Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

What is going on? The only thing to have happened to my Morrowind install between now and the last time I played it was I ran Defraggler. What the christ, Morrowind. You have a mind of your own.

e: Selecting "Cancel/Yes To All" only causes the program to hang infinitely at the part where the Bethesda logo would normally play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have a weird problem with the Morrowind Grass mod. I can't walk through grass anymore, it seems to act like an invisible wall. This follows me changing a bunch of stuff in MGE so it is probably something to do with that. Any ideas?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Flaky posted:

I have a weird problem with the Morrowind Grass mod. I can't walk through grass anymore, it seems to act like an invisible wall. This follows me changing a bunch of stuff in MGE so it is probably something to do with that. Any ideas?

With grass mods you're supposed to let MGE create distant statics from the ESPs but not enable them in the launcher or else you get this problem. Did you only change some MGE settings or did you change stuff about in the launcher or Wrye Mash too?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Red Baron posted:

What is going on? The only thing to have happened to my Morrowind install between now and the last time I played it was I ran Defraggler. What the christ, Morrowind. You have a mind of your own.

e: Selecting "Cancel/Yes To All" only causes the program to hang infinitely at the part where the Bethesda logo would normally play.

I assume it's giving you this error when you start the game up? Is this on a Steam version?

Flaky posted:

If you've activated the grass mod to generate grass in MGE, you need to uncheck it while playing the game.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I assume it's giving you this error when you start the game up? Is this on a Steam version?

Yes to both.

e: Apparently something had unchecked the "run as administrator" boxes for both my launcher and Morrowind.exe but resetting those options fixed my problem!

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 19, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Are you sure the baby didn't come from "Hold It"? http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7474

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 19, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Positronic Spleen posted:

Are you sure the baby didn't come from "Hold It"? http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7474

:sigh:

Yeah, I'm using "Hold It." So I guess that means this Baby isn't worth anything? I won't have to raise it because it's got the evil seed in it?

Maybe I can get a few gold for it, at least. Or I can just dump it in a crate.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
If you haven't fixed the thing where shopkeepers automatically equip gear you sell them maybe you can find a foster parent.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Holy poo poo this game looks amazing with the sound and graphics overhaul.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
I'm pretty sure I know enough about modding to make Hold It's babies usable as throwing weapons. Anyone down for chucking babies for massive damage? I could probably add the explosive effect fire spells generate to them, making them more comically bombs, too.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I followed the instructions in the OP and installed the overhaul, now when i start morrowind i get a black screen and i hear the windows notification sound pop.

Any idea of what i can do?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Depths posted:

I followed the instructions in the OP and installed the overhaul, now when i start morrowind i get a black screen and i hear the windows notification sound pop.

Any idea of what i can do?

I had a similar issue - in addition I'm getting an error saying 'Failed to load snowflake: meshes\bm_snow_01.nif'. Any ideas on what could fix this would be much appreciated.

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 20, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Owlkill posted:

I had a similar issue - in addition I'm getting an error saying 'Failed to load snowflake: meshes\bm_snow_01.nif'. Any ideas on what could fix this would be much appreciated.

This seems like a relatively common problem. If you've double checked that Morrowind isn't installed into "Program Files," that its set to run as administrator, and that your Morrowind.ini file has Tribunal and Bloodmoon listed under "[Archives]", you may need to reinstall Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

Edit: I added a more detailed explanation to the OP

quote:

I get an error message saying "Failed to load snowflake: meshes\bm_snow_01.nif".
First, double check that you didn't install Morowind into "Program Files" and its set to "Run as Administrator" and NOT "read only." Then, check your Morrowind.ini file to make sure that the lines of code shown in Step 3 of the Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul instructions are present. If that doesn't work, reinstall Tribunal and Bloodmoon (some recommend disconnecting from the internet and disabling any anti-virus software while doing this). CD users may also want to directly copy the "Data Files" folder (or the .nif file) from the Bloodmoon CD into the folder on their computer.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Also make sure you're not using more than one monitor, MGE hates that.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I just wanted to chime in how loving amazing the atmosphere in this game can be. I got the graphics and sound overhaul running and am actually playing through it now.

