Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
it's a character study on shitposting from the 24th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

frakes being a dick reminds me of this: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/blue-stripe-life-4.php

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
zack is literally the best sa writer

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

its probably more limited by the actual physical requirements to reject the core, rather than a break in control linkage from the bridge. If they used a design they kept the core isolated from engineering it could probably be more modular and easier to eject with a manually trigged explosive charge or something.

with a core like on most tng era ships its just kinda sitting there in engineering so how the heck do you get that out quickly without having to also get rid of chunks of engineering and maybe some other stuff??

ex: in the new movies they just used big tanks of beer for the core and they were easily ejected like missiles.

uhh the core in tng and voyager were both sitting in a silo for easy ejection

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

it's a Unix system, I know this!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

its probably more limited by the actual physical requirements to reject the core, rather than a break in control linkage from the bridge. If they used a design they kept the core isolated from engineering it could probably be more modular and easier to eject with a manually trigged explosive charge or something.

with a core like on most tng era ships its just kinda sitting there in engineering so how the heck do you get that out quickly without having to also get rid of chunks of engineering and maybe some other stuff??

ex: in the new movies they just used big tanks of beer for the core and they were easily ejected like missiles.

internet explorer 9 is poo poo 'update to the latest version of internet explorer 9' says the little box so i click it expecting it to update to the latest version of internet explorer 9 and what does it do? takes me to a loving webpage so i can download and install it. gently caress that micro$oft you just lost yourself a customer.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
R. Shagaar Olivaw

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kirk posted:

he was a bit of a dick to everyone

brent spiner is still the greatest guy ever, spent like an extra 5 minutes joking around w/ me :swoon:

Yea Brent Spiner is a cool guy, so is John de Lancie. I've met them both.

Really want to meet Patrick Stewart too.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Kirk posted:

zack is literally the best sa writer

this is like being the smartest retard, right?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Yea Brent Spiner is a cool guy, so is John de Lancie. I've met them both.

big ups

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

i talked robert picardo into giving me a signed picture for a dollar in high school and i mentioned really liking an episode he'd directed without knowing that he had directed it, and he switched the conversation to how awesome he was

he hit on my friend's girlfriend the second after he handed me the picture, no pause.

his daughter came with him on this tour and when she came over and sat down he was like okay I think that other person wants to meet me and then went right the gently caress along

robert picardo is a boss and the only good thing about voyager

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
above all else i would like a big hug from leonard nimoy. i bet he gives the best old man hugs. :unsmith:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

With the exception of Marina Sirtis, pretty much everyone who has ever played a recurring role on Star Trek are the coolest dudes ever.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

HYMEN.SYS posted:

With the exception of Marina Sirtis, pretty much everyone who has ever played a recurring role on Star Trek are the coolest dudes ever.

story? her character sucked, but i've never heard anything (good or bad) about her irl.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

i really hope armin shimerman is a cool dude.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mr_jim posted:

story? her character sucked, but i've never heard anything (good or bad) about her irl.

she's not a dude

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mr_jim posted:

Honestly, I can't blame her for being as pissy as she is to con staff sometimes. She spent a big part of the nineties being a sex symbol to the worst kind of sweaty nerds and most of them haven't grown up since then. Still, the few cons I've been to that she's been at, she's always lecturing some random volunteer about something.

rotor posted:

she's not a dude

Nah. Jennifer Lien is pretty rad, everyone from DS9 was too. Also Nichelle Nichols is like the coolest person alive.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 23, 2011

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

HYMEN.SYS posted:

counterpoint: frakes, beltran

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

the 'POS was the color of television... tuned to a dead station

its not that i'm posting, it's like my body developed a massive post deficiency

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
haha i like trek but jesus christ you nerds actually go to cons

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

haha i like trek but jesus christ you nerds actually go to cons

AV guy. I was paid to be there.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i paid to be there.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Pram posted:

i paid to be there.

