Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You know, I may be drunk, but instead of remaking Deus Ex with this quality of engine and commitment to getting the game's setting as Human Revolution was, why not fully wipe away the stain of disappointment and remake Invisible War?

It would take effort to make it work, but picture this: have the Invisible War remake initial Central Hub / Tutorial Setting (roughly on par in terms of size and complexity as Picus be in Area 51, staring JC Denton. Teaches players how to play, as well as giving them a quick-and-dirty understanding of the original DX's plot.

Now, I actually thought the "All three DX endings were combined into one ending for IW" thing was fairly clever, myself*. So keep that: have the overarching story be that JC was merging weith Helios, things went pear shaped, yadda yadda yadda, all three endings kinda wound up happening.

Then remake IW however the hell you want to do it. I think it could work.

* I'm equally fond of the Dragon Break thing that happened in the Elder Scrolls. "Which ending happened? Well, the God of Time got really drunk, so all of them happened. Yeah, just roll with it, the God of Time is over there throwing up and yelling about something, so he's not talking right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008
Dumb question answered a thousand times for the most active thread ever: Will hacking a turret to clear out a room count against the no-kills achievement?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Dumb question answered a thousand times for the most active thread ever: Will hacking a turret to clear out a room count against the no-kills achievement?

Yes. As will killing people in the tutorial when all it gives you is an assault rifle and no takedowns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A goon was saying in the PS3 Games thread, that headshotting someone with the tranq gun will kill them too. People in the Deus Ex universe are sissies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Wait, seriously?! Goddamn it, that's going to make a Pacifist run really a pain in the rear end. I thought that tranq to the head was just the quickest way of doing it. How annoying.

MisterBibs posted:

You know, I may be drunk, but instead of remaking Deus Ex with this quality of engine and commitment to getting the game's setting as Human Revolution was, why not fully wipe away the stain of disappointment and remake Invisible War?

Eh, I agree in the sense that I really loving hope this game does well enough to get us a sequel to the original, and not another sequel-prequel, but Invisible War should just be thrown out as "not being canon" and forgotten.

precision fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 27, 2011

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly
I've been searching for sales numbers for days now. I just hope to loving god that this game makes Eidos lots and lots of money, so we get more games. It's be great if this was the bestselling game of 2011 or whatever - I could see it really raising the bar for FPS-RPG's in general. But that's never going to happen. Sob.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Invisible War had some great ideas. I wouldn't at all blink at the prospect of having it be canon.

The gameplay was the problem with Invisible War, not the fiction.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

I said come in! posted:

A goon was saying in the PS3 Games thread, that headshotting someone with the tranq gun will kill them too. People in the Deus Ex universe are sissies.

What? I only used it early on but I'm pretty sure I was getting the mercy bonus while I was doing exactly that. Going to double check but yeah, this sounds like bullshit.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Yes. As will killing people in the tutorial when all it gives you is an assault rifle and no takedowns.

Skimming through this thread I noticed a lot of complaints about getting no-kills in the tutorial, but I managed to stealth through it just fine.

edit: Also calling bullshit on the tranq rifle rumor, though I'm not much of a shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

What? I only used it early on but I'm pretty sure I was getting the mercy bonus while I was doing exactly that. Going to double check but yeah, this sounds like bullshit.

I've been to afraid to try it now. You can tell if you screwed it up or not when you hover over the body. If your victim is passed out, you'll see a logo with Zzz's in it, if he is dead, there will be a skull.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

This game has made me truly hate achievements. Instead of being philosophical choices, pacifism and stealth become obsessive contests.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That's not true. I got plenty of headshots with the tranq rifle (since you get the marksman bonus when you do it), and still got pacifist.

edit: Trying the no-alarm achievement again in another runthrough would be boring, I guess that's a loss. I wish I knew where I screwed up exactly though :sigh:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Just beat the game, knocking out every single exp-giving possible hostile in the game with my fists. The only augs I was missing by the end were the useless hacking loot ones, the see-through-walls mod, and the timer/flash resist mods. I also did the entire final level just by knocking people out, including the tower, without ever getting spotted, which took a solid hour of save-scumming to do and it sucked. The final level was surprisingly easy after that, with the leg mods you could jump out of reach of the crazed mobs, and it tended to mess up their AI pretty badly. After a while all of them stopped trying to attack me and also stopped showing up on my minimap, I guess since they start counting as civilians or something. Either that or they thought I was their new robot king.

