Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
one of the refs for our game tonight tried to tell our team that it was a real rule in hockey that you aren't allowed to skate the puck back behind your own net from the blue line and that it always had to be moving "forward"

and he was dead serious too.

Skatetown. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Topoisomerase posted:

can't wait!!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

one of the refs for our game tonight tried to tell our team that it was a real rule in hockey that you aren't allowed to skate the puck back behind your own net from the blue line and that it always had to be moving "forward"

gently caress that, if he seriously tried pulling poo poo like that I would report him to USA Hockey.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

You're pretty much incredible. I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon sometime, then I'll probably head over to the rink for rat hockey and see how much I can get to translate to ice, at least for now. Really looking forward to it.

Since you've taken such a personal interest in me, I'd like to at least get you a new avatar or something. Let me know.

EDIT: I can totally feel how close I am, too. It's gonna be awesome the first time I really rip one, I can tell. So excited.
New avatar? But this is only...it's only a few months old!! Er something. Already have plat, blah blah blah. Thank you for the generosity, though. I just...don't have any use/need for any of that right now.

Honestly, best thing you can do is to keep posting videos and letting us know what hints are working the best for you. Like I mentioned, a lot of my teammates are learning to shoot, too, and your videos are really helpful to help deconstruct what they're doing wrong and how to change. Also, they're really insightful because we can see the results of our hints and tips and see which ones work and which ones need to be refined.

I have a lot of close, personal friends who are learning to play the game, too, and I haven't been able to get them to shoot and this is really helping me figure out what advice to dispense and what not. When they get good enough to get out of the beginner league, we'll finally all be able to move up. So really, you're indirectly helping me move up a league.

On a slightly related note, our N/E team got a tough, tough 5-3 win last night. Hadn't played for 3 weeks. Missing 4 guys (including 3 of the 7 guys who can hockey stop), leaving us with 8 total skaters. We run 3 defense, 5 forwards. We thought it was going to be a rough night and were hoping for a moral victory but managed to get a regular one. It was awesome. Everyone being tired early made us want to pass more. It was good.

I had a bit of an "offensive outburst" on the blue line, picking up 2 helpers, both to my buddy who later potted his third goal of the night without my help. Awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome. Never heard of a backcourt violation in hockey.

All the refs at Skatetown :allears: can be ranked here:
http://www.ihonc-ca.com/eval.cgi

We had some pretty comical calls last season so we kept that link handy.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lawnie posted:

More videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lP2NnuZ9E

This next one is with a 65 flex intermediate stick I bought for real cheap on hockey monkey, whereas the first video is with the wooden one I bought when I first started playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7J5aC1Mzo

I think starting with the puck much further back has helped a lot. I think I need more knee bend so that I can get more of my weight on the stick to flex it, and I also need to work on the wrist action in the follow through.

Lastly, many of the shots I took were going wide of the net to the left. Watching the videos, it looks like maybe I am opening up the toe too much before I start the motion of my shot.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Stuff like this is when I realize that SA was :10bux: well spent.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Quite a bit better. :)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

More videos

Not to add too much more, as coldwind is giving you solid advice, but...

Look at your target when shooting. Instead of looking at the puck, try to feel it on your stick. Not looking at the puck when you shoot feels weird at first, but you will be substantially more accurate if you look where you're shooting. The secondary benefit of looking at the target is that it helps load your core (your body naturally wants to turn where you're looking).

Good luck, man. It's amazing to see your progress in such a short amount of time. Now I know why all NHL players had old nets or beat-up clothes dryers in their basements.

e: Oh yeah, one other non-shooting note to help with your weight transfer. When you're practicing stick-handling, always shift your weight with the puck. Puck moves to the right, your weight shifts to your right leg. Puck moves to the left, your weight shifts to your left leg. This weight transfer helps with every aspect of the game - stickhandling, shooting, skating with the puck.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Topoisomerase posted:

That actually is (or rather, used to be) a real rule, I think it was just taken out of the NHL book like last year because it was archaic, and it might still be in the Hockey Canada book.

e: Hockey Canada has changed it to simply "The puck must be kept in motion", but that's a remnant of the rule.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Not to add too much more, as coldwind is giving you solid advice, but...

Look at your target when shooting. Instead of looking at the puck, try to feel it on your stick. Not looking at the puck when you shoot feels weird at first, but you will be substantially more accurate if you look where you're shooting. The secondary benefit of looking at the target is that it helps load your core (your body naturally wants to turn where you're looking).