Thanks for ensuring that if I ever lose my lovely dev job I'll always have money to go back to.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

above all else i would like a big hug from leonard nimoy. i bet he gives the best old man hugs. :unsmith:

someone needs to make sure his voice is preserved for all time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Malcolm McDowell openly admits to guesting at trek cons for the purpose of winding up trek fans

onion av club interview posted:

Star Trek: Generations (1994)—“Dr. Tolian Soran”
AVC: You’ve gotten some flak for killing Captain Kirk, haven’t you?

MM: I like to razz the Trekkies a little bit. Who doesn’t? It’s trainspotting, isn’t it? But they are very well-meaning, actually. I’ve done a couple of Star Trek conventions, and they’ve only been really welcoming. I don’t do too many of those things, but I’ve found them very cordial and I’m very happy with the film. I think it’s a terrific film, Star Trek: Generations. It was nice to be in [William] Shatner’s last one, and do the dastardly deed myself. It was nice to work with Patrick [Stewart], because I hadn’t worked with him since Stratford-on-Avon, 1965. As I like to say, he was playing old men even then.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Also Nichelle Nichols is like the coolest person alive.

i've always secretly hoped that that is true, she seems like a really cool person and the behind the scenes things about how uhura became symbol in the civil rights movement is cool as hell.

Shaggar posted:

someone needs to make sure his voice is preserved for all time

the first time in civ 5 when i finished researching a tech i was all :smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mr_jim posted:

i really hope armin shimerman is a cool dude.

everything i've ever read about him says hes a big trek fan who loved his role and is a great guy irl

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
speaking of which when are we going to get a new series?

i don't want any prequel alt universe bullshit to tie in with the new movie. gimme some honest to goodness post-voyager trek.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
star trek is dumb and gay as hell. for gently caress's sake yospos

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

why do people always launch themselves into deep space in small lovely emergency capsules because their reactor is going critical when they could just eject the reactor and chill in the otherwise intact ship ???

scifis aer dumb

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

got dat wmd posted:

star trek is dumb and gay as hell. for gently caress's sake yospos

no u

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Elos posted:

why do people always launch themselves into deep space in small lovely emergency capsules because their reactor is going critical when they could just eject the reactor and chill in the otherwise intact ship ???

scifis aer dumb

not many ships are built around the concept of easily ejecting the reactor core.

the other benefit is that the small shuttles can pretty much run indefinitely since they require no real power other than life support, whereas the mother ship would likely drain itself very quickly if it had to sustain the entire goddamn thing.

and the shuttles are really just there to keep you comfy until help arrives, not get you home.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
heh, ya'll nerds.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

it'd be pretty dumb to not design ships with ejectable reactors and some backup life support because it'd be hell of a lot cheaper to just replace the reactor than to build a new ship. plus the hull would offer a lot better protection from radiation than a small craft and asdfasdfasdfasdf

life pods are there just so lazy writers can do the CAST AWAY IN SPACE plots

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Elos posted:

it'd be pretty dumb to not design ships with ejectable reactors and some backup life support because it'd be hell of a lot cheaper to just replace the reactor than to build a new ship. plus the hull would offer a lot better protection from radiation than a small craft and asdfasdfasdfasdf

also the "its too big to support without the core" loses ground when you realize that the ship almost certainly has airtight doors to seal off ruptured decks/rooms, so you could just have everyone file into one area, seal the doors, and only power life support in that part of the ship until help arrives

lets all sperg about starship design

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Elos posted:

what about a ship designed to shoot it's warpcores as warheads

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
just also wanna say that farscape is pretty good at the beginning and then it gets real good at like the end of season 2/beginning of season 3 imo. good sci fi sho :thumbsup:

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
also i guess i could do w/ watching tng again for old times sake is that poo poo on netflix or what now?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

johndis posted:

also i guess i could do w/ watching tng again for old times sake is that poo poo on netflix or what now?

local fox affiliate near me started doing tng reruns at like 3am. tivo was all like "hey you might like this" and i was all "gently caress yeah i might like this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

maniacdevnull posted:

the first time in civ 5 when i finished researching a tech i was all :smith:

he didn't do any of the voiceovers for techs that came out in expansions for civ 4, either

• Locked thread