Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i vaguely remember some story (idk if it was a short or not) but it was about being on mars in these presurized cloth or plastic or something domes. And they kept getting ripped and the people inside had to go patch them. And there was something about the martian dust being really thick and i guess covering parts of the domes (where the rips were?) And something about there might be martiains moving around in the dust ripping the domes but thats about all i can remember. idk how much of that is even part of the story but i remember it freaking me out as a kid.

sci fi is kewl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009

Shaggar posted:

i vaguely remember you're posts (they are bad)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
can anyone find a picture of that propaganda painting gul dukat commissioned and then put on display?

it's like him as the savior and a whole bunch of children/poors standing around basking in his magnificence.

i want to ironically use it as a starbux tumbler insert

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ask in the star trek thred in tv/iv

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

why has nobody mentioned clarke yet

he's even worse at human characters than asimov but holy poo poo read rendezvous with rama and childhood's end and 2001 and the nine billion names of god

do not under any circumstances read the rama sequels tho

i remember trying to read rama 2 several years ago and feeling put off by it shortly into it. i tried again last year and after awhile managed to get sucked in b/c i really wanted to see how things played out. that said, i wouldn't recommend the Rama sequels either, big chunks of them feel like a big couch session for Gentry Lee.

on the other hand, 2010 loving owns owns owns. i remember when i first read it i just sorta found myself in the book totally visualizing the whole thing, then i 'woke up' like three hours later. totally loving awesome. 2061 and 3001 veer off course though; the former is sort of weird, like Clarke really didn't know what to do with the book beyond hitting a couple of key points, and the latter is pretty severely self-indulgent (at least in comparison to the rest of the series)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember trying to read rama 2 several years ago and feeling put off by it shortly into it. i tried again last year and after awhile managed to get sucked in b/c i really wanted to see how things played out. that said, i wouldn't recommend the Rama sequels either, big chunks of them feel like a big couch session for Gentry Lee.

on the other hand, 2010 loving owns owns owns. i remember when i first read it i just sorta found myself in the book totally visualizing the whole thing, then i 'woke up' like three hours later. totally loving awesome. 2061 and 3001 veer off course though; the former is sort of weird, like Clarke really didn't know what to do with the book beyond hitting a couple of key points, and the latter is pretty severely self-indulgent (at least in comparison to the rest of the series)
2010 is the rare exception to the rule that sequels and follow-ups after a long period are universally terrible; i also think the movie is underappreciated. 2061 and 3001 were loving dire, though, as were all of the rama sequels.

childhood's end is the second best sf novel ever (the forever war is the best).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
childhood's end was also the inspiration for the cover art on houses of the holy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

quotin this from way back because i helped a friend build a Doom .wad based on the final shootout in Outland, it owned.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Antillese posted:

So Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons are a coin toss for babby's first Culture picture book? I haven't read any of them and I'm pretty curious about them.

'Consider Phlebas' is a better intro to the culture but 'Player of games' is almost as good of an intro and a better story, sharp guy like you should be able to pick up on it pretty quick though so I recommend the latter.

'Use of weapons' was kinda weak IMO but apparently I'm in the minority on this

FEMA summer camp fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 29, 2011

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

if anyone hasn't read 'Forever war' by some guy named Haldeman or something like that yet you should do it before the movie comes out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FEMA summer camp posted:

if anyone hasn't read 'Forever war' by some guy named Haldeman or something like that yet you should do it before the movie comes out

its not a very good book

it's joe haldeman btw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

its not a very good book
the noise of spinning drive platters seems to have disordered your brain functioning - forever war is the best book, and i will fight any man who claims otherwise.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

rotor posted:

its not a very good book

it's joe haldeman btw

was gonna buy this today but i hesitated

now i'm glad i did

thanks, rotor

thotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

iunno, i dont remember it being good but then again i read it in like 7th grade or smething so im not really vested in my opinion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i remember my big beef was thinking "why would anyone do this, it just doesn't make sense, people would not do this" whenever any characters made a decision

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"If you join up, by the time you get home centuries will have passed and the society you risked your life to protect will have changed so much you wont recognize it. everyone you knew will be long dead. also they will have forgotten about you. Still up for it?"

"yeah, sure."

*centuries pass*

"Welp, how about joining up again?"

"why not?"

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
hmm i may have to reevaluate

when you were 13 humanity hadn't quite grasped the written word yet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its not like its fine literature, you can probably read it in like 4 days, it's not exactly a huge time investment.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

its not like its fine literature, you can probably read it in like 4 days, it's not exactly a huge time investment.
one of its many, many virtues is that it's only 200 pages long.

writers knew how to get to the point back before word processors became common.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

rotor posted:

the society you risked your life to protect will have changed so much you wont recognize it. everyone you knew will be long dead.

see? you missed the point of the whole god drat book!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FEMA summer camp posted:

see? you missed the point of the whole god drat book!

no i got it i just found the characters choices unbelievable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and this is in a book that features spaceships with tachyon drives

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean for gently caress sake i was 13 and i got the vietnam parable, it could not be any less subtle unless they'd named the alien race the Gookulons and fought them on the planet Veetnoom Prime

