Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The impression I get is that Mero was world class at contract negotiation, but rarely more than passable in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

The impression I get is that Mero was world class at contract negotiation, but rarely more than passable in the ring.

He was a drat good worker in WCW. I'm pretty sure injuries slowed him down and the WWF started focusing on his boxing background, which did no favours for him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

2. How is Marc Mero generally regarded as a wrestler? I first started watching heavily in '97 after he was already injured and switching into his TKO/heel persona, having fights with Butterbean and getting Sable bombed. I've since gone back and watched earlier WWF and WCW, but I still don't really have an opinion on the guy.

I've seen his Johnny B. Badd wackiness and his time as the Wildman, but for the life of me I can't remember much of anything regarding his actual wrestling ability. It seems like his high flying stuff might have stood out in the dire WWF midcard at that time, so is he a case of a career cut short by injury, or was he never that remarkable in the first place?

Marc Mero is generally considered to be not very good/awful at wrestling depending on who you ask.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mero was athletic but not a good wrestler. He was seemingly never trained to wrestle, just work as Johnny B Badd and even in WCW he was average in dthe ring.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I thought Mero was decent worker until he went with the boxing gimmick which severely limited his move set.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

triplexpac posted:

They completely did have screw job main events, yeah.

I may be wrong, but I always felt like it was done in a way that didn't leave you feeling too pissed off. Pretty much all the PPVs were part of the McMahon-Austin feud, there was no way they could wrap things up neatly at the end of every PPV and people knew that.

Almost single Raw ended with a cliffhanger, and the PPVs followed suit. It was just part of the Attitude Era, it worked then for some reason.

I think the best example is the McMahon / Austin steel cage match, where Paul Wight debuts. It ended in a screwjob and a huge "TUNE INTO RAW TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!" moment, but holy gently caress, did we get our moneys' worth during that match. They gave us everything that we ever wanted, and then when the screwjob finish was tacked on at the end, it actually made the whole thing even more exciting.

I wonder how the IWC reacted to it?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Tyma posted:

I think the best example is the McMahon / Austin steel cage match, where Paul Wight debuts. It ended in a screwjob and a huge "TUNE INTO RAW TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!" moment, but holy gently caress, did we get our moneys' worth during that match. They gave us everything that we ever wanted, and then when the screwjob finish was tacked on at the end, it actually made the whole thing even more exciting.

Don't forget that the semi-main of that PPV was the Mankind/Rock Last Man Standing match, which ended in a no-contest. It was a great match, but they gave you a screwy finish and "WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN NEXT?!"

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Felony posted:

I thought Mero was decent worker until he went with the boxing gimmick which severely limited his move set.

I thought that was the idea because his knees were shot and he couldn't really do his high flying stuff as much.

I liked him more as his boxer gimmick. I HATED the Wildman.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

MisterGBH posted:

I thought that was the idea because his knees were shot and he couldn't really do his high flying stuff as much.

I liked him more as his boxer gimmick. I HATED the Wildman.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hated the Little Richard gimmick.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tyma posted:

Depends on where in the IWC you went.

The place I used to post back then hated hardcore on those finishes, but they also kind of took a, "It's the WWF. It's not like I have high expectations" attitude. They watched WWF solely for entertaining storylines and watched Japan and Mexico for good pro wrestling.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
What is Cody Rhodes's ceiling? He has a great look, has shown ability with vastly different characters and seems (to my untrained eye) to be at least a competent worker. I think he's great (mostly because of his American Psycho impression) but I don't know where he's headed long-term.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's doing a lot of good things but I think he would best be suited to a long and successful IC Title run, it's way too early for him to be a main eventer. I see a bright future for him though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

He's doing a lot of good things but I think he would best be suited to a long and successful IC Title run, it's way too early for him to be a main eventer. I see a bright future for him though.

