Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips and help for Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition? The wiki doesn't have anything.

-Hit 'g' to turn on the grid and show enemy tackle zones. This is especially important for new players.

-Each of your players can either move or throw a block each turn, not both - to do both is called a Blitz. You get one Blitz per turn to use on the player of your choosing. A Blitz must be declared before the player you want to use to Blitz does anything else, so be careful not to move or stand a fallen player up until you're sure you won't be using them to Blitz. Also, as long as you've got movement to spare, the Blitzing player can still move after throwing a block.

-The first action you perform that fails (if you fail an attempt to pick up the ball, botch a pass or handoff, have a player fall over, or get called on a foul) causes you to lose the rest of your turn. So have a general idea of what you want to accomplish each turn and do actions that involve no risk first (like safe moves and standing up players that have been knocked down). That way, even if you screw up the first thing that requires a roll, you haven't completely wasted the turn. From there, do actions in order of risk and importance - low risk and high importance first and so on.

-The exception to the above is if you need to do something to create an opportunity, like if you need to hit a defender to open up a path for your receiver to run through.

-When you have a player selected and hover your mouse over an enemy that the player is eligible to block, the cursor will show how risky that block is - one white die shown means one block die will be rolled, meaning a moderate risk. Two or three white dice means the block is in your favor - two or three block dice will be rolled and you get to choose the result you want. Two or three red dice means it's in your opponent's favor - two or three block dice will be rolled, but THEY get to choose the result. Which means you'll want to avoid throwing that block unless it's your only option in a last-ditch attempt to score or prevent a touchdown. Whether or not a block is in your favor is determined by your player's ST +1 for each valid supporter vs. the opposing player's ST +1 for each of their valid supporters. If both sides are even, it's a one-die-block. If one side is greater, it's a two-die-block chosen by the victor, and if one side is twice as high as the other, it's a three-die-block.

-Don't use single player for anything beyond getting introduced to the rules a bit, as the AI is crap and will teach you bad habits.

-Be careful what you use your apothecary on. Low-level linemen (or whatever the basic unit for the team you're using is called) are expendable. Save it for when your stars and key positionals suffer permanent injuries or death.

-I wouldn't start a team with fewer than 2 rerolls, and it's fine to forego an apothecary for the first game or two to buy another reroll. After all, rerolls double in price after your first game, apothecaries do not. And if you get your key positionals killed or permanently injured in the game or two before you can afford an apothecary, you can just delete and recreate the team. Just the same, you really shouldn't need more than 4 rerolls. Most teams are good with 3.

-If you have fewer than 11 players that are up for play (not dead or missing a game due to injury), at the start of a game you automatically get enough temporary journeymen lineman-type units to make up the difference. These temp units will all have the "loner" attribute (50% chance to waste rerolls used on them), so it's not a good idea rely too much on them as anything but meat for a grinder.

-The skill Block is your best friend - it keeps your character standing on a "Both Down" result both when attacking (negating a turnover) and defending. You'll want it ASAP on drat near everything that doesn't come with it, with the exception of your passers.

-The combination of Block + Dodge is nicknamed "Blodge" is even more potent. Anything with Blodge can be an utter pain in the rear end to knock over unless you've got units with the skill Tackle. Blodge is used to greatest effect on high agility players/teams (and it's a good chunk of what makes the elf teams so good), but it's pretty handy to have a few blodgers on just about every team.

-The edges of the field are dangerous - players can be shoved off the field (often called "crowdsurfing"), and when they are, they get their asses kicked by angry fans - and thier armor won't protect them. Any player that gets crowdsurfed has to skip the roll vs. their armor and goes right into rolling vs. injury. Plus, even if they do avoid injury, they're still gone until the next kickoff. The only drawback is that injuries due to crowdsurfing do not award SPP to the player that shoved another off the field, but an easy removal of an enemy from the field is worth it.