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

forever war had some cool tech and time dilation stuff that young nerds find rad as hell but yeah it's nothing special.

unlike the hyperion cantos by dan simmons which owns so hard

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i read transmetropolitan and though "heh this owns"

then i tried reading it again recently and it wasn't as good

warren ellis still owns tho, planetary 4 lyfe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Peter F. Hamilton does some good Sci Fi. Couldn't get into The Night's Dawn Trilogy. The Misspent Youth and Commonwealth Saga is very pro. Still waiting on my friend to find his copies of the Void Trilogy so I can read them

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kirk posted:

Transmetro was good at the start, but really started to peter out when he focused on taking down The Smiler/Smiley.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

also thanks for the book protips guys

this is a good thread

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kirk posted:

the first half of planetary is pretty good, hunter s thompson analogue running around edge-of-the-singularity new york. then it turns into an amazingly ham-handed political allegory about the nixon years, and it finished off with such a cheat of an ending.

great art throughout, though.

quote:

my favorite warren ellis character is the chainsmoking badass whose profane and cynical manner is a mask for their frustrated idealism.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the individual stories and concepts are what made planetary great, nobody was reading it for the moral. taking common comic book tropes and giving them a once over by ellis was the real power of planetary.

the first preview issue with the hulk ripoff was awesome

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

rotor posted:

no i got it i just found the characters choices unbelievable

i'm gay as hell and I'd rather kill aliens than kiss a dude

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

my favorite warren ellis character is the chainsmoking badass whose profane and cynical manner is a mask for their frustrated idealism.

me too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
future war

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
one of the problems I have with later Star Trek is the issue of writers/producers basically going "we've got this idea that wouldn't actually work for production/logic/continuity reasons, but we're just going to bullshit our way through it because we really want to do it and we're too lazy to actually rewrite anything."

"we need the warp drive to be a ticking time bomb"
"well, there's a whole lot of effort the Federation put into designing it so it won't do that."
"well it just is. ejection system? oh that failed. off switch? yeah that failed too. BOOM! see, that was simple. this is why you nerds aren't writers like us."

"we have this plot which is p. much just a war story but we need something to make it 'trek', ideas?"
"some bullshit about 'subspace mines' they can poke around at with tricorders, which eventually helps their bros out"
"gj, have the boys down in arts & crafts whip up some technobabble for it. and add some scenes in that 60s bar, i fukken love the 60s"

"my episode's bullshit external threat subplot hinges around some gimmick where the ship can't turn at warp speed"
"uhhhhhhhh"
"gently caress you i'm making this happen *takes a huge poo poo*"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tng script drafts literally had sections that just said "[technobabble]" in them. there was a guy who'd fill it "phase-adaptive plasma channel" and "multi-mode inflection sort algorithm" later on.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

FEMA summer camp posted:

'Consider Phlebas' is a better intro to the culture but 'Player of games' is almost as good of an intro and a better story, sharp guy like you should be able to pick up on it pretty quick though so I recommend the latter.

'Use of weapons' was kinda weak IMO but apparently I'm in the minority on this

Use of Weapons was the first one I tried reading, but it's quite heavy when you dunno what the culture is compared to other...'factions'(?)

Player of Games is a good intro because it revolves around the culture and another race, so there's setup for both and you understand the culture a bit more.

Which means you can then go and read all the other culture novels because they're cool.

They might not be for everyone, but they're decent books. Some of the ship names are cool too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_(The_Culture)

And while it's not sci-fi, I read Wasp Factory (Which is also by Banks) and that was pretty cool.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pram posted:

future war

...future war always changes

get it because its the future you see and it finally started changing!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ender's Game is terrible and Orson Scott Card is a hack

just going to throw that out there

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

axolotl farmer posted:

Ender's Game is terrible and Orson Scott Card is a hack

just going to throw that out there

i liked it when i was a kid. that's all i can say for it.

as for card, i usually don't care what an author's political opinions are, but his are straight up repugnant. i'm pretty sure he's called for a violent overthrow of the government if gay marriage becomes legal nation-wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of the problems I have with later Star Trek is the issue of writers/producers basically going "we've got this idea that wouldn't actually work for production/logic/continuity reasons, but we're just going to bullshit our way through it because we really want to do it and we're too lazy to actually rewrite anything."

"we need the warp drive to be a ticking time bomb"
"well, there's a whole lot of effort the Federation put into designing it so it won't do that."
"well it just is. ejection system? oh that failed. off switch? yeah that failed too. BOOM! see, that was simple. this is why you nerds aren't writers like us."

"we have this plot which is p. much just a war story but we need something to make it 'trek', ideas?"
"some bullshit about 'subspace mines' they can poke around at with tricorders, which eventually helps their bros out"
"gj, have the boys down in arts & crafts whip up some technobabble for it. and add some scenes in that 60s bar, i fukken love the 60s"

"my episode's bullshit external threat subplot hinges around some gimmick where the ship can't turn at warp speed"
"uhhhhhhhh"
"gently caress you i'm making this happen *takes a huge poo poo*"

this is why we have no idea how the galactica's hyperdrive works

ron moore was sick of writers coming up with good story ideas and some nerd saying "that could never happen because [technobabble from two seasons ago]"

• Locked thread