Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Impossible to hear through the helmet and the visor is usually pretty fogged up by the time boarding is completed so that's actually news to me.

Does Deltalina wagging her finger at you really get you that hot and bothered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BonzoESC posted:

Does Deltalina wagging her finger at you really get you that hot and bothered?
It just makes me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6EFotzBoY

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Saw this today.

Planes on trains across the plains.

I bet they were put there by cranes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

Saw this today.

This picture owns.

Too bad there's no precipitation.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Those are inbound to where I work! Sometimes they show up with holes in them presumably from shotguns which seems funny to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ack! posted:

Those are inbound to where I work! Sometimes they show up with holes in them presumably from shotguns which seems funny to me.

So there are going to be 737s out there that have been patched before even flying?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah, pretty common actually. Today we couldn't do our job because an engine cowl was damaged during painting. There was a fuselage that went through a pretty bad hailstorm/tornado awhile back and it will be in tip top shape again. I think it is for a KLM plane, actually.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ApathyGifted posted:

I gotta ask, what the hell do you do and why do you weekly commute by plane?

weekly commute by plane is not like some sort of rare thing

i weekly commuted by plane for an extended amount of time; it was even more fun when i weekly commuted by plane and then went elsewhere on planes based out of where i was weekly commuting to

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

CRAZY NAZI poo poo: MAN PORTABLE HELICOPTERS

This mother fucker was designed to be towed from the sail of a U-Boat. I think you could get it up to a couple hundred feet. It is unpowered and works via some sort of autorotative concept (I know dick about aerodynamics clearly). I want to make one and tow it behind a motorboat as the most metal form of parasailing ever.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

weekly commute by plane is not like some sort of rare thing

i weekly commuted by plane for an extended amount of time; it was even more fun when i weekly commuted by plane and then went elsewhere on planes based out of where i was weekly commuting to

I did it for part of 2009 and 2010; FLL-TPA every week is pretty tolerable, since FLL is quick to get through and the flight is only forty minutes.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Too bad there's no precipitation.
The reign of the train fell mainly to the plane. :laugh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

I did it for part of 2009 and 2010; FLL-TPA every week is pretty tolerable, since FLL is quick to get through and the flight is only forty minutes.

BOS-IAD what up I think my OTA was like 60% on the Friday IAD-BOS flight. 72 minutes gate to gate.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

iyaayas01 posted:

Rotor tip ramjets you say?

I give you the Hiller YH-32/HJ-1:

One of the few aircraft to rival the Bear and the Thunderscreech for sheer noise. No intercom either, all crew communication had to be done by screaming and gesturing.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Poor pictures but i saw something that might interest some of you guys

behold the Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter

I saw this sitting along side the road on recent road trip, was not expecting to see this there so I had to stop and take a look. Evidently a local inn owner wanted an attraction for his business (Don Qinn) so he bought this instead of letting it get scrapped in the seventies. It is displayed in front of his inn. There used to be a small airstrip next to the inn (less than a 3000 foot runway). This C-97s last flight was on to this airfield (would it even be able to take off from that?). It is open and you can walk into the upper deck and cockpit. Don Quinn I guess had wanted to turn it into a coffee shop at one time, but I guess that never happened as it really has not been modified and is still intact. They called it 377 but I think that it is a C-97 based on the nose shape. It also has that cougar emblem on the front because I guess mercury used that plane in a car commercial.

the overall shape is sad, there are holes in the floor of the cockpit and the tires are flat and sort of rolled off the concrete pads.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.992634,-90.138842&spn=0.004771,0.011362&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&iwloc=B&lci=com.panoramio.all

edit, found a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLrITQ1lbQs

Vork!Vork!Vork! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 16, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

BOS-IAD what up I think my OTA was like 60% on the Friday IAD-BOS flight. 72 minutes gate to gate.

The Friday afternoon TPA-FLL never ran on time because WN always wanted to wait for stragglers, and nobody has Friday night connections in FLL.

The Monday morning FLL-TPA usually left early; everyone would be waiting in the gate area to board and claim their seat. Best part of flying Southwest was the boarding procedure.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ApathyGifted posted:

I gotta ask, what the hell do you do and why do you weekly commute by plane?