-Big guys (anything that starts with 5 Strength or higher) are hard to use and can end up being liabilities because they all have a few of drawbacks. For one, none of them have access to General skills except on doubles, which means unless you get lucky, they won't have access to Block. Combine that with the fact that they also tend to be loners (50% chance to waste rerolls), it means they can end up causing you a lot of turnovers. Apart from Tomb Guardians and Mummies, they've also all got negative traits that'll sometimes cause them to ignore your orders and stare blankly into space (Beasts of Nurgle, Ogres, and Trolls), stand around snarling (Minotaurs, Snow Trolls, and Rat Ogres), or get rooted into place for the rest of a drive (Tree Men). They CAN be fun to use and a good source of hilarity, but until you know what you're doing, they can cause you more grief than is neccesary.

-Naming theme is KEY.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Random Hajile posted:

-Hit 'g' to turn on the grid and show enemy tackle zones. This is especially important for new players.

-The first action you perform that fails (fail to pick up the ball, botch a pass or handoff, have a player fall over, or get called on a foul) causes you to lose the rest of your turn. So have a general idea of what you want to accomplish each turn and do actions that involve no risk first (like safe moves and standing up players that have been knocked down). That way, even if you screw up the first thing that requires a roll, you haven't completely wasted the turn. From there, do actions in order of risk and importance - low risk and high importance first and so on.

-The exception to the above is if you need to do something to create an opportunity, like if you need to hit a defender to open up a path for your receiver to run through.

-Don't use single player for anything beyond getting introduced to the rules a bit, as the AI is crap and will teach you bad habits.

-Be careful what you use your apothecary on. Low-level linemen (or whatever the basic unit for the team you're using is called) are expendable. Save it for when your stars and key positionals suffer permanent injuries or death.

-I wouldn't start a team with fewer than 2 rerolls, and it's fine to forego an apothecary for the first game or two to buy another reroll. After all, rerolls double in price after your first game, apothecaries do not. And if you get your key positionals killed or permanently injured in the game or two before you can afford an apothecary, you can just delete and recreate the team. Just the same, you really shouldn't need more than 4 rerolls. Most teams are good with 3.

-If you have fewer than 11 players that are up for play (not dead or missing a game due to injury), at the start of a game you automatically get enough temporary journeymen lineman-type units to make up the difference. These temp units will all have the "loner" attribute (50% chance to waste rerolls used on them), so it's not a good idea rely too much on them as anything but meat for a grinder.

-The Block skill is your best friend - it keeps your character standing on a "Both Down" result both when attacking (negating a turnover) and defending. You'll want it ASAP on drat near everything that doesn't come with it, with the exception of your passers.

-The combination of Block + Dodge is nicknamed "Blodge" is even more potent. Anything with Blodge can be an utter pain in the rear end to knock over unless you've got units with the skill Tackle. Blodge is used to greatest effect on high agility players/teams (and it's a good chunk of what makes the elf teams so good), but it's pretty handy to have a few blodgers on just about every team.

-Big guys (anything that starts with 5 Strength or higher) are hard to use and can end up being liabilities because they all have a few of drawbacks. For one, none of them have access to General skills except on doubles, which means unless you get lucky, they won't have access to Block. Combine that with the fact that they also tend to be loners (50% chance to waste rerolls), it means they can end up causing you a lot of turnovers. Apart from Tomb Guardians and Mummies, they've also all got negative traits that'll sometimes cause them to ignore your orders and stare blankly into space (Beasts of Nurgle, Ogres, and Trolls), stand around snarling (Minotaurs, Snow Trolls, and Rat Ogres), or get rooted into place for the rest of a drive (Tree Men). They CAN be fun to use and a good source of hilarity, but until you know what you're doing, they can cause you more grief than is neccesary.

-Naming theme is KEY.

Awesome, thanks! Do you have any tips for playing Amazons? Their people seem to be around even in stats so I was wondering what how I should be aiming to play them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mount and Blade: Warband
Does anyone have a good guide to fighting other than "fight a lot, and you'll get better at it"? I really, really, suck at anything other than "prepare to swing with a two-handed long weapon, and hope I meet a noob who runs into my swing". I can't shoot, can't melee, can't hit people when on horseback. Tips, advice, instructions?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips and help for Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition? The wiki doesn't have anything.