Good luck, man. It's amazing to see your progress in such a short amount of time. Now I know why all NHL players had old nets or beat-up clothes dryers in their basements.

e: Oh yeah, one other non-shooting note to help with your weight transfer. When you're practicing stick-handling, always shift your weight with the puck. Puck moves to the right, your weight shifts to your right leg. Puck moves to the left, your weight shifts to your left leg. This weight transfer helps with every aspect of the game - stickhandling, shooting, skating with the puck.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He kind of reminds me of a little kid, focusing so hard on something everybody else sorta takes for granted. Just watch the video, but imagine he's like, 5 or 6 instead of 20. ADORABLE (no homo). Lawnie, next video, make sure you keep that intense focus, but magnify it by furrowing your brow and licking your lips.

Oh God, was that weird? That wasn't weird, was it?

But yeah, it's a great tip. If it's too much to think about right now or you find it getting in the way of what you're trying to do, feel free to file under "advanced tips for later". Eventually, though, you're gonna want that head up when you shoot. Sooner, rather than later, too.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Minister Robathan posted:

That actually is (or rather, used to be) a real rule, I think it was just taken out of the NHL book like last year because it was archaic, and it might still be in the Hockey Canada book.

e: Hockey Canada has changed it to simply "The puck must be kept in motion", but that's a remnant of the rule.

Was it ever a rule in USA Hockey though? I don't recall it ever having been there, and I used to hold a ref cert through them...

edit: This same ref has also tried to tell us before that he wouldn't call a slashing penalty unless it was above the waist.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 4, 2011

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think the most important thing to take away from all the advice is: LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN

drat. STRAIGHT. When I was doing warmups I would have the league directors kid put it on and before I knew it I discovered power I never thought possible.

This improvement so far is highly impressive. Looking good. I would not be able to resist shooting pucks into the lattice work behind you though. And that rotation mentioned needs to happen and magic will commence.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLBTl5ZsPew

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was out back practicing today, but I was getting really frustrated because I wasn't lifting the puck at all and felt like I had a bit of regression. I'll be back out once more today but if it doesn't go any better I'm gonna hold off until Monday before making more any more video. I'm feeling sore, so maybe I just need a rest. Thanks for all the encouragement, though. You guys are awesome.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was out back practicing today, but I was getting really frustrated because I wasn't lifting the puck at all and felt like I had a bit of regression. I'll be back out once more today but if it doesn't go any better I'm gonna hold off until Monday before making more any more video. I'm feeling sore, so maybe I just need a rest. Thanks for all the encouragement, though. You guys are awesome.

EDIT: Changed my mind, went back out once it was a little cooler and felt much more comfortable. Here are a couple more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpSsQEiCek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcO3g_AFKNA

Thoughts: I'm doing a bit better with the weight transfer, thought I'm not sure if dropping my back leg is okay or not. still need to work on getting my bottom wrist all the way over, and getting that arc with my top hand. I've been telling myself to hit myself in the ribs with that top hand, and it has helped some. Finally, really need to find some way to get my hands out further so I can get the stick further forward before release like coldwind so deftly illustrated. All in all, I think these look better today than yesterday.

Aaaaaaaaaaand i double posted. Thanks SALR.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I found the rule the guy was referencing - it is under the keep the puck in motion rule as previously figured. The wording is really loose though and I do think the ref was either interpreting or explaining it incorrectly. The rule itself states that a player who has advanced past the defensive zone may not, with the intent of delaying the game, skate or pass the puck back into the defensive zone unless shorthanded. I would assume that if a player is being pressured by a forechecker all the way in that it would be difficult to prove intent to delay the game...

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 5, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I found the rule the guy was referencing - it is under the keep the puck in motion rule as previously figured. The wording is really loose though and I do think the ref was either interpreting or explaining it incorrectly. The rule itself states that a player who has advanced past the defensive zone may not, with the intent of delaying the game, skate or pass the puck back into the defensive zone unless shorthanded. I would assume that if a player is being pressured by a forechecker all the way in that it would be difficult to prove intent to delay the game...

Is this USA Hockey? We have a couple of guys in Lunch League who do this all the time. I would *love* for them to take two minutes for their efforts.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Is this USA Hockey? We have a couple of guys in Lunch League who do this all the time. I would *love* for them to take two minutes for their efforts.

