Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

jazz babies posted:

I need help!

The other night my game crashed as it normally does. However, this time I was testing out my rail system and inside a cart, travelling along. When I logged back on, there were 6 new minecarts on the track. I could destroy all of them, and then they'd show up in my inventory like I'd created them.

I thought, "hey, okay, free minecarts!"...but then as I traveled along my track, I noticed a few I had destroyed, but I can't pick them up. They just sit there hovering, and I can't go past them in the cart.

The hell happened?

*edit* It crashed again, I came back, the stuck minecart icon is gone, but there were NINE new minecarts on the track.

First I would go to https://www.java.com and download the latest version of it. This stopped my Minecraft from crashing. If that doesn't work try running the game in a browser instead of standalone.

For your minecart problem, did you try to dig a hole under them and then bury the carts and build over? I never saw that happen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just finished up with Terraria, how close/similar is it to minecraft? I really liked it, but after getting all the top tier gear, there wasn't much left to do as the 2D really limits the creativity you can put into building structures.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Abortion is yummy still has it, and is presumably still alive.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
e: I'm a dumbass who also cannot read.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

I just finished up with Terraria, how close/similar is it to minecraft? I really liked it, but after getting all the top tier gear, there wasn't much left to do as the 2D really limits the creativity you can put into building structures.

If building structures is what you're looking for, Minecraft is the better choice. I agree that two dimensions was very limiting in Terraria. However, the combat/gameplay of Minecraft is much more shallow without mods. (We'll see what 1.8 brings, though.)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mastiff posted:

If building structures is what you're looking for, Minecraft is the better choice. I agree that two dimensions was very limiting in Terraria. However, the combat/gameplay of Minecraft is much more shallow without mods. (We'll see what 1.8 brings, though.)

Well, to be honest, the combat of Terraria got grating after a while. It got to the point where i was like "just leave me the gently caress alone and let me work".

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Kin posted:

Well, to be honest, the combat of Terraria got grating after a while. It got to the point where i was like "just leave me the gently caress alone and let me work".

I feel like this when I'm building something big. I honestly wish I would expedite the process of building what's essentially a large cobblestone square.

But if you've got a friend exploring a new cave can actually be a lot of fun on a server. It'll probably be more fun with the update to combat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kin posted:

Then Minecraft is where you want to be. Welcome home.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Then Minecraft is where you want to be. Welcome home.

Home here i come.

Welp, this is a little bit harder. The "first night" video in the op has the guy find coal almost right away, no luck for me, now it's pitch black, and i'm cowering in a hovel i dug out of a wall. :smith:

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 23, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kin posted:

Home here i come.

Welp, this is a little bit harder. The "first night" viode in the op has the guy find coal almost right away, no luck for me, now it's pitch black, and i'm cowering in a hovel i dug out of a wall. :smith:

You can make coal by burning wood

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kin posted:

Home here i come.

Welp, this is a little bit harder. The "first night" video in the op has the guy find coal almost right away, no luck for me, now it's pitch black, and i'm cowering in a hovel i dug out of a wall. :smith:
This is the true Minecraft first night experience.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

You can make coal by burning wood

I'm very new to this, i'm presuming i can't just rub 2 sticks together to get that base fire can i?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kin posted:

I'm very new to this, i'm presuming i can't just rub 2 sticks together to get that base fire can i?

Haha naw. Get wood > build crafting table > make pickaxe > get stone > build furnace > burn wood (using wood) > coal!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Kin posted:

Nope, gotta dig out some stone to make a forge.

Edit:drat, beaten.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kin posted:

That's kinda what actually happens. Make a furnace out of stone, then put wood planks in the bottom square and that's your fuel (where you presumably rub these sticks together). Put logs in the top square and it will start burning. Then voila, charcoal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Woohoo, i have coal and now i've got torches. This is definitely going to take a bit of getting used to, particularly in what should be the initial building order of things.

The game is buggy as gently caress though. It crashed once when i jumped into a nearby shallow pool of water and in the last 2 times i've run the game, the sound has stopped working.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You may want to make sure that java's up to date on your machine, if you're getting crashes like that just running the straight-up vanilla game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kin posted:

Woohoo, i have coal and now i've got torches. This is definitely going to take a bit of getting used to, particularly in what should be the initial building order of things.

The game is buggy as gently caress though. It crashed once when i jumped into a nearby shallow pool of water and in the last 2 times i've run the game, the sound has stopped working.

Just remember, charcoal (the coal you get from burning logs) is terribly inefficient when used as a fuel for your furnace, so it's pretty much only fit for making torches.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

gravyflood posted:

Just remember, charcoal (the coal you get from burning logs) is terribly inefficient when used as a fuel for your furnace, so it's pretty much only fit for making torches.

What? It works just as well!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It doesn't really matter, anyway. Once you start cave exploring, you'll find more coal than you'll ever use.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
It works... but you can get way more furnace power from the original wood, broken up into sticks.

1 log = 1 charcoal = 8 fully "cooked" object
1 log = 4 planks = 8 sticks = 4 fully "cooked" objects

E: Nevermind, I knew I was going to screw that math up. Actually, it's best to go with charcoal after all.