Throughout the game the general tactic was sneaking around, disabling security stuff like cameras and turrets whenever possible, studying everyone's pathing, and tapping people when they couldn't hostile me and when others couldn't see me or the presumed position of the body. I also grabbed double-tap as my first aug, which was also probably the best aug I had apart from cloaking. Things I noticed was that guards magically "found out" some of their buddies got knocked out after I got too far from them, I think it had something to do with automatic quicksaving at checkpoints. When it was too much of a clusterfuck, I chugged a bunch of candy bars and stealthed it up to everyone, proceeding to tap them all as quickly as possible while cloaked.

In some places I used the silenced pistol to draw people out of everyone else' sight. Probably the worst place I can think of where I couldn't imagine any other way of doing it was in late Hengsha, when you had to get into the Harvester base. The entrance had atleast 8 of those fuckers, most of them staring at each other and never budging. After having dealt with all the guard posts set up everywhere I didn't have enough candy to go "gently caress it" with that part.

As an aside, also echoing the fact that boss fights were pretty bad. They took place in amazing settings later in the game, but it all of them just seemed like a waste of potential in an otherwise very complex and detailed game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Invisible War should just be thrown out as "not being canon" and forgotten.

I dunno, I've always maintained that IW wasn't as bad as everyone said. It had its weaknesses mechanically, but the story itself was passable. IW's core failing was having a niche-but-extremely-vocal fanbase that had trouble accepting changes that tried to make the game more appealing to people outside that demographic. The same people, tangentially, who bitch about Bioshock "dumbing down" the sacrosanct System Shock, actively ignoring that the changes actually convinced people to play Bioshock, which System Shock 2 didn't actually manage to do.

Hell, I maintain that Human Revolutions would have gotten the same reaction IW had, had it come out instead of IW. The time the franchise has been ignored has given time for gaming to rise to a much better mainstream level, allowing publishers to better disregard the kvetching how New Game X changes stuff from Old Game X. Hell, it's normally a sign that the developers are doing something right if the die-hard fanbase is bitching.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 27, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Invisible War had some great ideas. I wouldn't at all blink at the prospect of having it be canon.

The gameplay was the problem with Invisible War, not the fiction.

The one little thing I really loved about the world of DX2 was the interactive holograms of the pop star that people talk to and especially the reveal that they're being spied on through them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, there was a lot of stuff that was really in-line with the whole 'conspiracy' and 'excessive technology' angles of Deus Ex. Personally, I liked the idea of a religious war fought over technology a lot better than the premise of Deus Ex.

And mad props to them for actually having JC pretty much literally become a god, like Bob Page had hoped to do and expand on that as opposed to finding a way around it.

Plus, I always loved the fact that the default gender for Alex was female. It's the little things that count sometimes.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Office Thug posted:

In some places I used the silenced pistol to draw people out of everyone else' sight. Probably the worst place I can think of where I couldn't imagine any other way of doing it was in late Hengsha, when you had to get into the Harvester base. The entrance had atleast 8 of those fuckers, most of them staring at each other and never budging. After having dealt with all the guard posts set up everywhere I didn't have enough candy to go "gently caress it" with that part.

You can sneak in through a nearby sewer entrance. It sucks that the objective marker points to the worst possible entrance, though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Freshman posted:

I've been searching for sales numbers for days now. I just hope to loving god that this game makes Eidos lots and lots of money, so we get more games. It's be great if this was the bestselling game of 2011 or whatever - I could see it really raising the bar for FPS-RPG's in general. But that's never going to happen. Sob.