It is in the USA Hockey rules, rule 629.c - I would copy directly from the rulebook itself but am on my iPad and it is a pain.

The result of the infraction is a face-off in the defending zone though, not a delay of game penalty (that's where I first looked too though)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

EDIT: Changed my mind, went back out once it was a little cooler and felt much more comfortable. Here are a couple more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpSsQEiCek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcO3g_AFKNA

Thoughts: I'm doing a bit better with the weight transfer, thought I'm not sure if dropping my back leg is okay or not. still need to work on getting my bottom wrist all the way over, and getting that arc with my top hand. I've been telling myself to hit myself in the ribs with that top hand, and it has helped some. Finally, really need to find some way to get my hands out further so I can get the stick further forward before release like coldwind so deftly illustrated. All in all, I think these look better today than yesterday.

Aaaaaaaaaaand i double posted. Thanks SALR.
Legs look better, hands about the same. Sometimes a consequences of improved technique is that results get worse before they get better. Not worrying unless it becomes a pattern.

I think at this point, you're going to have to turn the advice into a drill. Like, the kind your coach had you do when you were 7. Hated it? Yeah, but it worked. I think to continue improving your hand motion at this point, you're going to have to get past a certain level of awkwardness that might be difficult if you're practicing full speed.

Start in your stance, drag the puck up slowly, focusing only on maintaining the stick angle. Start with your knees bent, then let your legs move naturally as you perform the drill. Don't think about dropping your back knee and bending the front one. Clear all such thoughts from your mind in the most zen-like manner. Keep moving that stick forward, trying to maintain the stick angle as best as possible. Slowly.

Once you've got it as far as you can go, just hold it for a second, then follow through on your shot, focusing only on turning your wrist over. I think doing this drill enough will get your brain used to getting the puck in a position to release the shot out in front of you. When you start doing it again regular speed, the over-exaggerations will work their way into your technique when you don't have time to think about it. You know, hopefully.

Another possible drill/test would be to take your legs completely out of the shot. Turn with your feet facing away from the puck, twist your torso around and shoot with just your hands.

Well, that's what I got for now. Haven't had time to frame-by-frame a few shots, might not get the time until tomorrow, but I can't imagine my advice would be too different. Don't get frustrated, take a day off if you need it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I sandbagged for a lower division team last night. They were short skaters and came around looking for help (we had the game before them), I wasn't doing anything so away I went. It wound up being one of the stranger hockey experiences I've ever had. The team I was playing with hadn't won a game since some time last year, but they were really cool guys and had great attitudes.

The two teams were pretty evenly matched except for these two guys on the other team: we'll call them Bill and Ted. Bill and Ted had absolutely no business playing in this division; they had the skills to play in either higher division (though maybe not the maturity). It became pretty evident early on why Bill and Ted were playing in D3: their shtick was "get puck, carry puck end to end, try and doodle through everyone and score goal", and they were able to do this against D3 skaters. The team I was playing on was more than a little jaded at the gimmick.

Anyway, me and another guy from my team who was sandbagging started lining up on D against them, and they did not know what to do when faced with defensemen who they couldn't skate through/around/whatever at will. They both started getting really frustrated, banging their sticks on the boards after each failed rush, howling at the refs constantly, etc. Things really started to go downhill when I inadvertently knocked one down on a rush: he slewfooted me from his back (2 mins for that), called the ref a fat retard (2 more mins), and threw his stick and gloves into the penalty box (10 mins for that). To that end, I got tripped 3 more times during the game in addition to this first one one...I don't know what was going on (I don't dive), but the other team was getting really pissed off at me.

We wound up scoring a go-ahead goal on a 5 on 3 PP with about 10 mins left, and you'd thought it was the 3rd period in game 7 of the drat SCF...the bench went nuts and the 10 people in the stands did too. Then we had to bunker and deal with Bill and Ted's nonsense for the last 10 mins. Between screaming at the refs, screaming at their teammates, and their absolute refusal to ever pass the puck ever it very quickly became one of the more obnoxious displays I've ever seen.

Obnoxious hit its peak with about a minute to go: Bill was in the box (for tripping me, again), Ted decided he was going to score a goal no matter what. He carried the puck into the zone, was forced wide, and proceeded to complete no less than two and a half laps of the offensive zone before finally falling down and throwing his stick at our goalie (he never actually got a shot off). I could not stop laughing and that just made him madder, so he decided he wanted to fight, going so far as to drop his gloves. I wasn't really interested.

