don't know how it got into design. Hay let's make the ultimate weapon impossible to get if you happen to open any of these specific chests spaced out through the game. It was even more annoying that chest contents were somewhat random. It used a system where a chest could have 3 different items, each of them with its own chance to appear, so you could get all three or just one of them. There's a specific chest in the tomb where it could drop a pretty powerful sword much earlier than you can buy it. If you leave the area by moving 2-3 zones away the chest will respawn so you can try over and over but the chance to drop was like 5% or lower.

Any time you see a game do poo poo like this it's almost always done to force people to buy guides for the game by punishing everyone who doesn't.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

Just gonna say it: I am in literal disbelief that people actually buy and use strategy guides.

I bought the BradyGames guide for Tales of Symphonia just because there's so much extra stuff in that game and it was a pretty well-made guide. I want to say I bought it after beating the game at least once though I'm not sure. At any rate, that was the last one I ever bought because these days you can find all that stuff for free with minimal effort.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but GOG is selling Witcher:EE for $4.99.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Oldstench posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but GOG is selling Witcher:EE for $4.99.

I know this game has a lot of hate, but seriously if you haven't played it yet it's worth picking up. At that price you're not exactly loosing anything and you might find yourself having a shitload of fun :D I'm currently finishing another play through of it in time for the sequel next week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Witcher has a lot of hate? Why?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

VDay posted:

The Witcher has a lot of hate? Why?
Most people quit the game in Chapter 2 cause it's a lot of running around town playing Detective.

Also the combat is basically a simple rhythm game with rock-paper-scissor elements (still pretty fun as it looks pretty at least).

Finally, the game has a lot of bad history pre-Enhanced Edition. It's a good thing they released EE for free to past customers, as the original Witcher was very frustrating to play with 5-10 minute loading times between areas/entered a building/etc.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I think the detective stuff was pretty awesome, but the constant tangent quests in the swamp and the overall quest density is just way too much in Chapter 2.

Although, the journal doesn't help you much with the detective stuff. It's pretty confusing and it could probably use some improvement.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Oldstench posted:

That's an amazing deal for that amount of content. I only played the EE and found it very polished. It starts a bit slow, and there is a lot of running around from time to time, but it's not too bad. If you haven't played it yet, now is the time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Whoa, I'd better get on this since I haven't gotten around to beating it and apparently The Witcher 2 has save importation from the first game and is out in a week! And I can't find my discs.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I keep waiting the next Final Fantasy to have high-rez sprite-based graphics but in truth realize this will never be :gonk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ross posted:

I keep waiting the next Final Fantasy to have high-rez sprite-based graphics but in truth realize this will never be :gonk:
Why do you keep waiting for this? FF13 was downright beautiful at parts.

Granted, an RPG with BlazBlue quality sprites would be great, but FF as a series has had more 3D games than sprite-based games at this point.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Rascyc posted:

Most people quit the game in Chapter 2 cause it's a lot of running around town playing Detective.
Hey this is when I quit playing it.

I started playing that Mardek flash game yesterday, got through the first chapter and am eager to start the second. It's a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation, thread.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Endorph posted:

Why do you keep waiting for this? FF13 was downright beautiful at parts.

Granted, an RPG with BlazBlue quality sprites would be great, but FF as a series has had more 3D games than sprite-based games at this point.

I'm just nostalgic is all, no real other reason.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Amrosorma posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but I'd love to play more loot-driven RPG games like Diablo, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight. I've only played the above three so anything else would be great to check out.

Hell, are there any other games that are like Borderlands? I would actually prefer something more action-y and not so click-based.

It would be awesome if I could buy your recommendations on Steam :allears:

Does anyone have any ideas? I want to throw money at loot-driven games :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ross posted:

I'm just nostalgic is all, no real other reason.
Sprites don't mean the game'd be anything like the old FFs, though. And if they were High Resolution they probably wouldn't even be in the old game's sprite style.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Endorph posted:

Sprites don't mean the game'd be anything like the old FFs, though. And if they were High Resolution they probably wouldn't even be in the old game's sprite style.

