Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was at this place.

It was night. I hear that's not advisable for tourist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think Biomod works pretty much perfectly. The skill point bonus for kills WAS cool, but you get so many skillpoints in the base game that it was frankly overkill.

I imagine that for someone skilled in mod making that it would not be too difficult to add the skill point bonus to Biomod, since Biomod is directly built off Shifter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
HEY GUYS

:siren: Games + Square Enix are running a Deus Ex: Human Revolution contest where you can win a free copy of the game + merch! :siren:

Might want to check that out!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 18, 2011

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

After all these years I finally found a way out of the siege ring in Battery Park after the shootout at 'Ton and I was massively dissappointed that even though Jock and his trusty Black Helicopter are present, there wasn't even a chance to interact with him. The Black Helicopter just sits there, merrily chopping away and doesn't react to anything. Time to turn myself over to Gunther - Jock seems to have a phone call or something else so important going on in that cockpit of his that he can't pause it for a few minutes to get me the hell away from the UNATCO troops waiting to butcher my rear end.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
cross posting

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Hey guys sorry if this has been asked but I searced through the first handful of pages and saw no mention of it and, well, this thread is huge.

I have a friend who isn't much of a gamer who just recently picked up a PS2, and we were at the local used bookstore looking for games to pick up and I saw the PS2 Deus Ex port. He's never played it so I suggested it as something he might want to check out but I wasn't sure what the deal with the PS2 port was so I told him to wait on it (he got SotC and BG&E to keep him busy anyway :v: )

Is Deus Ex worth playing on a PS2? Playing it on PC isn't an option in this case.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
DX can be played on any lovely computer you can find.

The PS2 version is heavily gimped compared to the PC version, and I would not recommend it to anyone. Especially now with the awesome mods available on PC to streamline gameplay, graphics, and of course extra poo poo.

e: but if you really really don't have the option for the PC, go for it. It's still a great game, the PC version is just miles better.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 19, 2011

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Does he have a computer made in the last 10 years? If your answer is yes, he can play Deus Ex on PC.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I was at this place.

It was night. I hear that's not advisable for tourist.

Haaaaaaa, me too. I was on the bus last night, crossed over Canal Road on the way out of Wan Chai and had the same thought.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wan Chai is fun. Strange though, the New York sections are quite accurate--Battery Park is spot on and the city block could be anywhere--but Deus Ex Wan Chai isn't even remotely like the actual place. What a shame.

I hear the Old China Hand is real though, I haven't found it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 19, 2011

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Wan Chai is fun. Strange though, the New York sections are quite accurate--Battery Park is spot on and the city block could be anywhere--but Deus Ex Wan Chai isn't even remotely like the actual place. What a shame.

I hear the Old China Hand is real though, I haven't found it.

Good for drinking and getting your visa at government office. Not much else. The only way it's accurate is because of all the clubs.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Cross posting from the DXHR contest:

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
I've been trying to play the nameless mod which I had avoided until this month, and I can tell that I was correct in avoiding it. Holy poo poo, I want to punch every single character right in the face; it's like the game is just one big in-joke and I don't give enough of a gently caress to pretend I'm in on it.

This is the result of seven years of work? This won awards?! What the hell is wrong with humanity?!?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

RichieWolk posted:

I've been trying to play the nameless mod which I had avoided until this month, and I can tell that I was correct in avoiding it. Holy poo poo, I want to punch every single character right in the face; it's like the game is just one big in-joke and I don't give enough of a gently caress to pretend I'm in on it.

This is the result of seven years of work? This won awards?! What the hell is wrong with humanity?!?

It supposedly gets better but I could never get far enough before losing steam.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

RichieWolk posted:

All the stupid poo poo is front-loaded, annoyingly. It gets better, well the gameplay does. It's a shame, I really like the concept, but they wrapped it up in stupid forum in-jokes and internet meme poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RichieWolk posted:

Force yourself to play a little bit longer. Once the missions start up, it gets better.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
After you get the metropass and move on, it becomes really drat awesome and really goddamn big. And you can just ignore the plot entirely, seriously. Just imagine the Llama cult are the Illuminati and wield nanosword instead of sporks or whatever and you're golden.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
It's just kind of hard to take anybody seriously when the first guy says something like "guards are bored so they're gonna shoot you LOLOL". It just makes killing everybody stupid that much easier when I don't have to worry about guards changing how they feel about me. :argh:

Oh well, I'll keep going because I've heard multiple people say it gets better soon.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

KillHour posted:

Force yourself to play a little bit longer. Once the missions start up, it gets better.

A fitting thing to say about this awful mod (it doesn't).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As a heads up, I'm probably going to close this thread the week of DX:HR just because I feel like it. It'll reopen after that but still.