Anyway, the team I was playing with went apeshit when the horn sounded, sticks and gloves were thrown in the air and whatnot, beer was sprayed around the locker room (not cool, my gear smells like cheap beer now). It was pretty cool to see the enthusiasm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I've always loved defense.

Getting under the opponent's skin is ridiculous fun to me.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Wait, how the hell wasn't he kicked out of the game for getting that many penalties? I know in our league if you get 3 in one game you're done for the night.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3-0 shutout win against the top (non-sandbagging) team in the league :toot:

Goddamn that felt good, even if it was a late game and I'm dead at work this morning. Victory beers never tasted so good.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

3-0 shutout win against the top (non-sandbagging) team in the league :toot:

Goddamn that felt good, even if it was a late game and I'm dead at work this morning. Victory beers never tasted so good.

Had a game at 10:30, went to bed past 2am.. been at work less than an hour and I have no idea how I'm going to make it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

Had a game at 10:30, went to bed past 2am.. been at work less than an hour and I have no idea how I'm going to make it.

Yep, ours was at 9:45. The win forced us to hit a local bar afterwards. I immediately took a shot of Nyquil when I got home and finally passed out at 2am. I'm an hour into work as well and chugging coffee to stay awake.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

poser posted:

That's going to be me tomorrow, had a game in goal yesterday afternoon at 4 after drinking all day, and then continuing and didn't go to work cause I was a literal moron this morning. Now tonight we have our 2nd playoff game at 11pm and I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow.

Whenever we have these late games I always wake up the next morning feeling like I'm hungover.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just realized my team has an off week on the schedule. Im sort of disappointed because our team did well in our last game, and we didn't have a game last week due to memorial day. 2 weeks between games is killing me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Wait, how the hell wasn't he kicked out of the game for getting that many penalties? I know in our league if you get 3 in one game you're done for the night.

I think it is 5 minors and you're out in our league. I don't really get why though, unless they're all roughing or unsportsmanlike calls. Trip/hook me all you want!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In my league, there is no limit for penalties but a ref will throw out an rear end in a top hat if he is clearly taking penalty after penalty with no regard to the game or playing unsafe. Fights result in an instant misconduct and can even kick you out of the league. It surprises me that they still happen occasionally.

Our penalties don't work on shorthanded time though, they work on penalty shots. If you get caught for tripping up a player, that player gets a shot. Since its a running clock of 2-20 minute halves, it keeps things going quickly to just get it over with a penalty shot. I played at other leagues where it was a stopped clock and shorthanded scenario just like NHL rules.

I got checked really hard into the boards last season from behind (theres no checking in inline) and the guy was suspended from the game. I had a stick mark from shoulder to shoulder across my back. Not fun and I was seeing stars but I scored on the penalty shot.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Man inline guys do weird poo poo.

In our league there's two time formats, one for regular season and one for playoffs. Regular season it's 3 20 minute rolling clock periods with penalties going for 3 minutes, get 3 penalties in a game and you get booted from it.

Playoffs are 20-minute stopped clock and penalties going down to 2 minutes. We have no OT, even in playoffs and instead go right to a shootout.

Which is odd in the playoffs but better than what we used to do when there wasn't any OT or shootout and instead had lots of games end in ties.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bewbies posted:

called the ref a fat retard

Well was he? :colbert:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

Man inline guys do weird poo poo.

In our league there's two time formats, one for regular season and one for playoffs. Regular season it's 3 20 minute rolling clock periods with penalties going for 3 minutes, get 3 penalties in a game and you get booted from it.

Playoffs are 20-minute stopped clock and penalties going down to 2 minutes. We have no OT, even in playoffs and instead go right to a shootout.

Which is odd in the playoffs but better than what we used to do when there wasn't any OT or shootout and instead had lots of games end in ties.
It's not odd, they probably have a game or something else scheduled right after, and they can't sit around and wait while you settle your tie for 20 more minutes.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

coldwind posted:

It's not odd, they probably have a game or something else scheduled right after, and they can't sit around and wait while you settle your tie for 20 more minutes.