Once again, I just like sprite-based graphics in my RPGs and would enjoy a new one with beautiful sprites, which is not common these days.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Sprite based animation especially high definition sprite based animation takes a ludicrously long time to do. for an example of how bad an idea this is from a development perspective see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Fighters_XII

the end result was.. unimpressive honestly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coolio posted:

Even with it's painfully slow start Suikoden 5 is the best one in the whole series
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if it actually is good, Suikoden 5's medium makes pretty much every scene with any voice acting in it at all absolutely unbearable. Pretty much the only two VAs who didn't suck in that game were for Ferid and Georg, and they were probably the same person.

And its soundtrack was, with like ten exceptions (these exceptions are, admittedly, really loving good, but a quarter of them are "classic" Suikoden themes anyway), terribly grating. I dunno if it was that they chose bad synth, or just that the songs actually were crappy, or what, but they are pretty much unlistenable.

Ross posted:

Once again, I just like sprite-based graphics in my RPGs and would enjoy a new one with beautiful sprites, which is not common these days.
Well you probably played it, but Mother 3 is pretty much the most recent. The World Ends With You, maybe? I couldn't play it, the cast was just too horrible. Even after Neku lightens up, they just throw more annoying, unchanging archetypes at you. Radiant Historia does DS-res sprites in a polygonal world and I dunno, maybe you're just a bit nostalgic? I mean, I totally understand and agree, really good spritework will never age, but RH has a kind of nostalgic feel to it, but not as much as the reviews might lead you to believe.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2011

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There are quite a few sprite based RPGs on the PSP. All DS/PSP games should have been sprite based, since their 3D blew, but whatever!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Rascyc posted:

Also the combat is basically a simple rhythm game with rock-paper-scissor elements (still pretty fun as it looks pretty at least).

Finally, the game has a lot of bad history pre-Enhanced Edition. It's a good thing they released EE for free to past customers, as the original Witcher was very frustrating to play with 5-10 minute loading times between areas/entered a building/etc.

Sadly the hate continued to the EE edition, which doesn't deserve it. The voice acting is such an improvement... I know in places it can be terrible but it's SO MUCH better than it was. The German and English has been mostly reworked since original, not as big a deal as the loading times, but was one of my "pet peeves".

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if it actually is good, Suikoden 5's medium makes pretty much every scene with any voice acting in it at all absolutely unbearable. Pretty much the only two VAs who didn't suck in that game were for Ferid and Georg, and they were probably the same person.

I played the undub and the voice acting was fine, don't know what the English speaking VAs sound like though.

also yeah the music is for the most part unremarkable, still loved the game though. Even the "painfully slow start" people go on about I found really interesting and fun

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I have heard waaaaaaay worse dubs than Suikoden 5. I'd say it was mediocre. The big problem was iirc you couldn't skip scenes I think.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You can skip scenes, and the voice acting is not just acceptable, it is phenomenal a fair amount of the time. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is wrong with people if they have a problem with the voice acting. Not every minor character has a good voice actor, but some characters like Zoltan may actually qualify for inclusion in a "best game voice acting ever" award. I still think of Zoltan fondly because his voice actor did such an amazing job bringing his personality to life. Same with Geralt, even though I am sure people hated his voice. Female characters did not fare as well overall, though, I suppose.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Quarex posted:

You can skip scenes, and the voice acting is not just acceptable, it is phenomenal a fair amount of the time. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is wrong with people if they have a problem with the voice acting. Not every minor character has a good voice actor, but some characters like Zoltan may actually qualify for inclusion in a "best game voice acting ever" award. I still think of Zoltan fondly because his voice actor did such an amazing job bringing his personality to life. Same with Geralt, even though I am sure people hated his voice. Female characters did not fare as well overall, though, I suppose.
those aren't characters in Suikoden 5 :confused:

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Debating on a game to pick up today. Gamestop has Alpha Protocol for 30 dollars, Nier for 20, and Bayonetta for 20 as well. Yeah I know Bayonetta isn't an RPG but the other two are and I figure some of you might have played and like Bayonetta so it was more appropriate to ask here.

Also they only have Nier for 360. I'd probably prefer PS3 for RPGs but it doesn't matter too much to me unless one version is obviously better. Is there much difference between the two version?

I've heard great things about AP's story and the setting intrigues me as I've not played too many great spy games, much less an RPG that lets you control the story extremely well. I heard the gameplay has issues but I'm willing to look past it since Obsidian tends to make some great stories.

