Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Cheex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I was at the opening show of CWI's East Coast Invasion tour last night, and they have poo poo like X-Pac, Billy Gunn, and Road Dogg using their WWE names, and coming out to their WWE music. How do they get away with this? Are they just small enough to fall under the radar? Does WWE just not care if it's not on TV?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think it's just a case of no one knowing about it. I remember reading about a very small indy show that had paid to bring in Harvey Wippleman once. The promotion was using WWE music themes, so Harvey took the money for the appearance, then promptly ratted them out to WWE.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This wasn't that small a show, though. They are touring all across Canada, and sold out an arena with 1,600 in attendence last night. The Nasty Boys, Brutus Beefcake, Bushwacker Luke, Tatanka, Scott Steiner, X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws all came out to their WWE themes. Like the local media outlets here have been promoting the show for months, and Hulk Hogan is on the next leg of the tour. Kevin Nash pulled from the tour to work for WWE. There's no way WWE doesn't know this is happening. If they don't they're stupid.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 19, 2011

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Worst wrestler?

Nathan Jones - Here was a dude who had a great look, natural charisma and a great background story (he spent 10 years in jail for armed robbery, where he took up powerlifting and started entering world strongest man competitions.) Unfortunately, he was the drizzling shits in the ring and apparently had no real interest in the business. His first angle when he came in was with the Undertaker, as his disciple. He apparently was so bad in the ring that his big tag match for...I think it was Wrestlemania...had him not participate in it, as Big Show and A Train jumped him backstage. Oh, and apparently he was lactating out of one of his nipples. (:psyduck:) He was Australian and his nickname was awesome: The Colossus of Boggo Road. Had he shown any interest he probably could've been a decent midcard guy.

Phantasio - Back in the 'everyone has a job' gimmick days of mid 90s WWF. He was a magician who used flash paper and not much else. His finishing move was pulling his opponents underwear out of their tights and then getting a rollup for the win. I think he only had like 1-2 matches.

Greg Gagne - Son of Verne. Was being groomed to become heavyweight champion until it was realized he...wasn't very good. So instead of having his son hone his craft off camera or perhaps move him into another area, Verne created the TV Title just for him. Had a ridiculously bad dropkick and is probably the most decorated 'worst wrestler' (ignoring guys like Hogan, who weren't good technical wrestlers, managed to draw.)

Tiger Ali Singh - Can't remember much of him. His gimmick was a Million Dollar Man knockoff, including his own manservant, Babu. Dude had ridiculous delusions of grandeur and was pretty lovely in the ring. I think he blamed racism as one of the reasons why he didn't succeed in the WWF. Retired after having a match in the rain and then filed a $7M lawsuit against WWF, claiming religious and ethnic discrimination.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This wasn't that small a show, though. They are touring all across Canada, and sold out an arena with 1,600 in attendence last night. [...]There's no way WWE doesn't know this is happening. If they don't they're stupid.
Well they asked McDevitt to write a formal cease-and-desist but he hasn't gotten to it with his usual quickness. It winds up someone made eye-contact with him in the street, and he's just been relentlessly beating the man with his shoe for... must be a few days now. The man's dead now, obviously, but McDevitt periodically yells out "Not a goddamn piece of this man will be left, not even his loving TEETH" while he wails on the prone body.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perdido posted:

Greg Gagne - Son of Verne. Was being groomed to become heavyweight champion until it was realized he...wasn't very good. So instead of having his son hone his craft off camera or perhaps move him into another area, Verne created the TV Title just for him. Had a ridiculously bad dropkick and is probably the most decorated 'worst wrestler' (ignoring guys like Hogan, who weren't good technical wrestlers, managed to draw.)

Greg wasn't a bad wrestler, he just got a main event push from his dad and never had the charisma or size to justify it. Besides, Erik Watts' dropkick was much, much worse.

Actually, poo poo, Erik Watts is a good contender for worst wrestler ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Perdido posted:

Worst wrestler?

Nathan Jones - Here was a dude who had a great look, natural charisma and a great background story (he spent 10 years in jail for armed robbery, where he took up powerlifting and started entering world strongest man competitions.) Unfortunately, he was the drizzling shits in the ring and apparently had no real interest in the business. His first angle when he came in was with the Undertaker, as his disciple. He apparently was so bad in the ring that his big tag match for...I think it was Wrestlemania...had him not participate in it, as Big Show and A Train jumped him backstage. Oh, and apparently he was lactating out of one of his nipples. (:psyduck:) He was Australian and his nickname was awesome: The Colossus of Boggo Road. Had he shown any interest he probably could've been a decent midcard guy.

