Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

scamtank posted:

Lost Planet, perhaps?

The only FPS game I remember having equal FPS and mech elements is Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but that was all the way back in 1998.

No, never played either of those I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

scamtank posted:

Lost Planet, perhaps?

The only FPS game I remember having equal FPS and mech elements is Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but that was all the way back in 1998.
This totally sounds like Lost Planet what with the ice, and the U-shaped courtyard sounds a lot like the map from the multiplayer demo.

^^^ you sure? I thiiiiiiiink it was Lost Planet where early in the game, you have to fight an overpowered mech boss that shot homing missles all over the goddamn place, and you had to keep boosting to hide behind some pillar then pop and shoot him a lot to wear him down. Definitely not Armored Core because there were story elements to it, which leads me to thinking of Lost Planet.

If you're going oldy older though, there's Heavy Gear and Mechwarrior 2(they had ice poo poo in that one I thought).

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 23, 2011

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I promise, i've never played Lost Planet. :)

U-shaped courtyard with buildings about three storeys high, maybe more, some gun emplacements down the sides that did huge damage, which you took out first if you were sensible ... oh, what the hell was it? And I'm sure it was just a mech section in a regular shooter, because the only mech game I have ever played was Mechwarrior 2. Which this wasn't.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Starsiege was pretty unusual in that its mechs were agile enough to permit FPS-like movement.

Do you have any year bracket it could fit in?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I think more than five years ago, less than twelve. Not hugely helpful. Before HDR lighting and bloom effects etc. if I remember right.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Do any of you goons remember the name of a PC maze game circa mid to late 90's? It was a top down game, just mazes with keyboard control. The rest of the details are fuzzy, but it could have been bundled with Chip's Challenge (almost certain it isn't Chip's Challenge or Rodent's Revenge).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

A hundred billion years ago I played some MMORPG. At first, the graphics were terribly ugly, very similar to an early Ultima game. It eventually got a graphical upgrade and then became more akin to UO. It had harvesting and crafting, I remember farming on there. I can't remember too many more details.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It sounds like Runescape to me, which I know changed engines at some point in an effort to not be sinfully ugly anymore.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ghostlight posted:

It sounds like Runescape to me, which I know changed engines at some point in an effort to not be sinfully ugly anymore.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm absolutely positive it wasn't Runescape.

Metamucil
May 10, 2011
Okay, so there is this Genesis game I played growing up. It was a side-scrolling platformer/adventure game where you play as a boy who can transform into different creatures. The transformations that stick out in my mind are a dragon, a mouse, and a fish. One of the posters on this forum has an avatar featuring the boy in his dragon form - it really just looks like a little pixelated boy wearing a dragon costume. Can anyone tell me the name of this game? Thanks in advance

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Metamucil posted:

Okay, so there is this Genesis game I played growing up. It was a side-scrolling platformer/adventure game where you play as a boy who can transform into different creatures. The transformations that stick out in my mind are a dragon, a mouse, and a fish. One of the posters on this forum has an avatar featuring the boy in his dragon form - it really just looks like a little pixelated boy wearing a dragon costume. Can anyone tell me the name of this game? Thanks in advance

Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap although it never appeared on the Genesis.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You might also be thinking of Little Nemo: The Dream Master, but that was on NES.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've got a couple of games I'm maybe getting jumbled together in my head. (Arcade)

1 - A third person arcade racer in the style of Outrun, the car you drove had a bomb in it, hitting checkpoints extended it's countdown. Possibly a silver porshe type car. I think badguys tried to ram you off the road.

2 - A game that was basically Chase HQ with better graphics. I seem to remember you driving a yellow lamborghini type car. You possibly had a number of activatable turbo powerups, and there was a system where you couldn't run the car at full turbo without overheating and possibly exploding.

3 - First person hybrid of chase HQ and Operation Wolf. There were two lightguns mounted on the dash, one for the driver and one for a passenger who shot exclusively. The best way to play was for the driver to exclusively drive and for the passenger to take the drivers gun and dual wield. I think there was a Riggs and Murtaugh type duo on the cabinet, possibly even on screen.

Also!

Early C64 game, you had a bunch of different game types, the one I remember most was a sidescrolling green jeep, that could fire missiles into the air or along the ground. It could jump over gaps. You could also go on foot (in a swamp) and (maybe) fly a helicopter depending on the level. It wasn't SWIV, and I remember the tune Colonel Bogie played at some bits, possibly on the jeep level.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 26, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ShineDog posted:

3 - First person hybrid of chase HQ and Operation Wolf. There were two lightguns mounted on the dash, one for the driver and one for a passenger who shot exclusively. The best way to play was for the driver to exclusively drive and for the passenger to take the drivers gun and dual wield.

