Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Booker T & Edge and the shampoo commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
They used Helms' DUI arrest for a couple weeks before he got fired, IIRC.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake's real life injury was used in an angle with Money Inc.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Dickeye posted:

Gavin Loudspeaker is the guy I was talking about, I bet, on KBB he was Louden Noxious.

e: Quick google tells me I'm right.

Gavin was Louden Noxious for quite a while in CHIKARA as well, then came back one day having swapped his suit for leather trousers and changed his name to Gavin Loudspeaker and started singing songs before shows

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Lots of classy examples here just otoh:

Lawler's dead mom
Vince did a skit about JR being in a surgery and random JR stuff coming out of his rear end
HBK's Christianity was mocked pretty relentlessly when he feuded with Vince
Big Show's dead dad being towed by Big Bossman (Big Show's dad had actually died years before the angle but still)
Eddie's drug problems
Rey's best friend Eddie being dead

If wife participation counts as personal life then:
Angle wanting to have sex with Booker T's wife
Randy Orton RKOing Triple H's wife
the Rock being managed by Stone Cold's wife
Jericho punching HBK's wife

e:

Hirams Bitch posted:

Booker T & Edge and the shampoo commercial.

I thought the shampoo commercial was a work?

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 26, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you include WCW so so many,

Scott Hall's alcoholism, Sid and the Scissors, Ric Flair and Shane Douglas, Sid and the Scissors, Hulk Hogan and Billy Kidman, The NWO skit on the Four Horseman and Kevin Nash saying Arn Anderson was a drunk, Ric Flair and Eric Bishoff and that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Alex Riley joking about his DUI on the slammy raw. Admittedly it was a one off comment but still classless.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Triple H constantly bringing up Booker T.'s criminal history in reference to "THOSE people"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
In TNA:

-the Jeff/Kurt/Karen situation
-Mr Anderson's concussion
-To an extent, using a clip of Daffney being legit injured by Rosie Lottalove to make Rosie look like a monster.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Web Jew.0 posted:

Lots of classy examples here just otoh:

Lawler's dead mom
Vince did a skit about JR being in a surgery and random JR stuff coming out of his rear end
HBK's Christianity was mocked pretty relentlessly when he feuded with Vince
Big Show's dead dad being towed by Big Bossman (Big Show's dad had actually died years before the angle but still)
Eddie's drug problems
Rey's best friend Eddie being dead

What happened with Eddie's drug problems? Are you referring to him being held up as someone who turned his life around (which I believed happened), or was there some Jake Roberts-esque poo poo going on?

quote:

If wife participation counts as personal life then:
Angle wanting to have sex with Booker T's wife
Randy Orton RKOing Triple H's wife
the Rock being managed by Stone Cold's wife
Jericho punching HBK's wife

I'm looking more about personal issues moreso than an intrusion on/blurring of real life relationships. So Debra simply being 'involved' in the storyline isn't enough (because then we can basically invoke every single Hart family storyline in WWF/E.)

Like, where was Vince being a complete classless, insensitive rear end in a top hat when dealing with one of his performers.

Jake Roberts, Jeff Hardy & Scott Hall are all self explanatory.

Bryan Adam's 'Biker Crush' character would be another example, as he was arrested on charges of buying steroids and a handgun.

LOD both actually quit WWF because of that storyline being way too close to real life for their liking and were vocally against it at the time.

I think that JR's Bell's Palsy being used to further storylines (and worse, a lawsuit against WCW) is a good example, though.

