Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

i read most of the first dune then moved place and stopped for some reason. Imma gonna get it on my kindle.

Also can i get a holla for all my foundation and empire brothers and sisters out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
kirk, excellent ST:V posts

the second the dominion signed the peace treaty i stopped watching all start treks until jj trek.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

i read most of the first dune then moved place and stopped for some reason. Imma gonna get it on my kindle.

Also can i get a holla for all my foundation and empire brothers and sisters out there!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

remember how an entire multi-episode story arc ended with voyager crashing into an almost literal reset button

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBIyGxV7Ek

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

foundation owns
foundation and empire owns
second foundation owns
foundation's edge is not that good
foundation and earth and robots and empire were both terrible ideas

never read prelude or forward they're ok I guess unless daneel shows up

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i was willing to accept foundation's edge as a decent if not weak ending to foundation and i see no reason to read foundation and earth

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh
Firefly was a pretty ok series, fanboyed grossly out of proportion to its actual quality.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Come at me Bro
          /

I wouldn't want to stand so close to that guy.

LinuxGirl87 posted:

Firefly was a pretty ok series, fanboyed grossly out of proportion to its actual quality.

Pro-button-click.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
pls dont quote that person i have them on ignore for a reason

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Firefly would have been great if River Tam wasn't in it at all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

haveblue posted:

foundation owns
foundation and empire owns
second foundation owns
foundation's edge is not that good
foundation and earth and robots and empire were both terrible ideas

never read prelude or forward they're ok I guess unless daneel shows up
yeah the original trilogy is great, the best of Asimov's era, really. The others are bad though. Didn't he write them 20 years later or something? Always a bad sign.

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Firefly would have been great if River Tam wasn't in it at all.

Wisdom.

:qq: MY LOLICON FANTASIES :qq:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

foundation owns

ugh, I started reading this, got about 1/3 the way in, characters keep popping in every chapter with the time skips and i'm bored to tears with it. i'm basically at where they introduce the space traders before i started reading "Robots of Dawn" which i'm much happier with.

should i finish foundation? does it get any better from there and do they actually establish some drat protagonists??

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

rotor posted:

R. Shagaar Olivaw

quoting from the past to appreciate this reference

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

ugh, I started reading this, got about 1/3 the way in, characters keep popping in every chapter with the time skips and i'm bored to tears with it. i'm basically at where they introduce the space traders before i started reading "Robots of Dawn" which i'm much happier with.

should i finish foundation? does it get any better from there and do they actually establish some drat protagonists??

p much the closest that happens to this in the good first trilogy is the second half of foundation and empire and first half of second foundation which is basically a single story and is loving awesome

if they ever made a movie out of foundation, that would probably be the best story to mine for it, the rest of the books are just cool speculative fiction about the future of humanity, and i can see why people wouldn't be into that necessarily

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

also i just watched through all of andromeda starring kevin sorbo and it is exactly as bad as the fact that you all forgot about it implies

yet it somehow made it five seasons

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Forum accident posted:

also i just watched through all of andromeda starring kevin sorbo and it is exactly as bad as the fact that you all forgot about it implies

yet it somehow made it five seasons

Andromeda was a Canada based production in all senses of the words so it got a huge amount of tax breaks and grants from the government that made it almost impossibly cheap to produce. It was classified as Canadian content, which made Global want its dick, and it was cheap which made SciFi want its dick. It lasted for five seasons because it was so impossibly cheap to produce that there was almost no way for it to lose money.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

qirex posted:

B5 was the first time on sci-fi TV anyone blew up a whole solar system which was pretty cool for the mid-90s. I think you could do a pretty cool remake with a streamlined plot, maybe 3 seasons. I think at one point they were making filler episodes just to give themselves more rendering time.