As long as he doesn't blow up like his dad and brother.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Cody going fat would be great. It'd be like Mac from It's Always Sunny.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He would probably set world records for fastest time to ruined knees/number of knee injuries, given his refusal to wear pads.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm seeing a Daniel Bryan/Cody Rhodes feud that elevates both wrestlers and introduces them to the main card... but, you know, WWE.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm just sad we never got a Goldust vs Cody Rhodes match. I seriously was hoping when Cody was going out of his mind that Goldust in a moment of clarity would try and help his brother and just get a good feud out of them. It sounds good in my head as far as a match up goes.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't know. Adrian Adonis could still go when he was fat.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I'm seeing a Daniel Bryan/Cody Rhodes feud that elevates both wrestlers and introduces them to the main card... but, you know, WWE.

They tried that feud and it went nowhere. I can't really take Cody seriously while he's acting like Dr. Doom, either. I don't see that "Star" look, like other guys have. Randy Orton had to really work at it, because he was just as skinny as Rhodes was for a long time, too.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I don't know. Adrian Adonis could still go when he was fat.

Adonis was considered one of the better workers of his era, pre-fat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Flameingblack posted:

They tried that feud and it went nowhere. I can't really take Cody seriously while he's acting like Dr. Doom, either. I don't see that "Star" look, like other guys have. Randy Orton had to really work at it, because he was just as skinny as Rhodes was for a long time, too.

Randy also had everyone on the WWE payroll publically heralding him as a future star pretty much right away, even when it was obvious how green he was. Not that I got sick of hearing it or anything.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
After knowing what Hulk Hogan is capable of from his work in Japan, does the IWC gain a bit of respect for his ringwork or hate him more for knowing how to be a good worker and choosing not to?

Mark Henry, for example, has gotten a lot of flack throughout his career for questionable ringwork but has improved a great deal over the years and is always trying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

budreck posted:

After knowing what Hulk Hogan is capable of from his work in Japan, does the IWC gain a bit of respect for his ringwork or hate him more for knowing how to be a good worker and choosing not to?

Mark Henry, for example, has gotten a lot of flack throughout his career for questionable ringwork but has improved a great deal over the years and is always trying.

The big problem with Hulk Hogan is his back stage stuff and that is where most of the hate comes from. The fact that he is doing the minimal amount of work possible just makes him worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Hogan was not some magically better worker in Japan. He was working a more demanding style and tried harder facing better wrestlers during his athletic prime. Compare that to to his athletic peak in the WWF where he faced a lot of bad workers and knew he didn't have to try. He always knew how to "work" he just wasn't very good for the most part. In Japan he worked to the best of his abilities and it mostly resulted in decent to good matches, not good to great.

As for Mark Henry, he has not improved at all. He's still clumsy as hell, hard to work with and looks horrible taking offense. He's just been booked better in the last two months.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

budreck posted:

I don't know how much of it is him choosing. Vince McMahon seemed to have it ingrained in many of his main eventers not to push themselves too hard or else they would burn out too quick. Hogan hustled when he was an up and coming heel in the WWWF and he also hustled in AWA. It wasn't until he went to the WWF that he became quite formulaic and let the heel do most of the work with punching him as he sloppily sold before his comeback. He then just continued it for the rest of his career, with exception to whenever he had to goto Japan.

Hogan vs. Inoki is still one of my favourite puro matches. Maybe it's not that great when compared to other matches but it's a personal favourite. I just imagine if we got that Hulk in the WWF as a heel and someone else like Savage or Piper or Backlund was the babyface, how different things would be.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MassRayPer posted:

looks horrible taking offense.

This is something that I remember being a major bone of contention with my friends whenever we had discussions about pro wrestlers. I am by no stretch of the imagination a Mark Henry fan, but how the hell does he get better at selling offense without it looking absolutely ridiculous? I don't buy a man like that trying to sell clotheslines like Rikishi.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

balancedbias posted:

This is something that I remember being a major bone of contention with my friends whenever we had discussions about pro wrestlers. I am by no stretch of the imagination a Mark Henry fan, but how the hell does he get better at selling offense without it looking absolutely ridiculous? I don't buy a man like that trying to sell clotheslines like Rikishi.

I was always impressed with how well Brock Lesnar could sell, but pissed a guy like Brock Lesnar, who should have been an unstoppable monster, was selling his rear end off.

The only time a monster really needs to sell is in the last match of a brutal feud and the babyface is taking it home. Then he can throw in a major sell or two to pop the crowd and make himself look vulnerable.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The most impressive thing Mark Henry has ever done in a wrestling ring is be F-5'ed by Lesnar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

balancedbias posted:

It isn't his selling, it is his ability to actually perform moves his opponents do to him.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I watched the 2001 Royal Rumble last night which got me thinking. How did they go from feuds like Triple H/Angle, Triple H/Austin, Undertaker & Kane teaming to Triple H/Undertaker, Rock/Austin, Kane/Big Show/Raven and Angle/Benoit at WrestleMania X7?

Did anything ever come of a Big Show/Rock feud since Big Show put him through the announce table at the rumble after getting eliminated? How did Rock get a title shot at No Way Out and beat Angle? Did the Triple H/Angle feud ever really end? I'm assuming the 3 stages of hell match was the culmination to Austin/Triple H but it seems to me that blow off would've been suited better for WrestleMania.

Was it just a case of running out of time and knowing that the money match was Rock/Austin again? Normally feuds start at the Rumble or earlier and WrestleMania is the big payoff for those. Here it seemed rushed or things just got forgot about? Hopefully this makes some sense. Sorry it's lot's of questions and kind of ranty, unfortunately I don't have access to any RAW or Smackdown from this era to answer these myself.

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

the holocaust literally never happened
kinda got me thinking with the mvp streak and also the gay rear end crimson tna winning streak thing

is there any legitimate website with won/lost records? i understand that its not a real sport but i would love to see something where we could compare who the wrestler with the highest winning percentage in the last 20 years is

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Swamp Rapist posted:

kinda got me thinking with the mvp streak and also the gay rear end crimson tna winning streak thing

is there any legitimate website with won/lost records? i understand that its not a real sport but i would love to see something where we could compare who the wrestler with the highest winning percentage in the last 20 years is

The Wrestling Accelerator ( http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/index2.html ) keeps count of W/Ls at PPVs to some extent, though they are often a year or more out of date. I think that site is one guy though.

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Wrestling Accelerator ( http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/index2.html ) keeps count of W/Ls at PPVs to some extent, though they are often a year or more out of date. I think that site is one guy though.

would love to know overall, i've found ppv stats, but overall would be fantastic. i know theres somebody who spergs over this poo poo that has those numbers

but thanks

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Swamp Rapist posted:

would love to know overall, i've found ppv stats, but overall would be fantastic. i know theres somebody who spergs over this poo poo that has those numbers

but thanks

This one's got a lot of match history and stuff: http://profightdb.com/

but obviously it's missing really obscure or really old poo poo. I don't think the win-loss records are super accurate, but it should be pretty close.

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

in the absence of complete records, as a secondary question, who in the wwe has the best winning percentage in the last 20 years? Cena? who the hell knows?

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

this is a question from my 5 year old which im not able to answer so its driving me nuts. he believes w/l records are important

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Last 20 years going by that site looks to be either Ultimate Warrior or Bobby Lashley. Lashley, of course, had many more matches than Warrior in the past 20 years.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
http://profightdb.com/wrestlers-with-highest-wwwf-wwf-wwe-win-percentages.html

Warrior

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

Lloyd Boner posted:

Last 20 years going by that site looks to be either Ultimate Warrior or Bobby Lashley. Lashley, of course, had many more matches than Warrior in the past 20 years.

i said 20 to discount warrior... im talking from austin 3:16 onwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

this is great, thank you