I am an Engineer for a railway company. I was working on site at one of our major depots/workshops for a 6 month tenure since they needed a skill-set that I had in a pinch and didn't want to advertise a temporary position. They can't force me to relocate as part of our enterprise agreement and I would've told them to shove it had they asked me to spend my weekends there, so they flew me back every weekend. Effectively I did 5 on, 2 off FIFO.

I wore lazy comfortable clothes like that because I'd spend all week wearing full safety PPE (big steel-capped boots, long sleeved shirt + trousers, hard hat, etc etc.) so the more time I could lazily spend half-asleep in comfy clothes, the better I was.

The major downside, apart from spending 2 nights a week home, was that I was put on LCCs so I didn't rack up frequent flyer miles nearly as effectively as I could have. Stupid cheap work :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I love it when I haven't visited Airliners.net in a week or so and I get a flood of awesome images under "top of last X days"

Oh my god the colors, it's like looking back at my micromachine air force!

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 16, 2011

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boomerjinks posted:

Love those Fullbacks so much.

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>

Boomerjinks posted:

Saw this today.

Planes as trains on... meh I got nothing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Poor pictures but i saw something that might interest some of you guys

behold the Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter

I saw this sitting along side the road on recent road trip, was not expecting to see this there so I had to stop and take a look. Evidently a local inn owner wanted an attraction for his business (Don Qinn) so he bought this instead of letting it get scrapped in the seventies. It is displayed in front of his inn. There used to be a small airstrip next to the inn (less than a 3000 foot runway). This C-97s last flight was on to this airfield (would it even be able to take off from that?). It is open and you can walk into the upper deck and cockpit. Don Quinn I guess had wanted to turn it into a coffee shop at one time, but I guess that never happened as it really has not been modified and is still intact. They called it 377 but I think that it is a C-97 based on the nose shape. It also has that cougar emblem on the front because I guess mercury used that plane in a car commercial.

the overall shape is sad, there are holes in the floor of the cockpit and the tires are flat and sort of rolled off the concrete pads.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.992634,-90.138842&spn=0.004771,0.011362&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&iwloc=B&lci=com.panoramio.all

edit, found a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLrITQ1lbQs

C-97 was just a militarized 377

or was it the other way around?

Anyway, only real difference was the interior.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Some T-50 shots from the MAKS show:

With the rest of the family:

Glamour shots time:

Setting aside any :can: discussion about its performance/development timeline vs the JSF/Raptor/Euro-canards/whatever, that is a very nice looking fighter. That last shot is goddamned gorgeous.

And re: C-97 vs 377, the C-97 came first.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Boomerjinks posted:

How...what? That's beautiful!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Nam Taf posted:

I wore lazy comfortable clothes like that because I'd spend all week wearing full safety PPE (big steel-capped boots, long sleeved shirt + trousers, hard hat, etc etc.) so the more time I could lazily spend half-asleep in comfy clothes, the better I was.

I did the road warrior thing for two years as a corporate trainer, and going outbound I just wore shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers that I could pull off and put back on in mere seconds. I'd crash on the plane and knew that I'd screw up a nice set of clothes between the sleeping and getting a car and hauling my luggage into whatever odd city I was headed to. I live in MEM, but flew to SDF and CLE and DEN and ABQ and DFW and CVG and lots of other places, often connecting through ATL or DTW. I'd generally fly out on a Sunday and arrive in the dark, so I just wanted to be comfortable (without going the full pajamas and slippers routine). Then it was five days in a shirt and tie doing training, and I'd generally fly home dressed up nice.

One weird thing: I often wore a baseball cap, and got about a 50%/50% request to remove it at the security screening.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Whenever I've worn a cap I've received a request to remove it, but I am young and notwhite so...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iyaayas01 posted:

Some T-50 shots from the MAKS show:

I had no idea there were 2 already. Such a gorgeous plane. I read on Aviation Week that they plan on HEAVILY exporting them, shooting for a cost half as much as a Typhoon and roughly equal to the super export F-16's. At that cost, they will get a few wins for sure.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

[quote="MA-Horus"]
How...what? That's beautiful!

I'm pretty sure this is a shot of the Magellanic Clouds, which are visible from the Southern Hemisphere.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 17, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr.Peabody posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a shot of the Magellanic Clouds, which are visible from the Southern Hemisphere.

