Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Finally got out onto the ice last night, few of the people I play inline with rent out a rink every week. Been wanting to play for awhile but finally got the rest of my gear pants/elbows/shoulders at a cheap used sale the other day. It was a lot of fun, definitely feel like I already had more control over my skating, stopping wise, than on inline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm waiting for our playoffs to start, since we were the first place team coming out of the regular season we got a bye this week so we dont play until next monday.

Its been about 3 weeks between our last game and the next which is killing me, but Im really looking forward to it and hoping not to get bumped out in our first go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Yeah I heard of it but there really isn't much info on it on their site, and I haven't had a chance to call the guy yet and ask how it works, if there is just a FA list, a draft skate or if you just need to find someone. I've been trying to get down there for a pick up but the times haven't been working out for me.

I'll actually be at the TSC tomorrow for their Stick/Puck at 1245 unless I decide to hit up Glacial Gardens at 1050.

I learned to skate at the Skating Edge (Harbor City Rink) when I was a kid but I haven't been there in 10 years so I don't know if they've fixed the ice.

When I officiated there a few seasons ago I would put the ice below TSC but above Pickwick rink in Burbank.

If you find out info let me know. I am going to try contacting them as well

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I'm making my own broomball stick -- what sort of glue should I use to anchor the head to the shaft? It's an aluminum lacrosse shaft and some sort of plastic head. Would any sort of universal bonding agent work is there something that will work better in a rink environment?

Also, I fell in a collision and got a really bad hip pointer so I'm looking into some sort of player girdle -- what's cheap and offers some protection? It's a no contact league but the ice surface never got that memo :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I'm making my own broomball stick -- what sort of glue should I use to anchor the head to the shaft? It's an aluminum lacrosse shaft and some sort of plastic head. Would any sort of universal bonding agent work is there something that will work better in a rink environment?

Also, I fell in a collision and got a really bad hip pointer so I'm looking into some sort of player girdle -- what's cheap and offers some protection? It's a no contact league but the ice surface never got that memo :smith:

Go to a local sporting goods store and look at baseball sliding pants (like boxer breifs with slight hip padding). I think they also make them for soccer and football.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Well... it seems the hockey season is only a few weeks away and I failed at my plan to stay active this summer. Hold onto your butts for the sweet, sweet disappointment of the first 2-4 games. If I stop posting, I died on the bench.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Well... it seems the hockey season is only a few weeks away and I failed at my plan to stay active this summer. Hold onto your butts for the sweet, sweet disappointment of the first 2-4 games. If I stop posting, I died on the bench.

As long as you die in Jagrs arms.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

As long as you die in Jagrs arms.
I'll probably die in the arms of the worst player on the team coaching me on how to be better.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

If anyone in the NY&LI area is interested in playing, a bunch of guys dropped out from my ice team. The rink is World Ice Arena in Flushing Meadows Park, right next to the USTA National Tennis Center. Fall season runs mid-September through mid-December, 12 games plus playoffs. Shoot me a message if interested.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
What blows me away is that theres people here playing together all over the place, but no one in Vancouver, I guess every here is too busy eating sushi and hiking or something.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

What blows me away is that theres people here playing together all over the place, but no one in Vancouver, I guess every here is too busy eating sushi and hiking or something.

Isn't that the thing to do up there? Smoke drugs and have a sushi picnic on a trail? And throw poo poo at buildings.

This lack of hockey in Oklahoma is going to be the death of me. I back cars out of the two car garage, strap on some sweet classic Mission skate, grasp a sweet Nike aluminum shaft and grab the tennis balls. Iron Maiden on obviously. I really need to join a league but I would prefer to do roller at this time and well, I mentioned I am in Oklahoma so...

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

D C posted:

Hey, I like sushi and hiking... :(

I used to play a lot of ball hockey but I'm finally taking the leap and learning how to skate. Still having issues hockey stopping on my weak side though, and backwards crossovers are giving me nightmares. Can't wait til september rolls by though because open skate at richmond ice center runs from 9am til 3pm so i have lots of time to work on things.

Still need to grab my own gear though and money's pretty tight, you have any idea where to get good used gear around the greater vancouver area?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Angry Asian posted:

Hey, I like sushi and hiking... :(

I used to play a lot of ball hockey but I'm finally taking the leap and learning how to skate. Still having issues hockey stopping on my weak side though, and backwards crossovers are giving me nightmares. Can't wait til september rolls by though because open skate at richmond ice center runs from 9am til 3pm so i have lots of time to work on things.

