Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The only terrible Stargate movie was The Ark of Truth because Ori are dumb, Adria can't emote and replicator zombies.

Ark of Truth also had one of the most cliche and :rolleyes: lines a scifi show can have. I've talked about it before, so I shall spare y'all the rant. The line however is "WE BELIEVE IN SCIENCE, THEREFORE..."

The Dark One posted:

You may have all of the original JetsGuy's memories, but you replicators will never capture a person's inner humanity. :colbert:

*face turns from hapiness to evil JetsGuy mode*

then die.

*replicators come out from everywhere, evil tuba music*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

JetsGuy posted:

Ark of Truth also had one of the most cliche and :rolleyes: lines a scifi show can have. I've talked about it before, so I shall spare y'all the rant. The line however is "WE BELIEVE IN SCIENCE, THEREFORE..."

That reminds me of the one science fiction book that made me really angry. A faithless ex-monk is tapped by the CIA to investigate a remote particle accelerator that has gone into radio silence, possibly after finding some earth-shattering discovery. The rumour is that they haven't found the god particle, they've found the actual god. The whole thing turns out to be a scam set up by the director- the staff, have been carefully chosen to fit a personality type that would crave some greater truth that wouldn't conflict with the scientific method they'd hold so dear. He fakes the particle detectors' results to make it looks like there's some profound godlike intelligence trying to talk to them. It's all part of a scheme to set up a new pro-science religion for people to put their unquestioning faith in (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:). Then, at the climax of the novel, when our intrepid ex-monk has had all the facts laid bare, a pack of crusading christians who have stormed the complex burn him alive at the stake.

Every character is retarded. The televangelist who sets the whole mess off is a lecherous old guy swathed in makeup and is only out to scam the public. The preacher who leads the charge has been recently dumped by his wife and accidentally killed his alcoholic native american labourer in a rage moments before hearing the televangelist guy's rant. The scientists are all gullible, depressed idiots who don't even seem to have a reason to be in a cult already, except for the director who who's some sort of super-genius, able to anticipate almost any turn of events, using his own lynching to further cement his new religion that the masses apparently need because they can't possibly learn to apply rationalism and skepticism to their inner beliefs.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

They claim they are going to make sequels to the original Stargate movie that have nothing to do with the series.

Emmerich and Devlin have been talking about this kind of thing literally since the series started. In fact, Stargate was supposed to be a trilogy, and in the DVD commentary for the movie they talk some about what they had planned for the later films, but they got distracted by making Independence Day and the plans for the later Stargate movies collapsed. They even approved a line of tie-in novels based solely on the movie and completely contrary to the show that was still being published into SG-1's 4th or 5th season.

Anyway, with how long it's been without even a word of success, I'd be surprised if they could get it off the ground now. Even with the TV franchise being dead. But I guess they've got a better chance now than ever.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Idran posted:

Emmerich and Devlin have been talking about this kind of thing literally since the series started. In fact, Stargate was supposed to be a trilogy, and in the DVD commentary for the movie they talk some about what they had planned for the later films, but they got distracted by making Independence Day and the plans for the later Stargate movies collapsed. They even approved a line of tie-in novels based solely on the movie and completely contrary to the show that was still being published into SG-1's 4th or 5th season.

Anyway, with how long it's been without even a word of success, I'd be surprised if they could get it off the ground now. Even with the TV franchise being dead. But I guess they've got a better chance now than ever.

They talked about it EVEN MORE when SG-1 ended. They were all like "OH MAN, WE WON'T EVEN HAVE TO AGE THE ACTORS SINCE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 10 YEARS LATER"

:rolleyes:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They're never ever going to get anyone to bankroll that movie so it's not really worth worrying about. The way they manage to be so bitter about it after close to 20 years is pretty amazing though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

They're never ever going to get anyone to bankroll that movie so it's not really worth worrying about. The way they manage to be so bitter about it after close to 20 years is pretty amazing though.

You just made me feel so god damned old you bastard.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

You just made me feel so god damned old you bastard.

Holy crap. He's right. Three more years is it to reach 20 years? Good god!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hemish posted:

Holy crap. He's right. Three more years is it to reach 20 years? Good god!

I saw it in the theater!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I saw it in the theater!

Me too. I was 13!

I'm slowly rewatching SG-1 and I just started season 4. I love some of Teal'c answers sometimes.

Jack : WHat do you think about X fella?
T : That he is concealing something.
Jack : Like what?
T : I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Jack then stops dead in his track.

Or his line about things calming up in the early seasons.

I love Teal'c.

Indeed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

I saw it in the theater!

Me too.

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Me too.

Old Goons Represent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I remember the Stargate action figures. Death Gliders were never so sweet as then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Re-watched the original movie recently and noticed some odd things.

French Stewart played a tough soldier

It had a really odd prominent advertising for 5th Avenue bars. I went out looking for this candy the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. I want some :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IRQ posted:

Me too.

Not only do I remember seeing in the theater, I remember renting it as soon as it came out. My brother and I would lie on our backs in the living room and pretend were were going through the wormholes. :3:

(I would have been 9, and he'd have been 6)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hemish posted:

Me too. I was 13!

I'm slowly rewatching SG-1 and I just started season 4. I love some of Teal'c answers sometimes.

Jack : WHat do you think about X fella?
T : That he is concealing something.
Jack : Like what?
T : I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Jack then stops dead in his track.

Or his line about things calming up in the early seasons.

I love Teal'c.

Indeed.

What is an Oprah?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I was 16 when the movie came out. Just old enough to really love it and the whole concept and then have no time at all to watch SG1 since I was in university when the series started.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

It had a really odd prominent advertising for 5th Avenue bars. I went out looking for this candy the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. I want some :(

They were a lot like Butterfinger bars but with way more peanuttyness and less sweetness. But very very similar.

They do still make Butterfinger right? God this thread is making me feel old right now.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I've spent the last several years having Stargate SG-1 forced upon me, my brothers are huge fans and tend to have it on at dinnertimes. Probably because of having no choice in the matter, I've also spent the last several years loving hating it and taking every opportunity to state on the record how much I dislike it.

Couple of weeks ago I realised how loving retarded I am.

I got really into an episode and realised it was actually awesome and fun and what the hell have I been thinking all these years :saddowns: It was the one where SG-1 get bracelets that make them superhuman and they go for steak and start fights and gently caress up Apophis's new ship. And it was great! So now, suddenly, after years of half-watching the first twenty minutes of every episode and then leaving, it's like I have the whole world at my feet :stare:

Starting from the beginning, watched Children of the Gods last night. This is gonna be awesome.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

eating only apples posted:

I've spent the last several years having Stargate SG-1 forced upon me, my brothers are huge fans and tend to have it on at dinnertimes. Probably because of having no choice in the matter, I've also spent the last several years loving hating it and taking every opportunity to state on the record how much I dislike it.

Couple of weeks ago I realised how loving retarded I am.

I got really into an episode and realised it was actually awesome and fun and what the hell have I been thinking all these years :saddowns: It was the one where SG-1 get bracelets that make them superhuman and they go for steak and start fights and gently caress up Apophis's new ship. And it was great! So now, suddenly, after years of half-watching the first twenty minutes of every episode and then leaving, it's like I have the whole world at my feet :stare:

Starting from the beginning, watched Children of the Gods last night. This is gonna be awesome.

Welcome aboard!

Also, you sure your love for Upgrades didn't have something to do with Anise?? :v:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JetsGuy posted:

Welcome aboard!

Also, you sure your love for Upgrades didn't have something to do with Anise?? :v:

Honestly I'm pretty sure my newfound love for SG-1 in general has a lot to do with my crush on Daniel Jackson. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mu Zeta posted:

Ba'nii whey!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Honestly I'm pretty sure my newfound love for SG-1 in general has a lot to do with my crush on Daniel Jackson. :v:

My apologies ma'am, I just assumed! :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JetsGuy posted:

My apologies ma'am, I just assumed! :)

Everyone is male here unless it's specifically stated otherwise, don't worry :v:

I just watched Wormhole X-Treme! and it was totally daft, but I liked it. Any episode they bring Murray out is a good episode. I saw the other episode with Marty a while ago, love that guy :3:

Now I have to keep two timelines straight since I'm simultaneously at the start of season 1 and halfway through season 5... got some catching up to do. (Sky2 here shows two episodes a night on weekdays and have done for years, it's like their version of Friends.)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

I envy you so much.

Once a year or so I do a watch through (and I have to force myself not to skip one or two particular episodes (cough Emancipation cough Urgo cough).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Emancipation owns, what is wrong with you people?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Everyone is male here unless it's specifically stated otherwise, don't worry :v:

:hfive:

I just watched Wormhole X-Treme! and it was totally daft, but I liked it. Any episode they bring Murray out is a good episode. I saw the other episode with Marty a while ago, love that guy :3:

:smug: As a matter of fact, it DOES say colonel on my uniform!!! :smug:

Hey, hey guys?? I just noticed... It actually DOESN'T say colonel ANYWHERE on my uniform. Guys???!?

Now I have to keep two timelines straight since I'm simultaneously at the start of season 1 and halfway through season 5... got some catching up to do. (Sky2 here shows two episodes a night on weekdays and have done for years, it's like their version of Friends.)

Netflix. DO ITTTTTTTT.

Effingham posted:

I envy you so much.

Once a year or so I do a watch through (and I have to force myself not to skip one or two particular episodes (cough Emancipation cough Urgo cough).

:mad: You shut your goddamned mouth, Urgo was an awesome episode. :mad:

Drinkin' a pot of steaming hot coffee in dis thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Urgo has Don Deluise therefore it is awesome.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Ba'nii whey!

:lol:

One of my favorite lines from the movie, and one delivered with such sincerity. :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Effingham posted:

I envy you so much.

No, don't say that! Emancipation is up next! My perception is tainted now. I'm gonna enjoy it just to spite you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

No, don't say that! Emancipation is up next! My perception is tainted now. I'm gonna enjoy it just to spite you.

No you will not. The writer of that episode also wrote the Space African episode of Star Trek TNG.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
^^^^ To be fair, didn't the writer not write it for them to be Africans? It was just cast that way?

:ssh:

No one tell her that we're not joking about it being the worst episode in the series. Well, maybe second to Holiday, but...

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 22, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
:gonk:

Okay I'm going to watch it right now. Back in 45 minutes with my first-timer verdict... wish me luck, I guess?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JetsGuy posted:

:ssh:

No one tell her that we're not joking about it being the worst episode in the series. Well, maybe second to Holiday, but...

Teyla singing. Ori. Replicarter.

Emancipation is good.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

Netflix. DO ITTTTTTTT.

Netflix only exists in the USA and Canada right now, and the Canadian version is pretty lacking when compared to the American. Wanna know which SG series we have on Netflix Canada, according to their website? Stargate Infinity. That's it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The rest of Critical Mass was good with Cadwell, however those 5 minutes where horrible.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

^^^^ To be fair, didn't the writer not write it for them to be Africans? It was just cast that way?

Just checked, and it was Russ Mayburry who arbitrarily decided to make the whole planet African. The writer didn't have anything to do with that decision.

IRQ posted:

Teyla singing.

That episode was alright aside from that part.

IRQ posted:

Ori.

Eh. People hate on the Ori arc too much. I find while the worst lines of the series come from those two seasons, it wasn't nearly as bad as people make out. No, it's not as good as much of the series, but it was still kinda fun. That's the most important thing.

IRQ posted:

Replicarter.

Replicarter owned. Amanda Tapping owns. gently caress you.

IRQ posted:

Emancipation is good.

No. It is not.

Captain Vittles posted:

Netflix only exists in the USA and Canada right now, and the Canadian version is pretty lacking when compared to the American. Wanna know which SG series we have on Netflix Canada, according to their website? Stargate Infinity. That's it.

It could be worse: you could have SGU.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What? Someone who actually liked the human form replicators? Holy poo poo.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

It could be worse: you could have SGU.

I actually liked SGU. :colbert: Even the first season (though I admit it deserves a lot of the scorn).

Also, IRQ is right about Replicarter being bad. Anything with replicators aside from the original arc is bad. It had a good enough ending but the drat things just kept coming back.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Let's take a looksie!

quote:

Daniel: He looks really hurt. Must be a cultural thing.
Abu: NO! I CANNOT LOOK AT YOU!
Carter: Ok, now I'm hurt :( .

quote:

Mughal: Is this any way to greet a stranger?
Clansman: THAT ONE IS A WOMAN!!!

quote:

Mughal: She speak. She dies.

You know what, I'm only to the end of page 6, and I can't read this awful transcript anymore... gently caress it.

EDIT:

To be fair to Emancipation, it one of my favorite Teal'c lines, "what is an Oprah?" Also, the woman who wrote it DID write Thor's Hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's worth it for the scene where not-Gengis Kahn trades Carter for an M9 and is totally spazing out shooting poo poo with his bros and laughing then it runs out of bullets and RAAAAAGGEEEEE!