Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Shaggar posted:

so im rewatching lost and oh boy do we hate ana lucia. ownage show otherwise. jj ftw

Shaggar posted:

so im rewatching lost and oh boy do we hate ana lucia.

Shaggar posted:

so im rewatching lost

Shaggar posted:

rewatching lost

netcraft confirms it: shaggar is a loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
:lost:

someone post that lost dog gif where it wakes up and hits the wall and then pretend that was here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lost was cool but I'll never rewatch it

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 20, 2011

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

:lost:

someone post that lost dog gif where it wakes up and hits the wall and then pretend that was here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

netcraft confirms it: shaggar is a loving idiot

lost owns. sorry u hate fun

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
lost owned until like season 3 but they kept stringing you along making it seem like all would be revealed

then

well

season 6

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
but it made the nedroid lost comics exist so all is forgiven

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ok i like fun soft sci fi, like from the preview bit i read on world war z it seems like it'd be a fun poopcorn read

i also enjoyed ender's game even though it was just 'arry pottah in space

on the other hand 1984 is my favorite book ever idunno how scifi that counts as

recommend me something yospors

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

ok i like fun soft sci fi, like from the preview bit i read on world war z it seems like it'd be a fun poopcorn read

never let me go

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if you have not read the Martian chronicles get out and don't come back until you have

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

haveblue posted:

if you have not read the Martian chronicles get out and don't come back until you have

poo poo yeah bradbury

okey laters

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
likewise with the John Carter Warlord of Mars novels

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mr_jim posted:

i like post apocalyptic novels and all, but i don't know what's with all these zombie books coming out in the last few years.

who the gently caress is buying these?

christ, there's a website: http://www.zombiebooklist.com/

e: World War Z apparently has good reviews, but i just don't get the appeal.

:ughh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

fuckin' love that gif

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

haveblue posted:

i will remedy this

edit: ugh no kindle version?!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
why would you pay for media? what the gently caress. is this 1978?

to use this "link," "click" on it with your "mouse"

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search.html/?format=html&default_prefix=all&sort_order=downloads&query=barsoom

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

i dont' remember the part where harry murdered all the muggles by accident

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lamont Cranston posted:

i dont' remember the part where harry murdered all the muggles by accident
looks like someone needs to re-read Order of the Phoenix more closely :smug:

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

haveblue posted:

i have some of the original paperbacks on my bookshelf. my dad read them to me when i was a kid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
lost was intermittently good and mostly fun to watch and then just went bluhbluhbluh and started smearing poop all over itself in the last twenty minutes of the show

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Started Singularity Sky last night, never read any Stross before because he seemed really goony but it was like $2 used so I figured I'd check it out.

it's basically about a super-advanced space 4chan

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Here's my recommendation, don't read World War Z

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

lost owned until like season 3 but they kept stringing you along making it seem like all would be revealed

then

well

season 6

lost wasnt about some planned out story, it was a writing experiment to see if characters are more important than plot when it comes to tv. turns out they are (duh). They built a core character set that was easy to follow and then put them into interesting situations. There was no plan so dont worry about it if some things are wierd. They just went season to season thinking up interesting things to do with the characters and to see if they could tie it all together. in the end they couldnt, but its still pretty fun to watch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lost: hey guys, we don't even need to try to write consistent good stories any more! we can just throw audiences a random stream of poo poo and they'll eat it all up just the same as long as they like the characters!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the season long stories were pretty good imo. it only started to fall off at the end when they had to try to wrap everything up. i think it would have been better if they had just ended it abruptly instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
still wishing they had gone for the joop ending

quote:

On the May 4, 2007 podcast, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse joked that Joop was their solution to ending the show, should it be abruptly cancelled. The final scene would be a cut to a desk and a leather chair, which would turn to reveal Joop saying, "Hello I'm Joop. I bet you're wondering who I am," with a pipe in his mouth. Joop would then proceed to explain all of the Island's mysteries in a crisp and satisfactory fashion.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if you can read while working out youre not working out right

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

poty posted:

if you can read while working out youre not working out right

Sure you can, if you're bouncing around like all your limbs are a different length on the elliptical you're doing it wrong (there's a girl at the gym in the morning that looks exactly like this image). I can't read on the treadmill, but reading on the elliptical/stair master/stationary bike is doable.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Worst final episode: Lost or Battlestar Galactica?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

lost by a million miles but BSG "ended" for me when they found out who the last 4 cylons were, the whole last season was just going through the motions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lost had a dumb ending but it wasnt terrible b/c i mean how are you gonna wrap up a bunch of disjointed stories like that.

BSG had a dumb ending, but it was a bad show for most of its run so a bad ending fit the show just fine.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

the last 9 or so episodes of DS9 were good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most episodes of ds9 were good

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i enjoyed both lost and bsg endings. not in a "best ending ever" way but in a "its nice to see things wrapped up" way. even if they weren't wrapped up in the absolute perfect way everyone wanted to see. jeez it's just a tv show!!!

i also liked the seinfeld ending and i seem to remember liking the x-files ending

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
best part of both endings were the spluttering "SPIRITUALITY??? IN MY SCIENCE FICTION??????" nerd rants

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

i'd say lost just because the dropoff in quality, and hence the disappointment, was so abrupt. lost stayed pretty entertaining to me all the way through, and even up until ~15 minutes from the end of the last episode i thought they were building toward a fairly interesting conclusion and then WHAMMO

bsg was basically a long slow slide from being pretty amazing mid-season 3 down to a sad wet farting noise at the end

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lost wasnt about some planned out story, it was a writing experiment to see if characters are more important than plot when it comes to tv. turns out they are (duh). They built a core character set that was easy to follow and then put them into interesting situations. There was no plan so dont worry about it if some things are wierd. They just went season to season thinking up interesting things to do with the characters and to see if they could tie it all together. in the end they couldnt, but its still pretty fun to watch.

lol you're one of "those" people

alright keep fellating yourself and your likeminded friends that Lost was always about the characters and never had mystery as its core premise and the reason people watched the show

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

best part of both endings were the spluttering "SPIRITUALITY??? IN MY SCIENCE FICTION??????" nerd rants

best part of the bsg ending for me was some nerd on the internet going "well, who says it has to be god did it? maybe an inscrutable super-AI did it!"

"oh okay. so now it's god A WIZARD did it! that changes everything."

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 20, 2011

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
also Lost had some pretty satisfying mystery conclusions

but a lot of them were exclusively online

like there was a pretty reasonable explanation (if not psuedosciency BS) for the numbers that i would have been happy with on the show, but it was buried deep within some lovely ARG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

like there was a pretty reasonable explanation (if not psuedosciency BS) for the numbers that i would have been happy with on the show, but it was buried deep within some lovely ARG

yeah this is actually the part of lost that bugged me more than any finale could have. to the casual viewer (me) it appeared like they just abandoned so many things.

• Locked thread