I don't know much anything about Nier other than I hear the characters are really well done and fleshed out (though I may me thinking of another game).

As for Bayonetta, I was initially turned off by it since it seemed like a gratuitous boobified DMC clone but since the end of 2010, I've heard a lot of sites praise it for some really awesome scenes. A friend played it and liked it. And a goon mentioned to me that Platinum was one of the few games developers that really shined last year, especially with Bayonetta.

If AP was 20 bucks, it'd probably be first choice for me. But it being 50% more expensive than the other two gives me pause.

Edit: Another option is 3D Dot Game Heroes, which I've been meaning to pick up for a while. I think it's 20 or 30 now.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 11, 2011

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ice Blue posted:

Debating on a game to pick up today. Gamestop has Alpha Protocol for 30 dollars, Nier for 20, and Bayonetta for 20 as well. Yeah I know Bayonetta isn't an RPG but the other two are and I figure some of you might have played and like Bayonetta so it was more appropriate to ask here.

Also they only have Nier for 360. I'd probably prefer PS3 for RPGs but it doesn't matter too much to me unless one version is obviously better. Is there much difference between the two version?

I've heard great things about AP's story and the setting intrigues me as I've not played too many great spy games, much less an RPG that lets you control the story extremely well. I heard the gameplay has issues but I'm willing to look past it since Obsidian tends to make some great stories.

I don't know much anything about Nier other than I hear the characters are really well done and fleshed out (though I may me thinking of another game).

As for Bayonetta, I was initially turned off by it since it seemed like a gratuitous boobified DMC clone but since the end of 2010, I've heard a lot of sites praise it for some really awesome scenes. A friend played it and liked it. And a goon mentioned to me that Platinum was one of the few games developers that really shined last year, especially with Bayonetta.

If AP was 20 bucks, it'd probably be first choice for me. But it being 50% more expensive than the other two gives me pause.

Edit: Another option is 3D Dot Game Heroes, which I've been meaning to pick up for a while. I think it's 20 or 30 now.

I wouldn't pay 30 bucks for Alpha Protocol. I mean, I did pay 60 bucks for it but that was a mistake. The story is meh (actually downright stupid in some parts) but the dialogue can be pretty neat (even if Mike Thorton's VA is poo poo) and it's pretty cool how your choice influence the way the story ends up playing out. The whole thing is basically a Choose Your Own Adventure with really poo poo gameplay. The bosses are absolutely terrible and the gunplay in general is pretty bad; the only way I had any fun was by playing it as a stealthy rear end-hole pistol-badass secret agent and even then I just wanted to snap the disc in half after the final boss.

Your mileage may vary though, tons of people think this game is great. I just think gameplay > story when I'm playing a game, otherwise why not just read an actual Choose Your Own Adventure, it's not like the writing in AP is much better.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Nier was a fantastic game. None of the specific portions of it were done amazingly but it more than any other game I can remember is truly a sum of its parts. Everything just comes together so well. Voice acting, story, characterization, the best music I can EVER remember in a videogame. Some good beatem up action to boot. You can tear rear end around the plains on the back of a giant boar then hop off and punch sheep(and get a trophy for it) And theres a great twist in the second playthrough. I dropped 60 on it when it came out and dont regret a second of it. Some people say its grindy but honestly its only as grindy as you want it to be.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

TheOriginalEd posted:

Nier was a fantastic game. None of the specific portions of it were done amazingly but it more than any other game I can remember is truly a sum of its parts. Everything just comes together so well. Voice acting, story, characterization, the best music I can EVER remember in a videogame. Some good beatem up action to boot. You can tear rear end around the plains on the back of a giant boar then hop off and punch sheep(and get a trophy for it) And theres a great twist in the second playthrough. I dropped 60 on it when it came out and dont regret a second of it. Some people say its grindy but honestly its only as grindy as you want it to be.

This is pretty much how I feel about Nier. It gets grindy if you're going for all the achievements/trophies but for regular play it's not bad at all. I played it on the 360 and it seemed fine, but I didn't do much research on which version was better since the 360 was the only one I could find.

