Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Cryptic Edge posted:

It's stargate, we don't need a red shirt. If you need to kill off random people they can be introduced for that episode or season. The whole death, ascended, alive, death ascended alive thing got tired quick. It was a neat gimmick the first time, but they shouldn't have kept killing and redirecting him, as that made it mundane.

It was probably more annoying for the writers, since all of that was apparently due to Michael Shanks repeatedly wanting to quit over how much he was getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cryptic Edge posted:

It's stargate, we don't need a red shirt. If you need to kill off random people they can be introduced for that episode or season. The whole death, ascended, alive, death ascended alive thing got tired quick. It was a neat gimmick the first time, but they shouldn't have kept killing and redirecting him, as that made it mundane.

Do not forget dead - oh wait it was just a trick. Also from the movie death and get to a sarcophagus

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget dead - oh wait it was just a trick. Also from the movie death and get to a sarcophagus

I'm not bothered by the sarcophagus thing, because they quickly phased it out as dangerous, so it became a "last resort" item. The other killing his character because michal shanks is a dick parts could halve been done without. If he's that big of a dick, why not write him out of the show in a permanent fashion like they did fraiser. There was no need to resurect him after that, as he really didn't contribute too much other than "my friend died, now I'm sad, but wait he's naked in jacks office and not really dead"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

I'm not bothered by the sarcophagus thing, because they quickly phased it out as dangerous, so it became a "last resort" item. The other killing his character because michal shanks is a dick parts could halve been done without. If he's that big of a dick, why not write him out of the show in a permanent fashion like they did fraiser. There was no need to resurect him after that, as he really didn't contribute too much other than "my friend died, now I'm sad, but wait he's naked in jacks office and not really dead"

There was that awesome episode when Jack is captured and he stayed as Thor.
Ronon should have given Teyla a golden crown

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ronon should have given Teyla a broken neck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ronon should have given Teyla a broken neck.

I do not know pouring molten gold on her head would be pretty good.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Cryptic Edge posted:

Was Fraiser a pain to work with or something? Its funny how michael shanks was a pain because I only heard good things about him before. Maybe that was just because him and Christopher Judge were good friends.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought it was kind of funny how they lampooned it after he died during that replicator arc and everyone was completely unsurprised when he materialized in Jack's office.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

They retconned a lot of how things worked in the movie. That was one of the more important ones for the show to make any sense.

Mostly retconned it. When possible they still did make different points of origin for different planets, at least.

Although I'm not sure what you mean about the other method not making sense. It'd be really cumbersome for a TV series like the language issue, sure, and so it's a good thing they got rid of it. But since as dumb as it is they did hold to that "six symbols for six points in space" thing throughout the whole series, I don't see how it wouldn't make sense for different gates to have different sets of symbols to represent each planets' constellations. Both methods make just as much sense to me, it's just one was pretty dumb for the Ancients to have implemented and the other isn't.

Of course, since "dumb to have implemented" can describe most everything the Ancients do, maybe they should've stuck with the movie method after all.

Idran fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's a wonder the Ancients lasted as long as they did with their own technology trying to kill them so often.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Idran posted:

Mostly retconned it. When possible they still did make different points of origin for different planets, at least.

Although I'm not sure what you mean about the other method not making sense. It'd be really cumbersome for a TV series like the language issue, sure, and so it's a good thing they got rid of it. But since as dumb as it is they did hold to that "six symbols for six points in space" thing throughout the whole series, I don't see how it wouldn't make sense for different gates to have different sets of symbols to represent each planets' constellations.

I mostly mean that it's as bad as the "let's spend a third of the episode learning their language" thing if you have to spend a third of the episode finding the point of origin symbol or whatever. They made the gates work like telephones or IP addresses (eventually) which honestly makes way more sense if there are a bajillion of them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There was also the thing that came up much later that each gate symbol was a syllable, so each gate address turned out to be the Ancient name for that planet. I think they dropped it as soon as it occured, though, since the written Ancient in everything else isn't gate symbols.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There was also the thing that came up much later that each gate symbol was a syllable, so each gate address turned out to be the Ancient name for that planet. I think they dropped it as soon as it occured, though, since the written Ancient in everything else isn't gate symbols.

Unlikely to be accurate for most of the gate system anyway as the Goa'uld had been moving gates around for millennia.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Just got through watching this awesome Teal'c scene again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhFJ7VSqrE

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Just got through watching this awesome Teal'c scene again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhFJ7VSqrE

I always suspected Brady.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drizzt01 posted:

Was Fraiser a pain to work with or something? Its funny how michael shanks was a pain because I only heard good things about him before. Maybe that was just because him and Christopher Judge were good friends.
She was killed for dramatic impact on what they thought was the last season. By the time they found out that it wasn't going to be, it was too late to go back on killing off the good doctor.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Cryptic Edge posted:

She was killed for dramatic impact on what they thought was the last season. By the time they found out that it wasn't going to be, it was too late to go back on killing off the good doctor.