It tends to vary quite a bit depending on what team you choose, but here are a few general pointers:

-Always do moves that don't require a roll first in a turn. That's mostly moving and standing people up. Then do whatever is integral to your turn (picking up the ball/passing/blitzing their carrier). Then you can try relatively safe moves if the opportunity presents itself, such as throwing 3/2-dice blocks or dodging away from an enemy if you're playing a fast team.

-Sometimes you don't want to stand players up immediately, for example if you want to blitz with them or if they're between an enemy and the sideline.

-Avoid throwing 1-dice blocks if you can. Only use them if it's integral to the turn and you have a reroll ready.

-When leveling up, "Block" is usually the most useful thing you can pick. Try to get it on basically every player as soon as possible. Delay getting it only if are you are offered to increase a stat or pick from a skillset they can't usually access (by rolling doubles on level-up). Also, give one of your guys "Kick" pretty early on.

-Dwarves are boring :colbert:

-Don't forget the "Blood" part in the title. Even if you're playing a fast team without much punching power you won't get anywhere without throwing at least some blocks. Also, a well-aimed foul can often all but win you the game.

-When creating a team it can often be a good idea to skimp on buying players a bit and focus on buying rerolls and an apothecary while they're cheap(er). Players come and go, but those things stay forever and are always useful.

-Cheerleaders and Co-Coaches are generally not worth it. Save up for new players and more rerolls instead.

-When you have the ball, keep in mind that you can hand it off instead of passing it. A Hand-Off has the advantage that you only roll once for the receiving player to catch, meaning that the player handing off can be adjacent to enemies without a penalty.

-Also keep in mind that if a player is blitzing he can still move after the block. This is useful if you want to have a player adjacent to an enemy move away without risking a dodge.

-A pass does not actually need a recicipent. If you got your hands on the ball close to your endzone it might be a good idea to just throw the thing as far as possible into the enemy half, especially against a slow team.

That's all I can think off right now. If you have any more specific questions ask away. Also take a look into the thread

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PrinnySquadron posted:

Awesome, thanks! Do you have any tips for playing Amazons? Their people seem to be around even in stats so I was wondering what how I should be aiming to play them.

It's been a few months since I've played, so I'm starting to get a little rusty on my strategy, but what I do remember is that Amazons are one of the strongest teams when they first start out, but not so much in the long haul.

Their biggest flaw is that they're squishy. As everything starts with dodge, they can be annoying to knock over, but when they do fall, they break more easily than a lot of teams. So you'll want to leave as few players ending a turn standing next to enemy players as you can - that limits how many punches they can throw when it's their turn. It can, however, be handy to leave the occasional linewoman next a heavy hitter to keep them away from where the real action's going to be. You'll want to be especially selective of when you follow up after throwing a block. You don't want to walk into a situation when multiple opponents can just push your players back and forth until they get the knockdown.

Instead, Amazons are good at "screening" - rather than leaving your defending players right next to the opposing team, Amazons will want to use their evasiveness to back off a little and create a net of tackle zones that your opponents can't just run through. It forces your opponents to deal with your defenders more on your terms, and even if they do manage to punch a hole through your line, they'll have to use their Blitz to do so, so they won't be able to hit your ball carrier that turn. Just watch out for Wardancers and the like - they can attempt to just Leap over your defensive screen.

The reason why Amazons fall behind elf teams in the long run is because of their stats. The simple version is that compared to elves, Amazons trade a point of agility on everything for Dodge. Once elves gain a couple levels, they'll have a bunch of blodgers too, and thanks to the extra agility, they'll be better at dodging away from enemies, better at throwing, and better at receiving.

The one advantage that Amazons will always have over elven teams is that Amazon Blitzers have easy access to Strength skills, most notably Guard. Guard lets a player ignore tackle zones for the purpose of assisting blocks, which means it's easier to get advantageous blocks. It goes a long way when you've got a bunch of defenders in your way and you need to break through them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anything for Bastion?

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Xander77 posted:

Mount and Blade: Warband
Does anyone have a good guide to fighting other than "fight a lot, and you'll get better at it"? I really, really, suck at anything other than "prepare to swing with a two-handed long weapon, and hope I meet a noob who runs into my swing". I can't shoot, can't melee, can't hit people when on horseback. Tips, advice, instructions?