I don't know anything about Alpha Protocol but I can say that Bayonetta is very good. I didn't even dig the sex appeal stuff or find it that funny (I thought it was way overdone) but the gameplay is excellent. Platinum/Clover has made a lot of good games but I really think Bayonetta is their best game yet.

3D Dot Game Heroes is another one that I put a lot of time into. If you like the original Zelda then go for it. The script is great and it's mostly referencing and making fun of other games, but under that the game itself is also really fun. You get less extra items than most Zelda games but you get like 40 different swords that do different things and that more than makes up for it since they're all upgradable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

glod posted:

3D Dot Game Heroes is another one...
I really enjoyed this game for the most part; however, don't try to grind out all the swords or you will really start to dislike it. At least that's what happened to me, but I have no one to blame but myself.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I wouldn't pay 30 bucks for Alpha Protocol. I mean, I did pay 60 bucks for it but that was a mistake. The story is meh (actually downright stupid in some parts) but the dialogue can be pretty neat (even if Mike Thorton's VA is poo poo) and it's pretty cool how your choice influence the way the story ends up playing out. The whole thing is basically a Choose Your Own Adventure with really poo poo gameplay. The bosses are absolutely terrible and the gunplay in general is pretty bad; the only way I had any fun was by playing it as a stealthy rear end-hole pistol-badass secret agent and even then I just wanted to snap the disc in half after the final boss.

Your mileage may vary though, tons of people think this game is great. I just think gameplay > story when I'm playing a game, otherwise why not just read an actual Choose Your Own Adventure, it's not like the writing in AP is much better.

This person is wrong on almost every point. The gameplay is fine as long as you realize that the game is an rpg and not a third person shooter. The real draw of AP is seeing how much changes on subsequent playthroughs, and the game is short enough that multiple playthroughs are not a chore. I already made a post a few pages back about this, but the AP thread has been going strong for a year because of the excellence of this game's plot.

EDIT: Bayonetta was cool for a laugh, but I don't care for that sort of frenetic mega-combo memorizing type of gameplay, if you're into those types of games though, it's supposed to be awesome.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't know about Nier but Bayonetta is supposed to be MUCH better on the 360. The PS3 version has crappy load times and other problems that aren't exactly game-breaking but kind of suck anyway so if you have the choice, go with the 360 version.

As far as the game itself, I'm not really even into DMC and other poo poo like that and I thought it was really fun. I thought it looked stupid too at first but the demo sold me totally. And yeah, there's stupid fan service but it's mostly just over-the-top and silly rather than gross, at least based on what I saw (didn't quite beat it).

I haven't played Nier but it has some serious goon approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

This person is wrong on almost every point. The gameplay is fine as long as you realize that the game is an rpg and not a third person shooter. The real draw of AP is seeing how much changes on subsequent playthroughs, and the game is short enough that multiple playthroughs are not a chore. I already made a post a few pages back about this, but the AP thread has been going strong for a year because of the excellence of this game's plot.

EDIT: Bayonetta was cool for a laugh, but I don't care for that sort of frenetic mega-combo memorizing type of gameplay, if you're into those types of games though, it's supposed to be awesome.

I'm not wrong, I'm entitled to my own opinion about the game. As I stated, I acknowledge that lots of people think AP is awesome, but I think it's poo poo. I think it's a cop-out to excuse the poor gun-play by claiming that the game is an RPG, not a shooter. Well, unfortunately for AP, gun-play is the CORE gameplay mechanic, alongside dialogue, so I think it's fair to judge the game based on how well it performs in that regards. If Mass Effect 2's gameplay was as bad as AP's, I suspect it would not be so highly regarded.

And I'm sorry, but I think any 'spy' game that is punctuated by bullet-spong boss sequences is stupid. Again, if the gun-play is not supposed to be so important, then why make it the centerpiece of every single boss fight?

Anyhow, I'm not saying you shouldn't like the game or that it's 'objectively' bad, I just personally did not enjoy it at all and regretted buying it (and this is as someone who's played every single Obsidian title ever and enjoyed most of them).

Perhaps the person asking for advice values story over gameplay by a huge margin, in which case they may very well be satisfied with AP, but if they're anything like me (and there are tons of people who hate AP, it's a polarizing game), then they won't and I've saved them 30 bucks. Don't be a dick and call me 'wrong', I just don't happen to agree with you.