Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hirams Bitch posted:

Not reading the Twilight series, that's for drat sure #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

I found out about it on Something Awful actually :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Wait, is CM Punk quitting wrasslin?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

Yuo mean one of the highest rated segments and lead to the rater r superstar

Yeah I know the sex celebration was a huge ratings draw, but still it was strange and not really considered a high point in wrestling history. I'd group it with one of those wrestling moments you hope no one walks in on you watching.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember I was at my aunt's house in 2005, and I was watching Raw. She walked in during a part where they were doing a segment with the whole Kane-Lita debacle and boy was that fun trying to explain it to her.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Wait, is CM Punk quitting wrasslin?

Likely not.

Nobody knows what the gently caress is going to happen.

All of Punk's tweets make it sound as though he's trying to troll people and will re-sign but all of those ULTRA RELIABLE dirtsheets make it sound as though the WWE doesn't have a clue what will happen and can't figure out which way to write him out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question: When's the Smackdown Six period? I'm trying to find something I can do in shorter bursts than that stupid Attitude Era thread, adn I figure a couple months' worth of awesome matches is a bit more manageable (I know it's more than a couple months, I'm saying that's all I'd commit to at once).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Dickeye posted:

Here's a question: When's the Smackdown Six period? I'm trying to find something I can do in shorter bursts than that stupid Attitude Era thread, adn I figure a couple months' worth of awesome matches is a bit more manageable (I know it's more than a couple months, I'm saying that's all I'd commit to at once).

The high point of the time is October of 2002. That's when the tag team tournament starts, highlighting several matches between Eddie/Chavo, Rey/Edge, and Benoit/Angle. You can go back a bit further for quality stuff because Angle and Benoit were feuding in the months prior, and Rey and Angle before that, along with other feuds involving those six, all causing a lot of good stuff, but the period that really defines them is all of the tag tournament stuff and several matches after.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I remember I was at my aunt's house in 2005, and I was watching Raw. She walked in during a part where they were doing a segment with the whole Kane-Lita debacle and boy was that fun trying to explain it to her.

I was still watching wrestling with my mom during the Katie Vick crap and the Kane/Lita rapebaby stories. Then we went to see Kane at a Barnes and Noble as part of his book tour for Journey Into Darkness and she chewed him out for like 5 minutes. He was pretty cool about the whole thing and still signed my Big Freaking Machine t-shirt that I used to think was the coolest shirt ever.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 27, 2011

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

With regards to the Smackdown 6 I think you could set an arbitary end point of Rumble 2003 with the Benoit/Angle title match although Feb 6th 2003 would be more appropriate as that's when Los Guerreros drop the tag belts to Team Angle.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think you could probably just cut it off at WM19. Wheels started to slowly fall off of SD right after that, and they hit rock bottom after WM20.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The SD tag scene was still awesome beyond that period. The Eddie/Tajiri vs. Team Angle ladder match is really, really good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Here's a serious question. Are there any bad ladder matches, in WWE or otherwise?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Here's a serious question. Are there any bad ladder matches, in WWE or otherwise?

Austin / Vince at King of the Ring '99.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Austin / Vince at King of the Ring '99.

Jeff Jarrett/Jeff Hardy from TNA Victory Road 04, some of the King of the Mountain matches, a number of the ladder matches they put on Impact for free...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sugar Blaster posted:

The SD tag scene was still awesome beyond that period. The Eddie/Tajiri vs. Team Angle ladder match is really, really good.

Saw that one in person. Probably the only really good match on that card.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Jeff Jarrett/Jeff Hardy from TNA Victory Road 04, some of the King of the Mountain matches, a number of the ladder matches they put on Impact for free...

I figured TNA would find a way.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think I remember an ECW ladder match, maybe with Sandman, where the ladder was so cheap and destroyed that they couldn't finish the match. Did that happen, or am I imagining things?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think I remember an ECW ladder match, maybe with Sandman, where the ladder was so cheap and destroyed that they couldn't finish the match. Did that happen, or am I imagining things?

That sounds like something that happened but when you say something was cheap and hosed things up in ECW it sounds plausible no matter what. This does remind me of that god awful Sabu/RVD ladder match from ECW on Sci Fi that had about a dozen botches in it. That happened!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sounds very ECW, so it probably did.

MassRayPer posted:

This does remind me of that god awful Sabu/RVD ladder match from ECW on Sci Fi that had about a dozen botches in it. That happened!

Dozen is probably being overly kind to that match. That thing was a disaster from start to finish.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my god I forgot about that match. Ohhhh my good god.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Weren't original ECW ladder matches just "use this ladder as a weapon", rather than having the winning wrestler retrieve something hanging?

Timby posted:

Dozen is probably being overly kind to that match. That thing was a disaster from start to finish.

Oh my god, I remember this match. One of them, probably Sabu, tried to leap off of a ladder that was just lying on the ground, as though it would support him, and he ate it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Fairly sure it's on a botchamania. There's one spot they have to redo like 4 times because the ladder keeps crumbling.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

/\ That's probably the one I'm thinking of. /\

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Weren't original ECW ladder matches just "use this ladder as a weapon", rather than having the winning wrestler retrieve something hanging?

I dunno, maybe. I just recall the participants climbing the ladder and it just bending in half.

