Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Fewer engines, more insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

Holy loving crap did you see the speed he was doing at 1:30 onwards!?!?! That is serious commitment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo. Sounded like a jet.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cygni posted:

sup

WHAT???

Were earplugs mandatory on that? Jeez, I can't imagine a long flight in that beast.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

Australian documentary about Qantas flight 32, the A380 that blew out an engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiITFlaafI&feature=related

Talk about some sensationalist news reporting. That reporter was unbearable. She tried so hard to get a statement out of the pilot at the end of the segment about whether or not he held RR responsible.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

iyaayas01 posted:

Slight correction...the mockup was on display at the aviation museum outside Ellsworth in Rapid City. The condition of its display was that it had to be destroyed if the museum replaced it with anything else. The museum replaced it with a real B-1 a few years back, so they destroyed it. Story here.

It was a pretty cool display though, although I can see why it'd be hard to maintain.

Getting rid of it also meant that they had a chance to put a B-1 at the center of the museum instead of a wooden model from a commercial.

DSC_0001.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

It also means that they've had the time to take care of some of the other planes they have. I mean look at the strut on this B-52, that looks amazing considering it's been sitting outside for years and years.

DSC_0035.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And they've got the time to restore some new planes to display. :)

DSC_0088.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

They also have some interesting stuff, like this EC-135.

DSC_0018.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Or a minuteman.

DSC_0012.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

An EB-57 Canberra.

DSC_0100.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

A B-26K Counter Invader that served during Vietnam.

DSC_0097.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And speaking of bombers turned into transports, this is a B-25 that was converted to be Eisenhower's transport plane.

DSC_0072.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ola posted:

Much more insanity. Thanks for posting this! The rest of that guy's videos are pretty great too. Edit: Like this one http://youtu.be/cspAZB5aPIk, 2 minutes of crisp slow-mo shots of him "grinding the crack".

Who wants to go to Switzerland?

Wombot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 4, 2011

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
New thing in the junkyard I drive past in St. Louis.

An old US-2C, formerly ASW, coverted to tow gunnery targets.

They also had a wee tank (mockup?) rusting in the backlot, and seem to turn over their stock pretty regularly. Going to have to ask them what they are up to.

S2stlouis by RReiheld, on Flickr

wee tank:

weetank by RReiheld, on Flickr

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 4, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ola posted:

That was way better than I thought it would be.

He should have tried to flare it to land though.

Pussy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Slo-Tek posted:

wee tank:

weetank by RReiheld, on Flickr

What the hell? A Panzer4? What is THAT doing sitting in a junkyard?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

MA-Horus posted:

What the hell? A Panzer4? What is THAT doing sitting in a junkyard?

Looks like some kind of wooden scale model.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

astropika posted:

Looks like some kind of wooden scale model.

That just raises further questions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like "Why is that not in my driveway?"

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

slidebite posted:

That was way better than I thought it would be.

He should have tried to flare it to land though.

Pussy.

I really am waiting for the moment someone goes for a safe landing in a wingsuit. At that point we'll be about as close to bird-flight as we could ever get.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

I really am waiting for the moment someone goes for a safe landing in a wingsuit. At that point we'll be about as close to bird-flight as we could ever get.

The speeds are still to high but there are people making very low openings on wing suits. Sooner or later someone will try, the crowd has a large contingent that lives on pushing the envelope.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

ApathyGifted posted:

Need flaps.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Also, I will never get tired of watching waterfowl flare when landing. Not ever.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

ApathyGifted posted:

The only way would be to your decent rate super low and you'd have to have some type of rollers on your underside like those dudes who have roller blade wheels all over their body and go down those mountains on YouTube.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

OptimusMatrix posted:

The only way would be to your decent rate super low and you'd have to have some type of rollers on your underside like those dudes who have roller blade wheels all over their body and go down those mountains on YouTube.

I would like to see this.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Ropes4u posted:

The speeds are still to high but there are people making very low openings on wing suits. Sooner or later someone will try, the crowd has a large contingent that lives on pushing the envelope.

This is a function of the BASE canopies being used and has nothing to do with the wingsuit. I can get into that more if people want.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

the poi posted:

I would like to see this.

He's got a bunch of videos on YouTube. Crazy rear end. But this is what I imagine you would need to even attempt a landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWK8FE5kuw

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm sat in one of Rolls Royce's plants at the minute, but apparently the security guys will give me a kicking if I wander off to take photos of stuff. :(

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Beep Beep Trijets coming through!

They were born from the FAA's guidelines of always being 60 minutes from a diversion airport (in the event of an engine loss). They had two different schools of designing the number 2 engine (in the vertical stabilizer). The most popular was an S duct where the air would enter from the top of the aircraft and be diverted down wards to the engine inside the fuselage. The other which was only used my McDonnell Douglas where the entire engine was contained in the vertical stabilizer.

L-1011 Tristar

Dassault Falcon

Boeing 727

DC-10

MD-11 Obviously the best, came at a time when Trijets were being phased out by new ETOPS certified jets like the 767 and 777.

And Lets see what our communist friends came up with in the east..:ussr:

The Tu-154 Deathmachine. So lovely that the NATO code name is actually Careless.