/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh they blew up an entire universe in lexx

fighting one armed robots lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in foundation the stories just keep getting longer and longer as you go on until about 75% of second foundation is one continuous plot

also in foundation and empire they drop the whole "hi I'm hari seldon here to debrief you on doing exactly what I predicted you'd do" gimmick in an awesome way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i thought all that psychic poo poo in the foundation novels was poo poo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

nah the mule was cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Amethyst posted:

nah the mule was cool

nerds in yospos love the bignose, sterile, ugly gimp character who ends up ruling the universe, quelle surprise!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the psychic poo poo wasn't as cool as the hari seldon poo poo but it was still good writing imho

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
finished dune a couple days ago and watched the david lynch movie of it

yeah if i hadn't read the book beforehand i woulda been :catstare: the whole time

and even then i was doing it for large parts.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kirk posted:

finished dune a couple days ago and watched the david lynch movie of it

yeah if i hadn't read the book beforehand i woulda been :catstare: the whole time

and even then i was doing it for large parts.
you should check out the cable miniseries adaptation. they have enough time to adapt the entire book, and to fully explain everything that's going on.

it's incredibly boring, and it really doesn't help.

dune just may be an unfilmable book, and the lynch film might be as good an effort as possible. it's hard to imagine a better cast.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i think that if you wanted to sperg out and explain every little detail exactly as it was in the book, then yes it's entirely unfilmable

but i can very easily see how you could film a somewhat satisfying dune movie that stayed roughly true to the plot of the book. you just need a decent writer who isn't afraid to break away here and there, and also a director that isn't insane.

the narration in the 84 movie was loving awful since it randomly crept back in again and again, often in areas that didn't need explaining.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

FMguru posted:

it's hard to imagine a better cast.

yeah

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

z0ratio fartboner posted:

yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dune is unfilmable today because it's a naked parable of opec rising up and subjugating the west

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

dune is unfilmable today because it's a naked parable of opec rising up and subjugating the west

nah

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

haveblue posted:

lol no

pram
Jun 10, 2001

haveblue posted:

bush himself would stop the production

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

barclay owns because he's basically a nerd transplanted from the 20th century and shoved into the 24th

he's you, the viewer

he's the one that's like "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON HERE, WHY IS EVERYTHIGN SHAKING ALL THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON UP THERE WITH THE BRIDGE CREW" and he's the guy that gets addicted to getting holodeck squeezers from his hot nurse and he's the guy that's like gently caress yeah i fantasize about beating the poo poo out of my boss in this limitless fantasy world and he's the guy that can't talk to girls because he's on space IRC all day

he's not just the viewer, he's one of the executive producers.

that's right. michael piller, who came on board TNG in season 3, said in an interview that when he came up with barclay he wasn't thinking about the fans at all; he was thinking about himself and how awkward he thought he was.

contrast with gene roddenberry who, while senile in his elder years and having a lot of really bad ideas, pulled a hell of a lot of tail

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Amethyst posted:

I love David Lynch and Dune but that movie was bad.

why did he make the weirding way into a stupid sound weapon?

someone, Lynch or one of the studio execs, was afraid of having the climactic finish of the movie turn into a huge kung-fu action set piece. so they decided to go with a huge ray-gun action set piece instead.

keep in mind they were making this in the early 80s and the Star Wars perception of "holy poo poo special effects loving sell movies!!" was still pretty strong.

it also massively simplifies the reason for the emperor getting involved. "the atreides are making a new weapon and they might get too powerful. we need to take them out before that happens."

i can understand people not liking it. i think it's fun, but that's just me.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
how the represnted shields in the movie was laffo as hell

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dune isn't completely unfilmable, but to film it in a way that actually captures the thing that made the book so great would be really hard I think.

For instance, how do explain why Paul and Jessica fit the fremen religious prophecy? For that one plot point not to come across as a the boring and confusing "paul is literally the messiah", you need to know about

a) the bene gesserit's breeding program
b) the missionaria protectiva arm of the bene gesserit that plants messanic myths throughout the universe to protect the result of this breeding program.

Now, how the poo poo do you film that? Dialogue? Flashback? Subtle insinuation? The first two are terrible, and the third too difficult to get to the audience who haven't read the book.

There are a million parts like this. Why is Leto walking straight into an obvious trap? WTF is so great about the melange? Why arn't there any computers or guns?

I guess what I'm saying is that without the spergy details, dune isn't a great story.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that without the spergy details, dune isn't a great story.

Does this even mean anything anymore?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

ugh dialouge in a loving movie NO THNAKS ill pass on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Sneaking Mission posted:

ugh dialouge in a loving movie NO THNAKS ill pass on this one

I think he means blatantly expository dialogue.

• Locked thread