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 23, 2011

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Gaspar Lewis posted:

It works... but you can get way more furnace power from the original wood, broken up into sticks.

1 log = 1 charcoal = 1 fully "cooked" object

You're wrong. One charcoal provides 8 fuel, exactly like coal. 7 when you account for the cost of making it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tardcore posted:

What? It works just as well!

I should've been more clear -- I meant it's lovely compared to the coal you get from mining.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
...It works just as well? There is no difference between charcoal and regular coal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

Oh, are there mods to make things like the pickaxe have infinite health? I prefer the way Terraria did things with the tools in that you could use one forever, but they ranged from really weak to being super strong.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

gravyflood posted:

I should've been more clear -- I meant it's lovely compared to the coal you get from mining.

Charcoal and coal are in fact the exact same item but with metadata to tell the game that they have different names.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I usually use the saplings from the first tree to fuel the logs and get coal that way.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kin posted:

Oh, are there mods to make things like the pickaxe have infinite health? I prefer the way Terraria did things with the tools in that you could use one forever, but they ranged from really weak to being super strong.

There's mods for everything, but they're fairly often gigantic pains in the rear end.

Here's the goon thread on Minecraft mods, though it fairly often descends into madness and Yogscast sycophancy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430195

My advice would be to play it straight for a while---after an hour or two of play, you'll be swimming in enough iron to make as many picks as you'll need to mine out a ton of diamond---diamond picks easily last long enough to find enough diamond for even more diamond picks.

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

1 log = 1 charcoal = 8 fully "cooked" object

1 log = 4 planks = 6 fully "cooked" objects
1 coal (from mining) = 8 fully "cooked" objects

I only now realised that logs are almost as good as coal when converted into planks. Course coal stacks higher.

Fuel efficiency page on the Wiki

Read
Dec 21, 2010

-removed wrong math-
I tend to end up with enough coal after I've done some mining that I don't really have to worry about fuel at all.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 23, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

If you are looking for multiplayer, I would suggest checking out WilsonSMP over in the private game section.
We got a pretty strong and every growing community, great for new players and lots of server events.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DoubleDown11 posted:

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread or not but I'm going to ask anyway:
I'm looking to buy a mini-pc, and since the only thing I really do with my desktop nowadays is play minecraft I wanted to get one that ran the game better than my current lovely computer. The one I'm looking at (the dell zino 410) has an AMD Phenom II X4 P960 Quad Core Processor 1.8GHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card.
I am pretty stupid with computers so please forgive me if these are not the stats that would actually be usefull. Will this setup run Minecraft well?
From a page back but wanted to say: this will play minecraft well, but not super great. It's a laptop system packaged into a little box. I would predict you won't be able to use far draw distance without lag spikes or occasional low fps, though that may depend of your screen/window size.

I would only get the Zino if you *really* want a tiny box computer, as the normal mini- or slim-tower has ridiculously better performance for the same money. But if you are, the cheaper Athlon II X2 cpu will actually perform better in minecraft (and most day-to-day tasks too). It only has 2 cores vs the phenom's 4, but at 2.3ghz is much faster. Minecraft needs mods like optifine just to use 2 cores, so it can't even use half the Phenom X4.

lizzyinthesky posted:

Throw an SSD in that and you should be fine. The Phenom there is a bit slowish but should be plenty for minecraft.
Huge disagreement here. An SSD is not going to improve the performance of a computer like that -- and I doubt would ever help minecraft in any computer under normal circumstances.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Danyull posted:

Abortion is yummy still has it, and is presumably still alive.

This is taking forever. Hurry up and die, fuckers! Or the stuff you build better be cool as poo poo.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Allen Wren posted:

madness and Yogscast sycophancy.

There's something about this phrase that keeps me saying it a lot. I should turn it into a new curse - madness and sycophancy!

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Klyith posted:

Huge disagreement here. An SSD is not going to improve the performance of a computer like that -- and I doubt would ever help minecraft in any computer under normal circumstances.

Minecraft is actually limited quite a bit by hard drive read speed, in loading/unloading chunks. SSD would /definitely/ serve well there.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Last night Minecraft's titlescreen text was 'verlet integration!'...is this a new one? Does it mean Notch is adding a better physics engine? Ragdoll mobs would be awesome!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Enzer posted:

If you are looking for multiplayer, I would suggest checking out WilsonSMP over in the private game section.
We got a pretty strong and every growing community, great for new players and lots of server events.

Cool, looking into installing the mods and whatever, then i'll jump on in.

edit: will jumping on a server with mods install those mods into my game or do i have to do it all manually?

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 23, 2011

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

Last night Minecraft's titlescreen text was 'verlet integration!'...is this a new one? Does it mean Notch is adding a better physics engine? Ragdoll mobs would be awesome!

Way way way back notch talked a lot about adding in ragdoll for player and mob deaths but nothing ever came of it sadly (and obviously)

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think anything in the game is even articulated enough to make ragdoll deaths noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Wasn't notch supposed to fix the lava bucket in furnace killing the bucket thing in a prior patch? I swear I read that somewhere but lo and behold, it's still disappearing. I'd love to use lava as a fuel source if it weren't so expensive due to the iron cost.