Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

from what I've heard, J. Michael Straczynski pitched babylon 5 to paramount, letting them see all the material he had developed, but they turned it down. after he went to warner bros and they started making the show, paramount announced DS9. some people think paramount ripped him off, but i don't know. i never watched B5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mr_jim posted:

from what I've heard, J. Michael Straczynski pitched babylon 5 to paramount, letting them see all the material he had developed, but they turned it down. after he went to warner bros and they started making the show, paramount announced DS9. some people think paramount ripped him off, but i don't know. i never watched B5.

It wasn't as good as people say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
depends on your tolerance for the lovely parts of tv sci fi (acting, CG)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

haveblue posted:

depends on your tolerance for the lovely parts of tv sci fi (acting, CG)

It wasn't just that. The dude had been working on B5 for the better part of something like 15 years and it really showed. Eventually when you work on something for that long, you kinda lose perspective and everything gets really grandiose and interconnected and really reliant on every other detail.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

trap sprang

but while we're on the subject: USS Defiant vs. Whitestar, go

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Delta FlyeahahaAHAHAHAHAHAaaghahha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

B5 was the first time on sci-fi TV anyone blew up a whole solar system which was pretty cool for the mid-90s. I think you could do a pretty cool remake with a streamlined plot, maybe 3 seasons. I think at one point they were making filler episodes just to give themselves more rendering time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HYMEN.SYS posted:

It wasn't just that. The dude had been working on B5 for the better part of something like 15 years and it really showed. Eventually when you work on something for that long, you kinda lose perspective and everything gets really grandiose and interconnected and really reliant on every other detail.
After the first two seasons, he decided to write the scripts for every remaining episode. So he was writing 22 scripts a year AND running the show AND promoting it AND dealing with the network at the same time. The quality of the writing really suffered, all the characters began to speak in the same (authors') voice, and each episode pretty much existed for the sole purpose of mechanically delivering the overall plot points in order to get to the next episode. It was pretty dire, made even worse when it looked like they weren't going to get a fifth season, so all the plot development from season 5 was crammed into season 4, which meant that most season 4 episodes were just wall to wall plot exposition. And then they got a fifth season, which was all but unwatchable, because he'd used up all his ideas and had to come up with a bunch of new ones in the middle of his understandably complete burnout.

In B5's defense, it was one of the first shows to have a big multi-season metaplot, the CG was pretty impressive for its day (though it's aged badly), and the alien characters (the most important thing for an SF TV series) were great, especially Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas. Oh, and Claudia Christian was fun to look at.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FEMA summer camp posted:

trap sprang

but while we're on the subject: USS Defiant vs. Whitestar, go

defiant, no contest. better rendering

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Pram posted:

defiant, no contest. better rendering

Most shots of the Defiant were miniatures. Pretty much everything was.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the defiant looked pretty lame imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hmm anime ship or respectable federation craft. u decide

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pram posted:

"respectable" now means "front end detaches to quickly vacuum up spills"?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

And then they got a fifth season, which was all but unwatchable, because he'd used up all his ideas
Byron was just dreamy, tho :sweatdrop:

I quite dug Space: Above and Beyond for latenight low-budget sciffy, the aliens looked cool medieval-armor-like.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the defiant look like a dishrag

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ds9 is still watchable today because the production quality was so good. b5, not so much.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
g'kar and londo own tho.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Pram posted:

oh we're judging looks instead of combat ability now?

you could never hang in my larping league

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

g'kar and londo own tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE

:cool:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
s1 was mostly terrible filler

i'll fight any of you who has a bad word to say about the entirety of s3-4

^^ the last half of s5 redeemed that whole season, precisely because of londo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shaggar posted:

ds9 is still watchable today because the production quality was so good. b5, not so much.
ds9 also had excellent actors pretty much across the board, so even bad episodes are at least watchable. b5, not so much.

"Shaggar' posted:

g'kar and londo own tho.
shaggar was...right?

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

ds9 also had excellent actors pretty much across the board, so even bad episodes are at least watchable. b5, not so much.

shaggar was...right?

there's a few i just can't sit through though. the brigadoon one is probably the worst

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

lets hope they time travel to the 1990's

don't be such a freakasaurus

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

found it: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Meridian_(episode)

i hate this episode. luckily the rest of the series more than makes up for it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FEMA summer camp posted:

oh we're judging looks instead of combat ability now?

you could never hang in my larping league

if the defiant can go up against a borg cube it can kick the poo poo out of a nerdship b5 pos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mr_jim posted:

there's a few i just can't sit through though. the brigadoon one is probably the worst
the writing quality on ds9 was really variable, particularly on a week to week basis. you'd get a dark episode where Sisko effectively endorses genocide as a way to protect the federation and then next week: lol wacky holodeck baseball hijinks!

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

the writing quality on ds9 was really variable, particularly on a week to week basis. you'd get a dark episode where Sisko effectively endorses genocide as a way to protect the federation and then next week: lol wacky holodeck baseball hijinks!

that's true, but i think it was intentional. they had a few comedic relief episodes each season. the baseball one was ok, but the tribbles one owns.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mr_jim posted:

that's true, but i think it was intentional. they had a few comedic relief episodes each season. the baseball one was ok, but the tribbles one owns.
they were usually terrible, though, particularly early on. oh those wacky ferenghi! the tribble, james bond, and roswell episodes were gold, though.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

FMguru posted:

they were usually terrible, though, particularly early on. oh those wacky ferenghi! the tribble, james bond, and roswell episodes were gold, though.

They were at least watchable, unlike all but five episodes of Voyager.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

HYMEN.SYS posted:

They were at least watchable, unlike all but five episodes of Voyager.

jeri ryan was in more than 5 eps tho...

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

The Magnificent Ferengi wasn't good, but at least it had Iggy Pop.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ferengi eps rule, for the most part. idk why u hatin'.

the worst eps are meridian and move along home.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
meridian is literally a ferengi ep

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mr_jim posted:

The Magnificent Ferengi wasn't good, but at least it had Iggy Pop.

what... thats like the second best one next to house of quark.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Shaggar posted:

the ferengi eps rule, for the most part. idk why u hatin'.

the worst eps are meridian and move along home.

i forgot about move along home. meridian is the second worst episode.

and the worst ds9 ferengi episode is still better than any tng episode with ferengi characters. those stupid whip things! and the fur!

mr_jim fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 23, 2011

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

jeri ryan was in more than 5 eps tho...

Most of her episodes were unwatchable trash, sorry.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i was thinking bout the holo doc and year of hell and im thinking hmmm maybe i should watch voyager b/c i havent seen it in years and years, maybe its not so bad and then i remember neelix.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i was thinking bout the holo doc and year of hell and im thinking hmmm maybe i should watch voyager b/c i havent seen it in years and years, maybe its not so bad and then i remember neelix.

Remember when Janeway killed Tuvix off, essentially committing murder and genocide all at the same time? And how Tuvix was actually a far better character than Neelix or Tuvok?

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
lmao im watching the roadrunner/wiley e coyote farscape episode right now. has anyone else seen this? wtf is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Shaggar posted:

i'm actually thinking about watching it on netflix, since i didn't watch past the first season when it first aired. i've heard that if you go into it knowing that janeway is insane it's not as bad.

• Locked thread