Lucky & Wild, one of my favorite arcade games ever.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Rollersnake posted:

Lucky & Wild, one of my favorite arcade games ever.

You are the king of men.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ShineDog posted:

Also!

Early C64 game, you had a bunch of different game types, the one I remember most was a sidescrolling green jeep, that could fire missiles into the air or along the ground. It could jump over gaps. You could also go on foot (in a swamp) and (maybe) fly a helicopter depending on the level. It wasn't SWIV, and I remember the tune Colonel Bogie played at some bits, possibly on the jeep level.

Army Moves

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This may be a stretch. SNES game, Japanese only, top down RPG. It had realistic graphics (sprites were human in appearance instead of the deformed Final Fantasy style, great detail in textures and environment) and stood out by taking place in a modern time. The main characters were school kids based on their clothing. It's not that Sailor Moon RPG but the style is similar (albeit more realistic instead of cartoony).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

This may be a stretch. SNES game, Japanese only, top down RPG. It had realistic graphics (sprites were human in appearance instead of the deformed Final Fantasy style, great detail in textures and environment) and stood out by taking place in a modern time. The main characters were school kids based on their clothing. It's not that Sailor Moon RPG but the style is similar (albeit more realistic instead of cartoony).

This might be that game that was recently translated by a goon, and I forget the name of it.

vvvvv EDIT: Ah, well, I dug up the thread anyway, it's almost in the archives!

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 28, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Discount Viscount posted:

This might be that game that was recently translated by a goon, and I forget the name of it.

Adventures of Hourai High, but that definitely doesn't have a realistic sprite style.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
This is a game I only remember foggily, but here goes:

I think it's a PC game from the mid nineties, and it's in 3D. It had a time travel theme or something, and it was a brawler. I remember it started in the ice age or something, and you walk along and fight some guys, and then you fight a saber tooth tiger. I think there might be some medieval parts later, but I really don't remember it very well. I think it was a brawler.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

beanbrew posted:

This is a game I only remember foggily, but here goes:

I think it's a PC game from the mid nineties, and it's in 3D. It had a time travel theme or something, and it was a brawler. I remember it started in the ice age or something, and you walk along and fight some guys, and then you fight a saber tooth tiger. I think there might be some medieval parts later, but I really don't remember it very well. I think it was a brawler.

Time Commando. I loving love Time Commando.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

al-azad posted:

Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap although it never appeared on the Genesis.
Best game on the system. You may also be remembering a bit from the sequel, Wonder Boy in Monster World, which was on the Genesis and is also a very good game.

Metamucil
May 10, 2011
Yeah, it was definitely Wonder Boy. Thanks guys!

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

scamtank posted:

Time Commando. I loving love Time Commando.

That's it! It's been bothering me for a while. Thanks! :)

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looking for a platformer game, either for the NES or SNES.

I think it involved a walking mech that could shoot at enemies. I remember it being mentioned possibly in this thread or in the Flash game thread as a criticism to VVVVVV, as the game used the same game-play of gravity switching, as opposed to jumping.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

M. Propagandalf posted:

Looking for a platformer game, either for the NES or SNES.

I think it involved a walking mech that could shoot at enemies. I remember it being mentioned possibly in this thread or in the Flash game thread as a criticism to VVVVVV, as the game used the same game-play of gravity switching, as opposed to jumping.

Metal Storm

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Metal Storm

That's it. Thanks.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
So when I was younger, much younger, my dad gave me a floppy disk labeled GAMES for my old lovely computer he got me that i was ecstatic about because it was my first PC, windows 95 or something.

And I remember one of the games on that disk was a Scooby Doo game. Shareware or something, not like a retail game.

You would load it up and there would be a big dramatic lightning crash and then you’d get into the game proper by heading into some big dramatic spooky mansion

And then a dracula or something would turn the lights off and on a few times and then the final time there’d be a bunch of cards and it was a simple concentration/memory/whatever you wanna call it game. click card, monster on it, match to another of the same monster.

Once you did the whole board you caught the monster that was flipping the lights and it turned out to be old man jenkins, or whatever.