In a world where Call of Duty is the highest selling anything ever, yeah, not gonna happen. I'd be shocked if it doesn't do reasonably well, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, I've always maintained that IW wasn't as bad as everyone said. It had its weaknesses mechanically, but the story itself was passable. IW's core failing was having a niche-but-extremely-vocal fanbase that had trouble accepting changes that tried to make the game more appealing to people outside that demographic. The same people, tangentially, who bitch about Bioshock "dumbing down" the sacrosanct System Shock, actively ignoring that the changes actually convinced people to play Bioshock, which System Shock 2 didn't actually manage to do.

Hell, I maintain that Human Revolutions would have gotten the same reaction IW had, had it come out instead of IW. The time the franchise has been ignored has given time for gaming to rise to a much better mainstream level, allowing publishers to better disregard the kvetching how New Game X changes stuff from Old Game X. Hell, it's normally a sign that the developers are doing something right if the die-hard fanbase is bitching.

This, I suppose. IW is a good game, it's just not a good Deus Ex game.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really want to start a new game just so I can take a rocket launcher on the story missions in Hengsha and see if Windmill says anything unique when I offer him a bazooka during the raid.

Also, do you guys know if that $50 gift certificate from gamestop is available to people who preordered the download? It doesn't seem logical that it would, but it would still be pretty sweet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RoryGilmore posted:

That's not true. I got plenty of headshots with the tranq rifle (since you get the marksman bonus when you do it), and still got pacifist.

Well good, I am glad! That means i'm still on track for getting that achievement.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A Violence Gang posted:

The one little thing I really loved about the world of DX2 was the interactive holograms of the pop star that people talk to and especially the reveal that they're being spied on through them.

Even better was Meeting the real pop star the holograms are based on, finding out she's a horrible person, killing her, and then telling the holograms about it.

Dan Didio posted:

Plus, I always loved the fact that the default gender for Alex was female. It's the little things that count sometimes.

Gotta agree with this, the one thing that I'm missing from Human Revolution is the ability to pick genders for Jensen. Not that I don't like the character or anything, but in a perfect world, every game would give you the option. This has nothing to do with the fact that I want my character to be as much like The Major as possible, mind you.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Internet Meme posted:

You can sneak in through a nearby sewer entrance. It sucks that the objective marker points to the worst possible entrance, though.

I came out of the sewers entrance from inside the base and realized that too, but I was happier to know I'd found more people to tap. I needed to punch them. I needed to punch ALL of them!

I'm exhausted now but once I get back in the mood to replay this I think I'll do a throwing-only run. Stocking up on grenades and mines for the bosses, and just throwing crates and barrels at everyone else.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Not that I don't like the character or anything, but in a perfect world, every game would give you the option.

Counterpoint: As Mass Effect shows, a gender-choice option is generally ignored by the player base (what is it, 80% chose MaleShep?) and could strongly be argued as an utter waste of resources.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Gotta agree with this, the one thing that I'm missing from Human Revolution is the ability to pick genders for Jensen. Not that I don't like the character or anything, but in a perfect world, every game would give you the option. This has nothing to do with the fact that I want my character to be as much like The Major as possible, mind you.

I was pretty crushed when I found out gender's wouldn't be selectable in this one, I mean, y'know. I'm really not convinced it would have changed anything, and it's not like any of the dialogue is gender specific, really. I think it would have been great. Might even have helped alleviate some of the problems with the portrayal of women in this one.

Still, it sucks, but, eh, their choice. I honestly can't blame them for wanting to save some development time, especially given how rushed certain areas seem.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Picking a gender? And imply lesbianism? Why, I never!

I'm glad you can't pick a gender in this game. It's not that I dislike choice, it's just not something that feels very Deus Ex.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MisterBibs posted:

Counterpoint: As Mass Effect shows, a gender-choice option is generally ignored by the player base (what is it, 80% chose MaleShep?) and could strongly be argued as an utter waste of resources.

Counter-Counterpoint; As Mass Effect 2 shows, only about 50% of the people who played Mass Effect 2 actually finished Mass Effect 2, so by that same logic, the entire game was an utter waste of resources. Doesn't mean that more content isn't cool for the people who's like to see it. And like I said, it's a perfect world thing, where everything's sunshine and rainbows, and female protagonists in video games aren't a huge minority anyway.

Cardboard Box posted:

"Dammit, Pritchard, we're just good friends, lay off!"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I guess Hengsha has its very own Rat Man. :unsmith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm glad you can't pick a gender in this game. It's not that I dislike choice, it's just not something that feels very Deus Ex.

JC's code-name is simply two intials and a last name specifically because the name had to be gender-neutral because originally you could pick his gender. Natch.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
edit: spoilering just in case!

I have too many guns.

If I drop some guns/ammo/things in my apartment, will they remain there indefinitely, or will they disappear as soon as I leave the Chiron Building?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

triad posted:

I have too many guns.

If I drop some guns/ammo/things in my apartment, will they remain there indefinitely, or will they disappear as soon as I leave the Chiron Building?

They'll remain there for the time being.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm actually really digging the upgraded lungs aug. 5 extra seconds of upgraded sprint is awesome, it's actually tough to find a long enough straightaway to even use all of it in most areas.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triad posted:

edit: spoilering just in case!

I have too many guns.

They'll stay there the entire time you're in Detroit, but eventually you'll switch hubs and they'll disappear forever.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Ok, this was just loving convenient as gently caress and fantastic:

First trip to Shanghai:

I got to the fight against the two giant fuckoff robots. Out of EMP grenades, very little stun gun ammo. I manage to sneak up into the rooms with the security terminals. Before I look at the terminal I check if I got a praxis from murdering the gently caress out of all the guards in the prior room. 175 EXP to go. gently caress. Then I see an ebook on the table. Read the ebook, +200EXP, and I just got the praxis I needed to get the dominate robots aug. Hacked the terminal right there and disabled the robots.

Literally saved my bacon via reading.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Freshman posted:

I've been searching for sales numbers for days now. I just hope to loving god that this game makes Eidos lots and lots of money, so we get more games.

Tangentially, I hope it also helps get Square-Enix out of the hole.

My first thought was this should be a blockbuster if it could get the Mass Effect crowd, but then I actually thought about how simplistic ME2's gameplay is compared to this. I imagine there are thousands of kids at this very moment yelling at their televisions because they can't figure out the hacking or conversation systems, and "the story makes no sense" because they never look around, read anything, or even listen to the news broadcasts.

On that note, though, is the Tutorial Woman's voice the same actress as Kasumi? Sounds like it to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

Didn't you get a gender choice in Invisible War? ... good argument right there for not doing it in this one. :v:

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

Crappy Jack posted:

Counter-Counterpoint; As Mass Effect 2 shows, only about 50% of the people who played Mass Effect 2 actually finished Mass Effect 2, so by that same logic, the entire game was an utter waste of resources. Doesn't mean that more content isn't cool for the people who's like to see it. And like I said, it's a perfect world thing, where everything's sunshine and rainbows, and female protagonists in video games aren't a huge minority anyway.

"Dammit, Pritchard, we're just good friends, lay off!"

The people who actually finish games influence the less engaged people to buy more stuff. Game journalists also tend to review games that are too short or that lack content negatively.

Making a long game and adding all that extra stuff that the majority of people will never touch can be viewed as a marketing expense.

So, although the majority of users may not actually do something like pick a female main character, there's a tough-to-measure intangible benefit to marketing the game.

It's also a relatively inexpensive investment in helping the whole genre of gaming appeal to that other gender that tends to shy away from the hobby. Voice actors cost a helluvalot less than programmers.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Didn't you get a gender choice in Invisible War? ... good argument right there for not doing it in this one. :v:

I honestly don't remember. It's been a long time since I tried playing IW and I didn't get very far. I've thought about giving it another shot, but... eh.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Nope, Alex's gender was set in stone at the end of DX1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I seriously can't beat the first boss.

I've tried like 15 guides and I still get loving ruined because I barely have anything in my inventory and he always packs my poo poo in.

Well, :suicide:

• Locked thread