Learn to feint.

Basically, you do everything you are doing so far (preparing to swing and what-not) but at the final moments before you clash swords you tap the block button, cancelling your swing. Immediately after, change swing directions and hit. People will not be expecting it as much and it is always a good strategy to feint as much as possible beforehand as to confuse your opponent and keep him constantly blocking.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything for Bastion?

I've almost completed my first run through, and I can say that it's pretty pick-up-and-play for the most part. The only thing is that you should explore as much as possible if you want to get everything, but expect to miss a few things (probably). The game wants and expects you to play it more than once, which considering how fun it is and the length of time you invest (pretty short), playing more than once shouldn't be a chore.

Breath of Fire 4 just came out on PSN, anything I should know about that?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Anything for Final Fantasy X-2? I've been meaning to play this for ages and I may have some time for it soon.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy X-2? I've been meaning to play this for ages and I may have some time for it soon.

When the game tells you to go somewhere, go everywhere else first. Most of the game is in the sidequests and if you critical path it you will miss a ton of things and probably end up underleveled or missing good gear.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dylan-D posted:

Immediately after, change swing directions and hit. People will not be expecting it as much and it is always a good strategy to feint as much as possible beforehand as to confuse your opponent and keep him constantly blocking.
Ah. That's how people who have skills keep killing me. That, and sidestepping. I'd still love a good combat guide though.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Anything for Bastion?

For the PC, shift locks onto the enemy. When the enemy dies, you'll automatically lock on to the next enemy. This is vital knowledge for ranged weapons, especially when you're trying to complete their challenges.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

Want the best ending? Find a guide. There are so many arbitrary things you have to see and do in specific order it's ridiculous. Not necessary but if you want to get the most out of the game expect to slavishly follow a specific walkthrough.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah you should give up on any thoughts of 100%ing FFX-2, or even getting a good ending. I followed along religiously with the official strategy guide and still ended up with 99.5% or something.

If you want to enjoy the game - keep in mind what was said above about exploring for sidequests, because the sidequests are really the meat of the game, but don't stress about it and move on if you get bored.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Just play FF10-2 and when you don't get the best ending just look it up on youtube. Nothing is worth the bullshit the game expects of you to get it.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Herobotic posted:

Breath of Fire 4 just came out on PSN, anything I should know about that?
-Combos are really, really great. Valid combos are really easy to figure out, but they may not always chain. That's simply the nature of it for a good while. It's been a long time, but I remember using it most often to spread buffs around the entire party or add a bit of healing to moves like Focus.

-Ryu's dragon forms tend to have awesome things for ending combos. Breath attacks in particular. As for the dragon forms themselves, the elemental forms get upgrades at certain Game Point breakpoints. I don't remember the values, but the first eligible dragon form you use after reaching a breakpoint is automatically upgraded. I don't think it's possible to waste upgrades.

-BoF3's Observe command has been combined with defending in BoF4. So any move in blue text has a chance to be learned by any active party members guarding at the time. This includes select abilities from Ryu's dragon forms.

-Finally, remember that your party acts in the order you issue commands. Pretty much only important for making combos simpler and allowing you to drop a party heal or something at the end of a round.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the Final Fantasy X-2 advice! I wont be aiming for the 100% as I'm not a big fan of playing a whole game with a guide next to me.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mayor McCheese posted:

Thanks for the Final Fantasy X-2 advice! I wont be aiming for the 100% as I'm not a big fan of playing a whole game with a guide next to me.

If you've played more than five minutes after you gain control of Rikku at the beginning, you've probably already missed out on 100%.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I rented it years ago. I remember seeing the intro then shutting it off and returning it to the rental store. Goons love this game so I'm willing to try again. The real insensitive though is that I loved FFX.

I only save my OCD for the Suikoden series (which I don't have to worry about ever again according to Konami).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So I bought the Dawn of War II pack in the Steam sale, which includes DoW2, DoW2: Chaos Rising, and DoW2: Retribution. I guess the other two are standalone expansions...at the moment I'm interested in the single player, where exactly should I be starting? Do the expansions add incredible gameplay enhancements or anything, or should I just start with the beginning?

