Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FEMA summer camp posted:

hey what about peter f. hamilton

what about him?

right?

i read fallen dragon once and it seemed really severely self-indulgent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kirk posted:

call me when someone drops off that vhs series of the original movies where you line em up and its the enterprise

I have this

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I read 'The Reality Dysfunction' last week, umpty-hundred pages with more characters than you can keep track of and the end of the book doesn't even attempt to wrap things up; nope, straight on to the next breezeblock sized publication 'The Neutronium Alchemist'... I don't think I care enough.
I couldn't get into any of those books. However the Commonwealth Saga is awesome.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

^yeah

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i read fallen dragon once and it seemed really severely self-indulgent

how'd'ya figgger?

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
commonwealth is ok space opera with a tweest. not great, not dramatic, just okish.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FEMA summer camp posted:

how'd'ya figgger?

one of the main characters, as a (fat, nerd) teenager, falls in love with a superhot teenage girl, has a lot of hot sex and transforms into a confident and fit young man (while still being brilliant), fucks it up (kinda), then goes on to have an enormously successful career as a nigh-impervious supersoldier mercenary, then at the end of the book gets to go back in time and have a do-over where he lives happily ever after with the girl he loved

also somehow it's the colony founded by CALIFORNIANS who (heh of course) become the ultra-youth-obsessed genetically engineered animal people who are supremely interconnected with their environment (although admittedly it was fun reading them kicking the poo poo out of the rear end in a top hat mercenaries... hey there's that indulgence again!)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Hamilton [and a lot of other authors] is really big on people preserving cultural identity after they move to a new planet, like People from India colonize a new world and somehow it's 100% planetwide straight-up monoculture. Seems kinda lazy to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh i forgot, he also kind of has a smug "heh, reality kicked in, interstellar travel isn't actually profitable at all" attitude about macro-level technology, but he has no problem with just furiously masturbating over how loving awesome nanotechnology is.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
is it FTL interstellar travel or boring sleeper/generation ship interstellar travel, because i can definitely see the latter not being profitable

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it was FTL

and it wasn't just like "oh we established a colony, then it went to poo poo when we realized we couldn't make money off it", it was "we somehow blew the money to establish and heavily develop a bunch of colonies before figuring out that we weren't going to make much money off this"

which then turned into "welp might as well just start literally plundering and looting the colonies every few years, gotta turn a profit somehow (b/c most of the colonies were corporate-founded iirc)"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
which on further thought doesn't make a huge amount of sense; i mean if you're going to go the whole "bean counters rule the world" thing, someone should have immediately pointed out that you don't need to blow a trillion dollars to establish a settlement light-years away, you could just build orbital O'Neill stations and excavated lunar bases for a fraction of the cost, and use robots to mine the solar system's asteroids

it's been awhile since i read the book though, maybe there's something i'm forgetting. the nanowank and the teenaged sex and the happy ending are still enough to shove the book solidly into "severely self-indulgent" in my opinion.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

space mining/colonization in general doesn't really make much sense I mean what are we going to do with an extra 8 trillion tons of iron

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah i dont really get why it wouldn't be profitable to mine useful metals from asteroids and poo poo, idk

also maybe don't start colonies in incredibly hostile environments??? maybe find some earthlike planets???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no my point is that for space mining to be even remotely profitable without magic free energy you'd need to bring back so much raw material that you'd crash the market for it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

unironically good, and it's not even about genetic mutants in giant armour suits

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

qirex posted:

no my point is that for space mining to be even remotely profitable without magic free energy you'd need to bring back so much raw material that you'd crash the market for it

not if the market for raw materials is so vast that any supplies bought in are instantly sold, whereas energy is so cheap it's like oil in the 60s and 70s due to dysonsphering the sun or w/e

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

but if we have free energy we can just recycle everything like most of the stuff humans need are organic compounds not dense metals

"welp we got nothing to eat but GODDAMN WE'RE SWIMMING IN CADMIUM I mean look at all this fuckin cadmium we're rich"

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 28, 2011

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i think the implication in most sci-fi is that there are materials you cant get on earth and those are the ones you bound across the galaxy looking for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

i think the implication in most sci-fi is that there are materials you cant get on earth and those are the ones you bound across the galaxy looking for

are any of those materials real elements and not mystery sci-fi voodoo unobtanium? [gently caress you James Cameron] because there's people talking about asteroid mining right now and I'm like :psyduck:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

space mining/colonization in general doesn't really make much sense I mean what are we going to do with an extra 8 trillion tons of iron

you narrowminded fool! if we can magnetize that we can erase every vhs tape in the galaxy!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I could maybe see harvesting hydrogen/helium from gas giants but not mining metals from planets or asteroids

edit: my avatar has hit some sort of crazy quantum state thanks to GBS mod Toby

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 28, 2011

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
e: wait nvm wth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cya later sithlords

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

qirex posted:

I could maybe see harvesting hydrogen/helium from gas giants but not mining metals from planets or asteroids

why not? if you make spaceships, and you need more space ships, you need more metals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

why not? if you make spaceships, and you need more space ships, you need more metals

it would be cheaper to build the ships where the materials are, no?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the cool thing about mining and powerplants and industry in space is that who fuckin cares about toxic waste, just vent your plutonium where ever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

likewise with mars

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

qirex posted:

it would be cheaper to build the ships where the materials are, no?

depends on if it's easy/cheaper to move a spacedock big enough to forge the metals and make the ship to where the metals are or not i guess?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

likewise with farts

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
reading Fire and Ice by George RRRRRR martin after watching the series and it's pretty impressive how closely the series stayed to the book with the exception of making most characters appropriately older

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

in space, no one can hear you cut one

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

z0ratio fartboner posted:

reading Fire and Ice by George RRRRRR martin after watching the series and it's pretty impressive how closely the series stayed to the book with the exception of making most characters appropriately older

and better looking

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im mostly just mad that he's using RR as his middle initials

i mean, ok, so like fantasy novels have been stealing ideas from tolkien since forever, now they stealin his initials too?? that aint right.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean tyrion is repeatedly referred to as monstrous and disfigured in the books, and peter dinklage ain't that. i would go so far as to say that if i was going to get it on with a male dwarf he'd be pretty high on the list

likewise brienne and a bunch of other characters - supposed to be uggos but we can't have that on tv now can we

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

qirex posted:

are any of those materials real elements and not mystery sci-fi voodoo unobtanium? [gently caress you James Cameron] because there's people talking about asteroid mining right now and I'm like :psyduck:

you have to realize that space travel in sci-fi is, quite literally, just a stand-in for sea exploration on earth. you can only get spices from the far east and you can't make them back home in england, so fleets of ships going to and-fro make sense. in translating that to space they didn't really consider the fact that in reality the resource expenditure in building a starship, sending it to planet tin and hauling back a few trillion tons of the stuff doesn't really make sense. a lot of the staples of sci-fi were developed before we even knew about this poo poo.

personally i don't care and i'm willing to look the other way because i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy so i'm satisfied. on the flip side, when i am hungry from some slightly more realistic and imaginative sci-fi there's lots of modern stuff that takes these limitations into account.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy

:hfive:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

im mostly just mad that he's using RR as his middle initials

i mean, ok, so like fantasy novels have been stealing ideas from tolkien since forever, now they stealin his initials too?? that aint right.

drat i never even realized that :wth:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trig Discipline posted:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Trig Discipline posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I thought George RRRRrrrRRRrrrRrrRrrrR Marrrrrrrrrtin said something about how he regretted making the characters so young or something?

• Locked thread