Jones' big match was Mania, he was supposed to tag with BikerTaker against those two, but it became an impromptu handicap match with a Jones run-in because they knew he sucked so much.

Gagne wasn't the worst ever, though, he was just below average. He's not even the worst 'child of a legend' ever. That's either Lacey Von Erich or one of the Flairs.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 19, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
David's whole gimmeck was how he was a horrible wrestler and only there due to who his father was. Reid apparently was a good amateur but now likes black tar heroin.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
My favorite Nathan Jones story is that when he decided to quit he didn't tell anyone. He waited until WWE's tour of Australia, flew with everyone, worked, then just didn't fly back to the US. Then he gave notice.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
wow I haven't thought about Erik Watts in probably years. He was actually the first guy I ever saw do the STF. I googled him and just now realized he was one half of Tekno Team 2000 in mid 90s WWF, whose gimmick was that they were kind of futuristic because they wore shiny shirts to the ring.

Was there a different team that was supposedly FROM the future?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Monkeycheese posted:

wow I haven't thought about Erik Watts in probably years. He was actually the first guy I ever saw do the STF. I googled him and just now realized he was one half of Tekno Team 2000 in mid 90s WWF, whose gimmick was that they were kind of futuristic because they wore shiny shirts to the ring.

Was there a different team that was supposedly FROM the future?

There was in WCW. I remember them because they kept calling Dusty Rhodes "President Rhodes".

e:http://webhome.idirect.com/~xds/WCWgoofy2.html This has all sorts of awesome poo poo. The team was called the New Breed.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Jones' big match was Mania, he was supposed to tag with BikerTaker against those two, but it became an impromptu handicap match with a Jones run-in because they knew he sucked so much.

Jones was so bad that he basically put this Taker tag match into the opening match of the show.

I saw Jones at the fan axxess the day before and remarked to a friend that he'd be gone in a week.

Perdido posted:

Tiger Ali Singh - Can't remember much of him. His gimmick was a Million Dollar Man knockoff, including his own manservant, Babu. Dude had ridiculous delusions of grandeur and was pretty lovely in the ring. I think he blamed racism as one of the reasons why he didn't succeed in the WWF. Retired after having a match in the rain and then filed a $7M lawsuit against WWF, claiming religious and ethnic discrimination.

Singh’s failure was even more pronounced because the class he came out of with the WWF[E] at the time was one of their best ever in the developmental system. I’m trying to remember the entire list but Edge, Christian and Val Venis were on that roster.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Semiru posted:

I can't believe vs Fake Kane isn't on that list for Worst Feud.

It didn't last long enough. I remember arguing the Edge feud wasn't the worst feud but it was definitely poo poo.

Also Cornette swears that the worst wrestler is Linda Miles and cut one of her matches off of OVW because it was the worst match he'd ever seen.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Edge feud was OK, except the face was pretending to murder the heel's father, and the payoff was the heel murdered his own father. Otherwise good stuff!

Oh except the ringwork

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The Edge feud was OK, except the face was pretending to murder the heel's father, and the payoff was the heel murdered his own father. Otherwise good stuff!

Oh except the ringwork
So it was OK, except for the story and the wrestling?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kane and Edge's feud was entertaining as hell.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Gaz-L posted:

So it was OK, except for the story and the wrestling?

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Kane and Edge's feud was entertaining as hell.

All of this is somehow true. Kane defies all logic.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DannoMack posted:

All of this is somehow true. Kane defies all logic.

Well, yeah. I mean, he voted for Ron Paul, didn't he?

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gaz-L posted:

Gagne wasn't the worst ever, though, he was just below average. He's not even the worst 'child of a legend' ever. That's either Lacey Von Erich or one of the Flairs.

What about David Sammartino?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Tom Magee is probably the worst wrestler ever to get a serious opportunity.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gaz-L posted:

Gagne wasn't the worst ever, though, he was just below average. He's not even the worst 'child of a legend' ever

Didn't he have a decent run in the 80's as part of a tag team in the WWE?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BigRed0427 posted:

Didn't he have a decent run in the 80's as part of a tag team in the WWE?