Still need to grab my own gear though and money's pretty tight, you have any idea where to get good used gear around the greater vancouver area?

Oh poo poo, yeah I was gonna say if you were up for some help I live 10 minutes from RIC. They have stick and puck from 9am to 3pm monday thru friday.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone play on any roller or ice leagues in the Cleveland area (Ohio)?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyone play on any roller or ice leagues in the Cleveland area (Ohio)?
3 hours away in Ann Arbor here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What do you do when your goalie shows up hammered drunk and gives up 5 softies?

Why, gang-rape of course!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 26, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Whats with the one white and one yellow sock?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It was a throwaway consolation game after we got knocked out of the playoffs. We don't normally dress like assholes. We wear our yellows with the black jerseys.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Angry Asian posted:

Still having issues hockey stopping on my weak side though, and backwards crossovers are giving me nightmares.

If you can do a hockey stop, on any side, then your backwards crossovers should be within reach. The day I felt comfortable hockey stopping was the day I learned backwards crossovers: hockey stop and from the stopped position (skates parallel) push off with your back foot. For me, the rest felt really natural and I was able to push off with my back foot, then with my leading foot, then back foot and so forth.

Give it a shot as I'm curious how this works for you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

19 o'clock posted:

If you can do a hockey stop, on any side, then your backwards crossovers should be within reach. The day I felt comfortable hockey stopping was the day I learned backwards crossovers: hockey stop and from the stopped position (skates parallel) push off with your back foot. For me, the rest felt really natural and I was able to push off with my back foot, then with my leading foot, then back foot and so forth.

Give it a shot as I'm curious how this works for you.

Additionally: one big thing that helped me transition into backward crossovers was learning how to glide backward on one foot. Going forward like this was never a problem, but going backward I felt like my balance was all off - especially if I tried curving to one side. Once I got to the point where I was comfortable doing this, backward crossovers came naturally.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Biomechanically, backwards crossovers are very different from forwards crossovers, so while you'd think the skills would translate, they really don't.

When you do a forward crossover, the foot that does most of the motion is the crossing foot. Your outside foot will reach across your inside foot while your inside foot pushes off.

Backwards, this process is inverted, and so a common mistake among people learning for the first time is to replicate the forward crossover and try to step across the inside foot with the outside foot. This will get you on your rear end in a hurry. Your first step should not be to reach across with the outside foot, but to reach in with the inside foot. Once you've done that you pull your inside foot back towards your body to generate power while stepping across it with the outside foot. Through this process the crossing (outside) foot stays relatively in line with your direction of motion compared to a forward crossover.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 27, 2011

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUaVGu7drs

This video (posted a while ago I think) actually helped me, plus its old and funny. The part where Lief does the little drill of stepping over his feet going sideways, as soon as I did that the backwards crossover just clicked for me. Before that I couldn't wrap my head around what to do with my feet.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Green Submarine posted:

Biomechanically, backwards crossovers are very different from forwards crossovers, so while you'd think the skills would translate, they really don't.

When you do a forward crossover, the foot that does most of the motion is the crossing foot. Your outside foot will reach across your inside foot while your inside foot pushes off.

Backwards, this process is inverted, and so a common mistake among people learning for the first time is to replicate the forward crossover and try to step across the inside foot with the outside foot. This will get you on your rear end in a hurry. Your first step should not be to reach across with the outside foot, but to reach in with the inside foot. Once you've done that you pull your inside foot back towards your body to generate power while stepping across it with the outside foot. Through this process the crossing (outside) foot stays relatively in line with your direction of motion compared to a forward crossover.

Yeah, this is spot on. And it reminds me of something that is incredibly useful knowledge!

One thing that forwards should be trying to do s make the d-man do a cross over, either by changing direction or speed. The reason why, is simple: the d-man in this case has momentum going whatever way he crosses over, allowing you to take advantage of that, ie, by going the opposite direction. Basically, you now know where the d-man is going, and he has no choice but to keep going that way. For that reason, d-men need to avoid doing this.