Also, anything I should know before I play for the first time etc etc

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anything to know about Max Payne 2 or is that game as straightforward as they come?

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Opus125 posted:

Anything to know about Max Payne 2 or is that game as straightforward as they come?

The more people you kill in slow motion the slower the world will become for that session of bullettime.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Opus125 posted:

In Max Payne 1, it was all about the shoot-dodge, where you jump and it goes into bullet time. That is still useful in MP2, but just going into regular bullet time on foot is more effective. It was a change up for me from MP1 since I was used to shoot-dodging back and forth around a room. Be prepared for some brutal escort missions.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dawn of War II
Google results
I'd recommend playing through the single-player campaigns in order because:
a) they're chronological ordered and feature recurring characters; plot twists won't make sense otherwise
b) the first two have stronger storylines and characterization; the Retribution campaign is shorter and many plot points are contrived or nonsensical (due to budget limitations)

The original single-player campaign and Chaos Rising are more RPG-focused; you have a small collection of thematically-distinct squads (reconnaissance, heavy weapons, etc) each of which will greatly outclass an equivalent enemy unit. You'll acquire enough wargear and upgrade points to customize them heavily. It's possible to screw this up, but only by persistently making bad choices. You'll need considerable micromanagement skill in order to effectively use all four squads at once during missions. If you're overwhelmed, then you can deploy units which require less babysitting (e.g. dreadnought) or aim for passive rather than active skills when choosing upgrades. The attack-move command is also helful.

Retribution is more army-focused; you have a smaller set of heroes, their equipment and abilities are less powerful, and many of their skills will unlock or upgrade squads or vehicles (which are then recruited during missions via collectible resources). If you make good decisions re: deployment (e.g. troop and weapon selection, march formations, flanks, fields-of-fire) then you can generally ignore the split-second micro stuff. If your preferred strategy is "select all, right-click enemy" then you can opt to leave your glass-cannon heroes behind and swap in tougher units.

There are three main categories of multiplayer: cooperative play of the single-player campaign, RTS-style deathmatches (which are reasonably similar to the Retribution single-player game) and The Last Stand, which is a cooperative game wherein each player controls a single hero and you must try to survive against waves of enemies. Be sure to give TLS a shot at some point, but be aware that you'd need to sink dozens of hours into it in order to unlock everything.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anything I should know about GTA 4? The wiki has some good tips already but specifically, how the gently caress do you lose your wanted level when you have more than two stars? To use the pay and spray you have to be out of sight of the cops, and they hound you so relentlessly I figured there might be something I don't know.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

While we're on the subject of DoW2, I've got a question:

Is this it?

I mean, is the singleplayer campaign ever going to more much different than what I've seen so far? Because I'm about ten mission into the campaign (two or three missions after the not-Zerg show up), and I'm already fairly bored with it. My main complaint is that almost every mission more or less comes down to "Go over there and kill some aliens". Maps are all rather uninspired networks of canyons and/or bridges with enemies scattered throughout, and most of my time so far has been spent just making my way through it and clearing out of groups of enemies one by one. There's no sense of urgency either, since enemies are almost completely passive, most seem to be content just chilling at their programmed spot waiting for you to show up. Even the motivation for the missions themselves seems to boil down to "There's aliens in that sector, you should probably kill them". It all seems to repetitive and uninspired, especially compared to DoW1 and Company of Heroes (which has the best RTS campaign of all time).

I know this isn't a thread for ranting, but I've got to ask before I sink more time into the game: Do the singleplayer missions become better and more varied later on?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Gaggins posted:

Anything I should know about GTA 4? The wiki has some good tips already but specifically, how the gently caress do you lose your wanted level when you have more than two stars? To use the pay and spray you have to be out of sight of the cops, and they hound you so relentlessly I figured there might be something I don't know.
Not always (or often) applicable, but fairly cool when you manage it - taking a motorcycle or other vehicle into the train station and riding the tracks will eventually get rid of any wanted level. There are probably (definitely) more practical ways to go about it, but I like to mention this one.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

From Earth posted:

I know this isn't a thread for ranting, but I've got to ask before I sink more time into the game: Do the singleplayer missions become better and more varied later on?

