Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did you do the USA Hockey level 1 seminar or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

Did you do the USA Hockey level 1 seminar or whatever?

Not as an assistant .. they just check to make sure you're not a pedo

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Playoff game tonight against the first place team and our second best player is being a selfish rear end in a top hat and not coming because his wife is giving birth today.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Zorkon posted:

OH! And there's a street-hockey tourney going on on the 20th if you want to bat around a ball with a hockey stick.

By the way, this was really fun. I play like Hal Gill: slow and in the way

and I got a bruise on my thigh from blocking a shot (unintentionally) :dance:

e: there's going to be another one in September. Boston-area hockey-playing goons, come on down!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

real_scud posted:

God that made me laugh.

While I used to be able to play roller hockey as a kid in similar weather (near 100F with 95% humidity) I can't imagine trying to do it now that I'm older and not so stupid.

The roller rink in Corona, CA, now called Anaheim Ducks Rinks Corona or something is so bad in the summer.

Big warehouse building in inland CA, when its 110 outside you sweat getting dressed, and the whole place is stuffy and gross, even with the warehouse doors open and the swamp coolers going, they had fans at the end of each bench that barely helped...

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bewbies posted:

In conclusion I have the decision making and survival skills of a 5 year old. An immature 5 year old.

You shouldn't give yourself too much grief, you had the ordering a sonic double cheeseburger part right (mayo I hope :colbert:).

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

lazerwolf posted:

Nothing can beat playing in 40 degree winter weather though, you never want to stop for fear of your body temp cooling down too much!

Try playing pond hockey below freezing. Well, until -15 C it's fine, actually, so long as you never stop. And you'll stupidly find yourself stripped down to a t-shirt. Any colder, and you start to keep more layers on, and even then the toes start to get cold.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

I actually would like to get into coaching, how did you do it? The leagues I played bantam and midget in are about 1200 miles away so I don't know anyone involved in youth hockey out here and their websites are less than helpful.

Also, Rob Blake is an assistant mite coach out here so I'm thinking they're probably full of volunteers.

When I was in my early 20's I had to move back to my home region in western PA for a couple of years, and some of the people that I knew through playing youth hockey were involved in different programs in the area, so I just kinda went in and said hey guys I wanna help and they said sure. The first year I was just an assistant for house league and yeah they do a background check and stuff to make sure you aren't just getting involved with kids because you're a creeper :pedo: Then I went through the USA Hockey coaching program the following season and had my own team for a couple of years in travel. Then I moved away for my second bachelors and didn't get try to back into coaching again.

It was really fun and I enjoyed it. The house league team I coached was actually a combination Peewee/Bantam and I was a 20 year old girl so I totally got asked to homecoming by one of the players (did not go). I ended up hooking the dude up with my (5 years younger than me) sister though!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anybody have some defensive advice for my beer league team? We're going up against a team that has 2 ridiculous ringers on Saturday. Both guys should not be playing down in this lower league, and their whole team strategy is to pass to one of them and let them go coast to coast and score. These 2 guys are literally their entire offense.

Last time we played them, we shutdown one of them, but the other lit us up. Any advice would be appreciated.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Anybody have some defensive advice for my beer league team? We're going up against a team that has 2 ridiculous ringers on Saturday. Both guys should not be playing down in this lower league, and their whole team strategy is to pass to one of them and let them go coast to coast and score. These 2 guys are literally their entire offense.

Last time we played them, we shutdown one of them, but the other lit us up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have the worst guy on your team get in a fight with him so they both get kicked out.

Get in passing lanes to they get the puck
Flight their sticks like crazy
If you know they wont pass, double team
Make sure your strongest wingers/D are on their side of the ice

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

This poo poo happens to us literally every game. It's so goddamn frustrating and I've written so many :qq: posts about it in this thread.

In these games I usually spend the whole game (I play RW) chasing the ringers back into our defensive zone on their rush. I find myself pinching much deeper than I usually would. I like to try to constantly stick lift them to get under their skin, even if they don't have the puck and are just camping out in the slot.

It sucks cause that usually results in their point opening up more, but usually these ringers aren't on D and in our league barely anyone can get off a decent slapper :v:

e:

poser posted:

Have the worst guy on your team get in a fight with him so they both get kicked out.

We had a guy on our team who liked to do this, but not to the extent of fighting. He'd rough them up a little bit, but just enough for them to respond with a blatant slash/shove/whatever. Offsetting penalties with their ringer in the box :science:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tell your D to not screen the goalie on shots. That is a beer league staple, it seems :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Tell your D to not screen the goalie on shots. That is a beer league staple, it seems :(

The president would be honored to have men take a bullet for him. Goalies are ingrates. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

The president would be honored to have men take a bullet for him. Goalies are ingrates. :colbert:

Except it isn't the president's job to stop bullets with his chest :colbert:

edit: Hello secret service, I hope you have an enjoyable and uneventful stay here in SAS.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Get in passing lanes to they get the puck
Flight their sticks like crazy
If you know they wont pass, double team
Make sure your strongest wingers/D are on their side of the ice

Last game, I took a double minor for boarding and body check on their best ringer. He was whining on the ground, "What the gently caress man? What the gently caress?"... Not going to do that again as I don't want to risk being tossed, but someone had to put a body on him.

All good advice... One of the ringers is a winger, the other plays D. I think for the winger one, we'll make sure to keep one D back playing center field. Not sure how to handle the D guy, other than our wings stay on him like glue. Hard to do when most of our wings can't skate worth a drat.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Martytoof posted:

Or at least tell them not to flamingo. drat euros <:mad:>

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Is flamingo where they dodge out of the way of an incoming slapper?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thel posted:

Is flamingo where they dodge out of the way of an incoming slapper?