Other examples that sort of fit into what I'm looking for, (although I'm primarily looking for WWE/WWF ones):

- that random indy sending a messed up Scott Hall out and then throwing him on promo videos on their website
- the Jeff Hardy/Sting match
- that godawful Legends of Wrestling and the Jake Roberts match

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

would you include the interview with Brian Pillman's widow that they hyped as if it were a promo?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I wonder if any of the women who had the fake miscarriages actually had one in real life.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Speaking of miscarriages. if Snitsky's twitter feed is anything to go by then his foot fetish is real :gonk:

quote:

@the_jada_fire loved ur JB video!!!! Great legs & feet! Just sayin....

quote:

@the_jada_fire hey Jada, luv ur werk! Especially the pantyhose vids! Lol just sayin!!!! Hava good won!

quote:

lmao!!!!! Can nvr be too into feet! Im just an expert on metatarcels

quote:

sorry everyone, not into guys feet!!!! I repeat not into guys feet!

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 26, 2011

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

apsouthern posted:

Speaking of miscarriages. if Snitsky's twitter feed is anything to go by then his foot fetish is real :gonk:

:psypop:

Are there any good Snitsky matches? Any, at all?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Yes, if you count the 2005 Royal Rumble.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Red posted:

Yes, if you count the 2005 Royal Rumble.

Was that the one where he murdered Paul London?

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Regarding WWE angles involving real-life personal events: Towards the start of last year, Miz was involved in a feud with MVP which brought up both MVP's time in prison and the hazing Miz received when he was a new member of the WWE locker room.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Grendels Dad posted:

:psypop:

I went to RAW in 2005, it was my first live show since the '99 Rumble and I had never seen Shawn Michaels live outside of the Rockers in the early 90s. Vince comes out to announce they're going to do the Beat the Clock thing with New Year's Revolution coming up. Shawn's music hits and me and my cousins get pretty excited since he can carry anyone to a good match. Angle/Shawn would've been a dream but Angle was also going to be in the EC at NYR so I was hoping for at least someonelike Shelton Benjamin. HBK gets in the ring and waits for his opponent...drumroll please..."IT WASN'T MY FAULT". Gene Snitsky everybody! :suicide:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Bearnt! posted:

I went to RAW in 2005, it was my first live show since the '99 Rumble and I had never seen Shawn Michaels live outside of the Rockers in the early 90s. Vince comes out to announce they're going to do the Beat the Clock thing with New Year's Revolution coming up. Shawn's music hits and me and my cousins get pretty excited since he can carry anyone to a good match. Angle/Shawn would've been a dream but Angle was also going to be in the EC at NYR so I was hoping for at least someonelike Shelton Benjamin. HBK gets in the ring and waits for his opponent...drumroll please..."IT WASN'T MY FAULT". Gene Snitsky everybody! :suicide:

Well, how was the match...?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

apsouthern posted:

Gavin was Louden Noxious for quite a while in CHIKARA as well, then came back one day having swapped his suit for leather trousers and changed his name to Gavin Loudspeaker and started singing songs before shows
He got electrocuted with Dasher Hatfield on a Podcast-a-go-go. Loudan reverted back to "A past personality" in Loudspeaker, Dasher was glitching out and reverted to past Create-a-Wrestler gimmicks.

It was "solved" when Player Uno blew out Create-a-Wrestler's cartridge.

So weird to remember Dasher as CAW.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Well, how was the match...?

Well given the fact the two things I remember most about the show are Mickie kissing Trish backstage and a great "Let's Go Cena!", "Let's Go Shelton!" chant within the crowd, I'd say not very memorable.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Bearnt! posted:

I'd say not very memorable.

It wasn't his fault.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Web Jew.0 posted:

I thought the shampoo commercial was a work?
I think it was, but there was also the 100% shoot where Edge made fun of Booker for getting the wrong answers on The Weakest Link!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bearnt! posted:

Well given the fact the two things I remember most about the show are Mickie kissing Trish backstage and a great "Let's Go Cena!", "Let's Go Shelton!" chant within the crowd, I'd say not very memorable.

Well, at least you didn't hate it :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

apsouthern posted:

Dude owns on every level and is the reason I want to like Chikara.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Was that the one where he murdered Paul London?