I cannot, for the life of me, find this game anywhere online and I really want to play it, but jesus christ, it's like it doesn't exist at all. Anyone else play this when they were younger? Either it had some distinctive name and that's why none of my "scooby doo memory game" searches come up with anything, or it was just too old and too non-noteworthy to show up anywhere.

ShadowMan024
Mar 21, 2004

Marooned in MoonLand, there there.
I've been desperately trying to remember the title for a few days, but have so far been failing.

This was an arcade action/SF game that I played in the early 90s, so the game might have been late 80s.

Either you play as a girl on a jet ski, or the opening title screen had an anime-style girl on it. When you lose a life, your jet ski blows up and you leap into the air and land on a new ski.

It's kinda similar to Hydria by Atari.

I thought either Namco or Taito made the game, but I could be wrong.

If anyone knows what game I'm talking about, I'd really appreciate knowing the title.

Thanks!

EDIT: After 4 more hours of painful searching, I found it - the title is "Burning Force."

ShadowMan024 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 10, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

So when I was younger, much younger, my dad gave me a floppy disk labeled GAMES for my old lovely computer he got me that i was ecstatic about because it was my first PC, windows 95 or something.

And I remember one of the games on that disk was a Scooby Doo game. Shareware or something, not like a retail game.

You would load it up and there would be a big dramatic lightning crash and then you’d get into the game proper by heading into some big dramatic spooky mansion

And then a dracula or something would turn the lights off and on a few times and then the final time there’d be a bunch of cards and it was a simple concentration/memory/whatever you wanna call it game. click card, monster on it, match to another of the same monster.

Once you did the whole board you caught the monster that was flipping the lights and it turned out to be old man jenkins, or whatever.

I cannot, for the life of me, find this game anywhere online and I really want to play it, but jesus christ, it's like it doesn't exist at all. Anyone else play this when they were younger? Either it had some distinctive name and that's why none of my "scooby doo memory game" searches come up with anything, or it was just too old and too non-noteworthy to show up anywhere.

This is the only thing I could find that would match the lovely and old criteria. The rest on the Wikipedia list are 1995 or later.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
I'm looking for the title of a PC Game that I saw on G4 a long time ago. If I remember correctly it was an RTS based in Ancient Greece but you could go into first person mode with a hero. Someone please help, I've been looking for this game for a long time.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

This is the only thing I could find that would match the lovely and old criteria. The rest on the Wikipedia list are 1995 or later.
I think Mobygames is generally a better way to rediscover obscure games, but even though it lists more Scooby Doo games than the Wikipedia page, it doesn't look like the one Lavender was describing is among them.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

TheSteelCurtain posted:

I'm looking for the title of a PC Game that I saw on G4 a long time ago. If I remember correctly it was an RTS based in Ancient Greece but you could go into first person mode with a hero. Someone please help, I've been looking for this game for a long time.

Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Not THAT old, it was an early 90s game, like I said, it ran on a windows 95 PC. When I say old I mean "it didn't come out recently", not "it was a commodore 64 game" or something. I think it was some sort of freeware or shareware game, not a packaged thing, so it wouldn't be the kind of game you pick up in a store, but rather some sort of hanna barbera branded freeware download my dad stuck on a floppy for me. It was very short as all you had to do was a single game of memory and then the mystery was solved and the program would close itself shortly after, I believe.

I've sort of given up on this as it is way too obscure to be found I'm guessing, but I thought asking here might be worth a shot.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It certainly is. Maybe someone who actually played it will happen by, recognize your description, and chime in. Seems like if the info were already on some website you/we'd have found it already.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I'm sure I've asked about this game in one of these types of threads before, but have long since forgotten the answer. It was a top-down shooter from the late eighties or early nineties, set in a war in the jungle. The aesthetic was similar to games like Ikari Warriors, Commando and Guerilla War, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of those. One distinguishing feature is that there were animals such as oxen and turtles scattered around the jungle, and they would keel over when shot. I feel like there were segments where you waded through water and others where you controlled a turret on a plane.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Mercs?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Similar type of game, but doesn't quite look like the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shock Troopers is one like that I used to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Connellingus posted:

Similar type of game, but doesn't quite look like the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, though.

Try looking up Cal .50, I haven't played it in ages so I'm not 100% sure about the animal thing but I'm pretty sure it had a wading-through-the-river level.

Edit: And after checking Youtube it does have the animals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hXZqWtV9lw.

pud fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 12, 2011

• Locked thread