How many times did they think it was their last season only to find out it wasn't? Suddenly their assumption that SGU was definitely getting a third season is making more sense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Captain Vittles posted:

How many times did they think it was their last season only to find out it wasn't? Suddenly their assumption that SGU was definitely getting a third season is making more sense.

They also thought they were definitely getting an 11th season, then didn't.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The gate symbols being pronouncable as syllables doesn't mean that the entirety of the Ancient language had to be comprised of them. Certain Asian languages also have symbols for certain sounds that do not look at all like the symbols for the individual letters that make up the sound in question.

Flatscan posted:

Unlikely to be accurate for most of the gate system anyway as the Goa'uld had been moving gates around for millennia.

Addresses aren't fixed by gate but by location in the galaxy. That's why they could switch gates around and still use them without changing the address. It doesn't really make sense because certain symbols should've been different between certain gates (usually the point of origin-glyph), but meh. Carter could pseudo-science her way out of that in ten seconds flat.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Can anyone identify what these costumes are? Got them at the Stargate prop sale yesterday. One guy had a rack full of these but with red stripes instead of the teal/green ones on mine.

e: Looks like I should recycle that pile of paper off the floor.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 20, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Those like like Genii

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't the Genii have double-breasted jackets? Or was that just Colm Meaney?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I thought they were double breasted too so I'm not sure what these are from. There's a square on the collar which i'm guessing represents rank. Possibly low ranking Genii redshirts or another race?

I have 2 flightsuits and some Marines jackets of some dead guys on SGU. Kind of afraid to wash O'Neill's hat, might erase the production writing on the inside.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The way I always interpreted the TV way of doing the PoO symbol was that there all the gates had ONE unique symbol... which was probably in the same place on the DHD on all planets so it didn't really matter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

The way I always interpreted the TV way of doing the PoO symbol was that there all the gates had ONE unique symbol... which was probably in the same place on the DHD on all planets so it didn't really matter.

I got it as the last symbol is the one that is point of origin. It was usually just going to and from a planet so they only needed to know the address to home. However people like Daniel knew more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I'm about 90% sure the PoO is the big red button on the DHD. You dial the six digits of where you want to go, then hit that to lock it in with 'here' because that always changes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gaz-L posted:

I'm about 90% sure the PoO is the big red button on the DHD. You dial the six digits of where you want to go, then hit that to lock it in with 'here' because that always changes.

Yeah, I was going to say this too, but I figured someone would go back and actually count as Daniel is dialing and sperg out about it. :v:

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I watched the episode where they discover the Antarctica gate the other day, Carter points to one of the symbols and says "this must be the point of origin, I've never seen it before" or something like that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah but IT'S AN ICE PLANET :saddowns:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Speaking of Teal'C this has always been one of my favourite Teal'C moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJcrQw_U9o

Things are going to calm up, indeed.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

MrBling posted:

Speaking of Teal'C this has always been one of my favourite Teal'C moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJcrQw_U9o

Things are going to calm up, indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2RWM65ZjL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QgQAM49LQ4

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 20, 2011

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

How could you not include the classic??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPgr94VYA4

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
edit: what the hell?

Oh well let's try again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFtLZqZDts&feature=related

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 20, 2011

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
^^ god that episode was the worst. Not only is it Teal'c lovin' some hot white women, its Daniel Jackson being whiny Jackson the entire episode. Season 8 is just so painful to watch, I appreciate Vala and Mitchell coming in to re-energize the series in season 9 a lot more after just finishing 8. Although the season 8 finale was decent, too bad it didn't have more Ra. The Anubis plot also ended so abruptly, I can't remember if they ever revisit it.

Major Davis plays a big character in Falling Skies, TNT's new alien invasion drama. First two episodes were decent, hope they continue.

I just bought the latest Deadspace movie too (Deadspace: Aftermath) after seeing Judge is one of the main voice actors. Indeed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't find it on YouTube but I loved when O'Neill and Teal'c showed up at Carter's house with pizza and Star Wars I'm the Season 5 episode with Orlan.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't find it on YouTube but I loved when O'Neill and Teal'c showed up at Carter's house with pizza and Star Wars I'm the Season 5 episode with Orlan.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohCqDAzT9M

Aw, it only has the first bit.

Teal'C really likes Star Wars.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 20, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrBling posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohCqDAzT9M

Aw, it only has the first bit.

Teal'C really likes Star Wars.

I love the bit when Valla is telling them about her immaculate conception and from everything she says it sounds like Jesus but Teal'c jumps in with "Darth Vader."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEiz27GUB30

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rhyno posted:

I love the bit when Valla is telling them about her immaculate conception and from everything she says it sounds like Jesus but Teal'c jumps in with "Darth Vader."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEiz27GUB30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCc3feBrWA

Right on.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The best is when Teal'c gets to learn about different aspects of his adopted home's culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I've been binging through SG-1 on Netflix. I'm a few episodes into season 6 now. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. There haven't been too many episodes where I've been overly bored or annoyed. Some not-so-great ones, but the following or previous episode would be pretty good. Seems to balance out well.