Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I wish my roommate was like all of you when it game to gear. I buy nice things and he just makes fun of me:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

I wish my roommate was like all of you when it game to gear. I buy nice things and he just makes fun of me:smith:

We all spent ten bucks to post on the internet, your friends didn't.

Moral of the story: get them to sign up here, and soon they too will be willing to spend all their money on hobbies.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

runoverbobby posted:

A simple, inexpensive and oft-neglected piece of equipment that I highly recommend, if people don't already use them, are suspenders. I bought a pair at the beginning of this season and they add so much comfort and stability.

If you don't wear suspenders you're probably forced to tighten the buckle on your pants extremely tight, and I've always found that uncomfortable, particularly when getting into a deep knee bend or when sitting down. In my unqualified, unscientific opinion I also believe that wearing your pants super tight around the waist pinches your quad muscles in an undesirable way.

With suspenders I'm wearing hockey pants but it barely feels like I'm wearing hockey pants, which is great because everyone secretly wants to do things pantless :dance:
I'm all about suspenders, but...

How can wearing something tight at your waist pinch a muscle that inserts below your waist?

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I love suspenders too.

I never found that my pants where falling down or over tight or anything, but when I use suspenders it makes sure they are in exactly the right place at all times.

It also spreads the weight of your pants out more across your upper body instead of just leaving it all on your hips. Which I find helps you lengthen your stride a bit easier, or at least allows for a bit freer movement.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

We all spent ten bucks to post on the internet, your friends didn't.

Moral of the story: get them to sign up here, and soon they too will be willing to spend all their money on hobbies.

Yeah my one friend who makes the most comments is just super cheap. His hockey pants are 4 sizes too big but he still wears them, he cut is elbow so in addition to his elbow pads not staying on, one of them has the entire inside covered in dried blood pool. But I'm the moran for replacing worn out gear:smith:

So the team that I put together that lost our first game 12-4 is 2-0 in the regular season. The roller kids are finally starting to get the hang of ice and making progress. The team we beat last night only lost 5 games last season and we won 6-4 and their ringer scored all 4 of their goals(he was top 4 in scoring last season). And the end of the game they told us that we suck:confused:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

coldwind posted:

How can wearing something tight at your waist pinch a muscle that inserts below your waist?

Quadriceps is a group of muscles, but it looks like it's not as inclusive as I thought. So you're right. Looks like the one I was pinching is called Sartorius—long muscle that runs from the base of the knee to the upper hip/lower abdomen.

http://www.osteoarthritisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Quadriceps_Osteoarthritis.png

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

We lost what may or may not have been the championship tonight thanks to a complete lack of effort on the part of everyone on the team. What makes it so lovely is that we'd won 6 of our last 7 thanks to our "coach", who wasn't there.

Beer league...

:negative:

Oh, and I tried suspenders for the first time tonight at the advice of runoverbobby. It was quite a nice feeling not to have to cinch my waist up like a freakin' corset. Now I just need hockey pants that are't a size too small.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So my team of mostly former roller plays won again last night against a team that only lost five game last season. For a team that lost our first pre-season game 12-4 to 2-0 and in first place, I gotta say I'm an awesome GM:whatup:

The other team also told us we suck after we beat them and all 4 of their goals were scored by their ringer:smith:

poser fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 23, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

poser posted:

Yeah my one friend who makes the most comments is just super cheap. His hockey pants are 4 sizes too big but he still wears them, he cut is elbow so in addition to his elbow pads not staying on, one of them has the entire inside covered in dried blood pool. But I'm the moran for replacing worn out gear:smith:

So the team that I put together that lost our first game 12-4 is 2-0 in the regular season. The roller kids are finally starting to get the hang of ice and making progress. The team we beat last night only lost 5 games last season and we won 6-4 and their ringer scored all 4 of their goals(he was top 4 in scoring last season). And the end of the game they told us that we suck:confused:

poser posted:

So my team of mostly former roller plays won again last night against a team that only lost five game last season. For a team that lost our first pre-season game 12-4 to 2-0 and in first place, I gotta say I'm an awesome GM:whatup:

The other team also told us we suck after we beat them and all 4 of their goals were scored by their ringer:smith:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2-gaming winning streak over despite out-shooting them. :smith:

Hey Topoisomerase, guess which amazing hockey director isn't going to do anything about the team of all ringers?

From what our captain tells me, he may make all games against them exhibition games, but probably still allow them to play in the playoffs. Which doesn't solve the problem at all.

