Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

haveblue posted:

there is no category of anything which contains both bsg and voyager except maybe "sci-fi tv shows"

cmon brew bsg was objectively bad from like the start of season 3 to the end i dont have it in me to sperg about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

the earthworm jim where the plot revolved around how dogs had once committed a great sin and as such dog hell had been created and vacuums were all independent portals to dog hell which is why dogs were both terrified of them and ashamed of their terror

lol what

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axolotl farmer posted:

I watched it in my 20s and it still owned.

Earthworm Jim and Eek! the cat are the most underappreciated 90s cartoons.

It never hurts to help! :buddy:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i went on a date last night w/ a girl who says Voyager was her favorite star trek

sigh

the search continues....................................

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

graph posted:

lol what

yeah EWJ + Sam & Max the cartoon were pro as hell

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

Kirk posted:

i went on a date last night w/ a girl who says Voyager was her favorite star trek

sigh

the search continues....................................

it's definitely the girliest trek so really she deserves sympathy not scorn

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe she liked 7/9 :q: if so she's a keeper

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
her reasoning was that janeway was such a strong woman and she had so much responsibility

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lameway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
turok dinosaur hunter

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

lameway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
neelix was basically the jar jar binks of star trek franchise

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the doctor & neelix spinoff series. they get an apartment in the delta quadrant and their next door neighbors are borg!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
please state the nature of the medi--- oh poo poo neelix you card, assimilated again??!?? *laughtrack*

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
one thing i never got was at the end of ds9 the female founder was worried that surrendering would somehow doom the dominion even though their own territory on the other side of the wormhole hadn't been touched during the war

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

InferiorWang posted:

one thing i never got was at the end of ds9 the female founder was worried that surrendering would somehow doom the dominion even though their own territory on the other side of the wormhole hadn't been touched during the war

shows the dominion to be weak, there were lots of instances of rebellion on planets inside of the dominion and news of their defeat in the alpha quadrant would have meant more of that poo poo.

additionally they saw the federation as an aggressive threat post-war, losing a foothold in the alpha quadrant meant that eventually the federation might come busting in.

her worry that the dominion would be doomed wasn't a worry about immediate destruction, but eventual. the dominion thinks long term.

plus the changeling disease was rampaging through her species at the time and i think the idea was that if they forced the federation to surrender they could get a cure out of them.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sniep posted:

turok dinosaur hunter

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

still lovin this cover. wish i could be like that spaceman. i wish i could be with him :allears:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stuff I read recently that was good:

Ilium
Olympos
The Colour of Magic

Discworld seems like a fantasy version of Hitchhiker's Guide that's better in every way.

Speaking of TV, I was watching Star Trek on Netflix and at one point Picard whips out a tablet and it's like 3 times as thick as the iPad

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

Kirk posted:

her reasoning was that janeway was such a strong woman and she had so much responsibility

she was waiting for you to jump in and argue that voyager was, if anything, the most anti-feminist series with the worst female characters

instead you let her go into the night wondering where all the good nerds have gone, nice work dumby

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TOOT BOOT posted:

Discworld seems like a fantasy version of Hitchhiker's Guide that's better in every way.

half of this is true

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

cleanhands posted:

she was waiting for you to jump in and argue that voyager was, if anything, the most anti-feminist series with the worst female characters

instead you let her go into the night wondering where all the good nerds have gone, nice work dumby

actually if you paid attention you'd see that janeway was a powerful 4th wave feminist

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

half of this is true

Hitchhiker's Guide isn't horrible, it's just that DA had a tendency to slap you in the face with the joke, and the pacing is terrible which is why I never got past the halfway point of book 2 even though I thought they were funny.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

Kirk posted:

actually if you paid attention you'd see that janeway was a powerful 4th wave feminist

theres a difference between having a feminist character and having that character's actions promote a feminist agenda

kind of like how joss whedon writes tons of Strong Independent Women but then has horrible degrading things happen to them constantly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
woman who can kick your rear end != independent woman

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

haveblue posted:

woman who can kick your rear end != independent woman

not according to joss!

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

thats why i put Capital Letters on it, its just like being on tvtropes but without all the junior high revenge fantasies

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Kirk posted:

4th wave femynysm is about a woman's right to gently caress everything up?

turns out I know a lot of feminists :xd:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sneaking Mission posted:

still lovin this cover. wish i could be like that spaceman. i wish i could be with him :allears:

a world ... built upon dope and vice

holy poo poo we need to fuckin' jump-start the manned spaceflight program, right away

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
aaaah! real monsters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

a world ... built upon dope and vice

holy poo poo we need to fuckin' jump-start the manned spaceflight program, right away

mars needs women

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

axolotl farmer posted:

I watched it in my 20s and it still owned.

Earthworm Jim and Eek! the cat are the most underappreciated 90s cartoons.

eek the cat owned and i forgot it existed till now

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
i might watch 2001 a space odyssey tonight
should I/

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
depends how much weed u got

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I think I might go out drinking, except not actually, I'll go out pretending like I'm gonna drink, get really wasted and come home and then just post on yospos while watching 2001 a space odyssey

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brace posted:

I think I might go out drinking, except not actually, I'll go out pretending like I'm gonna drink, get really wasted and come home and then just post on yospos while watching 2001 a space odyssey

2011 a shitposting odyssey

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brace posted:

I think I might go out drinking, except not actually, I'll go out pretending like I'm gonna drink, get really wasted and come home and then just not post on yospos while watching 2001 a space odyssey

there, now it's a good plan

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
oh you guys

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

if you end up getting probated for drunk posting, i'm down with this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

so I just finished "Fiasco", read it based on a recommendation in this thread, wtf was up with the ending? It's like he sent a letter to Stephen King asking for advice on how to gently caress up the ending of an otherwise decent book.

but yeah other than the last paragraph or two it was bad radical

• Locked thread