It's when you stand up to block a shot and at the last second lift a leg out of the way because you get scared, so you are not only screening the goalie with your entire body, but only blocking your shin gard's width of the shot.

[edit]

Or this.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
But for real, this is a good example:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm glad to know there's a term for why our goalie hated me for the first half of the season (I've since broken the habit).

I still squint though. Nobody will take away my right to squint and maybe scream a little.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
Uuuuugh.

Broke two bones in my hand in a collision with another player+the goalie in a game two months ago (left hand, I'm a righty shooting right). A week and a half ago, I return to action... and two games in, I break a DIFFERENT bone in my hand in a collision with a player.

Hand injuries aren't even that common in hockey, are they? Is there something I should be doing to prevent these? (do they tend to happen because of poorly fitting gloves or something?)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

Why are roller jerseys so goddamn ugly? I swear they look like paintball jerseys.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why are roller jerseys so goddamn ugly? I swear they look like paintball jerseys.

Because the sport is "hip and edgy".

At least it was in 1996.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Because they double as paintball jerseys.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

WouldDesk posted:

Because they double as paintball jerseys.

This... or motocross jerseys. This team I played against when I played roller was made up of a bunch of motocross guys, and their jerseys were these awful, horrible neon green abominations. They also wore those David Lee Roth Van Halen pants with tiger stripes and poo poo...

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

It looks like he's wearing pajamas.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

sba posted:

Because the sport is "hip and edgy".

At least it was in 1996.
Like rollerblades!

(I play roller. It's fun and accessible, god drat it. Although most of the jerseys are silly as hell.)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

D C posted:

People seriously do this?

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

D C posted:

Which is kind of funny, cause you're way more likely to get hurt doing that than if you just blocked it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Which is kind of funny, cause you're way more likely to get hurt doing that than if you just blocked it.

Yeah. I find it pretty funny what people will do when blocking shots that actually increases their risk of injury. Standing up straight and facing it head on is probably one of the safest ways to do it (admittedly, I will hover a hand over my crotch in these instances) as you lower body is very well protected from the front, and the two places where you could legitimately be hurt are both on your feet (which I'm sure is one reason this so-called 'flamingo' is so common). I see so many players turn slightly sideways, raise a leg flamingo-style (which opens up a nice spot on / above your knee), etc...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

D C posted:

It's when you stand up to block a shot and at the last second lift a leg out of the way because you get scared, so you are not only screening the goalie with your entire body, but only blocking your shin gard's width of the shot.

[edit]

Or this.

Yes, this too. If you're going to screen me, at least stand there and don't get out of the way at the last possible second :mad:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
This is why I play wing. If I'm screening the goalie I'm doing something very wrong. My team has me always up protecting the points/sideboards

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Martytoof posted:

Yes, this too. If you're going to screen me, at least stand there and don't get out of the way at the last possible second :mad:

By the way, if I bring my gear to the Hammer this xmas you up for playing?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

Yeah. I find it pretty funny what people will do when blocking shots that actually increases their risk of injury. Standing up straight and facing it head on is probably one of the safest ways to do it (admittedly, I will hover a hand over my crotch in these instances) as you lower body is very well protected from the front, and the two places where you could legitimately be hurt are both on your feet (which I'm sure is one reason this so-called 'flamingo' is so common). I see so many players turn slightly sideways, raise a leg flamingo-style (which opens up a nice spot on / above your knee), etc...

This, and if you fake a shot and the guy flamingos he's also given you an easy walk-around since he's basically given you a step.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

D C posted:

By the way, if I bring my gear to the Hammer this xmas you up for playing?

Sure. There are plenty of shinnies, and if you're bored on a Tuesday you can probably come play with my Tuesday squad since we're usually down to one sub or less on each bench.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Are there any good rec hockey forums I should be following?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace you're a SoCal hockey player, right?

Have you ever heard the IceAngeles league played out of the Harbor City rink near Torrence?

Thinking of checking it out -- anything to avoid Toyota Sports Center.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Ace you're a SoCal hockey player, right?

Have you ever heard the IceAngeles league played out of the Harbor City rink near Torrence?

Thinking of checking it out -- anything to avoid Toyota Sports Center.

Yeah I heard of it but there really isn't much info on it on their site, and I haven't had a chance to call the guy yet and ask how it works, if there is just a FA list, a draft skate or if you just need to find someone. I've been trying to get down there for a pick up but the times haven't been working out for me.

I'll actually be at the TSC tomorrow for their Stick/Puck at 1245 unless I decide to hit up Glacial Gardens at 1050.

I learned to skate at the Skating Edge (Harbor City Rink) when I was a kid but I haven't been there in 10 years so I don't know if they've fixed the ice.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Blew a 4-0 lead to the first place team and lost 7-5(one empty net) and we were eliminated from the playoffs:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Well my team is officially out this season. We trucked through the round robin and surprisingly won both games but unfortunately lost last night to a tough opponent which ended our summer season. The other team wasn't actually that good, they just have a player who used to play for the Oshawa Generals that just steamrolls through the entire opposition line and scores on some ridiculous shots. It sucks but what can you do?

I'll be using these next few weeks before our winter season starts to get my calf checked out as I tweaked it pretty good at the begining of the season and it's been hurting ever since.

God I love hockey. How about you?