Yes - one of my favorite Rumble spots/bumps, too. It's up there with the Taka head bounce.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Red posted:

Yes - one of my favorite Rumble spots/bumps, too. It's up there with the Taka head bounce.

Absolutely agreed. Now there's another Snitsky-related thing I think I remember from that Rumble: Kane was in the ring and doing his usual Tearing poo poo Up-thing, then Snitsky enters, goes to the ring and even manages to put his finisher on Kane after some back-and-forth fighting- but the camera didn't catch it because they were on whoever entered after Snitsky. Poor, useless Snitsky :smith:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Snitsky had a finisher? Serious question.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Pumphandle Slam. Myep. He called it "Polish Abortion".

Why do I know this :psyduck:

Anyway, watching that Rumble now, and I think I can safely state that Snitsky, as useless as he was, was still better than Luther Reigns.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

DEAR RICHARD posted:

According to wikipedia he uses (used) CIMA's Egoist Schwein :psypop:

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Wasn't it just a pumphandle slam?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Pumphandle Slam. Myep. He called it "Polish Abortion".

Why do I know this :psyduck:

Anyway, watching that Rumble now, and I think I can safely state that Snitsky, as useless as he was, was still better than Luther Reigns.

Luther had a cool look. And that segment with Brock and some woman whose name escapes me where he was demanding food from the Thanksgiving spread was funny.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Red posted:

Except the Taka head bounce was a botch that left him out of action for months. For that reason, I'd put London's bump on top.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

This Rumble talk made me think of a question: What are the biggest spots missed by the camera during a Rumble? With so much going on in the ring, and the camera needing to get away from the ring for every single entrance, there's bound to be stuff that gets missed, finishers hit, confrontations cut short, even meaningful eliminations. Can you think of some situations like that that are more meaningful than Snitsky hitting his finisher on Kane?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

Luther had a cool look. And that segment with Brock and some woman whose name escapes me where he was demanding food from the Thanksgiving spread was funny.

GIVE ME SOME OF THEM PEAS

One of my favourite Smackdown segments of all time and why I tend to defend Luther.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

This Rumble talk made me think of a question: What are the biggest spots missed by the camera during a Rumble? With so much going on in the ring, and the camera needing to get away from the ring for every single entrance, there's bound to be stuff that gets missed, finishers hit, confrontations cut short, even meaningful eliminations. Can you think of some situations like that that are more meaningful than Snitsky hitting his finisher on Kane?

Part of the thing about WWE television is that they generally get every big spot on camera, live. This is probably the major production difference between WWE and TNA. I can't really think of too many big misses on WWE TV at any time, let alone a Rumble. Meanwhile TNA's cameras are usually out of position for every god-drat spot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Part of the thing about WWE television is that they generally get every big spot on camera, live. This is probably the major production difference between WWE and TNA. I can't really think of too many big misses on WWE TV at any time, let alone a Rumble. Meanwhile TNA's cameras are usually out of position for every god-drat spot.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "big" in this case. It was just noticeable in what I've watched from the 05 Rumble that there were some instance where a finisher was not caught on camera because someone new came in. But really, what you said is part of why I love the WWE production crew so much, so it would make sense if they weren't missing the really important stuff.

quote:

I mostly remembered him as one of the two stooges Kurt Angle recruited to his "stable" in order to feud with JBL's cabinet. That was a pretty big step down from mentoring WGTT, I felt, but now that you say it I do remember that I appreciated Reigns because he seemed to be kind of goofy a lot.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The only seriously missed spot I can remember seeing recently was Ricky Steamboat skinning the cat at Wrestlemania, and they just went ahead and had a 10 man tag match the next night on RAW where he did it again to make up for it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Why don't they just show the regular entrance in full screen, and a smaller, picture-in-picture of the wrestling ring until the Superstar gets to the ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Back in '08, I think, they missed Rey avoiding elimination by stepping on Miz and Morrison's backs. They got it on the replay though, so it wasn't missed entirely.