Also, here's RVD vs Sabu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AMPa5gKQM

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I'm watching that RVD / Sabu monstrosity on YouTube right now. There's a spot near the beginning when Sabu whips RVD into the corner, RVD botches his "jump to the top rope and spin to face the ring" thing, then Sabu runs jumps on the top rope and RVD gives him a little love tap to the chest to make him crotch himself.

What the gently caress.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Timby posted:

God, I'm watching that RVD / Sabu monstrosity on YouTube right now. There's a spot near the beginning when Sabu whips RVD into the corner, RVD botches his "jump to the top rope and spin to face the ring" thing, then Sabu runs jumps on the top rope and RVD gives him a little love tap to the chest to make him crotch himself.

What the gently caress.

Link it. Let's have an impromptu viewing party.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

House Party 98's stair way to hell match had the ladder break halfway through, complete with Sabu being sabu and Sandman being drunk with a suspected concussion as well.

It's the worst match.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Oh my god, I remember this match. One of them, probably Sabu, tried to leap off of a ladder that was just lying on the ground, as though it would support him, and he ate it.

Didn't somebody say that Sabu would plan to botch spots to maintain realism? Watching the match now, it seems like a spot designed to fail, unless Sabu is a complete moron (which is also a possibility, certainly).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Perry Normal posted:

Didn't somebody say that Sabu would plan to botch spots to maintain realism? Watching the match now, it seems like a spot designed to fail, unless Sabu is a complete moron (which is also a possibility, certainly).

That sounds like rationalization after the fact. Dude's a human botch machine.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

That might make sense for some spots, but when he fucks a spot up and tries again six times in a row you can be pretty certain it's a botch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perry Normal posted:

Lance Storm has said that Sabu would sometimes botch a spot to work the fans and be "realistic."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Lance Storm has said that Sabu would sometimes botch a spot to work the fans and be "realistic."

Hahaha.

Hahaha.

Ohhhhh hahaha.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Why did Austin Aries stop using the Crucifix Bomb? Thing was awesome.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MassRayPer posted:

That's what I thought. This specific spot with the ladder, there's no way anybody would think that it wouldn't fall over unless they spread the legs of the ladder for support. And RVD is there with the legdrop to "cover" the botch immediately.

On the other hand, RVD has seen Sabu botch more than anyone, so who would be better prepared to cover for him botching?

Another question - Was wandering through the Botchamania wikipedia and came to Matt Hardy's page. Of all the glorious insults in the "Matt Hardy is overweight and has poor impulse control" thread, did we ever come up with Mid Cardy? Cause I'm laughing my rear end off at that one right now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hahaha god drat this RVD/Sabu match is something to behold. RVD trying to just jump from the top rope and grab the title, missing by a mile, and then Taz trying to sell it like a GREAT IDEA is the best thing.

-edit-

Just before Sabu attempts to vault off of the ladder someone just yells "ARE YOU RETARDED?" The answer of course is yes.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 27, 2011

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Oh man I love this match so much and I remember laughing so hard when it aired live. Everything about it is unintentionally hilarious. There's a rope break and a pin attempt in a ladder match within the first minute.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Duke posted:

The high point of the time is October of 2002. That's when the tag team tournament starts, highlighting several matches between Eddie/Chavo, Rey/Edge, and Benoit/Angle. You can go back a bit further for quality stuff because Angle and Benoit were feuding in the months prior, and Rey and Angle before that, along with other feuds involving those six, all causing a lot of good stuff, but the period that really defines them is all of the tag tournament stuff and several matches after.

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna poke around, see what I find, try to get a month or so's worth.

The other thing I'd ask is, what's some choice WCW to review? Looking for both a really high point and a really low point.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Dickeye posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna poke around, see what I find, try to get a month or so's worth.

The other thing I'd ask is, what's some choice WCW to review? Looking for both a really high point and a really low point.

What era? Nitro Era, Watts, Old School NWA?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dickeye posted:

WCW really low point.

:suicide:

poo poo, I remember WCW all of 99 to its death pretty much being unbearable. I'll go with the show Vince Russo took over to its demise. WCW became a trainwreck the likes of which will never be equaled.

Or are you looking for specific shows to review rather than a general timespan?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any era, and a general timespan focused around one or two particularly memorable shows would be best if at all possible.

Like, an example based on the one incident I know of (that I'm going to try not to review since I don't have anything new to say), "Watch from *date* to *date*, that'll get you the lead-up to and fallout from the Fingerpoke." I'm trying to keep it down to one to two month stretches to avoid the burnout that came with the Attitude Era thread.

Really, I'm looking for bad WCW moments more, because I have more fun making fun of stupid bullshit than I do talking about the good stuff. Except Val Venis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

"Beef Jerky posted:

That's probably the one I'm thinking of.

I dunno, maybe. I just recall the participants climbing the ladder and it just bending in half.

That was... well.

It's not just me, right? There is a greater botch to time ratio in that match than anything else they've done together?

Perhaps the most confusing thing was RVD trying to jump from the top rope to the contract. What the hell?

The only explanation I can think of is for some reason RVD and Sabu weren't stoned and because they had been for the last decade and a bit they no longer knew how to wrestle sober.

The same way if you're a musician and your unaccustomed to playing inebriated you're probably going to be well under usual performance levels because you're not used to playing in that condition, but in reverse.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2011