There's a few that shake up the plan, but most of those missions are like that. It used to be worse, though - nearly every mission was in the "move from bottom corner to top corner of the map, kill boss" mold before patches.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gaggins posted:

Losing wanted levels in GTA4 is actually a lot easier than previous GTAs, simply because they'll always decay (unless it's permanently set to 5 stars by the story mission) and it is really easy to manipulate the police pursuit once you understand how it works.

When you have a wanted level, your minimap has a red/blue flashing circle that represents the area that the police are actively searching for you. This circle is centered on the last location where you were seen by a police officer, and the radius is dependent on how wanted you are. Your goal is to get out of this circle and once you're out of the circle, stay out of the sight of the police until your wanted level decays away.

The problem is that the police are chasing you. If they can see you, they're following you and the circle is constantly recentering on your current position. If they can't see you, they'll continue pursuit on your last known vector. So your goal is to speed ahead as fast as possible to get a ways out of the search area, make a sharp turn onto a side street going 90° from your original direction of travel, proceed for a bit until you're far enough away from the original route that you can't be seen and hide in an alley/backyard/swimming pool/etc. until the wanted level decays to zero.

This is hampered by the fact that in addition to the police that are actively chasing you from behind, other units are converging on your last known location from all directions. You may run into units ahead of you after you've escaped the search area and have to restart the process.

Fun fact: the wanted level that you got for blowing through a toll booth at 90 miles per hour is small enough that you're out of the search area by the time you reach the midpoint of the bridges. Short of a police cruiser already being on the road ahead of you, you'll always get away with it.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007

Anything for Bastion?

For the weapon challenges you'll most likely need to wait until you have the upgrades for most of them so if you can't finish them all first time come back later.

For the Machete Challenge stand in the middle of the arena where all the squirks spawn at the beginning and kill these before moving around the map to finish the others off.

For the shield challenge use the upgrades which makes you deal more damage when you counter, this'll help immensely along with the ability to move quicker while defending. If there's any enemies you struggle on countering you can always roll into them to damage them instead of countering, takes a while but is an easy way to get some the trickier counters.

All items you miss in game are available to buy in the Lost & Found, so don't worry too much if you've missed something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fallout 3. Read through the wiki, now looking for mods. Yeah, I know, nobody recommends using mods for a first playthrough. It's a Betsheda game though, so I'm pretty sure they can't hurt.

The Fallout 3 nexus is a bit of a pain to navigate though, so if you could let me know which mods are good/essential (particularly interested in restored /added content)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Picked up Fallout New Vegas and i've never played any of the Fallout games before. I checked the Wiki for tips on builds and weapons, but as far as general gameplay goes, any tips? Should i do the quests in each town I encounter, or will I unlock more stuff by heading straight to New Vegas then exploring at will?

Are there any particular perks for having good faction with certain towns/cities that I can screw up?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Cervixalot posted:

Picked up Fallout New Vegas and i've never played any of the Fallout games before. I checked the Wiki for tips on builds and weapons, but as far as general gameplay goes, any tips? Should i do the quests in each town I encounter, or will I unlock more stuff by heading straight to New Vegas then exploring at will?

Are there any particular perks for having good faction with certain towns/cities that I can screw up?

The game pretty much leads you towards the main storyline places you need to go to in a straight line; Specifically, it even prevents you from going to places you aren't supposed to go yet by placing high level enemies in your way that you probably won't be able to beat unless you're leveled far enough.
Unless you're trying to roleplay a specific character or do a gimmick run, I'd just ride along the main storyline quests and do all of the sidequests you can do in each town / place it'll lead you to, before moving on to the next town.
Whenever you feel like it, feel free to move off and explore peripheral places you run across every now and then. The game world in FNV is fairly large and it's not a big deal to take a break from the main storyline and just explore stuff.