I just did the Mages' Guild quest to collect dues from some mage hiding out in some backwater cave. Upon getting there she gives me the dues and tells me to get lost. I just love the way as soon as you enter the cave you KNOW something isn't right. When she says not to disrupt her colleagues, that's an understatement. Bitch has got all kinds of freaky magic poo poo in that cave.

I just love stumbling upon cool little setups like that. Haunted houses, Sixth House hideouts... It's just a really cool feeling when you stumble upon something like that without even realizing it.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 21, 2011

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Musical_Daredevil posted:

This seems like a relatively common problem. If you've double checked that Morrowind isn't installed into "Program Files," that its set to run as administrator, and that your Morrowind.ini file has Tribunal and Bloodmoon listed under "[Archives]", you may need to reinstall Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

Edit: I added a more detailed explanation to the OP

Thanks for the help - I've installed it into a separate folder to 'Program Files', and I've set it to run as administrator, however when I look in my Morrowind.ini there doesn't appear to be any section called '[Archives]' which is rather worrying!

Edit: I've managed to (kind of) fix the issue by inserting those lines of code into the .ini (found out how here: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0), however when I launch the game now I get a warning message - I forget the exact wording but when I check the 'Warnings.txt' file I get the following:

quote:

One of the files that "TLM - Ambient Light + Fog Update.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One of the files that "TLM - Light Sources (Clearer Lighting).esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "Balmora Un-Mod.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "BetterClothesForTB.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "SNR_ThievesStep_Standart.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "TLM - Light Sources (Lanterns).esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "TLM - External Lights Ownership.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

Another edit: Started a new game, got as far as leaving the boat before a CTD :(

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 21, 2011

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

l33t b4c0n posted:

I just wanted to chime in how loving amazing the atmosphere in this game can be. I got the graphics and sound overhaul running and am actually playing through it now.

I just did the Mages' Guild quest to collect dues from some mage hiding out in some backwater cave. Upon getting there she gives me the dues and tells me to get lost. I just love the way as soon as you enter the cave you KNOW something isn't right. When she says not to disrupt her colleagues, that's an understatement. Bitch has got all kinds of freaky magic poo poo in that cave.

I just love stumbling upon cool little setups like that. Haunted houses, Sixth House hideouts... It's just a really cool feeling when you stumble upon something like that without even realizing it.

I'm thinking of installing and playing with the Sound and Graphics Overhaul. Is that the only thing you installed or did you install some shaders or other mods as well? Are you using the MGE-XE as well? Does everything run fine?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Hey guys, I'm hoping for some insight into a weird glitch I've encountered with the Sound and Graphics Overhaul. I just installed it (and Morrowind GOTY) yesterday, so it's pretty fresh and untampered with. Basically every time I cast shield on myself, whether Dragon Skin or otherwise, a weird white polygon will envelop my character. I'm guessing the animation/skin for a shielded character was hosed up somehow...any ideas?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

l33t b4c0n posted:

I've done that quest more times than I can count, but only went back there once. Once was enough.

Owlkill posted:

Edit: I've managed to (kind of) fix the issue by inserting those lines of code into the .ini (found out how here: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/...hp?topic=1421.0), however when I launch the game now I get a warning message - I forget the exact wording but when I check the 'Warnings.txt' file I get the following:

Looking at those mods in particular, it seems that there's something wrong with your Tribunal installation. Can you check it with Wrye Mash?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Owlkill posted:

Thanks for the help - I've installed it into a separate folder to 'Program Files', and I've set it to run as administrator, however when I look in my Morrowind.ini there doesn't appear to be any section called '[Archives]' which is rather worrying!

Edit: I've managed to (kind of) fix the issue by inserting those lines of code into the .ini (found out how here: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0), however when I launch the game now I get a warning message - I forget the exact wording but when I check the 'Warnings.txt' file I get the following:

Another edit: Started a new game, got as far as leaving the boat before a CTD :(

For what it's worth I've also experienced problems with TLM as well, but my "solution" was to install a different mod megapack. I really wanted to use Knot's guide but that was a clusterfuck and I had issues with my warnings file like you've posted in addition to obviously funky lighting issues in some places. Good luck!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Don't use TLM. Use "True Lights and Darkness" instead. I've recommended it a couple of times, but using that in conjunction with the typical lighting tweaks (2.619 Quadratic, 1.0 Linear, 0.382 Constant) makes for a gorgeous game with pitch black caves and rich lighting.

Also, it seems like a ton of people have problems with MGSO. I hardly know what the gently caress that is, but it seems like it's more trouble than its worth.

EDIT:

Some screenshots of True Lights and Darkness with MGE-XE SSAO shaders:

And when used in conjunction with SWG Skies V3.0 / Vurt's Hi-Res Skies / Morrowind.ini tweaks for weather, you can get some pretty impressive environments:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I added a section for manual installation of mods (i.e. MCP/MGE) to the OP under "Adding Shaders". Would some brave soul would like to test it and make sure it works?

Edit: ...or that I didn't forget anything?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I added a section for manual installation of mods (i.e. MCP/MGE) to the OP under "Adding Shaders". Would some brave soul would like to test it and make sure it works?

Edit: ...or that I didn't forget anything?

Manual installations are the only way I've ever modified Morrowind, so I've taken a look at your instructions. I'd suggest adding several tools to the mix.

1. MLOX (and the latest rules update): This will look at your load order and offer helpful advice to rearranging it. Unlike BOSS for Oblivion and Fallout, MLOX will actually explain why it wants you to rearrange your load order. If there are redundant plugins, it'll tell you. If you shouldn't include certain plugins in a TESTool merger, it'll tell you that, too. Very helpful, especially for people like me who might haphazardly dump a bunch of mods into my data folder.

2. TESTool. This will allow you clean Masters and Esps, merge object lists, and leveled lists (it does dialogue mergers too, but apparently you really shouldn't do that.) It's especially important for users manually installing their own mix of mods.

As far as things you might add to your highly recommended mod list, I'd say:

Taddeus' "On the Rocks!" series. It doesn't change gameplay, but it replaces virtually every rock and boulder in the game with an improved mesh and texture. This is especially nice when used in conjunction with high-resolution texture packs (Connary's, for example) because the vanilla rocks start to stand out like a sore thumb.

Then there's AOF's Waterfalls and AOF's Potions, which improves the waterfall and potion meshes immensely. OBSERVE:

There are a lot of other mesh and textures minutiae, but between these and your currently listed mods, I think you're setting people off on the right foot.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 22, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I added Mlox and TESTool right before MGE in that order. Is that where they should go?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I added Mlox and TESTool right before MGE in that order. Is that where they should go?

TESTool and Mlox aren't technically installed, they're simply drag / dropped into your Morrowind folder wherever is convenient. Nothing they have is overwritten by other utilities like MGE or MWSE, so you can pretty much install them whenever you'd like. Actually, they're useless until after you've got your mods installed, since they need to look at what you've got and figure out what to do with it.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Fine. I'll keep them where they are now since I'd prefer LOD generation with MGE-XE happen last.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

All I want is to run Morrowind with original graphics in widescreen. Will I be fine with the Morrowind Code Patcher and MGE?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

All I want is to run Morrowind with original graphics in widescreen. Will I be fine with the Morrowind Code Patcher and MGE?

I don't even know if you need MCP for that goal, but yeah, you'd get what you want with just MCP and MGE.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
In the last thread someone mentioned two mods. They both added an option to join the Sixth House but I can't seem to find them now! Does anyone have a link for either? Or a review of if they're worth a go or not?

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

Vagon posted:

In the last thread someone mentioned two mods. They both added an option to join the Sixth House but I can't seem to find them now! Does anyone have a link for either? Or a review of if they're worth a go or not?

Great House Dagoth and Sixth House, I'm assuming?

No idea what they're like myself, but I've heard Great House Dagoth is the better mod out of the two.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Just wanna post and say the only mod you will ever need is the MGE. Unlike Oblivion where I can install a thousand gameplay mods and never quite be satisfied, Morrowind is perfect from the get-go.

e: Oh and something to stop the loving Dark Brotherhood because gently caress those guys.

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 22, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Just wanna post and say the only mod you will ever need is the MGE. Unlike Oblivion where I can install a thousand gameplay mods and never quite be satisfied, Morrowind is perfect from the get-go.

I really am looking forward to MGE-XE picking up MGE's water shaders. They just look so drat good. :allears:

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
For anyone looking to install/mod morrowind again, go with the MGSO, patch it completely, then install/configure MGE:XE.

After that, I went through BTB's mod list and installed everything that wasn't a graphics mod, and then added Passive Healthy Wildlife. The LGNPC stuff adds a huge amount of content quest wise. I've been debating adding the Tamriel Rebuilt mod, but don't know how nice it plays with everything else.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Is passive wildlife working alright alongside Morrowind Advanced? I installed MA as it was on BTB's list and have been largely regretting it. The creatures added are poorly reskinned Daedra hacked to be incredibly annoying, as if wandering about in Vvandenfell needed more respawning annoyances. I'd turn it off but I'm afraid of frakking up my save.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Looking at those mods in particular, it seems that there's something wrong with your Tribunal installation. Can you check it with Wrye Mash?

I've got Wrye Mash now, how exactly do I check it? I can get a big list of all the mods I've got installed up, with some of them showing yellow - does this indicate that there's issues with them?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AXE COP posted:

e: Oh and something to stop the loving Dark Brotherhood because gently caress those guys.

Eh, I'd go so far to say Passive Healthy Wildlife is also necessary, but beyond that nothing else really comes to mind.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Looking for some help: MGEGui crashes on start up with "MGEGui has stopped responding". This is on a fresh install of Morrowind & co. on Windows 7 64-bit and installing the Overhaul after patching Bloodmoon. I did NOT turn off UAC when installing the Overhaul because it sounded like the poo poo that starts when somebody screws up the install and blames it on Windows. Now I'm wondering if that is actually essential when installing or if there's another possible cause for MGEGui to fail. I also really don't want to turn off UAC just to play pretty Morrowind if I always have to have UAC off.

I've tried running MGEGui as an admin and with various compatability modes with no luck. I turned DEP to OptIn mode instead of OptOut (I can't add MGEGui to the DEP whitelist for some reason). Morrowind isn't installed to any ProgramFiles or even on the C:\ drive with Windows.

Help :(

*edit*
This was with MGSO v1.0. I did update 1.1->1.2->1.3 but it didn't make any difference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Looking for some help: MGEGui crashes on start up with "MGEGui has stopped responding". This is on a fresh install of Morrowind & co. on Windows 7 64-bit and installing the Overhaul after patching Bloodmoon. I did NOT turn off UAC when installing the Overhaul because it sounded like the poo poo that starts when somebody screws up the install and blames it on Windows. Now I'm wondering if that is actually essential when installing or if there's another possible cause for MGEGui to fail. I also really don't want to turn off UAC just to play pretty Morrowind if I always have to have UAC off.

I've tried running MGEGui as an admin and with various compatability modes with no luck. I turned DEP to OptIn mode instead of OptOut (I can't add MGEGui to the DEP whitelist for some reason). Morrowind isn't installed to any ProgramFiles or even on the C:\ drive with Windows.

Help :(

*edit*
This was with MGSO v1.0. I did update 1.1->1.2->1.3 but it didn't make any difference.

Out of curiosity, did you try to run the game at least once before trying to run MGE?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

Is passive wildlife working alright alongside Morrowind Advanced? I installed MA as it was on BTB's list and have been largely regretting it. The creatures added are poorly reskinned Daedra hacked to be incredibly annoying, as if wandering about in Vvandenfell needed more respawning annoyances. I'd turn it off but I'm afraid of frakking up my save.
I think there's a compatibility patch out there somewhere. It might require merging stuff, although I haven't tried; I'm not sure if Merged Objects includes creature records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I select Vurt's bushy textures for installation in MGSO it instead puts Vality's in my data-files folder. I'm guessing its not supposed to do this?