Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

there's some weird story of his i cant remember where some space boyscouts are stranded on some planet as part of their survival training and something gets hosed up and they're marooned there for years and omg bootstraps

tunnel in the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Amethyst posted:

my GF

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

this is me

there's some weird story of his i cant remember where some space boyscouts are stranded on some planet as part of their survival training and something gets hosed up and they're marooned there for years and omg bootstraps

Sounds like one of his juvenile novels.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

citizen of the galaxy has a few good parts, but it's almost entirely bootstrap libertarianism.

i guess that describes most heinlein books though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mr_jim posted:

Sounds like one of his juvenile novels.

yes, i said it was heinlein already, there's no need to belabor the point

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
holy poo poo Farnham's Freehold. I'd blocked that book from memory, it's a long, gross fantasy of an incestuous old man.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that book came up when the dude from slate was interviewing me about my album. he asked if i read a lot of apocalyptic fiction and i rattled off a few that i'd read including that one, and he was all "lol you mean the one where the scary future world is ruled by black people?" and i laughed my rear end off because i hadn't even remembered that

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
kirk somebody dropped off what looks like every TNG episode on VHS at the value village on mayfield by 170th street, fyi. :thumbsup:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

iamthejeff posted:

kirk somebody dropped off what looks like every TNG episode on VHS at the value village on mayfield by 170th street, fyi. :thumbsup:

bitch pls i already have every episode of tng what kind of nerd do you think i am

a sloppy one??

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
call me when someone drops off that vhs series of the original movies where you line em up and its the enterprise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i read starship troopers several years ago and thought 'ehhh, i guess its an okay pulpy book. dunno why internet nerds get so outraged about the movie though.*'

then i read 'the moon is a harsh mistress' last year and was all 'ehhh, it's kind of lolbertarian and he's bad with women, but it's a fun pulpy look at how a lunar colony could rebel. okay.'

then i read 'stranger in a strange land' and thought 'shiiiiiit, this guy is messed up and way too full of himself.'

so yeah i'm glad i read some heinlein but i think i'm done with him.

one of my friends gave me one of those honor harrington books, it was pretty bad. like the dude writes a good space battle but his fiction politics are so grossly and totally unsubtle, and the title character is embarrassingly perfect (except for allegedly not being very pretty, except still attractive to someone with good taste, and of course she's a total babe on the cover) and is so incredibly super-special that she gets to bend the rules and have a cat that goes with her on her military starship command worth like a billion spacedollars or whatever.

i simultaneously was sad and glad that i had not read the book when i was twelve, because on the one hand i would have completely ate it up at that age, but on the other hand i would have been really embarrassed in retrospect for getting into such a childish series.

(* this is false, i actually know exactly why internet nerds get huffy about it: because they didn't get to see little mini-battlemechs jumping around and hurling mini-nukes all over the drat place

or they have terrible ideas about politics)

Kirk posted:

call me when someone drops off that vhs series of the original movies where you line em up and its the enterprise

man i remember that, that was boss

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

because they didn't get to see little mini-battlemechs jumping around and hurling mini-nukes all over the drat place

this is why im mad about everything

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

hey what about peter f. hamilton

what about him?

right?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

piers.
anthony.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

this is why im mad about everything

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Coffee Quack posted:

piers.
anthony.

reposting this:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coffee Quack posted:

piers.
anthony.

loving.
sucks.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Coffee Quack posted:

piers.
anthony.

panty.
flashes.

goddamn, those books are awful, and I am pretty embarrassed i've read entirely too many of them

Kirk posted:

My uncle has these

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

loving.
sucks.

well yes the topic came round to amazingly creepy authors one may have read when younger,

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is piers anthony actually creepy? i just remember him as being excruciatingly bad. maybe i blocked those bits from memory, in which case tyvm brain

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh right but on the creepy/horrible axis lol l. ron hubbard

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mr_jim posted:

citizen of the galaxy has a few good parts, but it's almost entirely bootstrap libertarianism.

i guess that describes most heinlein books though.

is that the one where the kid who turns out to be the heir of a gigantic fortune does alright for himself?

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

JawnV6 posted:

is that the one where the kid who turns out to be the heir of a gigantic fortune does alright for himself?

that's the one. also, space gypsies.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FEMA summer camp posted:

hey what about peter f. hamilton

what about him?

right?
I read 'The Reality Dysfunction' last week, umpty-hundred pages with more characters than you can keep track of and the end of the book doesn't even attempt to wrap things up; nope, straight on to the next breezeblock sized publication 'The Neutronium Alchemist'... I don't think I care enough.

I'm rereading Peter Watts' 'Blindsight' again which is much more fun; available as a freebie download if you don't mind ebooks.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I read 'The Reality Dysfunction' last week, umpty-hundred pages with more characters than you can keep track of and the end of the book doesn't even attempt to wrap things up;

yeah he's not the best at endings, I just finished the void trilogy and had to re-read parts to clear up wtf happened at the end, the rest was tits though

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
just finished eon and it was pretty good

probably gonna finish the first foundation bc i didn't like it first time round and didn't finish it.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

probably gonna finish the first foundation
:smugdog:

quote:

bc i didn't like it first time round
:staredog:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kirk sperg out about episodes of random star trek series that you hate

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i hate to be a wet blanket but i've been coping w/ depression and havent had the creative energy to do poo poo lately so welp~

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
the high cost of being canadian

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Trig Discipline posted:

is piers anthony actually creepy?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

the title font is desperately trying to hide the fact that yes, that word is "panties".

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

*in the terminal bookstore, 5 minutes before boarding*

"i need a book to read, let's see, 'color of herdanites'. whatever, i'm sure it has dragons and poo poo"

*on the plane*

"noooooooooo"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duTrieux posted:

"i need a book to read, let's see, 'color of herdanites'. whatever, i'm sure it has dragons and poo poo"

*on the plane*

"noooooooooo"

lol

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kirk posted:

:staredog:

it's so loving boring

asimov writes some hella uninteresting characters which isn't helped by the time jumps

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux posted:

*on the plane*

"noooooooooo"

lol

also i didn't read that book so if that's the creepiest one that would be why i didn't remember him being creepy. i read like the first three xanth books and said "this is garbage" then read nothing else by him for twenty years. friends kept telling me that the incarnations series was totally different and amazing so i finally read it and SURPRISE, it's not. i mean it's no doubt his best work but i'm sure franklin dropped a deuce in the cat box once that he thinks was his "best" too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait that image isn't a photoshop? someone literally wrote and had published a book titled "the color of her PANTIES"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

yes. it's real.
i used to read tons of things as a kid up until i ran into these then mysteriously gave up on books for some time after.

why they were around the house and not in the fireplace was anyones guess

• Locked thread