You're thinking of Jim Brunzell (one half of the WWF's Killer Bees), who was partners with Gagne (as The High Flyers) in the AWA. But yeah, the High Flyers has some greats matches, especially against The East-West Connection.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

jeffersonlives posted:

Tom Magee is probably the worst wrestler ever to get a serious opportunity.

He did probably have the worst puro match I have ever seen, by far.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He did probably have the worst puro match I have ever seen, by far.

hmm... I'd argue that Inoki versus The Great Antonio is worse, although it does include on the the greatest asskickings seen in the sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lamuella posted:

hmm... I'd argue that Inoki versus The Great Antonio is worse, although it does include on the the greatest asskickings seen in the sport:

Yeah, at least there was something real about the Inoki match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think we can at least agree that while Tom Magee was probably a worse wrestler, he was probably a smarter human than The Great Antonio. Simply by virtue of the fact that at no point in his dreadful match did he attempt to shoot on Antonio Inoki.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I met The Great Antonio in person often when I was a child. When he was homeless :smith:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

When did people start doing "run-ins"? I'm not talking about managerial interference, but a wrestler running in from the back to assist/disqualify.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

When did people start doing "run-ins"? I'm not talking about managerial interference, but a wrestler running in from the back to assist/disqualify.

Not sure, but before the 80s. Bruiser Brody wanted to do a shoot run-in from the crowd and attack Hulk Hogan at the first Wrestlemania. He figured Vince would be embarrassed and forced to pay Brody a ton of money to work for him and job to Hogan.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lamuella posted:

hmm... I'd argue that Inoki versus The Great Antonio is worse, although it does include on the the greatest asskickings seen in the sport
Yes, that was a bad one...

Speaking of great asskickings, Dirtbike Kid paid the price for pissing off Great Sasuke once...ONCE.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Psychlone posted:

What about David Sammartino?

David was really short (like, Rey short) and average but he definitely wasn't the worst of the kids. That would probably goto David Flair. He couldn't do anything particularly well. He couldn't even run the ropes properly when he first started his angle where Ric Flair was getting prelim guys to take the fall against him. Which, by the way, gently caress Ric Flair for ever putting David in such a ridiculous position to fail. He had an alright run with Crowbar and Daffney but to put him in the ring when he couldn't even run the ropes properly was a travesty.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lamuella posted:

I have a wrestling question, why aren't all referees exactly like this referee?

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
What would you call a valet in lucha libre/Spanish? Would it just be valet? Or do they have their own term for it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I have a wrestling question, why aren't all referees exactly like this referee?

listen, not everyone can carry off white flared jeans and zebra stripes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Of all the people to no-sell and then shoot..Antonio loving Inoki.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Of all the people to no-sell and then shoot..Antonio loving Inoki.

Well Great Antonio was apparently a mentally handicapped person.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Well Great Antonio was apparently a mentally handicapped person.

He most certainly was after the match

bartok
May 10, 2006

So were there any non mentally handicapped wrestlers who got a deserved rear end kicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Chunky Delight posted:

So were there any non mentally handicapped wrestlers who got a deserved rear end kicking?

I can't find any videos, but The Dirtbike Kid is a lovely english wrestler who frequently went into business for himself, doing unplanned high spots without even so much as whispering them to his opponent.

In one match, his opponent got so pissed off with his antics, that he waited until Dirtbike Kid went to the top rope, for some completely unplanned twisty flippy poo poo to the outside of the ring, and instead of trying to catch him, completely ignored the spot, and crawled back into the ring as planned, watching Dirtbike Kid fall to the concrete, and legit injuring himself to the point that he was rushed to hospital.

In 1:50 in this video, Dirtbike tries the same poo poo on The Great Sasuke. Sasuke was already hugely pissed off at the guy, who had been invited to a prestigious "masked wrestlers" tournament, where the finalists would wager their most prized possession (their masks), for the chance to be crowned the grand champion.

Dirtbike kid was booked to job to The Great Sasuke in the opening round, and threw a hissy fit. After his entrance, he unmasked himself in the middle of the ring, completely making GBS threads on the whole concept of the tournament, in the opening match. Dirtbike Kid was told that Sasuke's first spin-kick would be the finisher, but even though Sasuke is shooting on him, he no-sells it, and the referee stops the match to try and avoid Sasuke literally killing the guy.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 22, 2011