This. Also if anyone has not played a game with a rolling clock when only 7 people show up (including goaltender, who was not a goaltender) you do not know exhaustion. And 3 minute intermission breaks. I am convinced the league director wanted some kid to pass out so he could call them out for being weak.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

coldwind posted:

I know that's why, I just wish it was different so we could settle games in normal play and not a shotout.

WouldDesk posted:

This. Also if anyone has not played a game with a rolling clock when only 7 people show up (including goaltender, who was not a goaltender) you do not know exhaustion. And 3 minute intermission breaks. I am convinced the league director wanted some kid to pass out so he could call them out for being weak.
We had to do that a few seasons ago against the best team in the league. We were up by a goal or two and in the 3rd period I think we iced the puck about 20 times, pissing the other team off to no end.

Of course we played them later in the season they they crushed us, and being the poor sports they are they tried to ice the puck over and over to try to get 'even' which just made us laugh.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

The two teams were pretty evenly matched except for these two guys on the other team: we'll call them Bill and Ted...

Those guys are my favorites. You're usually baffled by their attitudes, and then somehow you find out they've just hit their thirties and it becomes the most amazing joke you've ever seen in your life. They're completely unaware of their own stupidity; it's like season one of Jersey Shore.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Had to commend one of the guys on my team tonight for making the playoff game. He was due to go to E3 to present some stuff for Madden 12 but managed to get work to change his flight to 5am so he could make our game tonight.

It was damned good he did because we only had 8 people total and holy jesus was I gassed by the end of it. Stupid 2 games in 2 days always screws me up.

Thankfully we won and for the first time in the EA Hammerheads existence we're in the championship game next week.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
I've been playing at a low level for the last four years. In the UK hockey is a minority sport, and we don't get decent ice time slots (usually midnight slots and at £10 an hour, which is equivalent to $18).

Because of the ice time issues, I've had a hard time mastering some skills (for my level) but my positioning is good for a stay at home D-man, and I can make decent passes, shoot a decent slapper from the blue, but the one thing I can't do and not for the lack of trying, is lift the puck on a wristy.

I've tried the flick technique, as described by my coaches, and I've tried the scoop technique ( but that just lacks any kind of power and accuracy). I can lift it on my slapshot, and snapshot but with a wristshot I can't seem to do it. I know this has probably been covered here already, apologies for asking for the advice but after a 2/3 year absence from this forum I figured it would be nice to get some tips from every day guys, even if it is pointing me to the right page to view in this thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Blinks

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

WouldDesk posted:

We had this happen to us during one of my seasons in roller. This is how I ended up playing net. We do 2, 24 minute halves at my roller league. I know those guys were dead and so was I. Also, I probably got some disease wearing that house gear.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

Iron-man hockey, brosef. I've had more than a few games where only five guys show up. We played a dump-and-mosey offensive system. Good times.

e: Oh, so you technically had 6 on the bench? I presume you just played it drop-in style?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 7, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Dangerllama posted:

Iron-man hockey, brosef. I've had more than a few games where only five guys show up. We played a dump-and-mosey offensive system. Good times.

e: Oh, so you technically had 6 on the bench? I presume you just played it drop-in style?

Hahaha I don't know what you would even call this. During our 2 minute break people looked like they were going to die from exhaustion.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hahaha I don't know what you would even call this. During our 2 minute break people looked like they were going to die from exhaustion.

Yeah its not uncommon that our outdoor inline league can play during 80-90º heat even at night with crazy humidity. (thanks midwest weather)

Ive actually played a game with 4 people as well (and a goalie) so 40 minutes without subs was terrible but we ended up winning thanks to our best guys showing up without the lesser skilled players to get in the way or give up chances.

You just have to prepare to play a slow game, make cleaner passes and always have someone back. Then again, if we all did this from the start it wouldn't have to be consciously thought about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Verman posted:

Yeah its not uncommon that our outdoor inline league can play during 80-90º heat even at night with crazy humidity. (thanks midwest weather)

Ive actually played a game with 4 people as well (and a goalie) so 40 minutes without subs was terrible but we ended up winning thanks to our best guys showing up without the lesser skilled players to get in the way or give up chances.

You just have to prepare to play a slow game, make cleaner passes and always have someone back. Then again, if we all did this from the start it wouldn't have to be consciously thought about.

I played a roller team with 4 players and the other team had a full bench. We were able to hang for most of the game and the other team even used their timeout to give us a rest:cool: