Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't remember this except for idiots that tried running it on an MX400.

I got it on launch day and it worked fine for me on my lovely 9600. :colbert:

Oh yeah, that was back in the early days of the graphics card stupid naming wars. You might think that because it's a Geforce 4 it'll be faster than your GeForce 3, but ha, fooled you! It's got a couple of extra features but it's basically a GeForce 2. Ha ha ha ha ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SappinMahBaby
Feb 20, 2006
"In the Flesh?"
Pardon me if this is no longer the case, but I seem to remember there being something about in-game advertisements in HR? The latest article I can find about it is from like May so I'm not even sure if this is still a thing. I didn't find anything about it in the op which must mean they changed their minds and there's not going to be lovely obnoxious ads, right?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
The impression I got from sneaking a peek at the trailers and interviews are that they designed a shitload of fictional products and advertised them in-game so we might get some updated real life product placement but with slight-future products.

Kinect 2 advertising as an augmentation on the xbox version!

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I wonder how many DVDs the box version will come on.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
DVDs? I'm expecting a preloaded hard-drive amount of game I can just snap into my 'box and play.

SappinMahBaby
Feb 20, 2006
"In the Flesh?"

Local Group Bus posted:

The impression I got from sneaking a peek at the trailers and interviews are that they designed a shitload of fictional products and advertised them in-game so we might get some updated real life product placement but with slight-future products.

Kinect 2 advertising as an augmentation on the xbox version!

Ehhh I guess that's not so bad. Movies do the same sort of poo poo.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Local Group Bus posted:

DVDs? I'm expecting a preloaded hard-drive amount of game I can just snap into my 'box and play.

The future of videogames, just buy a 120gb HD for 20 bucks and go. It's like nintendo 64 carts but from the future.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Tapatio posted:

I wonder how many DVDs the box version will come on.

System requirements say 8.5 gigabytes of hard drive space required, so it'll be just one dual-layer DVD.

Also, where's that pre-load? I'd hate to have it unlock at midnight then go back to sleep while it downloads.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-loads historically, seem to happen on the Friday before a release. If they don't, then it probably won't at all. Unlocks almost always happen at 10am pacific on release day.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
True, but I'm pretty sure this will be an exception (there are a few of those throughout Steam history) in which it will be released at or around midnight. I know there are stores doing midnight releases (Monday Night/Early Tuesday Morning). Best Buy among others I'm sure.

Certainly they won't make us PC gamers wait until 10 AM Tuesday to play... will they? :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Pre-loads historically, seem to happen on the Friday before a release. If they don't, then it probably won't at all. Unlocks almost always happen at 10am pacific on release day.
And before anyone asks (again) people who purchased from Green Man Gaming will also get a chance to preload.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

I said come in! posted:

This is one thing I'm hoping won't effect me, I bought from Game.uk they normally get me the game a day before it's officially released in the UK.

Problem is I think the boxed version will still need Steam to unlock it in order for me to play it.

Anyway around this?, I was thinking of disconnecting my wireless and setting steam to offline mode, surely they have to make PC games so the 1% of pc gamers in the world without an internet connection can play the game after buying the box version.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

This game is truly amazing. However, there was one thing I didnt like.

Awesome Dude, why is the game all You dont need to shoot! you can talk or stealth or hack! but at the end of the leak Barrett is only killable by brute force, so a hacking+social character like me had a bit of trouble taking him out with only a 10mm. Seems to break the whole YOU CAN DO ALL 4 that the game goes for

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
welp guess I should spoiler this btw Throw barrels at him. sure is a lot of text in here!!!

*edit* I give nothing away, I ain't no charity!!

*edit 2* Ok I gave it away.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 18, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HyperHopper posted:

Awesome Dude, why is the game all You dont need to shoot! you can talk or stealth or hack! but at the end of the leak Barrett is only killable by brute force, so a hacking+social character like me had a bit of trouble taking him out with only a 10mm. Seems to break the whole YOU CAN DO ALL 4 that the game goes for

You missed something. :) But it's not exactly obvious or stands out.

[edit]
Or just do what Cinroth said, who gave it away. I wanted to make you think. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squeenix probably required there to be "real" boss fights or something.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Squeenix probably required there to be "real" boss fights or something.

This just in: at the end of DXHR you kill God.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

HyperHopper posted:

There is a 2 part answer to this. The first part is the spoilered solution that others have posted. The second part is that the devs said "gently caress that poo poo, it's important to the story and satisfying, suck it up".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Al! posted:

and sleep with his wife and raise their children as your own.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Really? I thought it was a stupid fight with no indication of progression in the battle and just boring rear end circle strafing. It wasn't satisfying at all especially since you never see him except for the trailers and maybe 2 instances before then with no buildup. He's literally just a roadblock, who cares.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Al! posted:

:smug: No, that's at the end of Deus Ex.

I have to agree, it's too bad they put in forced boss battles. There really should be ways to avoid them, that are inherently more difficult than the fight itself. Especially since that's one of the criticisms of the game so far is lackluster boss battles.

But then again, since 2003 boss battles have been pretty lackluster.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

AxeManiac posted:

and sleep with his wife and raise their children as your own.

No, that was the ending to Pearl Harbor.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually my computer stutters quite a bit with Portal 2 (lags a bit when doors open) and if that's a problem figured "Man how the hell is it supposed to handle Deus Ex", hell earlier in the thread asked if my specs were any good and no one said anything so went the better safe then sorry route v:shobon:v

Yeah, I'd kind of like to have it for PC but 1) don't feel like booting into Windows on my Mac, and 2) don't actually own Windows, so that'd cost me more money and 3) I get nervous when my computer's fan goes on. I think I'll eventually get it for PC, though, when it's way cheaper. I also like the PS3 box the most.

I finally preordered the Augmented Edition yesterday from Gamestop. The employees were very nice, but one claimed DX:IW was not made by the same people who made the first. I'm pretty sure that's wrong so I hit him as hard as I could. I was so excited, though. I had like a rush of endorphins or something. I didn't realize that I was still as hyped for this game until I went to get my PowerUp Rewards card, and then even moreso when I did the preorder. I'm actually bummed it's gonna be out so soon. This is the best part of waiting, the lead up.

I'm so pumped.

19orFewer posted:

Not sure on the XBox but I played the PS3 version at Gamescom yesterday and I'll be avoiding that like some vile plague.

The control granularity was such that I could target to the left of an enemy's head or the right but even tiny stick nudges would just flip between the two. So an enemy in many places was impossible to hit from a stationary position (using cover etc) Using the PC version it felt like a properly designed game by comparison.
:ohdear:

Local Group Bus posted:

I was kind of disappointed by the (fictional) advertising in the leak. When they talked about all the different fake brands they created, I was like "alright, gonna be hella immersive" but then I saw a brand that was basically just a parody of a real beer company which made the game look low budget instead. I'd rather just see a real ad since a parody accomplishes the same thing while looking cornier.

HyperHopper posted:

Barrett is only killable by brute force, so a hacking+social character like me had a bit of trouble taking him out with only a 10mm.
I'm dreading doing that fight with a gamepad.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There is a way to defeating Barrett that doesn't require bullets, and it really is The Best Way™. :ssh:

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There is a way to defeating Barrett that doesn't require bullets, and it really is The Best Way™. :ssh:

Throwing a fridge or dumpster at him? (would be awesome)

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Trying to make out with him until he calls you a goddamned queer and walks away?

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm starting to wonder if I should quickly replace my 360 pre-order with the PS3 version. I have both consoles and just can't decide. :(

edit: Ugh, I prefer the 360's controller so I guess I'll just do that even though I hate the stupid green box.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

To defeat the Barrett, shoot at him until he dies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm still confused.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because this is a game with choice you can also not shoot at him until he dies.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

Cinroth posted:

welp guess I should spoiler this btw Throw barrels at him. sure is a lot of text in here!!!

*edit* I give nothing away, I ain't no charity!!

*edit 2* Ok I gave it away.

I did beat him, but they shouldnt make the fight so heavy on combat, when some people dont have any weapons, and having to use barrels is a large handicap.

EDIT: having a solution to skip the boss battle via a means that is harder than the fight itself and more fun should have been put in there. (Almost like how killphrases in deus ex let stealthers bypass boss fights... who would have thought.

HyperHopper fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 18, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cynic Jester posted:

Can I choose to have him shoot me until I die?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Well technically you don't kill him because he kills himself.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Al! posted:

This one took too long.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You forgot to make the fridge have one wing. :)

(Thanks for the new desktop background.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tecman posted:

This one took too long.

Wow, God's beam of heavenly death is no match for those cardboard boxes. Yay for video games!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

19orFewer posted:

The control granularity was such that I could target to the left of an enemy's head or the right but even tiny stick nudges would just flip between the two. So an enemy in many places was impossible to hit from a stationary position (using cover etc) Using the PC version it felt like a properly designed game by comparison.

This is basically why console FPS games have to use auto assist. You'll find the same problem in any console FPS.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Al! posted:

The Man Who Was Thrusday posted:

"First of all, what is it really all about? What is it you object to? You want to abolish Government?"

"To abolish God!" said Gregory, opening the eyes of a fanatic. "We do not only want to upset a few despotisms and police regulations; that sort of anarchism does exist, but it is a mere branch of the Nonconformists. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of vice and virtue, honour and treachery, upon which mere rebels base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the French Revolution talked of the Rights of Man! We hate Rights as we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong."

"And Right and Left," said Syme with a simple eagerness, "I hope you will abolish them too. They are much more troublesome to me."

If the novels in the new game are as good as in the original (both real and fictional), I will be a happy camper.

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004

Vertigus posted:

This is basically why console FPS games have to use auto assist. You'll find the same problem in any console FPS.

Everyone I see play CoD on a console strafes to get their headshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

HyperHopper posted:

I did beat him, but they shouldnt make the fight so heavy on combat, when some people dont have any weapons, and having to use barrels is a large handicap.

EDIT: having a solution to skip the boss battle via a means that is harder than the fight itself and more fun should have been put in there. (Almost like how killphrases in deus ex let stealthers bypass boss fights... who would have thought.

Wait, using barrels is a large handicap? You're joking right? It is way easier to throw 3-4 barrels at him than wasting every bullet you have on his face.

• Locked thread