Dealing with him is accurately depicted by :effort:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hey Topoisomerase, guess which amazing hockey director isn't going to do anything about the team of all ringers?

From what our captain tells me, he may make all games against them exhibition games, but probably still allow them to play in the playoffs. Which doesn't solve the problem at all.

Dealing with him is accurately depicted by :effort:

What good does that do anybody? :confused:

There's like absolutely no regulation on people playing in leagues far below where they should be. I've seen people with night/friend preferences play down and like, sit back on defense and just feed passes to the less skilled players on the team, which is okay IMO and I think one of the reasons the "rules" on classification started being relaxed, but there are definitely a growing number of people who go onto the Friday/Sunday leagues and just showboat the whole time. I mean wtf is the point? Cool toe drag against these dudes who just started skating last year, bro. You sure showed them, I'll bet there's a pro scout right there watchin ya. :rolleyes:

And the worst part is that if he doesn't "like" your team he will be pissy about it, whereas if he does he just blows it off.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 23, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
If you buy pants that fit properly you won't need suspenders :c00lbert:

No seriously, they should sit perfectly without them, but I can see how a lanky/skinny dude might need them to make them sit at the right place. I just hate having (relatively) useless poo poo touching my upper body.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if my pants don't fit me right but they aren't uncomfortable and protect most everything so I think they're right?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Topoisomerase posted:

There's like absolutely no regulation on people playing in leagues far below where they should be.

adulthockey.txt

While we're on the topic of annoying tendencies in beer leagues, how long is everyone's typical shift? In every league I've played in, they are universally too long; people expect you to take two minute shifts and are reluctant to change if you try to end your shift early.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

runoverbobby posted:

adulthockey.txt

While we're on the topic of annoying tendencies in beer leagues, how long is everyone's typical shift? In every league I've played in, they are universally too long; people expect you to take two minute shifts and are reluctant to change if you try to end your shift early.

It depends on what level you're playing at. Low level, they expect long shifts because no one is "tired" after 30 seconds. Higher level, they expect you off after 45 to a minute, maybe even after 30 depending on how the shift goes.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I play 3 x 15 minute periods and everyone will start looking for a chance to switch at about the 45 second mark. The first couple games guys would try to go 1:30 or 1:45 before trying to change, but you could seem them totally drop out of the game in the third.

Everyone in our league has played about 10 years of minor hockey with a lot of those guys playing a few of those years in AA or A.

I'm really enjoying it more then when I started playing again in that adult beginner league. The ref's here are a lot better, the team works together a WHOLE bunch better. I figured I should push myself and try to play at the highest level I could with my abilities as a hockey player. I also know there are guys still playing in that beginner league who are much better then I am. I think they just like being the big fish in the little pond.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Forwards - 30 to 45 seconds.
Defense - 45 seconds to a minute.

The most egregious violator of this rule is, of course, the guy I change for.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm really sick and hopped up on meds, sorry:smith:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

If you buy pants that fit properly you won't need suspenders :c00lbert:

No seriously, they should sit perfectly without them, but I can see how a lanky/skinny dude might need them to make them sit at the right place. I just hate having (relatively) useless poo poo touching my upper body.
As if the entire range of adult human waists can perfectly fit into one of four sizes...small, medium, large, XL? Hell, there's a poo poo ton more jean sizes then there are hockey pant sizes and people still need to wear belts. WHATEVER SUSPENDERS ARE THE BOMB. They help me hold my pants in the perfect spot without having to tighten them like a corset. :c00lbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

runoverbobby posted:

adulthockey.txt

When I played on a team with guys, some dudes took crazy long shifts like 2 minutes yeah. My women's team it's 45 seconds-1 minute and we're really good about it. But then again, we work really well as a team in most aspects - technically we're a travel/tournament team.

edit: and it's still weird to me to get used to the dynamics in a beer league; prior to this I had only played travel or collegiate level and it's hard for me to grasp why people wouldn't want to play in the absolute highest skilled division that they could.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 23, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I bought suspenders when I started playing and had the damnedest time with them making my pants too high until I realized I had accidentally gotten junior suspenders and quit wearing them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I hang around and watch pickup hockey after my lessons, some of the guys out there take "shifts" in the 3-4 minute range.

Granted, most of them aren't skating very hard, so they probably aren't getting tired. But when there's 6 or more dudes on the bench waiting for a turn, 20 minutes between shifts is ridiculous.

Though it does make it easy to spot the guys who have some college level experience.. they tend to skate hard, and take proper shifts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

What good does that do anybody? :confused:

There's like absolutely no regulation on people playing in leagues far below where they should be. I've seen people with night/friend preferences play down and like, sit back on defense and just feed passes to the less skilled players on the team, which is okay IMO and I think one of the reasons the "rules" on classification started being relaxed, but there are definitely a growing number of people who go onto the Friday/Sunday leagues and just showboat the whole time. I mean wtf is the point? Cool toe drag against these dudes who just started skating last year, bro. You sure showed them, I'll bet there's a pro scout right there watchin ya. :rolleyes:

And the worst part is that if he doesn't "like" your team he will be pissy about it, whereas if he does he just blows it off.

Here's the extent of Derick's effort:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/display-schedule.php?team=84&season=19&tlev=0&tseq=0&league=1
Exhibition
Exhibition
Exhibition

Pretty funny, but still doesn't solve anything. We all still have to play these sandbagging shitheads. One of our guys went back and checked previous seasons' rosters, and 10 of them previously played in Silver.

Out of the previous 5 games the statkeeper recorded shots, their shot margins were:
+27
+22
+51
+28
+41
= +169 shot margin, in 5 games. Yup, Bronze team for sure. :rolleyes:

Ok, done whining.

EazyBreezy
Jul 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

When I hang around and watch pickup hockey after my lessons, some of the guys out there take "shifts" in the 3-4 minute range.

Granted, most of them aren't skating very hard, so they probably aren't getting tired. But when there's 6 or more dudes on the bench waiting for a turn, 20 minutes between shifts is ridiculous.

Though it does make it easy to spot the guys who have some college level experience.. they tend to skate hard, and take proper shifts.

Big hockey fan but never played growing up so I have always wondered this...do the coaches call for what line they want next or how is it done? And what is an "ideal" shift length?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Here's the extent of Derick's effort:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/display-schedule.php?team=84&season=19&tlev=0&tseq=0&league=1
Exhibition
Exhibition
Exhibition

Pretty funny, but still doesn't solve anything. We all still have to play these sandbagging shitheads. One of our guys went back and checked previous seasons' rosters, and 10 of them previously played in Silver.

Out of the previous 5 games the statkeeper recorded shots, their shot margins were:
+27
+22
+51
+28
+41
= +169 shot margin, in 5 games. Yup, Bronze team for sure. :rolleyes:

Ok, done whining.

When I was playing roller in San Diego we had a travel team that played in our league and they would pretty much just dominate everyone.. Most of the people in the league were older and didnt take kindly to them winning by such high margins and acting like they did. They had 3-4 games in a row end in fights and they were kicked out of the division.

EazyBreezy posted:

Big hockey fan but never played growing up so I have always wondered this...do the coaches call for what line they want next or how is it done? And what is an "ideal" shift length?

When I was coaching a house league team we told them 45 seconds to a minute, if you're not tired after that you're not skating hard enough.

poser fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I always thought you were supposed to shift change before you got tired at all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

45 seconds is the standard. There's some neat graphs floating around the internet of NHL players and "effectiveness" graphed against shift length if you look around.. the chances for errors go up significantly after 60 seconds. At 120 seconds it's basically a crapshoot whether you help or hinder your team.

I've never done organized hockey, but from what I've gathered, coaches are always directing the shift changes. Players both on and off the ice will know who's replacing who, but it's up to the coach to manage matchups and his players' energy levels.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EazyBreezy posted:

Usually different coaches will handle offensive lines and D pairings, sometimes the head coach will do his forward lines, sometimes he'll delegate it. The coach will call out which line is up next (maybe by number, by who the center is, by nickname, whatever), and then that line is ready to go as the line on the ice comes off. Generally the guys on the ice have discretion on when they come off; sometimes there will be a designated "last guy off" (usually the best defensive player on the line) who won't leave until the other two are changed up (so that the team doesn't wind up with an odd man rush). Typically forwards need to wait until the team gets possession and gets it deep in the o-zone before they change on the fly.

Defensemen are pretty much the same, coach will tell you what pair he wants and then you're on your own to make the change when appropriate. Defensemen can change anytime the puck is up the ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our team usually sticks to 60-90 second shifts. Any less than 60 and people start whining about being short-shifted. We've got a few guys that do 2-3 minute shifts and throw everything off, which is insanely annoying.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Oh man, the worst is when you're playing a bunch of ringers and you CAN'T get off for a change because the puck never leaves your zone. IT'S THE PERFECT STORM.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I know people kick people off teams for being a douchebag and other things.. But what if the guy is just really annoying?

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
just got back from the HNA Championship Tournament in Toronto. I was expecting a bunch of rear end in a top hat from each respective city, but the teams we played against were all pretty civil. I was really suprised at how good the atmosphere was.

Goes to show that hockey can still bring out the good in people, once the game is over anyway!

Anyone here even play HNA and make it out to the finals?

I think the real finals (A league?) is in vegas. That's most likely even better.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

coldwind posted:

As if the entire range of adult human waists can perfectly fit into one of four sizes...small, medium, large, XL? Hell, there's a poo poo ton more jean sizes then there are hockey pant sizes and people still need to wear belts.
Jeans aren't as adjustable / elastic as hockey pants. A-ha!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nizox posted:

just got back from the HNA Championship Tournament in Toronto. I was expecting a bunch of rear end in a top hat from each respective city, but the teams we played against were all pretty civil. I was really suprised at how good the atmosphere was.

Goes to show that hockey can still bring out the good in people, once the game is over anyway!

Anyone here even play HNA and make it out to the finals?

I think the real finals (A league?) is in vegas. That's most likely even better.
I played HNA a couple of years and we lost in the finals my last year. My uncle had played on the team and got to go to Vegas one year for it. He said it was fun, but the rink was in a casino basement and the ice was so bad it was almost down to the bare concrete. Things have probably changed though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Today I learned that goalies hate it when you whack 'em after they've caught the puck.

Ok, I didn't really learn it today, but the guy was so butthurt he wouldn't shake my hand after the game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Dangerllama posted:

Today I learned that goalies hate it when you whack 'em after they've caught the puck.

Ok, I didn't really learn it today, but the guy was so butthurt he wouldn't shake my hand after the game.
How hard did you whack him and how late was it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it possible to get lace bite, or something that feels like lace bite, but only in my pinky toes? Got this developing issue where I feel fine skating, maybe a little bit of ache, but as soon as I get off the ice the pinky toe on both feet explode in pain.

Pop off my skate and it hurts near the metatarsal joint at the front of my foot, only on the top and bottom, and only on the pinky toe. So my guess is it's a tendon issue. It feels very much like lace bite, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Rest for 10 minutes and the pain is gone and I'm fine until the next time I skate.

Clenching my foot while skating maybe? Tendon rubbing on the inside of the skate?

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

edit: and it's still weird to me to get used to the dynamics in a beer league; prior to this I had only played travel or collegiate level and it's hard for me to grasp why people wouldn't want to play in the absolute highest skilled division that they could.

I can't figure this out either. When I started playing again someone got me to go into a beginner's league and it was horrible. By no means did I destroy the league or consider myself above it, but the complete lack of level competition was just so boring & frustrating that I would basically coast around and lazily stay in position. Meanwhile the one or two "ringers" on our team would play like dicks and feel like superstars when they put up two goals per game. And the same would occur on the other side.

Since then I've moved up three divisions & the fact that I'm surrounded by better skaters than me just makes me play harder. Better workout, more fun, faster pace, better game. And I'm nowhere near the top levels yet. Anyone who stays in a low level league and dominates the poo poo out of it probably has a tiny dick.

Evil Mother Teresa fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 23, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

How hard did you whack him and how late was it?

Just a little whack to try to free the puck, and it was about a half-second - if that - after he caught the puck. He seemed like he didn't have a really great grasp on it, so I gave him a little tappy-tap. This was all before the whistle.

He screamed "what the gently caress!" and I, of course, immediately skated to the box.

I play whistle to whistle. :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I've never done organized hockey, but from what I've gathered, coaches are always directing the shift changes. Players both on and off the ice will know who's replacing who, but it's up to the coach to manage matchups and his players' energy levels.

When I was younger, the coach would call us off or ask the next person out to call it. But once we got into higher levels, (barring specific circumstances of course) if the coach had to call us off we knew the shift was way too long. And at the next practice, one of my coaches ensured that people who had to be called off the ice in the last game would get the pleasure of skating extra sprints to "burn off all that extra energy" they obviously had, since their shifts were so long.

Honestly, once you have played for awhile you kind of just "know" when it's time to change. It's hard to explain, but you kinda learn how to gauge the right point with respect to your own energy level, where the play is headed and how long you've been out. What I find is that a lot of players end up taking too long of shifts because the proper gameflow for a change is while the puck is controlled by your team and headed towards the other team's zone and well, a lot of people just don't want to change then even if they are getting winded because they want to score. Of course when play inevitably goes the other way they're exhausted and either wind up making a bad change or being totally ineffective at backchecking. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 24, 2011