Yak-42

And the never built...

747-300 proposed trijet 747.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just for the record, the TU-154M has a really good safety record. The issues are essentially the same as the 727 - due to the S-Duct design, it's very difficult to retrofit the Soloviev D30s with a modern, high bypass engine, so it's difficult to comply with noise regulations which will forbid hush kits in the future. Even if you do comply with noise regulations, it's also not very fuel-efficient.

You also left out the Trident. I'll not go in to it but basically it was the 727 before the 727 launched, only the launch customer was an indecisive pack of idiots and couldn't decide what they wanted, delaying the project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_Trident

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aero737 posted:

MD-11 Obviously the best, came at a time when Trijets were being phased out by new ETOPS certified jets like the 767 and 777.

KLM still flies these; seen them in YYC, flown them MIA-AMS and back. They're quite nice inside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought someone was asking about those plates off the front gear for gravel runways on the 737-200 earlier, so I took a photo of one Saturday when I was killing a couple hours @ CYEG.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 6, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fully expect that plane to transform and stab a giant robot in the head with that spike plate.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OptimusMatrix posted:

Wingsuits have been put into climbs under the right circumstances before (granted, that was with a lot of forward speed.), but one thing you need to remember re: the flying like a bird thing:

When birds swoop in for a landing (note the mention of swooping. There's two types of landing for birds: swooping, and flapping), they actually stall their wings. Creates a SHITLOAD of drag to slow down to a stop before gravity has a chance to accelerate them to any appreciable descent rate. They maintain control using the wingtips, which they articulate to remain in a lower angle of attack while the main portion of their wings is way beyond stalling.

I think with practice that'll be possible with a wingsuit (may need some modifications to the normal wingsuit design, obviously). The problem is getting someone to actually try that poo poo, since the slightest fuckup = death.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
DC-10s have always been my favorite airliner.

I've never been on one though, maybe I need to fly KLM before they retire them.

Wikipedia posted:

Air France-KLM has sent out requests for proposals for 100 aircraft of the type A350 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner to replace these MD-11 aircraft (along with the A340s and older 747-400s of Air France). This replacement is projected to start in 2014.

D C fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 6, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D C posted:

I've never been on one though, maybe I need to fly KLM before they retire them.

KLM only had MD-11s, which are bigger and better than the DC-10s.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11/1936914/L/&sid=82ce449fe1b6a74a0cc196b3561cd067

I was on board the plane when this photo was taken :o

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

D C posted:

I think that makes you suicidal.

TriStar = best plane ever built. DECADES ahead of it's time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BonzoESC posted:

KLM only had MD-11s, which are bigger and better than the DC-10s.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11/1936914/L/&sid=82ce449fe1b6a74a0cc196b3561cd067

I was on board the plane when this photo was taken :o

Oh I know, MD-11 is a stretched DC10, same deal, no one flys DC10s anymore, unless I go to Africa or something I bet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

D C posted:

Oh I know, MD-11 is a stretched DC10, same deal, no one flys DC10s anymore, unless I go to Africa or something I bet.

Lots of DC-10s fly for cargo airlines today; along with the MD-11, they pretty much make up the backbone of FedEx's widebody fleet, amongst others.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The first plane I ever flew on was a DC-10, it still had ashtrays in it. It owned.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tremblay posted:

This is a function of the BASE canopies being used and has nothing to do with the wingsuit. I can get into that more if people want.

Look around the base board there are some people making really really low openings with wing suits, forward momentum allows you to open lower that pure vertical. I would like to hear more it you care to type..

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I flew on a DC-10 from Seattle to Chicago back in 1993. That thing is loving huge when you're 9 years old.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Minto Took posted:

I flew on a DC-10 from Seattle to Chicago back in 1993. That thing is loving huge when you're 9 years old.

I flew an A330 (on a repositioning flight) SLC-ATL last month, seemed like just another transcontinental widebody; so did the MD-11 for that matter.

Only flown 747 once, and only seen A380 twice; those are some big planes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I flew on my first 777 (United) and it was basically just another cattle-car widebody inside.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cygni posted:

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I flew on my first 777 (United) and it was basically just another cattle-car widebody inside.

I was really impressed by Virgin America's A320/A319 interior, but it's just nice visual design more than great amenities.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Virgin is quite honestly my favorite airline. I fly it LAX-JFK and LAX-SFO a few times a year and its seriously just the best. But of course my work only pays for American and United. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I think that makes you suicidal.

TriStar = best plane ever built. DECADES ahead of it's time.

The TriStar was a technological achievement undone by the fact that it was underengined and Lockheed didn't initially bother to develop any variants.

It's a perfect example of the technically advanced product not necessarily being the best. Who cares that the TriStar can autoland in zero visibility and can make smoother approaches and has a corrosion-resistant frame if it a) can't operate on your airline's longest international routes and b) has a higher cost per seat-mile?

edit: in fairness to Lockheed, the underengined thing and the lack of variants were in part due to Rolls Royce's colossal fuckups on the engine front; then again, not figuring out how to use non-RB engines would have been a decent strategic decision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 7, 2011