Looks like the galactic core to me. I think it's had a bit of manipulation though, for the stars to be so bright, the exposure would have been pretty long and should have been washed out judging by the light on the wingtip.

I am not a photographer though. :downs:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

slidebite posted:

Looks like the galactic core to me. I think it's had a bit of manipulation though, for the stars to be so bright, the exposure would have been pretty long and should have been washed out judging by the light on the wingtip.

Probably brightened a bit, but with a large enough sensor it's totally possible. It's not like the stars are perfectly in focus, either, they are a bit fuzzy OH GOD I'M DEBATING PHOTO MANIPULATION ON THE INTERNET :gonk:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Sirveaux posted:

Planes as trains on... meh I got nothing.

What is this? Looks chinese

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

What is this? Looks chinese
Scottish.

Brochures:
http://www.nas.gov.uk/downloads/DD17-117-2-1.pdf
http://www.nas.gov.uk/downloads/DD17-117-2-2.pdf

VVVVVVVV

It was torn down and sold for scrap in the 50s and 60s.
(that is, the test track in Milngavie)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 17, 2011

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
I have been on St Vincent Street this week and can unfortunately confirm that there is no Railplane there.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Kilonum posted:

C-97 was just a militarized 377

or was it the other way around?

Anyway, only real difference was the interior.

HAHAHA YES! Always wanted to go in it. Right by Dodge ville right? the Don Q Inn is actually a sex hotel with themed rooms complete with a toy store... I dont know this from personal experience.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

HAHAHA YES! Always wanted to go in it. Right by Dodge ville right? the Don Q Inn is actually a sex hotel with themed rooms complete with a toy store... I dont know this from personal experience.
yep just north of dodgeville on highway 23, not far from the house on the rock.

I did not go in the hotel and I did not know about that. the advertised treehouse room and church steeple room make more sense now though.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cygni posted:

I had no idea there were 2 already. Such a gorgeous plane. I read on Aviation Week that they plan on HEAVILY exporting them, shooting for a cost half as much as a Typhoon and roughly equal to the super export F-16's. At that cost, they will get a few wins for sure.

Anybody know enough more, or read enough more def-blogs than I do to know if that is remotely realistic?

Every time I see a "Build an SU-30 in 6 minutes" video on youtube, it looks like 20 guys in a shed. What are their other product/prices like, can they seriously bang out a goddamn enormous 5th generation twinjet heavy fighter for the price of an export F-16? and do it again and again 600 times? What factor should we divide by for marketing bullshit?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I would say highly unrealistic. The initial Su-30MKI's were sold to India for around $40m. The last batch is somewhere around $100m each. The listed 'target' price for the Pak FA is something like $55.6m which frankly sounds drat near impossible to me.

But even if it rolls off for twice that, it's still basically the same price as a Typhoon or an F-35.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

As I recall, the PAK-FA is a joint Russia-India project, so we'll doubtless see a couple hundred in service in both countries. Beyond that, who will they export an aircraft that will likely come in well over their current unit price promises? There are only a handful of countries beyond those two with the resources and the wherewithal to buy aircraft like these. The Chinese won't, as they have their own project, the J-20, under way. No Western nation will buy them (obviously), nor will anyone in the Middle East. Iran probably won't get them because the Russians and Indians feel just as threatened by the Iranians as anyone else these days; if anything, they'll buy the J-20 before the PAK-FA.

About the only countries I can think of that might buy the PAK-FA are Venezuela, Indonesia and perhaps Vietnam.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well like everything on god's green earth that comes in flat gray comes in above projected unit price so it ain't like that's some sort of unique negative feature of the aircraft

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

slidebite posted:

The red nav light on an aircraft is on the left wing, and it's positioned in such a way that it wouldn't be visible on the top of the wing. So either it's a filter or it's the sensitivity of the CMOS. It wasn't really a long exposure shot, but at a high enough altitude you don't really need as long of an exposure as long as your lens is large enough due to the limited amount of atmospheric diffraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

Love those Fullbacks so much.
Just don't do any negative-g maneuvers while Grigor's on the pot or fixing a bowl of shchi.