Get your questions in while you can.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

What a shame.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Deus Ex: GREATEST game of all time or greatest game of ALL TIME?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't play the Nameless Mod because I got stuck on the part where you have to hack the server or something. I tried looking everywhere in the building but I just couldn't find it, I even tried noclipping through everything. I just didn't feel it was worth playing.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

XausF1 posted:

It's not my favourite, but I do legitimitely consider it the best game ever made.

Human Revolution has some hefty shoes to fill.

Momomo posted:

I can't play the Nameless Mod because I got stuck on the part where you have to hack the server or something. I tried looking everywhere in the building but I just couldn't find it, I even tried noclipping through everything. I just didn't feel it was worth playing.

I remember that wasn't too difficult to work out because of the maps they provide you with, but I seemed to find too many doors for which the only entrance was multitools, which was stupid. I don't know if I was missing something.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Momomo posted:

Take the elevator to the 3rd floor and multitool the retina scanner to get in, then look around a bit. There should be a key to the room it's in.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^Which level are you guys talking about? Honestly, I didn't warm up to it (gameplay-wise) until rather late in the PDX game. Anyway, they have a wiki with an okay walkthrough.

As far as closing the thread for the week, that's probably a good idea. While someone will probably want to install the original at the last minute, the OP isn't terrible, and having two threads hasn't stopped people posting for help in the other one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

XausF1 posted:

It's in my top 10 (along with things like Freespace 2, Fallout 1/2 (depending on mood), Half Life, Thief 2, you know the usual "1998-2000 was a golden age" stuff)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone know how big Deus Ex's budget was and how that compares to other games of the time? I know there's a lot of cut content toward the end, they built it on the Unreal engine instead of designing their own (but I think this is pretty common in game development anyway), and some of the texturing and voice acting seems pretty budget.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JC Tenton, in the flesh. As dark and hungry as his brother.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really hope the devs include a reference to Tenton. I know how unlikely it is but come on, they like him, we like him, everyone likes the fat, hungry bastard.

Zorak posted:

As a heads up, I'm probably going to close this thread the week of DX:HR just because I feel like it. It'll reopen after that but still.

Get your questions in while you can.

What a great reason! I've never heard such sound logic!

(But really though thanks because it'll probably be full of spoiler-spamming gimmick accounts or 'i never asked for this' release day jokes otherwise, i realize this is not the HR thread but it'll still happen)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 21, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is JC Tenton even a thing beyond the SA forums?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Given the way the devs have been with the community, I fully expect an orange v lemon lime, what a shame, and Tenton joke in the game somewhere.

Brannock posted:

Is JC Tenton even a thing beyond the SA forums?

I don't think so, but the HR PR guy made a Tenton joke on the Facebook page and linked to the dialing wand video when there were 20 "It's spelled Denton" posts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grand Fromage posted:

JC Tenton, in the flesh. As dark and hungry as his brother.

Didn't they have anyone around to say "hey not saying L is a Japanese stereotype not a Chinese stereotype" when they were making Deus Ex?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't they have anyone around to say "hey not saying L is a Japanese stereotype not a Chinese stereotype" when they were making Deus Ex?

Actually, having lived in China for 2 years I can confirm that it's the case among ESL people there as well. When boggled my mind is that I met a few people who switched 'l' and 'r' around with almost perfect consistency. :psyduck:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Breetai posted:

Actually, having lived in China for 2 years I can confirm that it's the case among ESL people there as well. When boggled my mind is that I met a few people who switched 'l' and 'r' around with almost perfect consistency. :psyduck:

L and R are the same letter in Korean, too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, but we only have one tone.

I wonder what a stereotypical American accent sounds like in Chinese pop culture?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wonder that too. To most of the Europeans I've asked, they just do a whole lot of really strong Rs. Was not at all what I expected.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Grand Fromage posted:

Given the way the devs have been with the community, I fully expect an orange v lemon lime, what a shame, and Tenton joke in the game somewhere.

I don't think so, but the HR PR guy made a Tenton joke on the Facebook page and linked to the dialing wand video when there were 20 "It's spelled Denton" posts.

Do you have a link to this?

E: It wouldn't be the first SA reference in a AAA game. Johnny Fiveaces shows up in New Vegas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pope Guilty posted:

Do you have a link to this?

E: It wouldn't be the first SA reference in a AAA game. Johnny Fiveaces shows up in New Vegas.

"Goons messed up the town something awful" is in GBA Final Fantasy VI. They have the inevitable conversation about RoboCop. All that's left is for Jenson to slide his shades on while telling someone to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Eidos-Montreal devs apparently have read our DX:HR thread quite a lot, and at least two of them post in it.

CJacobs posted:

(But really though thanks because it'll probably be full of spoiler-spamming gimmick accounts or 'i never asked for this' release day jokes otherwise, i realize this is not the HR thread but it'll still happen)

That's pretty much the reason, or more aptly, because discussion is going to cross over inevitably and that's rather unnecessary at the moment.