That split second of knowledge, once learned, can be the difference between getting a pass, shot, or dangle through, or failing miserably. One place it works wonders is, in a no-check league, when you gain the zone, cut to the middle (of course, in a checking league, the d-man might intentionally try to get you to cut to the middle so his partner can lay you the gently caress out). If the d-man crosses over to take away your lane to the net, cut back to the direction you were going, the d-man will be forced to pivot against his direction of movement, and then make a play, be it a pass, shot, or quick drive to the net if you've got space. This area of the ice, with an open lane might not seem like a great shooting area, but it has one huge advantage: the delay caused by cutting twice allows your other forwards time to get to the front of the net, preferably outside the far post, and a low far side shot, while unlikely to beat the goalie, frequently leads to rebounds going right to the area this forward should be. It's like a bank pass, but off the goalie!

tldr: d-men, don't do crossovers other than for when you're initially starting to skate back (for acceleration). Forwards, try to make the d-men do crossovers, as it will open ice up for you if you know how to take advantage of it.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Minister Robathan posted:

tldr: d-men, don't do crossovers other than for when you're initially starting to skate back (for acceleration). Forwards, try to make the d-men do crossovers, as it will open ice up for you if you know how to take advantage of it.

Seconded as an excellent tip. If you're a d-man and you are routinely getting smoked one-on-one it's usually either because you're crossing over too much, or because you're puck watching. Shuffle to keep your line (which should have your outside shoulder even with your opponent's chest) and keep your eyes planted on the logo and you'll be much harder to beat.

Another fun trick is to begin any one-on-one with your stick in your top hand and your top hand at your side, rather than in front of you. Forwards will often underestimate your reach and wander into easy poke-check range. Incidentally, always poke check, never sweep check on a one-on-one. Same principle as the crossover prohibition: if you miss, your momentum will commit you to one side giving the forward an easy lane on the other.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I pee my pants in glee when a D-man swipes at me. Easy drag back and bang I'm gone. Love it so much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I pee my pants in glee when a D-man swipes at me. Easy drag back and bang I'm gone. Love it so much.

You love soggy urine soaked underwear?

Forwards are weird.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

New reason not to sweep check: the forward who blows past you might also drip piss on you.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I like when I accidentally make a good play and everyone's like 'nice play man' and im just like "Yeah :smug:". Like in pickup today there's this notoriously good stickhandler on the other team and he was about to blow right past me so I turned to go with him and kind of lost my balance a bit and so I lost control of my stick for second and poke-checked the puck right off his stick, off the boards and back to myself as he skated right by

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Vital Signs posted:

3 hours away in Ann Arbor here.

You in the league? I know the Goon Squad (D-II) pretty well.
There are a few of us in that/those leagues

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

You love soggy urine soaked underwear?

Forwards are weird.

Why do you think I was asking for pant suggestions a page or two ago?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
We just got crushed 15-0. In a never/ever league.

I don't know what it is about people where they really like to beat up on players who have just learned to skate.

Don't be that guy. It makes you a douche.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Today I bought all my gear and it was fun. Total price for my hockey gear this summer came to about $680. But I splurged a bit on the gloves and the skates were $180. All my gear is new and I'm super pumped!!!!

I also decided to go with a full cage for various reasons. A lot of which being people are bad, I'm bad, I like my face.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Alizee posted:

I also decided to go with a full cage for various reasons. A lot of which being people are bad, I'm bad, I like my face.

Are you getting paid to play hockey? No? Wear a full cage.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Are you getting paid to play hockey? No? Wear a full cage.

more like "are you a frat bro who's obsessed with machismo? if not, wear a full cage."

at least that's what it's like at my rink, which requires a full cage. bros love to bitch about that requirement, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I first started playing hockey, there was a guy on our team who bitched and bitched about having to wear a cage. How it hurt his visibility.

Now imagine this guy stepping onto the ice and barely being able to skate, being the guy who would routinely slam into the boards because he wasn't able to hockey stop.

But the cage, bro. The cage!

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Half the guys in my league don't even wear a visor. The other half is split between visors and full cages. The only issue we run into is it's pretty lol when two cages start throwing punches at each other.

The only times I've almost had my bell rung by a puck where my own fault from dangling my stick loosely while blocking a slap shot from the point. Both times it unexpectedly hit my shaft and popped up into my visor.

On the other hand I would love to find some anti-fog that will last me a whole 90 minute game (3 x 15 minute). Most of the off the shelf stuff holds up fine for the first two periods but I usually end up fogging terribly in the third.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Cages make me feel desperately claustrophobic so I just wear a visor(which I still pull up off my face on the bench)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I've had opponent's sticks, goalie sticks, and even some of my own teammates sticks all smack my visor before a puck even came close...
Once you play for a couple games with it you hardly notice it anymore

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I took a puck in the cage last game on a defensive clear. It would have been 10 teeth if I didn't have it. I will always wear a cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
My first game in my current league I took two sticks and a puck to the cage... in my first two shifts. Never dropping the cage after that.

Although I'm considering the shield/cage combo... gotta look like a Mighty Ducks villain.