As for general builds; A high INT, high AGI character with Guns and Speech skill (additionally possibly Lockpicking to have all 3 of the arguably most useful skills tagged) is probably the "powergaming" build you might want to take if you want to have most options available for most quests.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cervixalot posted:

Some of the factions will give you a safehouse with good items inside for having a good reputation but the main perk for not pissing anyone off is not being attacked on sight. Some armour is marked as faction armour which means you'll be treated as a member of that faction while wearing it so if you're ever being shot at by guys you're friendly with that'll be why. Do quests if they seem interesting I guess, most of the time your rewards will be XP and maybe some money, most of the best weapons and armour are found in out of the way places.

I'd ignore some of the stuff about survival being a crap skill to put points in since it's been made better in patches.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarding Bastion: you can't do everything in your first play so don't sweat missing stuff. It's impossible and the game was designed to be played again.

e: Regarding the machete challenge, come back when you have the thorn liquor that causes thorns to shoot out when you're injured. Run to the center and swing away. You'll be damaged by the enemies which will kill the weaker squirts. I beat it in 40 seconds on the second try.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 23, 2011

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

From Earth posted:

While we're on the subject of DoW2, I've got a question:

Is this it?

I mean, is the singleplayer campaign ever going to more much different than what I've seen so far? Because I'm about ten mission into the campaign (two or three missions after the not-Zerg show up), and I'm already fairly bored with it. My main complaint is that almost every mission more or less comes down to "Go over there and kill some aliens". Maps are all rather uninspired networks of canyons and/or bridges with enemies scattered throughout, and most of my time so far has been spent just making my way through it and clearing out of groups of enemies one by one. There's no sense of urgency either, since enemies are almost completely passive, most seem to be content just chilling at their programmed spot waiting for you to show up. Even the motivation for the missions themselves seems to boil down to "There's aliens in that sector, you should probably kill them". It all seems to repetitive and uninspired, especially compared to DoW1 and Company of Heroes (which has the best RTS campaign of all time).

There are some missions that are unique, but they are pretty much exclusively story missions, the rest of the fluff is pretty much always "go here, kill X"/"Stay here, defend Y".

I was wondering about Xenoblade. I know it's pretty new and that it's got a thread of its own, but I don't want to sift through it and potentially spoil myself because the story is pretty good so far. I've just reached the "leg" part (where you rescue the kid on the buggy).

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
So I've just started playing Vampire: Bloodlines, and I just installed the latest unofficial patch. It comes in two flavors, though, Basic (mostly bugfixes and restoring patched-out content, as I understand it), and Plus (rebalancing, a bunch of new stuff.)

I'm normally kind of a purist with regard to patches, but in this case I'm okay with installing the Plus patch if it makes the experience legitimately better. Does it? Or should I stick with the Basic version?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Foxhound posted:

I was wondering about Xenoblade. I know it's pretty new and that it's got a thread of its own, but I don't want to sift through it and potentially spoil myself because the story is pretty good so far. I've just reached the "leg" part (where you rescue the kid on the buggy).

- You have to put things into the collection by hand, it doesn't happen automatically
- Whenever you see someone with a blue dot, speak to them. What they say will change as you do more sidequests, relationships in the affinity graph change and as your affinity with the area they're in goes up.
- There are literally hundreds of side quests, though they entirely optional
- If you have a quest with a clock icon, that means that you can miss it by advancing the plot so far. I've only been through it once, but as far as I can tell, the game does warn you when you go past a point of no return.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Ashenai posted:

So I've just started playing Vampire: Bloodlines, and I just installed the latest unofficial patch. It comes in two flavors, though, Basic (mostly bugfixes and restoring patched-out content, as I understand it), and Plus (rebalancing, a bunch of new stuff.)

I'm normally kind of a purist with regard to patches, but in this case I'm okay with installing the Plus patch if it makes the experience legitimately better. Does it? Or should I stick with the Basic version?

From my understanding, the basic patch fixes the key game issues that exist, the plus patch is the modders vision of "fixing" the game to what he thinks it should have been, instead of what the creators thought it should be. When I first played the game, I was recommended to play the game with the basic patch first, and if you wanted to do subsequent playthroughs, then consider the plus patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Ashenai posted:

The general consensus is that the 'Plus' patches make the game a lot more fun and enjoyable. So yes, you should get it even if it is your first time playing.